My Wide Receivers In The 2020 NFL Draft

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

Nice job but I think you are seriously sleeping on Henry Ruggs III.  Only guy I take over him is Jeudy; and where is Claypool?  

I explained that in my comments. I had him in my Tight Ends/ H Backs evaluation. I felt that Claypool would be a better weapon being in that position. He really is not a route runner and more of a guy to just go down the field and get open on a fly pattern and over the middle.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

Nice job but I think you are seriously sleeping on Henry Ruggs III.  Only guy I take over him is Jeudy; and where is Claypool?  

He answered the Claypool question in detail.  You just skimming man? hahaha 

I like Ruggs a little better than Tony had him here, but I'm not in the group that has him as one of the elite 3 WR's.  I like Jefferson/Mims and Shenault much better than Ruggs. Maybe Pittman too. ? 

8 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

I explained that in my comments. I had him in my Tight Ends/ H Backs evaluation. I felt that Claypool would be a better weapon being in that position. He really is not a route runner and more of a guy to just go down the field and get open on a fly pattern and over the middle.   

that might be your evaluation but he is still listed as a wide receiver and will be drafted as such. 

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Jets should be in good position to land a talented receiver in round 2 if they decide to take the tackle at 11

Absolutely.  I'm hoping they keep to OL and WR for the first 3 rds. Then they can do whatever they want.  But if we get a WR at 48 and 68 while OL at 11 and 79 this will be a very good draft. We have to try hard to mess that up if we go with that plan. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

I like Ruggs a little better than Tony had him here, but I'm not in the group that has him as one of the elite 3 WR's.  I like Jefferson/Mims and Shenault much better than Ruggs. Maybe Pittman too. ? 

I guess I missed it.  If Ruggs played for team where he was the number 1 receiver like those you mentioned I think you would have a different opinion.  I mean the guy played with Jeudy, Devonta Smith and the other dude, plus they had a great tight end.   Ruggs is more versatile than Jefferson, better route runner than Shenault and Mims and we already know he faster than all of them.  He also might be better leaper too.     Claypool is a wide receiver but he may also play some H back.   Everybody on the Mims bandwagon but I think Claypool will be just as good if not better.  

• Upvote 1

I appreciate the write up and the time that went into this and enjoyed the read. My only question is that it seems like you have 30+ players with top 10 grades and easily over 100 graded as first rounders. Can you elaborate on your grading system because the numbers don't add up.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I guess I missed it.  If Ruggs played for team where he was the number 1 receiver like those you mentioned I think you would have a different opinion.  I mean the guy played with Jeudy, Devonta Smith and the other dude, plus they had a great tight end.   Ruggs is more versatile than Jefferson, better route runner than Shenault and Mims and we already know he faster than all of them.  He also might be better leaper too.     Claypool is a wide receiver but he may also play some H back.   Everybody on the Mims bandwagon but I think Claypool will be just as good if not better.  

I hear ya but I find that Interesting. I see playing with Jeudy as some of the Reason Ruggs did as well as he did. You know with some of the attention being pulled elsewhere and such. That opens up a lot for him to thrive. I feel the same way toward Jeudy as well.  And don't get me wrong. I Love Ruggs, but just like the bigger bodied guys a bit more. I'm looking more for that physical type of game and strong blockers on top it. 

But Jim Nagy, the director of the senior bowl came out and said that for him Ruggs is WR #1 in the whole draft. So there's that too. He's a great player and lightning fast. 

An interesting thing with Claypool is that the NFL GM's actually asked him to work out as a TE at the combine due to similar thoughts as Tony here.  Then he went out and put up those insane numbers. lol 

He will be whatever the team who drafts him wants him to be, but I also see him as a bit less fluid for a WR. He's a very interesting player, but Jefferson, Mims and Shenault are my three favorite WR's in the whole draft. Pittman is the one I'm really hoping we grab though. I don't see Juedy, Ruggs, Lamb, Jefferson, Higgins, Mims and Shenault as being there for us at 48. And I would not take Claypool over Pittman for sure. 

