Fauci:No fans to have sports

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Hey even if they play in empty stadiums that’d still be pretty cool

I think the exact opposite. I still watch UFC and still somewhat of a pro wrestling fan when there is nothing else on. 

having it empty venues just didn’t feel the same, even watching it on TV. 

fans and sports to me are something that feed off each other. Not having one will have a direct impact on the other in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

This guidance on sports knocks out the preseason for sure. 2020 season is not happening if I can read in between the lines. I’m going to go cry now 

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/29038491/dr-anthony-fauci-promotes-single-site-fan-free-return-sports

No offense, but I don't think you can read between the lines.  It seems to me you are doing the exact opposite and preparing for the worst, even if that's not what is being indicated.

Also, what in that article knocks out a preseason "for sure"?

We are facing similar challenges in England (and Europe). There are 92 league fixtures to complete in the Premier League, a domestic Cup competition to finish, and a European club competition, and then the Euros National team competition in the Summer. 

All of those competitions and matches were supposed to be well finished by July. 

I would say Europe’s ability to manage these competitions will go some way to show how the US will follow suit.

The latest we’ve been told is that everything will be crammed into a few weeks, behind closed doors, with all teams and club employees essentially locked away from the real world for the duration. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

No offense, but I don't think you can read between the lines.  It seems to me you are doing the exact opposite and preparing for the worst, even if that's not what I'd being indicated.

OP is not much of an "explainer"

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, jbt said:

Rather that then nothing.  Will home team be allowed to put in crowd noise? 

Interesting thought.  Even if they don't, the NFL and their TV partners should start as soon as they can on how to add it for the TV product.

Just our luck too, Brady finally leaves our division and once we play again Le'Veon Bell will be one year older.

There will be no Football. This virus is going to start to attack other states as we see today in N.Y. In Florida and other states we can predict the future (New York) which got hit the hardest because of population but this virus is going to get worse (outside of NY) before better. 

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

No offense, but I don't think you can read between the lines.  It seems to me you are doing the exact opposite and preparing for the worst, even if that's not what I'd being indicated.

Nothing.

There is nothing stopping sports from coming back  (without fans). The numbers will plummet pretty soon and with social distancing/masks, some level of herd immunity we should be able to slowly go back to some form of "normal."

The problem is what happens when football comes back and Tom Brady gets Covid. Do you quarantine the entire team? Do you quarantine the teams the Bucs played against the last 2 weeks? 

There are always a few ignorant players, in every sport, that will go to a party and get exposed. You can't lockdown an entire professional sports league in hotels for months. Even if it is with their families. The kids will go to school, spouses will go to work and get exposed etc.. 

The only sports that i can see continue without any problem are non-contact sports like Golf and to a lesser extent baseball. The contact sports are going to  have to decide if they just play the season and treat players that get covid like players that got the flu in the past and just isolate them and just mass test the players every day to limit the chance of a spread throughout the league. 

12 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

No offense, but I don't think you can read between the lines.  It seems to me you are doing the exact opposite and preparing for the worst, even if that's not what is being indicated.

He says the summer the preseason is in August. There will be no work outs or camp. Player union will be worried about massive injuries. You think metlife is Gona get packed out in August? Honestly 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

"

The problem is what happens when football comes back and Tom Brady gets Covid. Do you quarantine the entire team? Do you quarantine the teams the Bucs played against the last 2 weeks? 

That's where testing comes in, and tons of it.  The situation you outline above isn't unique to sports, it's going to be every business that has an office in the country that has to answer how to handle those types of situations.

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

Without a vaccine or a treatment the players will have something to say about this 

its not happening 

Agree 100%.  Multi millionaire players know only one thing - it's better to be a living multi millionaire than a dead multi millionaire.

Half of the league has been whining about expanding the season by one game.  You think they'll all miraculously be on board with playing games  under the risk of death?  Never in a million years.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

He says the summer the preseason is in August. There will be no work outs or camp. Player union will be worried about massive injuries. You think metlife is Gona get packed out in August? Honestly 

The ENTIRE article is about no fans being present. Why would you ask if anyone expects the stadium to be packed?  Did you even read the article?

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

Without a vaccine or a treatment the players will have something to say about this 

its not happening 

The players will want to get paid. 

Who won't want to play? Maybe a handful of veterans that have made a ton of money, invested well and can maintain their lifestyles without a paycheck this year. Maybe a few players like Josh Rosen. Well, they don't have to play if they don't want. 

Considering the players age and health these guys aren't really at risk. Aside from the random case of a healthy 30 year old dying, you really don't see this effecting the young. That doesn't mean they can't seriously sick and even die, they can but if I was a player I would be more nervous of getting seriously hurt in the game then MAYBE getting Covid and then MAYBE getting really sick and then MAYBE dying from a disease that doesn't really effect healthy young people. 

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That's where testing comes in, and tons of it.  The situation you outline above isn't unique to sports, it's going to be every business that has an office in the country that has to answer how to handle those types of situations.

Agreed. But I am not sharing a lockerroom with my co-workers. I am not tackling my co-workers in a pile. The level of contact in football is far greater than other businesses. 

The good news is that other sports leagues around the world are already opening up or close to opening up. They will hopefully work out the kinks. Sports leagues will learn from each other and by September the NFL should be prepared for all of these possibilities. 

4 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

The 4 major sports need to follow the blueprint of horse racing. They have been able to keep quite a few tracks open and run without fans. Idc if you think it won’t be the same, do you want to have sports or not? Let’s take what we can get people. 

Horse Racing is the global warming of sports...everyone knows its bad and its an issue but, no one cares.

3 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

those of you who think this is gonna get back to "normal" quickly have something else coming for yas...but, I will let you learn the hard way.  We are in for the long haul with this whole thing.

Who here says things are going to back to normal quickly? Having games in September with no fans and massive levels of testing/precautions in place is not normal. 

3 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Horse Racing is the global warming of sports...everyone knows its bad and its an issue but, no one cares.

1. Why do you think it’s bad?

2. It doesn’t matter what you think of it they’ve been able to continue successfully without fans in attendance. Even at tracks that draw good numbers. 

14 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

those of you who think this is gonna get back to "normal" quickly have something else coming for yas...but, I will let you learn the hard way.  We are in for the long haul with this whole thing.

Has anyone said they think that?  Is playing professional sports with empty arenas and potentially quarantined teams normal?