CBS Sports Latest Mock - Jets Trade out of 1st Round

1 hour ago, Lith said:

This.

If the Vikings come calling, the conversation should start at their two first rounders -- 22 & 25.  And if we have to throw in one of our 3rd to make it work, so be it.  22, 25, 48 & 69 could add quite a bit of talent at positions of need in this draft.

This is exactly what I expect would JD to demand to make this trade. Now you're him and even Josh jones is gone and you have Matt Pealtz, Prince Tega and Lucas Niang all rated about the same. Why not trade back again? You could get an OT, C and G as well as 2 receivers with all the extra picks. It all depends how the draft breaks and to be clear, if Thomas, Willis or Wirfs are there at 11 I stay put.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Trading back:  Yes.

Trading out of the 1st:  No, unless we get an absolute haul.  Having 1st rounders is so important because of the 5th-year option.

We should be looking to end up with multiple first rounders, not zero first rounders.

Yes I agree.  I’m supportive of staying out or trading down.  I just don’t want to trade down too far.  However if the Vikings offer their 2 firsts I could be ok with that 

42 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Then you must be thrilled that JD essentially traded back in FA to fill a lot of holes. This strategy is actually fatal for the Jets. They won't get a single starter for the offensive line -- just projects. It's idiotic.

In free agency we pretty much only signed back-ups - players that have been in the league and proven to be only worthy of a back-up role.

Trading back - you’re drafting players with potential.  There’s an awful lot of talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of this years draft.

Are you suggesting you can’t and won’t find starting talent outside of the first round?  Because that’s what you just said.

If we could end up with 3 picks in 2nd and 4 in the 3rd. (7 picks in the top 85)but your first being around 40 instead of 11...

or 4 picks in the top 85 - with your first being 11 instead of 40.

Based on this roster and the depth of this draft at positions of need...

I’ll choose to go with more picks...

• Upvote 1

I think the Jets would likely turn 11 into 37, 58, 71, 89, and some late round stuff. Which would mean picks 37, 48, 58, 68, 71, 79, and 89 in the second and third rounds. Lots of fans would hate it but that provides opportunities to add a lot of players to a roster that frankly needs a lot of players.

Seven in the top 90. Leaves a lot of room to address fan needs while giving Douglas the leeway to address things that he's left as holes but we're not as focused on.

• Upvote 1

From what I understand from this draft, the only reason to stay at 11 and in the first round is to get a T that can start day 1 2020.  

Otherwise, there appear to be WR, CB, and T later in the draft that can start for this team.

Looking at the current top 60 players on this team (allowing for injuries), how many of them can use replacing by decent draft picks.  I woudl say at least 10.  So adding depth and quality to this roster is a no brainer.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, msena88 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-mock-draft-dolphins-trade-up-for-justin-herbert-jaguars-land-tua-tagovailoa/

This one is sure to get folks fired up, the Jets trading back twice and completely out of the first round. Is this guy insane??? Can anyone see the Jets not selecting at all in the first round?

I could see the Jets trading back into the 20's but not out of the 1st Round.  I believe a key value of a late 1st round pick is having that 5th year option built into the deal.

2 hours ago, slats said:

I'm a big fan of trading down and adding more picks. At #22, they're passing on Mims and Cleveland to move down a second time. Which would add to the frustration on day one (I could see some fresh clown paint on JD @Mogglez). Making moves like that, I'd hope that they got picks in the 2021 draft, and maybe positioned themselves to move back to the top of the second for Josh Jones or their favorite WR left. 

There are at least 5 guys taken after #22 in the 1st round that would be a fit for the Jets including a few on defense at CB and Edge (I start dodging tomatoes for mentioning D in Round 1).  

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

In free agency we pretty much only signed back-ups - players that have been in the league and proven to be only worthy of a back-up role.

Trading back - you’re drafting players with potential.  There’s an awful lot of talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of this years draft.

Are you suggesting you can’t and won’t find starting talent outside of the first round?  Because that’s what you just said.

If we could end up with 3 picks in 2nd and 4 in the 3rd. (7 picks in the top 85)but your first being around 40 instead of 11...

or 4 picks in the top 85 - with your first being 11 instead of 40.

Based on this roster and the depth of this draft at positions of need...

I’ll choose to go with more picks...

Who are you picking for LT that isn't a project?