That said I don't think Claypool is anywhere near the WR Mims is, but to be clear I'm just some fat guy with a fluffy white beard and a series of screens. lol   My opinion is just that. An opinion. :) 

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I hear ya but I find that Interesting. I see playing with Jeudy as some of the Reason Ruggs did as well as he did. You know with some of the attention being pulled elsewhere and such. That opens up a lot for him to thrive. I feel the same way toward Jeudy as well.  And don't get me wrong. I Love Ruggs, but just like the bigger bodied guys a bit more. I'm looking more for that physical type of game and strong blockers on top it. 

But Jim Nagy, the director of the senior bowl came out and said that for him Ruggs is WR #1 in the whole draft. So there's that too. He's a great player and lightning fast. 

An interesting thing with Claypool is that the NFL GM's actually asked him to work out as a TE at the combine due to similar thoughts as Tony here.  Then he went out and put up those insane numbers. lol 

He will be whatever the team who drafts him wants him to be, but I also see him as a bit less fluid for a WR. He's a very interesting player, but Jefferson, Mims and Shenault are my three favorite WR's in the whole draft. Pittman is the one I'm really hoping we grab though. I don't see Juedy, Ruggs, Lamb, Jefferson, Higgins, Mims and Shenault as being there for us at 48. And I would not take Claypool over Pittman for sure. 

That said I don't think Claypool is anywhere near the WR Mims is, but to be clear I'm just some fat guy with a fluffy white beard and a series of screens. lol   My opinion is just that. An opinion. :) 

Fair points, I like Mims too but I don't think he would be there at 48.  I would have a big smile on my face if Claypool was available at 48.  He is truly a match up nightmare.  He can even play out of the slot and I don't know if there is a better blocking Wideout in the draft.   Shenault scares me because of his injuries but if he is 100% healthy, I would ave no problem with him.   I also like Pittman but not over Claypool.  He is bigger and faster than Pittman.  Jefferson is a slot receiver and I have not seen him play the outside.    

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Yea he skimmed and he had to quote that long write up ?‍♂️ 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Fair points, I like Mims too but I don't think he would be there at 48.  I would have a big smile on my face if Claypool was available at 48.  He is truly a match up nightmare.  He can even play out of the slot and I don't know if there is a better blocking Wideout in the draft.   Shenault scares me because of his injuries but if he is 100% healthy, I would ave no problem with him.   I also like Pittman but not over Claypool.  He is bigger and faster than Pittman.  Jefferson is a slot receiver and I have not seen him play the outside.    

Yeah man, once it gets into player grouping and categories we all diverge toward one guy or another for our own reasons as it slims down. I really like Claypool. One of our Youtube followers turned me on to him a while back. he sounded a lot like you do actually now that I think about it.  lol 

He scares me a bit and I would see him being a definite 3rd rd consideration but at 48 I'm looking for the other guys mentioned if they are there. That can change tomorrow though. Shenault has those injury concerns and I could actually see him slipping a bit due to the virus landscape without physicals and med checks etc. That would be a major opportunity imo. But it would suck to finally take a shot at a #1 Wideout and have him be someone who's injured all the time. And his aggressive playing style doesn't help that concern.

I just went and dug up something I watched a couple of weeks ago on Claypool. A nice breakdown of his route running and blocking. I think you'll like it if you haven't seen it already. I enjoyed it. These are the types of vids I look for more than the highlight reels.  Check it out. It will cement your opinions about him I bet. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Yeah man, once it gets into player grouping and categories we all diverge toward one guy or another for our own reasons as it slims down. I really like Claypool. One of our Youtube followers turned me on to him a while back. he sounded a lot like you do actually now that I think about it.  lol 

He scares me a bit and I would see him being a definite 3rd rd consideration but at 48 I'm looking for the other guys mentioned if they are there. That can change tomorrow though. Shenault has those injury concerns and I could actually see him slipping a bit due to the virus landscape without physicals and med checks etc. That would be a major opportunity imo. But it would suck to finally take a shot at a #1 Wideout and have him be someone who's injured all the time. And his aggressive playing style doesn't help that concern.

I just went and dug up something I watched a couple of weeks ago on Claypool. A nice breakdown of his route running and blocking. I think you'll like it if you haven't seen it already. I enjoyed it. These are the types of vids I look for more than the highlight reels.  Check it out. It will cement your opinions about him I bet. 

