Defense Wins Championship(s) 2020 Jet Nation Mock Draft (Building around Sam Darnold

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I don't even need to see the picks....  I trust the average Jets fan could do no worse than Idzik or MAC.  We may have had the worst back to back GM tandem in the history of the NFL.

Tannenbaum and Bradway were pretty awful, too.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The fourth tackle taken in the 2014 NFL draft was Zack Martin.

Wrong.

Zack Martin is a Guard. And was the 1st Guard drafted. 

Ja'Wuan James was the 4th Tackle Selected and there is no way you take him over the likes of Odell Beckham Jr and Mike Evans @ WR. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Wrong.

Ja'Wuan James was the 4th Tackle Selected and there is no way you take him over the likes of Odell Beckham Jr and Mike Evans @ WR. 

Martin played tackle at Notre Dame.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

You can not fix the O-Line over night, it's impossible but Sam Darnold needs weapons and not only did I provided him with 4 offensive play makers (one draft) but I also provided him with two high Offensive Lineman 2nd and 3rd round(s) and put Joe Douglas in position to focus on nothing but O-Line, CB - Edge come next year's draft class. 

QB: Sam Darnold. 

RB: A fully loaded backfield featuring 1-2 Punch of an All-Pro LeVeon Bell for Thunder and Lightning in Cam Akers who's the next Dalvin Cook and just as talented as (im an FSU fan since 15). 

WR Room now fully loaded featuring Jerry Jeudy, Jamison Crowder, Van Jefferson, Breshad Perriman and Isaiah Hodgins. 

TE's in Chris Herndon and Ryan Griffin.

And suddenly our offensive attack is fully loaded (over night) behind a much improved JD Offensive Line. 

Not a bad draft at all.  Some good interesting picks.  I am curious what WRs were available when you took Cam Akers.  We could grab Antonio Gibson in the 4-5 rds, if there was a stud WR at 3rd pick...ala Pittman/claypool/peoples. Or we could grab a good CB with the Akers pick.  I will say though that we really Really need to get it right at OT, so I am wary of not using our first pick on OT, unless JD is POSITIVE there are OTs later in the 2-3rd.  

• Upvote 1

I like most of it, but honestly 3 WR is a waste.  The 3rd one is a late round pick, so it's not that big a deal, but I wouldn't do that, I'd much rather take a later round corner, safety (yes I said it), or some other defensive player to help on special teams.

Also, while I don't like drafting punters, I have watched Braden Mann for the last 2 years out of A&M (wife is an Aggie), he is insanely good.  He is the very rare punter worthy of a 5th rounder, he is just unbelievable at flipping the field, or pinning the ball inside the 10.

Wilson is from Brooklyn, so my son met him at a few times; nice kid.Know his HS coach very well.  Jim Harbaugh tried like crazy to get him . His high school team picture is hysterical because he is so much HUGER than everyone else. Would be a solid OL addition. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Wrong.

Cowboys drafted him to play guard, but he started every game (over 50) at tackle in college.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Yup.  Jones is a day one starter in the eyes of many evaluators.  I tend to agree.  

Agreed. And I wouldn't be surprised to learn that JD actually has Jones rated higher than some of the 'top 4" group.  Jones is a very interesting player that would allow for a short trade back to gain a 3rd. That 3rd can be used to trade back ups into the 1st or to take one of the Guards that will still be hanging around. Jackson, Simpson and Lemieux will all still be there in the 3rd and are starting caliber players. Or we could use that pick to sprinkle in defense. The 3rd rd CB's and Edge are kinda the sweet spot imo. Anae and Okwara are my main targets for edge. 

Jones changes everything .

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

A few nice picks in there but unless the top  5 OT's are gone at 11, Joe D is taking one there or moving down.  He's building an NFL team, not a fantasy football team.

This is a bizarre take that I've seen you say a few times now.  If Joe D takes a WR at #11 it's not because he's trying to create a fantasy football team (whatever that means) but because he has that player rated higher than whoever you think he should take at OT.  He went out and prioritized Fant IMO for that flexibility and he can just as easily take an OT in the 2nd or 3rd or 4th round.  WR is arguably a bigger need than OL after this offseason and taking a WR who can consistently get open also helps the OL.  Sam needs weapons just as much as he needs protection.  The Jets currently have by far the worst WR core in the NFL.  It fills a need just as much if not more than OT. 