3 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

2nd Round

37th - Josh Jones/ Austin Jackson, OT

48th - Tee Higgins, WR

58th - Sam Akers, RB

3rd Round

68th - Darrell Taylor, DE

71st - Jabari Zuniga, DE

79th - Jeff Gladney, CB

89th - (Trade for Trent Williams)

105th - Tyler Johnson, WR

This would be my selections in the double trade down opportunity. Wity so many needs we would probably be better off.

4 hours ago, Lith said:

This.

If the Vikings come calling, the conversation should start at their two first rounders -- 22 & 25.  And if we have to throw in one of our 3rd to make it work, so be it.  22, 25, 48 & 69 could add quite a bit of talent at positions of need in this draft.

Heck yes!

8 hours ago, Lith said:

Given that all 4 OTs are gone by 11, I like the idea of a trade back.  Not sure I am thrilled with a 2nd trade back.  Would really need to know what the Jets received in return for moving back 2x.  Unless I am missing something, I do not see the potential return from the multiple trades on the CBS site.

vikings probably gave up something like a 1, 2 and a 4 or in that realm based on the value chart which i would be all for.  In that scenario we could move down and still have a shot at a player like Mims while adding a 2 and a 4.  The second trade down doesnt make sense to me unless the chargers are giving up a haul to move back into the first round, which honestly it has to be to move back up to 22 from their spot in the 2nd.

The only way this makes any sense is if the Jets sign Jason Peters or Kelvin Beachum on draft day or trade a pick to the Redskins for Trent Williams. I know that Douglas gave Fant essentially starters' money but I have to think that he's going to be starting at right tackle when the season opens and the Jets' starting left tackle is not yet on the roster.

Fine, all the top tackles are off the board, but the Jets could do with a receiver like Jeudy or Lamb at pick 11. Yes, there are some almost as good prospects later in the draft, which is why the trade back to pick 22 isn't a back-breaker on its own, but it makes no sense to completely trade out of the first round unless Douglas gets a starting-calibre player in addition to the draft picks, which he does not in this mock.

This board is kind of funny. Everybody screams; Trade down! Trade down!  Acquire more picks!  People act like you'd have to be a moron not to.  Then when a scenario takes that philosophy to its natural conclusion, everybody is upset and complaining that they would be stupid to do that.  It's probably just you guys would be pissed sitting through day one without any player to  gripe about.

IMO, the difference between 11 and 22 is a way bigger deal than trading out of the first round to the top of the 2nd.  The real question is what we got.  I'm not sure how Minnesota kept their other 1st.  Are they giving us a #1 in 2021 plus other consideration?  What the hell are the Chargers giving us to move up 20 slots?  Do they really want to draft a tackle so badly that they will pass on their choice of WR? 

When has 1 draft pick  in the 1st round put a team over the top except it being for a QB? 

Look at KC, how many 1st rounders contributed to their Super Bowl win outside of Mahomes? 

If JD was able to trade back in this draft twice & net a sh*tload of picks including high picks NEXT YEAR you do it in a nano second. If you got both of the Vikings 1s, and ended up with 2s trading back into the 2nd round are you telling me that the guys picked in the 2nd round couldn't be better than the late 1st rounders? 

The draft is a CRAP SHOOT! It's about making the RIGHT PICKS! It's like we haven't learned anything about the draft. Just because the guys we had making picks were complete morons doesn't mean JD couldn't have the best draft EVER if he had a ton of picks in the 2nd & 3rd round & set himself up for a great 2021 draft too. 

I want JD to build the Jets for the next decade, not 2020. We need a LT but at #11 are you promising me we'll get Walter Jones?, or Eric Fisher? or Trey Flowers? Trading out of the 1st round isn't crazy at all depending on the haul. Go look at every mock draft & just pick a bunch of guys out of those 2nd & 3rd round choices and then tell me it's crazy. They could get STUD WRs, a STUD RB, an Edge Rusher, CB, a couple of LTs to develop. 

This is a loaded draft. A lot of talent to be added to Darnold, Bell, Crowder, Herndon, Perriman, the revamped Free Agent Oline, and a defense that is just a couple of pcs away from being REALLY DOMINENT with GW leading them. I want to take over this DIVISION over the next decade for the 1st time in our freaking HISTORY! We are the only team in the AFC East without a division run. Fins, Bills then Pats. Are you guys really that naive to believe that 1 guy picked at #11 will change our destiny?