Butterfield's Mock Draft

The following is my mock draft, if I was Joe Douglas, and was working with the current staff.  I mocked the trades based on profootballnetwork.com's draft simulator.  I ran over 100 drafts and only drafted players if they were available 75% of the time.  I also used this utility to mock the trades.  I would target specific players that I think would fit best in the systems the jets employ.

Round 1.

Trade the 11th and 158th selections as well as Avery Williamson to the Eagles for the 21st, 53rd, 103rd, 190th selections and Alshon Jeffery.  The Eagles want to move up for their pick of Wide Receivers, the Jets move down due to their roster issues and the need to diversify risk.  

Round 1, 21st pick - Select Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU.  Justin Jefferson isn't that much of a drop from the top 3, and the trade gives the Jets a couple more picks and allows them to pick up a WR that may have been dropped for a LB that may also be dropped.  

Trade the 48th, 68th, 2021 2nd Round Pick to the Ravens for the 28th, 170th and 2021 3rd Round Pick.  This trade would only occur if the targeted player was still available, moving down from the 68th to 170th pick, as well as one round next year is worth it to get the ideal player.

Round 1, 28th pick - Select Ezra Cleveland, OT, Boise State.  While Cleveland hasn't had the hype of the top offensive tackles, he is the best fit of them all for Gase's system.  Athletic and ready to play the wide splits that we will see this season.  

Trade the 53rd selection, as well as Baltimore's 2021 3rd Round Selection to the Chargers for the 37th Selection.

Round 2, 37th pick - Select AJ Terrell, CB, Clemson.  I would be willing to give up that 3rd round pick next year to get a guy that I think would have gone much higher in most drafts.  I think he can be a number one corner and is a good fit for Williams' defense.  

Round 3, 79th pick - Select Tyler Biadasz, C, Wisconsin.  Solid interior lineman who has fallen in the draft a little because of injury concerns.  I think he is a great value at this pick and can play either center or guard at the next level.

Round 3, 103rd pick - Select Anthony McFarland, RB, Maryland.  Smaller back who can run and receive.  Has the speed to get outside.  Fits what Gase wants to do.  

Round 4, 120th pick - Select James Morgan, QB, Florida International.  The Jets desperately need a qb to groom into a solid backup.  They have been sniffing around Morgan and seems to be the type of qb Gase would prefer.

Round 5, 170th pick - Select Danny Pinter, OL, Ball State.  Former Tight End has the athleticism that Gase wants on the offensive line.  Will move inside to guard and should thrive in the wide splits the Jets will employ.

Round 6, 190th pick - Select James Proche, WR, SMU.  Long term starter who has been very productive.  While he doesn't have the measurables that people fall in love with in the draft, he has great ball skills and is the type of receiver who could have a productive career despite being taken later in the draft.  Can also return punts.

Round 6, 191st pick - Select Kendall Coleman, DE/OLB, Syracuse.  Good pass rusher who had a better year in 2018 than 2019.  A better fit in the 3-4 and a good player to take a chance on later in the draft.

Round 6, 211th pick - Select Calvin Throckmorton, OL, Oregon.  Versatile offensive lineman who didn't test as good as he played.  Was once thought to be a much higher pick.  The floor is hopefully a solid backup at multiple positions.

Projected roster post draft

QB- Darnold, Morgan, Fales

RB- Bell, McFarland, Dixon/Adams/Cannon

TE-Herndon, Griffin, Brown, Wesco

WR- Jeffery, Jefferson, Crowder, Perriman, Proche, Smith/Berrios/Doctson/Bellamy/Enunwa

OL- Fant, Lewis, McGovern, Van Roten, Cleveland, Edoga, Andrews, Biadasz, Pinter, Throckmorton, Winters/Harrison

DL- Williams, McLendon, Anderson, Shepherd, Fatukasi, Phillips

OLB- Jenkins, Basham, Langi, Luvu, Coleman

ILB-Mosley, Cashman, Hewitt, Burgess, Onwuasor

S- Adams, Maye, Farley, ?

