Jets Defer Season Ticket Payments, Again

That being said is anyone else starting to believe we won't be watching the Jets in person this year?

Starting to feel that way.

I was really excited for this season and, living out West, was thinking ahead to attending a game or two in LA this year.  (The Jets play there twice!)

NFL To Release 2020 Schedule By May 9

April 16th, 2020 at 12:01pm CST • By Zach Links

The NFL still plans to release a full 2020 season schedule by May 9, league sources tell ESPN.com’s Chris Mortensen (on Twitter). After that, the league will adjust the schedule and the length of the season, if necessary.

Meanwhile, the NFL is still weighing its options and potential contingencies. As one source explained to Mark Maske of The Washington Post (Twitter links), the league might have to move games in order to avoid coronavirus hotspot areas with restrictions.

I would assume that’s something you’re going to have to look at. There’s no way of knowing which states will be open and which won’t,” the official said to Maske, adding that the contingencies have not yet been presented to teams. “There’s no question we’re going to have to think it through and put different scenarios to the owners.”

At the top level, the league is considering the possibility of fewer games, with zero fans in attendance. The NFL has not shortened a season since 1987, when the players’ strike took one game off of the schedule. If the season has to be shortened due to the pandemic, we could see a much larger reduction in games played.

I know owners are crazy rich, but how is this going to work?

No games on TV, means no TV revenue.   No games means no tickets sales.   Are the players still going to be paid?  Many of these teams are making payments on stadiums, or are just building one now.  Can a team like the Chargers or Raiders afford all the money it cost to move, and not take in 1 dollar this year if the season is cancelled?

Do the players expect full salary without a season?   Knowing the way many players spend, how many of them would go broke?

37 minutes ago, chirorob said:

No games on TV, means no TV revenue.   No games means no tickets sales.   Are the players still going to be paid?  Many of these teams are making payments on stadiums, or are just building one now.  Can a team like the Chargers or Raiders afford all the money it cost to move, and not take in 1 dollar this year if the season is cancelled?

Do the players expect full salary without a season?   Knowing the way many players spend, how many of them would go broke?

Not sure exactly how the CBA is written but I would expect that no games = no salary to players.  It's possible that roster bonuses may still apply but even that is probably going to be contentious.  I would imagine that previously paid signing bonuses will not be affected but that's just a guess.

The other question then is if there is no season, do the contracts even toll?  Players will lose their minds (justifiably) if the owners try to retain control as if the year never happened.  So any free agents who didn't sign yet may be looking at a long year before they get their next contracts and they will have a whole new class of players to compete with again.  

You know who gets the worst of it?  Think of CIN and anyone else who drafts a QB in the 1st round.  They are paying for these guys to not play, and they will get one less year out of their rookie contracts.  It affects us with Sam as well unfortunately.  Painful.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

We paid our STs already.  I assume we can carry over to 2021?

11 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

same

Well they haven't cancelled any games yet. If they do they would definitely be willing to roll the money to next year.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lot K Tailgaters said:

I feel like a fool for paying in full.  

Want to feel better?

I paid $1,500 for Justin Bieber tickets. Good seats lower level. Gave two to my daughter for her 21st birthday. The other four a friend was buying.  Never got the money for the other four. Now I am out $1,500 and ticketmaster says no refund because it it "postponed" not cancelled.

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

Billionaire problems, am I right, pssh.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Billionaire problems, am I right, pssh.

Just asking how that changes the business model for the NFL.

Now, the folks who own restaurants near these sporting venues, they are 100% up sh**s creek.  As is anyone else who depends on the games for secondary income.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Want to feel better?

I paid $1,500 for Justin Bieber tickets. Good seats lower level. Gave two to my daughter for her 21st birthday. The other four a friend was buying.  Never got the money for the other four. Now I am out $1,500 and ticketmaster says no refund because it it "postponed" not cancelled.

File a dispute with your credit card company.  I used to sell tickets as a side business and now once in a while if I find an event I do it.  TM has basically changed their policy on the fly which they can’t do.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Want to feel better?

Good thing you are wealthy. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Billyg said:

Same here. 

I am sure they will let you pay it forward!to 2021.  My personal experience with the ticket reps has always been positive.  One year a STH posted that they received a signed players jersey in the mail from the New York Jets. I think he may have had club seats. I asked the rep about it one day, asking if that was for everyone she said she didn’t know about it. Two weeks later I received a Darrelle Revis jersey signed in the mail.  I have great seats, but they are not “Club Level”.  I also got two free passes to the Jets club that they throw after the season is finished. I think the tickets were 90 bucks each, I ended up drinking half a bottle of bourbon by 2 PM on a Thursday. I told Chad Pennington I love him.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Lil O said:

I am sure they will let you pay it forward!to 2021.  My personal experience with the ticket reps has always been positive.  One year a STH posted that they received a signed players jersey in the mail from the New York Jets. I think he may have had club seats. I asked the rep about it one day, asking if that was for everyone she said she didn’t know about it. Two weeks later I received a Darrelle Revis jersey signed in the mail.  I have great seats, but they are not “Club Level”.  I also got two free passes to the Jets club that they throw after the season is finished. I think the tickets were 90 bucks each, I ended up drinking half a bottle of bourbon by 2 PM on a Thursday. I told Chad Pennington I love him.

I also have a deposit with them for a group event. Im sure they will roll it over to 2021 if they don't play any games this year with fans in the stadium.

If they play without fans maybe they go to a pay per view platform to see the games on TV. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Want to feel better?