That said, my preference is OT but I'm not going say some stupid sh*t like Joe D is trying to create fantasy football team because he prefers his #1 WR over his #5 OT.  Just a terrible take. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, viffer said:

You lost me at this pick, and I was with you for the first two. We need receivers much more than we need running backs. With the quality of receivers in this year's draft we can get 2 great receivers, and should probably pick up another decent one in the middle/later rounds. Just because we can get a decent receiver in round 4 or 5 doesn't mean we should pass up taking a good/great receiver in round 3.

I may have lost you but I watched almost every game of his career.

Me being a die hard FSU fan I've been absolute love with Cam Akers overall game (Le'Bell is getting older).

He is by far and without question one of the top 5 FSU Running Backs of All-Time and just as talented as the likes of Warrick Dunn, Dalvin Cook, Devonta Freeman and much more talented than Leon Washington (who we all loved);

Cam Akers is an overall animal of an electrical play maker and fits the mold of an Florida State dual threat HB to a Tee (spitting image of one). 

These aren't my two favorite games of his but since we have a lot of Syracuse fans here on JN just take a closer look into these two games...

He's awesome regardless if passing on a 3rd round WR (after selecting Jeudy and before two other WR's).

20 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Without seeing who else is available  in your mock, it is impossible  to judge this. I can go pick a bunch of random players as well but without any supporting  evidence that they are the best players for us given the order, this is pretty pointless. 

Well that's the thing. I've followed this draft class for months on end now. This mock wasn't based off of just one person's mock draft (as he could be wrong on the big board) this was based off a collective with multiple mock drafts where all of these players have been available for us within at lest 75 of the mocks I've studied. 

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

This is a bizarre take that I've seen you say a few times now.  If Joe D takes a WR at #11 it's not because he's trying to create a fantasy football team (whatever that means) but because he has that player rated higher than whoever you think he should take at OT.  He went out and prioritized Fant IMO for that flexibility and he can just as easily take an OT in the 2nd or 3rd or 4th round.  WR is arguably a bigger need than OL after this offseason and taking a WR who can consistently get open also helps the OL.  Sam needs weapons just as much as he needs protection.  The Jets currently have by far the worst WR core in the NFL.  It fills a need just as much if not more than OT. 

That said, my preference is OT but I'm not going say some stupid sh*t like Joe D is trying to create fantasy football team because he prefers his #1 WR over his #5 OT.  Just a terrible take. 

Thank you JiF.

I didn't think selecting Jerry Jeudy was considered as fantasy football (as I haven't signed up for fantasy football since dating back to 2009 where I finished last place with too many Jets and only other NFC players) because I absolutely hate the thought of having to root for AFC Players come Sunday's. 

So my thought process wasn't Fantasy Football but rather A.) taking the prized #1 WR within a historical WR draft class B.) Drafting position of need as Perriman is currently our #1 outside WR on a WR depleted roster and C.) The first 1st round WR we've selected since dating back to 19 years ago in Santana Moss (2001) and 24 years ago since Keyshawn Johnson (1996). 

Can't please everyone (but I tried). 

33 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Wilson is from Brooklyn, so my son met him at a few times; nice kid.Know his HS coach very well.  Jim Harbaugh tried like crazy to get him . His high school team picture is hysterical because he is so much HUGER than everyone else. Would be a solid OL addition. 

I have really liked Wilson for a while, but recently, it seems, so does everyone else as his name keeps coming up. I doubt he makes it anywhere near our 2nd round pick. We will have to trade up for him. If one of his top OT's is still there in Round 1 Joe has to go that way.

39 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I like most of it, but honestly 3 WR is a waste.  The 3rd one is a late round pick, so it's not that big a deal, but I wouldn't do that, I'd much rather take a later round corner, safety (yes I said it), or some other defensive player to help on special teams.

Also, while I don't like drafting punters, I have watched Braden Mann for the last 2 years out of A&M (wife is an Aggie), he is insanely good.  He is the very rare punter worthy of a 5th rounder, he is just unbelievable at flipping the field, or pinning the ball inside the 10.

Defense was a after thought for me heading into this draft. We can focus on CB and Edge next year as our offense has too much catching up to do (behind a delayed it head start).

Loved our Gregg Williams led Defense last year.

With an All-Pro Middle Linebacker returning (C.J Mosley).

Another veteran leader and an absolute tackling machine returning (120 tackles as a 1st year Jet of 2018) who's still only 28 years of age (Avery Williamson).

Last years 1st round draft pick and developing Quinnen Williams (out of Alabama) now heading into year number two with rookie experience under his belt. 

An underrated Free Agent addition to our Secondary (one that I'm high on) in Pierre Desir as a proven number one CB on the Outside (veteran @ 29 years old). 