Yes I have seen it.  There is one comparing Claypool and Mims and I have to admit Mims does look like the more polished receiver.  Part of it is that the ND quarterback sucked tho lol.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I believe you can just tag Tony rather than quoting his article. Causes a lot of scrolling through the page. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Yes I have seen it.  There is one comparing Claypool and Mims and I have to admit Mims does look like the more polished receiver.  Part of it is that the ND quarterback sucked tho lol.  

Mims will be ready to contribute day 1

God we really need to trade Adams to get that second first rd pick

6 hours ago, JetBlue said:

What I like when comparing Claypool to other WR is his ability to stay on the field. These more slight WR get nailed over the middle it will shake their bones loose. Claypool is like a speeding Mack truck. DB will not look to take him on

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

. DONOVAN  PEOPLE-JONES  - MICHIGAN - Here is a player who got hurt most on his Quarterbacks play. I remember watching at halftime during a Big Ten game, and Urban Meyer, former great Florida and Ohio St head coach, saying that People-Jones is a Top 10 Ten talent. No, not top ten receiver in this draft, but a top 10 pick in this draft. This is how highly this great head coach thinks of him. He stated, he has all the talent in the world, and one of the best receivers he coached against. And I agree with him. Now to be truthful there are times that People-Jones loses his focus, and drops some passes or misses a block. But many times.  I always thought it was frustration, that he is open so many times, and his QB just doesn't find him. He went to the combine, and basically showed them what coach Meyer stated. He ran a 4.48 forty, but jumped to the moon on his vertical of 44.5, being 6' 2" and 212 lbs..  I thing Michael Jordan jumped this distance. He didn't stop there, and broad jump an outstanding 139 inches. I think he was there to prove a point. With his nice size hands of 10" 1/8, I think he will prove a point that Mr. Meyer was right on him when he plays his first NFL Game.  MID TO LATE 2ND RD GRADE

I love this kid for the mid rounds. I'm an OSU fan, difficult for me to praise a wolverine but this kid is special. Looks like a LB out there against DBs. What a pair him and Pittnan would make. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, JetBlue said:

D3BA04AD-E926-4A1F-9F25-1AF55EAB7EBB.thumb.jpeg.41282ab049c60feff69e86c7b9492abd.jpeg

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, David Harris said:

If you ever quote a post that long again I’ll end you 

?

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I believe you can just tag Tony rather than quoting his article. Causes a lot of scrolling through the page. 

@JetBlue

Whenever I see a long quoted with a short response, I edit the entire quote out. I know what it's like to read the board from my phone, and how annoying that is. Tagging the author or highlighting a small section of the post and commenting on that is always preferable. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

24 WR's graded 1st-3rd round.  Wow.

More than ever I'd like to trade down.  Lamb, Jeudy and Ruggs just don't separate themselves enough from the rest of the pack to justify taking a WR at 11 with so many options available later on.

Facts. I also think that there are a few respectable Tackles in this draft as well that will even more so allow us to trade down as we can still get a solid Tackle in the 1st and pick up some quality WR's in the 2nd round as well. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, RobR said:

I appreciate the write up and the time that went into this and enjoyed the read. My only question is that it seems like you have 30+ players with top 10 grades and easily over 100 graded as first rounders. Can you elaborate on your grading system because the numbers don't add up.

When I grade someone, I am saying where they should be taken by this players talent. So for example, Dee Dee Lamb is a Top 5 Talent. His talent in any draft should be taken no longer than the 5th pick in the draft. So if he was taken 12, he fell by some teams but I feel that he deserved to be taken there. So this draft is talented so yes everyone can't go in the first round and they will fall to lower rounds where it is a steal to draft them. 

I hope you understand what I am saying.   

11 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

I dunno man.

As someone who claims to be a ND fan, that's not what Claypool is. His hangups are gamespeed related, not route running. You've got some real headscratchers on this list, including Joe Reed laughably ahead of Hodgins and Duvernay. Shenault ahead of Ruggs?  There's a thinness to your assessment that I struggle with... I appreciate your theatrical presentation and overtly radio host delivery about everything, but the content of actually fleshing out these WRs isn't all that rich. 

I'd be happy to debate some of this with you, but you've yet to take me on my invitation in the past.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I dunno man.

Sometimes i think you're strategy is to win over your audience with quantity over quality. 