Have you called Scout yet to bail you out of the jam?  I hear they are still anxious.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lil O said:

Agree.   In fact... I received a full refund of my Jan, Feb, Mar paymnts when I called 3 weeks ago.  I even posted it in this forum somewhere.  People need to stop freaking out.  The Jets seem to be doing the right thing.  Just call and ask for the refund.  I told them the truth.  I am over 60.  My lungs aren;t the best.  Even if there is a season with attendance, I just can't risk it and nor should they expect anyone to do so or hold them hostage or hold their PSLs hostage.  So far, so good.  And I will not be attending until 2021 at the earliest.  

I told Chad Pennington I love him.

This needs its very own thread.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Jets refunded me all monthly payments when I made the request several weeks ago.  No problem.  

Interesting.  So you requested your money but let’s say things turn around somehow and the season goes off as normal in 5 months, do you then need to pay on the spot or lose your seats?

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Interesting.  So you requested your money but let’s say things turn around somehow and the season goes off as normal in 5 months, do you then need to pay on the spot or lose your seats?

I told them I am not coming at all in 2020 no matter what the NFL decides.  I told them to go ahead and sell my seats to anyone for the 2020 season and I'd see them in 2021.   I want that opportunity based on my risk factors without ANY consequences to my PSLs or the following seasons.  It's unofficial, but the rep indicated that it shouldn't be an issue.  

Let's put it this way...  I'm not going and I will terrorize the Jets if they even hint at trying to revoke my Season tickets or PSLs.    It won't be pretty and I will organize groups of Season ticket Holders and file a class action lawsuit.  I'm comfortable that it will NEVER come to that.

Sorry NFL, but my health and life mean a lot more than attending football games.  THe Jets have the opportunity to show their STH just what kind of organization it is.  A greedy, uncaring group of a-holes that care about nothing but money, or a compassionate organization who shows loyalty to its fan base, especially older fans in their 60's who have been STH and giving the Jets their money for 38 years?  

We'll see what the Jets organization is made of, won't we?

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Dcat said:

Have you called Scout yet to bail you out of the jam?  I hear they are still anxious.

I called the # I had and it said it wasn't working any longer. Weird. I will try again tomorrow haha.

12 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

File a dispute with your credit card company.  I used to sell tickets as a side business and now once in a while if I find an event I do it.  TM has basically changed their policy on the fly which they can’t do.  

I did that recently with the credit card company. It is crazy what Ticketmaster did. Doesn't seem legal. The problem is a lot of the people are glad they get to keep these Bieber tickets. Me? I want this $1,500 charge off of my credit card. I don't even know if my daughter will be able to make the new date. And it won't be any time soon that they are rescheduling this.

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

I told them I am not coming at all in 2020 no matter what the NFL decides.  I told them to go ahead and sell my seats to anyone for the 2020 season and I'd see them in 2021.   I want that opportunity based on my risk factors without ANY consequences to my PSLs or the following seasons.  It's unofficial, but the rep indicated that it shouldn't be an issue.  

Let's put it this way...  I'm not going and I will terrorize the Jets if they even hint at trying to revoke my Season tickets or PSLs.    It won't be pretty and I will organize groups of Season ticket Holders and file a class action lawsuit.  I'm comfortable that it will NEVER come to that.

Sorry NFL, but my health and life mean a lot more than attending football games.  THe Jets have the opportunity to show their STH just what kind of organization it is.  A greedy, uncaring group of a-holes that care about nothing but money, or a compassionate organization who shows loyalty to its fan base, especially older fans in their 60's who have been STH and giving the Jets their money for 38 years?  

We'll see what the Jets organization is made of, won't we?

I'm with you, man.  Who knows....there's a realistic chance that fans won't even be let in the stadium.  At best, if the disease really declines in prevalence they might still need to socially distance in a way that only let's 20K fans into the stadium and requires 2 or 3 empty seats between fans (or pairs/groups of fans sitting together like a family).  I have no idea how they'd pull that off.  Airlines (with load factors down something like 90%) are currently blocking all middle seats in order to space people out for when they eventually start flying again.

Stay well, my friend.  The Jets look better losing on TV than in-person anyway! :P

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

19 hours ago, Maxman said:

Well they haven't cancelled any games yet. If they do they would definitely be willing to roll the money to next year.

This.

And knowing the Jets, if a fan called to say they had a particular hardship, they'd issue a refund.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

23 hours ago, Maxman said:

If there's no fans at the games, I'm putting it on you to figure out a way to do a virtual JetNation tailgate party for the games. Maybe a live pregame show and work in some kind of giveaways and for the love of god bring back the chatroom 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

If you are watching the news and following this virus there is no way fans will be there. It’s only a matter if it’s a season with no fans or completely canceled 

There will be a season. As of today you are right, sounds like there will be no fans initially, they will gradually start to let fans into the stadium. At least thats the news that I watched. 

14 hours ago, JoeC36 said:

If there's no fans at the games, I'm putting it on you to figure out a way to do a virtual JetNation tailgate party for the games. Maybe a live pregame show and work in some kind of giveaways and for the love of god bring back the chatroom 

That sounds like a great plan!

14 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

There will be a season. As of today you are right, sounds like there will be no fans initially, they will gradually start to let fans into the stadium. At least thats the news that I watched. 

I think it should be said that they will plan on trying to start to let fans into the stadium. But in terms of this virus September is moons away. A lot that they still don't know, even more that they have to confirm. So the NFL should definitely plan but they will need contingencies. Because the world is upside down right now for sure.