CB- Terrell, Desir, Poole, Maulet, Austin, Hairston

This is pretty nutty but fine, whatever, I do like a lot of the prospects, a lot. Except for one. Cleveland. Maybe he works out and ends up being a good player. But he is a project right now. Just because he is a good 'scheme fit' doesn't mean he is ready to play in the NFL by any means. He is a very raw prospect that needs to work on a ton of fundamentals and unlike other raw prospects like Becton, he won't even be able to see the field b/c he also needs to get much stronger. 

So as much as I like this draft, it leaves the Jets without the one position that they need addressed most, LT. Cleveland is just too big of a question mark and I think 28 in Rd. 1 is actually over-drafting him. Would rather have Prince Tega-Wanogho, Jackson, or Niang. At least I know those guys have a certain level of functional strength to go along with their athleticism. I know Niang and Prince are coming off injuries and Jackson is a bit raw as well but really that is a big reason why they would be available in Rd. 2 or late in Rd. 1.  

27 minutes ago, PepPep said:

This is pretty nutty but fine, whatever, I do like a lot of the prospects, a lot. Except for one. Cleveland. Maybe he works out and ends up being a good player. But he is a project right now. Just because he is a good 'scheme fit' doesn't mean he is ready to play in the NFL by any means. He is a very raw prospect that needs to work on a ton of fundamentals and unlike other raw prospects like Becton, he won't even be able to see the field b/c he also needs to get much stronger. 

So as much as I like this draft, it leaves the Jets without the one position that they need addressed most, LT. Cleveland is just too big of a question mark and I think 28 in Rd. 1 is actually over-drafting him. Would rather have Prince Tega-Wanogho, Jackson, or Niang. At least I know those guys have a certain level of functional strength to go along with their athleticism. I know Niang and Prince are coming off injuries and Jackson is a bit raw as well but really that is a big reason why they would be available in Rd. 2 or late in Rd. 1.  

Thanks for the reply.  Is it really nutty though?  Teams that Douglas has been with have moved around a lot.  I don't see him staying where he is.  I understand the thinking with Cleveland, but it is a similar situation to Fant, who whether we like it or not is going to be the starting left tackle for the jets.

48 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Thanks for the reply.  Is it really nutty though?  Teams that Douglas has been with have moved around a lot.  I don't see him staying where he is.  I understand the thinking with Cleveland, but it is a similar situation to Fant, who whether we like it or not is going to be the starting left tackle for the jets.

But its not a similar situation with Fant. The Jets signed Fant with the potential to cut him after next year without massive cap ramifications. We don't know for sure but I can bet Fant was not JDs top choice of FA OTs. He was probably plan B or maybe even C. Totally different than passing on a premiere blue chip OT prospect at 11 to move down or taking a big time developmental OT when you really need at worst someone raw but someone who can compete for a spit right away. On the right or left side. 

Anyway, not trying to get into a whole thing. I just think its crazy how Jet fans complain all year about how horrid the O-line is and how Sam is running for his life, about how rare it is to find a good OT in FA and how expensive they are if one comes along, and then when it comes to talking about drafting a top OT for him all the talk seems to turn to let's take a WR or trade down.  

23 minutes ago, PepPep said:

But its not a similar situation with Fant. The Jets signed Fant with the potential to cut him after next year without massive cap ramifications. We don't know for sure but I can bet Fant was not JDs top choice of FA OTs. He was probably plan B or maybe even C. Totally different than passing on a premiere blue chip OT prospect at 11 to move down or taking a big time developmental OT when you really need at worst someone raw but someone who can compete for a spit right away. On the right or left side. 

Anyway, not trying to get into a whole thing. I just think its crazy how Jet fans complain all year about how horrid the O-line is and how Sam is running for his life, about how rare it is to find a good OT in FA and how expensive they are if one comes along, and then when it comes to talking about drafting a top OT for him all the talk seems to turn to let's take a WR or trade down.  

Well, i don’t think there will be a sure thing left tackle available at 11 to begin with.  You would need to trade up to get one.