As someone who claims to be a ND fan, that's not what Claypool is. His hangups are gamespeed related, not route running. You've got some real headscratchers on this list, including Joe Reed laughably ahead of Hodgins and Duvernay. Shenault ahead of Ruggs?  There's a thinness to your assessment that I struggle with... I appreciate your theatrical presentation and overtly radio host delivery about everything, but the content of actually fleshing out these WRs isn't all that rich. 

I'd be happy to debate some of this with you, but you've yet to take me on my invitation in the past.

No two people are going to agree on every prospect. We either see them differently with our eyes when they play, or they read a publication that convinces this person about that player. I remember when Mike Mayock was not a GM, but one of these draft analysts. Some of his choices were way different than Mel Kiper or McShay. So that is the nice thing about this, we all have opinions. 

Last year no one had Dalton Risner, as a top OT-G and I did. He started to get some publicity late, and on this board months before I stated great things about him. Well he was voted on the all rookie team. So again, I try to watch as much college football since I love the young men giving their all for their university. And while watching, I take notes. So yeah, we all going to have our different opinions. 

• Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

No two people are going to agree on every prospect. We either see them differently with our eyes when they play, or they read a publication that convinces this person about that player. I remember when Mike Mayock was not a GM, but one of these draft analysts. Some of his choices were way different than Mel Kiper or McShay. So that is the nice thing about this, we all have opinions. 

Last year no one had Dalton Risner, as a top OT-G and I did. He started to get some publicity late, and on this board months before I stated great things about him. Well he was voted on the all rookie team. So again, I try to watch as much college football since I love the young men giving their all for their university. And while watching, I take notes. So yeah, we all going to have our different opinions. 

Different opinions are what make the world go round. I'm not here to tell you you're wrong about a player... but I need more than just editorial theatrics.  You'll have 4-5 sentences on a player, but only really volunteer 1 thing. Shenault is good at going up and getting the ball... OK? That's enough to be head of Ruggs?.... what? 

Compare Ruggs and Raegor for me. You feel strongly enough about Raegor to have him ahead of Ruggs (which I'd wager 0/32 teams would agree with), so walk me through that particular debate.... 

You've got far too many players with "1st round grades".... last year you had like 5 players, including Hakeem Butler as a TOP 15 prospects. Meanwhile Hollywood Brown who wasn't even in your top 5 WRs was the first taken..... Butler went in the 4th round. 

I'm just skeptical is all. Use the Ruggs vs Raegor discussion to make me a believer. 

• Upvote 3

Hey Tony, always interested and appreciative of your rankings and comments, even when I disagree with some of them.  After all, that's what opinions and discussion boards are for!

I'll echo some comments on Ruggs that he needs to be higher in general, but specifically as it relates to the Jets, he should get a bigger bump.  A combination of what Gase wants to do on offense, the loss of speed merchant Robby Anderson (even with the plugin of Perriman), and the direction the NFL is going with explosive plays, the passing game and guys like Tyreek Hill ALL point me to Henry Ruggs as a very, very good fit for the Jets.

I've said this before but many draftniks and NFL analysts publish their lists and rankings from a general point of view.  It's based purely on the merits, talents, attributes and accomplishments of the player.  What they ignore (and they have to in order to provide a one-size-fits-all ranking list) is the fit, the scheme specificity and how a particular player would perform for a particular team.

It's the same things with the OTs.  As an example, I think the Jets have a guy like Josh Jones higher on their list than other teams.  I think they have Isaiah Wilson much lower.  This is due to the zone-blocking scheme, "wide splits", etc. that the Jets seem to want.  They want nimble, athletic linemen who can get out into space.  Guys like Jones do that, guys like Wilson don't.

Similarly, if I had to guess (pure guess), I'd say they really like a guy like Lamb.....but that they like someone like Ruggs even better.

Aside from the bomb to Robby Anderson vs. Dallas, one of the absolute best game-breaking plays the Jets had on offense all year wasn't made by Robby, Crowder, Griffin or even Bell.  It was made by Braxon Berrios (WR5) vs. the Raiders with a 69-yard reception off a short throw.  I think Gase prizes speed and he (rightly or wrongly) has confidence in his ability to scheme guys open.  If Gase can scheme a guy open and if Darnold isn't running for his life and can get that guy the ball....it's going to the house.  The only limit is the player's speed and elusiveness.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/highlight-braxton-berrios-gets-loose-for-69-yard-reception