The return of Brian Poole who unlike last year, we now know heading into 2020's draft that he's established himself as  one of the NFL's top Nickel Backs in coverage (only 27 years of age).

The return of Jordan Jenkins (as an outside edge setter and strong against the run) with 15.0 Sacks/15.0 tackles for loss over the previous two seasons.

The experience gained (due to injury) for the likes of James Burgess who led our Defense with 80 tackles last year and 4th in tackles of loss (only 26 years of age).

The experience gained (due to injury) for the likes of Neville Hewitt who tied Jamal Adams for our Defense with 75 tackles along with 2 INTs and 3.0 Sacks (only 27 years of age). 

Blessuan Austin / Arthur Maulet / Kyle Phillips / Folorunso Fatukasi were all underdogs heading into 2019 (unknown question marks) and all began to make plays all over our defense last year under Gregg Williams. 

All of that, to say this:

We're currently featuring a Self Made (top 10 NFL) Defense that is already in place (and ready to win/lead).

While being led by the likes of three natural born leaders in Gregg Williams, C.J Mosley and Jamal Adams.

Our 2020 Defense is already - playoff ready

Our 2020 Defense is starting to remind me of our Rex Ryan's Defense before heading into our 2009 draft (Sanchez); with the same sense that we're simply an Offensive Attack away from our Defense leading us back to the playoffs.

The difference is that (heading into 2020 behind an top notch defense) we've already got our Franchise QB in Sam Darnold locked in place (heading into his 3rd year).

We're featuring a Franchise QB in order to build around (and attack this draft for).

And now was the time to build around him.

I built around Sam throughout this draft. 

(Giving Joe Douglas an opportunity to attack O-Line/Edge/CB 2021)

• Thumb Down 2

3 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

This draft sucks and I'll tell you why: Nobody with a name ending in IANO is going to succeed in the NFL. Rich Miano is as close as we will come. That they squeezed in a Buoniconti is already too much to ask.

Who cares about the name; it's all about the bloodline. 

You all do not know your Italian history....

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

There are no good Italian athletes.

Joe Montana top 1-2 QB of All-Time says... Hello. 

Dan Marino (another All-Time top 5-10 QB All-Time).

Joe Joe DiMaggio

Rocky Marciano.

Ray Mancini

Vince Lombardi (coach). 

Lou Ferrigno (I'm 50% Italian from my moms side and 50% Irish from my fathers side) but talk bad about us Italians and he'll break you in half. 

Mike Piazza

Phil Esposito (HOF Hockey player).

Mario Andretti (race car)

jun-15-1979-philadelphia-pa-usa-sylveste

3 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

But I thought defense wins championships?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

We already have a top 10 defense in place and at full strength easily a top 1-5 Defense being led by 3 leaders in Gregg Williams, C.J Mosley and Jamal Adams (already - playoff reason.

It's our offense who must improve in order to make the playoffs and make any noise. 

And I feel confident that I improved our entire Offensive Attack throughout my draft. 

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Feels like you picked a bunch of middling talents there, almost intentionally. No wonder you love Jamal Adams so much.

So is what you're saying is that I just drafted 7 All-Rookie team members and 7 future Pro-Bowl and 7 future (soon to be within 3 years) All-Pro First-team selections? 

Thank you for the compliments Th0amShane.

2 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

You can not fix the O-Line over night, it's impossible but Sam Darnold needs weapons and not only did I provided him with 4 offensive play makers (one draft) but I also provided him with two high Offensive Lineman 2nd and 3rd round(s) and put Joe Douglas in position to focus on nothing but O-Line, CB - Edge come next year's draft class. 

QB: Sam Darnold. 

RB: A fully loaded backfield featuring 1-2 Punch of an All-Pro LeVeon Bell for Thunder and Lightning in Cam Akers who's the next Dalvin Cook and just as talented as (im an FSU fan since 15). 

WR Room now fully loaded featuring Jerry Jeudy, Jamison Crowder, Van Jefferson, Breshad Perriman and Isaiah Hodgins. 

TE's in Chris Herndon and Ryan Griffin.

And suddenly our offensive attack is fully loaded (over night) behind a much improved JD Offensive Line. 

I like most of your draft but I think you are letting your "homerism" cloud your decisions at WR.  Van Jefferson is a good player but I think Quez Watkins will be better and is definitely faster.   Same with Hodgins, I would rather go with AGG.   Also, we need another Corner back depending who was available in the later rounds, that would have been a better pick.    Also have to agree about your Edge Rusher.   Are you sure there weren't any higher rated players available? 
Overall solid draft but much will depend on if Wilson can become a starting OT in Gases system. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Wide receviers are more important than offensive linemen in the world of fantasty football.  In real football, not so much.

