I wish someone had warned me

I never had a dog growing up. Neither did my wife. But when the kids were little, I gave in to the pressure and we got a dog. I can not imagine ever having a better dog. At different stages of their lives, he was a best friend to each of my kids going absolutely everywhere with them. All of the neighbors know and love him. sh*t, people would drive to the house to visit him.  I always scoffed at dog-people saying their dog was part of their family, but now I get it. Tragically, rather than get to enjoy his golden years lying on the porch with my wife and I and stuffing his face with treats, he started to have difficulties getting up and walking a few of months ago. No problem. He's an older dog. They get arthritis. And, they make a lot of wonderful supplements and medications for that. After his condition only worsened while on supplements and meds, we learned he has degenerative myelopathy. Think Lou Gehrig's disease for dogs. Now, he can barely walk and he constantly falls. He cries in frustration at not being able to be at our side if we leave the room. Today we are bringing him to his "final" vet appointment. I am beyond upset at the prospect of losing my dog and totally pissed that I even have to make the decision to put him down. I feel the same obligation to protect and provide for that dog like he's one of my children.  And I am helpless. Absolutely helpless. What I wouldn't give for him to get to have one more healthy day to play in the yard.

When people encouraged us to get a dog, they NEVER mentioned THIS day. People deserve to know. A dog will give you tons of happiness and become part of your family. But, he's going to die and it will not likely be a peaceful in his death sleep. And you may in fact be the one who has to make the decision for him as to when his suffering is to the point that death is preferable. But, Jesus! The dog can't talk and there will always be that kernel of doubt as to whether you are doing the right thing. 

Truly sorry for your loss. Its really tough. One of my most vivid memories as a kid was my mom making that decision for the family dog I had my whole life up to that point (11 years, dog was almost 14). She came running out of the back room at the vet balling her eyes out. Up till then I didnt understand and hated her for doing it, after I still thought she was selfish but atleast not callous. As an adult I understand why she did what she did and know she made the right decision.

Terrible all around.

• Upvote 3

Beautiful post. So sorry for what you have/had to do. I have a dog who is everything to my wife and I, and I feel for you. The only consolation, if there is any, is that you love him too much to let him suffer. From everything you wrote, If he could talk he'd tell you thanks. Thoughts with you.

• Upvote 2

I cry every time I read this.  But if you're a dog lover, please do, even in your time of grief. 

http://dogpage.mcf.com/misc/TributeToTheDog.html

Senator Vest's "Tribute to the Dog"

It is strange how tenaciously popular memory clings to the bits of eloquence men have uttered, long after their deeds and most of their recorded thoughts are forgotten, or but indifferently remembered. However, whenever and as long as the name of the late Senator George Graham Vest of Missouri is mentioned it will always be associated with his love for a dog.

Many years ago, in 1869, Senator Vest represented in a lawsuit, a plaintiff whose dog "Old Drum" had been willfully and wantonly shot by a neighbor. The defendant virtually admitted the shooting, but questioned to the jury the $150 value plaintiff attributed to this mere animal. To give his closing argument, George Vest rose from his chair, scowling, mute, his eyes burning from under the slash of brow tangled as a grape vine. Then he stepped sideways, hooked his thumbs in his vest pockets, his gold watch fob hanging motionless, it was that heavy. He looked, someone remembered afterwards, taller than his actual 5 feet 6 inches, and began in a quiet voice to deliver an extemporaneous oration. It was quite brief, less than 400 words:

"Gentlemen of the jury: the best friend a man has in the world may turn against him and become his worst enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name, may become traitors to their faith. The money that man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it the most. A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads.

The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him and the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous... is his dog.

Gentlemen of the Jury: a man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens. If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies, and when the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death."

The jury deliberated less than two minutes then erupted in joint pathos and triumph. The record becomes quite sketchy here, but some in attendance say the plaintiff who had been asking $150, was awarded $500 by the jury. Little does that matter. The case was eventually appealed to the Missouri Supreme Court, which refused to hear it.

A statue of "Old Drum" was erected on the Johnson County Courthouse Square in Warrensbug, Missouri, where the trial occurred. The statue still stands there today.

• Upvote 4

It's one of the hardest decisions one can make when it's time to say goodbye to a family pet. It's only natural to question if you're doing the right thing. Remember what your dog was like in his prime, and then look at how much he's struggling each day his quality of life has lessened. It's not just a strain on you and your family, but for your dog too. Make sure you demand your vet sedates your dog before the final step. It makes it more peaceful...and be by his side as you say your final goodbye... if you can. You certainly have my condolences, Sonny. Just know your dog will be waiting for you in his prime again at the Rainbow Bridge.

Note: Just saw your post that it's done. Sorry for your loss.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Losing our family dog when I was kid was one of the worst things I went through. Watching him have seizures, trying to lay with him hoping he snaps out of it and go back to normal, it broke me. But the happy times you get is completely worth it all.

My wife and I have a 3 year old pup now, and I dread whenever that day may come, but I can’t imagine a life without him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Sorry to hear this man.  I got lucky my first dog lived 19 years and died in her sleep.  It was such a blessing not to have to put her down because I don’t think I could have done it.  

I have 2 now who I love like children.  I dred the day but know it’s inevitable. 

