Who ya' got?

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Best all time and best right now?

Carlin, Pryor, Murphy, Rodney

Bill Burr, Tom Segura, Brian Regan, Chapelle, Jimmy Carr, Michael McIntyre

Who ya' got?

Yep.  Plus Patton Oswalt, John Mulaney, Mike Birbiglia, Gary Gulman and Hannibal Buress.

Chappelle is the GOAT for me.    

• Upvote 1

As a kid, I still remember great, old school comics on The Ed Sullivan Show like Alan King, Jackie Vernon, Jack Carter and so many others.  The quantum shift for me was later seeing Richard Pryor and George Carlin, who IMO are the two best ever (I'm cool with either one being at the top of the list).  

A notch down were Jonathan Winters and Don Rickles, who I idolized.  Both had incredible, stream of consciousness acts.  ALWAYS had me on the floor laughing.  Winters could take a bag of props and come up with two hours of improv humor.  Rickles was an absolute assassin in front of a crowd.

After these legends, my favorites are (in no order) Rodney, Kinison, Albert Brooks (loved his bizarre early films), early Roseanne Barr, Gary Shandling, Chris Rock, Maron and Robin Williams when he was in full coke mode.

From the modern crop?  I love Patton Oswalt (so friggin' smart), Anthony Jeselnik and Sebastian Maniscalco.  And Dave Merheje and Taylor Tomlison are funny, too.

Sorry I listed so many.  I just love the whole stand up world.  IF they're funny, that is.  

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Sorry I listed so many.  I just love the whole stand up world.  IF they're funny, that is. 

It's one of the last meritocracies in existence.  Funny is funny.  If you do standup and you're funny, and have a thick skin (IE willingness to bomb some nights and shake it off), you can make it.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, PS17 said:

This is the funniest bit I've seen in a long time. Had never heard of her, but my brother shared this with me recently:

Nice routine.  She's funny.  My wife was in the room as I played this and she laughed all the way through.  Thanks for bringing her up .

I was thinking about this more.  I think there's three primary types of comedians out there that I can identify, and there's a distinct order in which I tend to favor them: 

1) Philosopher comedians.  These are guys who are very intelligent but also happen to be incredibly funny.  They have a perspective and something to say that actually makes you think.

2) Clean/simple humor comedians.  If you can be funny without going for "shock value", I like you more than the 3rd group.  These guys tend to just be "observational" comics rather than ones with serious viewpoints.  They also include a lot of "one liner" comics.  

3) Raunchy comedians.  This comedy has the least value to me.  If you're incapable of making people laugh without being gross, I'm usually not a fan.  But there are still comedians in this group that I like.

My favorite comedians from Group 1 include:

• Dave Chappelle
  • Patton Oswalt
  • Bill Burr
  • George Carlin
  • Louis C.K. (though I liked him a lot less after the scandal; he seemed to be a guy with a moral compass, but was pulling that sh*t?  Not good.)

Group 2:

• Jerry Seinfeld
  • John Mulaney
  • Jim Gaffigan
  • Brian Regan
  • Demetri Martin
  • Mitch Hedberg

Group 3:

• Tom Segura (only one I can really think of at the moment that I like)

I'm not sure which of the above groups Kevin Hart fits in, but he'd be on my favorite comedian list somewhere.  He's a mixture of Groups 2 and 3.  Hannibal Burress is in that arena as well.

• Post of the Week 1

49 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I was thinking about this more.  I think there's three primary types of comedians out there that I can identify, and there's a distinct order in which I tend to favor them: 

1) Philosopher comedians.  These are guys who are very intelligent but also happen to be incredibly funny.  They have a perspective and something to say that actually makes you think.

2) Clean/simple humor comedians.  If you can be funny without going for "shock value", I like you more than the 3rd group.  These guys tend to just be "observational" comics rather than ones with serious viewpoints.  They also include a lot of "one liner" comics.  

3) Raunchy comedians.  This comedy has the least value to me.  If you're incapable of making people laugh without being gross, I'm usually not a fan.  But there are still comedians in this group that I like.

My favorite comedians from Group 1 include:

• Dave Chappelle
  • Patton Oswalt
  • Bill Burr
  • George Carlin
  • Louis C.K. (though I liked him a lot less after the scandal; he seemed to be a guy with a moral compass, but was pulling that sh*t?  Not good.)

Group 2:

• Jerry Seinfeld
  • John Mulaney
  • Jim Gaffigan
  • Brian Regan
  • Demetri Martin
  • Mitch Hedberg

Group 3:

• Tom Segura (only one I can really think of at the moment that I like)

I'm not sure which of the above groups Kevin Hart fits in, but he'd be on my favorite comedian list somewhere.  He's a mixture of Groups 2 and 3.  Hannibal Burress is in that arena as well.

Very well thought out post.  Where would you place Jim Norton?  He's kind of a hybrid between philosopher and gross.  And very funny.

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Very well thought out post.  Where would you place Jim Norton?  He's kind of a hybrid between philosopher and gross.  And very funny.

Not a huge fan of Norton, I was just listing off my favorites in each group.  But yeah, I supposed he'd be a Group 1/3 hybrid!

• Upvote 1