He is the GM of a real football team, so this is the approach I believe he will take. 

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Thank you JiF.

I didn't think selecting Jerry Jeudy was considered as fantasy football (as I haven't signed up for fantasy football since dating back to 2009 where I finished last place with too many Jets and only other NFC players) because I absolutely hate the thought of having to root for AFC Players come Sunday's. 

So my thought process wasn't Fantasy Football but rather A.) taking the prized #1 WR within a historical WR draft class B.) Drafting position of need as Perriman is currently our #1 outside WR on a WR depleted roster and C.) The first 1st round WR we've selected since dating back to 19 years ago in Santana Moss (2001) and 24 years ago since Keyshawn Johnson (1996). 

Can't please everyone (but I tried). 

So in a historically deep WR class that has only a few starting tackles, you take the WR because you have Perriman as your no. 1 receiver on a one-year deal?  This leaves George Fant as your starting LT protecting Darnold? To each his own.

50 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Who cares about the name; it's all about the bloodline. 

You all do not know your Italian history....

Joe Montana top 1-2 QB of All-Time says... Hello. 

Dan Marino (another All-Time top 5-10 QB All-Time).

Joe Joe DiMaggio

Rocky Marciano.

Ray Mancini

Vince Lombardi (coach). 

Lou Ferrigno (I'm 50% Italian from my moms side and 50% Irish from my fathers side) but talk bad about us Italians and he'll break you in half. 

Mike Piazza

Phil Esposito (HOF Hockey player).

Mario Andretti (race car)

jun-15-1979-philadelphia-pa-usa-sylveste

You forgot Carmen Basilio, Tony Canzoneri, Craig Biggio, Nino Benvenuti, the entire history of Italian soccer, Willie Pep, Tony Demarco, Yogi Berra, Tommy Lasorda, Alberto Tomba, Vito Antefuermo, Arturo Gatti, Frank Viola, John Franco (from my neighborhood) ... I'm going to stop here

Thanks for the lesson!

18 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Wide receviers are more important than offensive linemen in the world of fantasty football.  In real football, not so much.

He is the GM of a real football team, so this is the approach I believe he will take. 

If you read my post, I agree that OT would be the preferred approach but at what cost?  Sacrificing your #1WR who might be higher than your #5 OT on your big board?  Both are huge needs and WR is arguably the larger gap.  Plus, we dont truly know how JD/Gase feel about Fant.  There has been a lot of smoke around WR with the Jets, they might believe they have their LT.  I've mentioned this in another thread, Fant is very much like a draft pick only you have some legit tape on him.  You're not signing him because of what he's done but for what he can do, very similar to a draft pick. 

It just sounds foolish to say he's drafting for fantasy football if he decides to take the best player at a premium position that happens to be a huge weakness on the roster and very important to Sam Darnold's development. 

4 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

This draft sucks and I'll tell you why: Nobody with a name ending in IANO is going to succeed in the NFL. Rich Miano is as close as we will come. That they squeezed in a Buoniconti is already too much to ask.

Starting around the 40 second mark...

Watch my 6th round Sack Artist who's made a living off of living in the backfield with game changing plays and tackles for loss (behind the Line of Scrimmage) absolutely destroy, embarrass and breeze right by (everyone's so called "1st round OT") in Josh Jones out of HOUSTON with explosion, quickness, form and technique

Kid is going to develop and become into an absolute animal on Sundays. A so called 6th rounder schooling a projected 1st round OT one on one. 

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

If you read my post, I agree that OT would be the preferred approach but at what cost?  Sacrificing your #1WR who might be higher than your #5 OT on your big board?  Both are huge needs and WR is arguably the larger gap.  Plus, we dont truly know how JD/Gase feel about Fant.  There has been a lot of smoke around WR with the Jets, they might believe they have their LT.  I've mentioned this in another thread, Fant is very much like a draft pick only you have some legit tape on him.  You're not signing him because of what he's done but for what he can do, very similar to a draft pick. 

It just sounds foolish to say he's drafting for fantasy football if he decides to take the best player at a premium position that happens to be a huge weakness on the roster and very important to Sam Darnold's development. 

That's if you believe WR is a premium position.  The 20 or so best receivers I've seen over the past 15-20 years don't have a single ring between them.