Good luck dude!  Brighter days are ahead. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

22 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I never had a dog growing up. Neither did my wife. But when the kids were little, I gave in to the pressure and we got a dog. I can not imagine ever having a better dog. At different stages of their lives, he was a best friend to each of my kids going absolutely everywhere with them. All of the neighbors know and love him. sh*t, people would drive to the house to visit him.  I always scoffed at dog-people saying their dog was part of their family, but now I get it. Tragically, rather than get to enjoy his golden years lying on the porch with my wife and I and stuffing his face with treats, he started to have difficulties getting up and walking a few of months ago. No problem. He's an older dog. They get arthritis. And, they make a lot of wonderful supplements and medications for that. After his condition only worsened while on supplements and meds, we learned he has degenerative myelopathy. Think Lou Gehrig's disease for dogs. Now, he can barely walk and he constantly falls. He cries in frustration at not being able to be at our side if we leave the room. Today we are bringing him to his "final" vet appointment. I am beyond upset at the prospect of losing my dog and totally pissed that I even have to make the decision to put him down. I feel the same obligation to protect and provide for that dog like he's one of my children.  And I am helpless. Absolutely helpless. What I wouldn't give for him to get to have one more healthy day to play in the yard.

When people encouraged us to get a dog, they NEVER mentioned THIS day. People deserve to know. A dog will give you tons of happiness and become part of your family. But, he's going to die and it will not likely be a peaceful in his death sleep. And you may in fact be the one who has to make the decision for him as to when his suffering is to the point that death is preferable. But, Jesus! The dog can't talk and there will always be that kernel of doubt as to whether you are doing the right thing. 

So sorry for your loss, I've been through it twice and it is a gut wrenching experience. You did the right thing. My only advice is consider getting another dog as soon as you can to fill the void as this really helped our family. His memory will never fade and the love he left behind will last forever.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this and wanted to offer my thoughts that I think you did the loving and right thing to end the suffering of the friend and companion you loved so much. As incredibly hard as it is put them down - to do otherwise is selfish on our part. We desperately want keep them around and not to feel the crushing pain of losing them - but if they're physically suffering the loving move is to end that suffering. 

Others have stated here that it's potentially harder than losing a person in your life - I've lost both parents, close friends, many aunts/uncles/cousins and even a beloved spouse. To me it wasn't even close - losing my little terrier in late 2016 was the most gut wrenching experience I ever went through. It's very hard for awhile but please know you did the right and loving thing.

p. s. In late 2018 after waiting till I was ready and looking for quite awhile, I adopted another little knucklehead terrier. She is crazy (predominately West Highland) and almost eerily does many of the same goofy little things that her predecessor did. She brings me a ton of happiness and I think before too much time goes by I will get a sibling for her to play with. But even more so because I'll have at least one around when the first one of them goes to the next life.    

• Sympathy 1

On 4/16/2020 at 9:27 AM, Sonny Werblin said:

omg

My condolences

ITS AWFUL BUT YOU KNOW? GOD BLESS YOU SONNY....YOU GAVE THAT DOg a wonderful life and now its time to part. Its the worst thing but you need to get a new puppy asap. its just the cycle of life I have learned. Its never easy, but in all honesty IMO it gets a bit easier each time if you are able to be philosophical about it

and BTW you ARE doing the right thing. Even if its a few months early it IS the right thing. The pup has no idea whats going on. quality of life man. Just do it and have no regrets. you gave an amazing life to that dude, never forget that. You owe nobody an apology bro

• Upvote 1

On 4/17/2020 at 7:10 AM, JiF said:

Sorry to hear this man.  I got lucky my first dog lived 19 years and died in her sleep.  It was such a blessing not to have to put her down because I don’t think I could have done it.  

I have 2 now who I love like children.  I dred the day but know it’s inevitable. 

Good luck dude!  Brighter days are ahead. 

19 years and died in her sleep? thats like winning 1m in lotto

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2020 at 9:27 AM, Sonny Werblin said:

A few weeks back I had to put my 22 year old cat to sleep.  

I have no kids, I'm a "cat guy", and this one had been with me and my wife almost since we got together,  We rescue special needs cats and ones no one else wants.  He was the sixth I've had to put down over my lifetime, and it never gets easier.  Only harder.  

Sorry I wasn't here when this got posted originally, but best wishes to you my friend.  Remember the good, focus on all that good, all that love.  That's the part the matters.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

A few weeks back I had to put my 22 year old cat to sleep.  

I have no kids, I'm a "cat guy", and this one had been with me and my wife almost since we got together,  We rescue special needs cats and ones no one else wants.  He was the sixth I've had to put down over my lifetime, and it never gets easier.  Only harder.  

Sorry I wasn't here when this got posted originally, but best wishes to you my friend.  Remember the good, focus on all that good, all that love.  That's the part the matters.

Luke the Cat (That's his full name) turns 15 in a few days. He is a gentleman and the kindest soul I have ever met. He is older than both of my kids, and acts like a big brother, yapping at them (Luke is very talkative and vocal) all the time. When Sean, my 8 year old was a newborn, he would sit near his crib like he was on sentry duty, and during the distance learning of the last few months, he sits next to Sean during every zoom meeting, like he's making sure everyone is paying attention. 

I can't imagine our home without him in it. I've had Cats all of my life, and been lucky in all of their dispositions, but the way Old Luke has bonded with my kids is special. I hope he has another 10 years in him. 

1029171050-1.thumb.jpg.61c9a01c673df75909630f42d6dc873b.jpg

We're all sorry to hear about your tough time, @Sonny Werblin

• Upvote 2