The best tackles (Pace, Ogden, Peters) all do.

QB, edge, CB, LT are the premium positions.

In this class, depending on who you listen to, there are 25-30 wide receivers who ware immediate starters.  At OT, there are six or seven.  If you pass on an OT in round 1, you're not getting a starter in round 2.  If you pass on receiver in rounds 1, 2 and 3, you still might get a starter in round 4 or 5.

My hope is that Douglas will address premium positions that are in short supply and then grab 2-3 receivers later on.

Could come away from the draft with 4-5 immediate new starters.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I like most of your draft but I think you are letting your "homerism" cloud your decisions at WR.  Van Jefferson is a good player but I think Quez Watkins will be better and is definitely faster.   Same with Hodgins, I would rather go with AGG.   Also, we need another Corner back depending who was available in the later rounds, that would have been a better pick.    Also have to agree about your Edge Rusher.   Are you sure there weren't any higher rated players available? 
Overall solid draft but much will depend on if Wilson can become a starting OT in Gases system. 

That's the beautiful thing about not only an NFL mock but the actual draft as well, is that we all like different players and all feel differently. 

But I will say this. Van Jefferson wasn't that as a homer it's the complete opposite as I'm FSU fan and never root for Gator players but this kid is going to become special man. 

First off I would like to commend you for the effort. You obviously did your homework and your research and put together a nice post.

Let me follow by saying that I am not as high on Jerry Jeudy as many other people especially at #11. In fact I'm really 50-50 on whether or not his talents will actually translate to the NFL. He's a slot receiver at the next level he is not a #1 WR.  He's going to be playing with the big boys now. The Best of the Best.

Now for the bad news. Although DWC did his homework and tried to find some Diamonds in the Rough, this is a fine example of why we should not take a wide receiver with the 11th pick. By taking a tier 1 wide receiver at 11 the value at every other pick decreased an entire tier. So instead of taking a tier-1 tackle or trading down , you took a tier 1 wide receiver and a tier 2 tackle. And then every pick after that was a tier 3 or lower. I hope you're following me?  Now let's pretend Jerry Jeudy blows out his ACL in training camp.  How's the rest of your draft look now? At this point you're hoping you got some contributors and some backups. That's all.

So my point is Jeudy, Ruggs, or Lamb at pick 11 would be a luxury and we are not there yet. It's nice to want, but we have to be disciplined. You don't buy a ring before you meet right girl. Don't worry about the cake until you set the date.

Below is a mock draft I did yesterday. You will see that I have at least five opening day starters in all three phases. If one of them were to go down to injury the others are still starters. So prioritizing value at each tier is what is most important.

20200416_043811.png

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

Exactly if we don't fall for the fool's gold at 11 we can get a combo of receivers later in the draft. That is my point exactly we will get better players at every other pick if we go in order of priority of position. I would love Antonio Gandy Golden and quez Watkins! And Isaiah Wilson is a second-tier tackle at best.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

I can list you All-Time Great 1st Round WR's who weren't fantasy WR's but All-Time Legendary HOF Greats who provided their QB's with excellent weapons and pass catching options. 

Let me ask you this. When we had GREAT O-Lineman during Pennington's years and GREAT O-Lineman during Mark Sanchez years, why did our offenses always suck who couldn't move the ball outside of Curtis Martin and Thomas Jones?

Well.

Um.

Say hello to 1996 Keyshawn and 2001 Santana Moss 24 and 19 years ago as the LAST TIME WE'VE DRAFTED A 1st Round WR and guess what?

Sam Darnold deserves way more. 

And in closing stop acting like a former O-Lineman himself MUST draft 1st round O-Lineman in order to rebuild his O-Line;

why in the pigs flying would we ever make a big deal about Joe Douglas being a "former O-Lineman himself" to begin with?

if he can't scout awesome O-Lineman within the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds? HAHAHAH!

Jerry Jeudy or CeeDee Lamb is what Sam Darnold NEEDS 1st round while Joe Douglas uses his expertise and DOES HIS JOB of finding 2nd, 3rd and 4th round O-Lineman etc. 

Great O line with Chad = Horrid offenses. . 

Great O line for Sanchez = Crap offenses. 

Haven't drafted WR's in 1st round since 1996 and 2001 is saying hello (to you) right now... 24 and 19 years lol

8 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Theme of my Draft is Offense, Offense, Offense, Offense, Offense and More Offense

(Sam Darnold Time)

Theme of my reply: Medication, Medication, Medication, Medication, Medication and More Medication 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1