Laviska Shenault Jr. or Bust at WR

JetsLife

in the 2020 draft. Or a Quintez Cephus or Donovan Peoples-Jones.

No more of these generic-named WR draftee shenanigans. Stephen Hill, Chad Hansen, Devin Smith anyone? 

Some of our best drafted WRs had names that could go for miles, or had a ring to it: Wesley Walker, Al Toooooon, Keyshawn Johnson, Laveranues Coles, Santana Moss (Johnny Lam Jones - no comment). Not to mention some of our WR trades that worked out, if only briefly: Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes.

Later in the '20 draft, WRs Quartney Davis or Antonio Gandy-Golden are promisingly-named potential hidden gems.

With a name like Breshad Perriman, I'm expecting huge things out of him this season. JD knows it's all in the name at WR.

(I want Ruggs at the right value, but his first name doesn't cut it. Tho "Ruggs III" may be close enough to be grandfathered in. CeeDee Lamb makes the name cut, but I'd only draft him if he falls. I don't trust offensive skill players out of the Big '12).

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I may turn out to be completely wrong but out of the consensus Top 10 WRs in this class Shenault is the guy I seem to like least.

I'd take Ruggs, Jeudy, Jefferson, Lamb, Mims, Higgins, Aiyuk, Pittman and probably even Reagor over him.

I think in typical fashion that he will turn out to be better than all of them.  If he hadn't gotten hurt and went to the combine we would be talking about a big "4" not a big 3.  Whomever gets him, assuming he is healthy and stays that way, may have the steal of the draft especially if he falls into the second round.   I would love to snatch him at 48 if he fell that far.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

No more of these generic-named WR draftee shenanigans. Stephen Hill, Chad Hansen, Devin Smith anyone? 

Some of our best drafted WRs had names that could go for miles, or had a ring to it: Wesley Walker, Al Toooooon, Keyshawn Johnson, Laveranues Coles, Santana Moss (Johnny Lam Jones - no comment). Not to mention some of our WR trades that worked out, if only briefly: Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes.

Later in the '20 draft, WRs Quartney Davis or Antonio Gandy-Golden are promisingly-named potential hidden gems.

With a name like Breshad Perriman, I'm expecting huge things out of him this season. JD knows it's all in the name at WR.

(I want Ruggs at the right value, but his first name doesn't cut it. Tho "Ruggs III" may be close enough to be grandfathered in. CeeDee Lamb makes the name cut, but I'd only draft him if he falls. I don't trust offensive skill players out of the Big '12).

I guess this is why JD let the very average named Robby Anderson walk...

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

I mean, it worked with Laverneous Coles

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

I think in typical fashion that he will turn out to be better than all of them.  If he hadn't gotten hurt and went to the combine we would be talking about a big "4" not a big 3.  Whomever gets him, assuming he is healthy and stays that way, may have the steal of the draft especially if he falls into the second round.   I would love to snatch him at 48 if he fell that far.

He's ALWAYS hurt. That's a huge red flag, I hope he's not on our board.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I may turn out to be completely wrong but out of the consensus Top 10 WRs in this class Shenault is the guy I seem to like least.

I'd take Ruggs, Jeudy, Jefferson, Lamb, Mims, Higgins, Aiyuk, Pittman and probably even Reagor over him.

Funny. He's literally my favorite. lol 

The injury thing may be too much to take a chance on though. But he's my kinda WR/. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

You and me both. I am a big Shenault fan.  His injuries are scary though. He has that very physical style of play which makes it more likely he will continue to get Injured. I hate that crap like with Chris Ovary. He was so electric and nasty but then he was off of the field for long stretches. Sucked. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Funny. He's literally my favorite. lol 

The injury thing may be too much to take a chance on though. But he's my kinda WR/. 

Hey, just goes to show that two extremely intelligent guys can disagree about the same thing.  Do you have a take on boobs vs. butts? lol

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Hey, just goes to show that two extremely intelligent guys can disagree about the same thing.  Do you have a take on boobs vs. butts? lol

haha see? 

Butts all day!   But I can admit that boobs do have a certain allure. :P 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Yea I kinda fall in line with that line of thinking. I would put Shenault ahead of Reagor but that's just because of the style of WR they are. Shenault runs like a WR and hits like a RB, I'd fully endorse taking him with our 2nd or 3rd round pick if the above names were off the board.

• Upvote 1

Never take a wr who’s injury prone when his best skill set is being physical and love contact. We had one of them (Enunwa)and every year thinking he was going to be beast mode just to get hurt and eat up cap space and a roster spot. No thanks I’ll pass on Shenault. 

his reel is enticing. but see above re: injuries, greenybeany, i think...   coiuld be Enunwa all over.

nfl.com had this as our perfect 1st 2 rounds. (which would be ok by me)

NEW YORK JETS

» Round 1: No. 11 overall -- Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa
» Round 2: No. 48 -- Laviska Shenault Jr., WR, Colorado

It feels as though the Jets will be locked in at tackle and wide receiver with their first two picks. They must give Sam Darnold more help. If one of the top four tackles gets to No. 11, the Jets will be hard-pressed to pass on him. Shenault is a high-upside talent with great size who has dropped a little due to a core muscle injury that required surgery this offseason. He offers unique versatility for Adam Gase's offense, though.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Rolloffjet said:

Never take a wr who’s injury prone when his best skill set is being physical and love contact. We had one of them (Enunwa)and every year thinking he was going to be beast mode just to get hurt and eat up cap space and a roster spot. No thanks I’ll pass on Shenault. 

I don’t think douglas is going to drat shenault b/c he said he wants healthy players.  

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

You and me both. I am a big Shenault fan.  His injuries are scary though. He has that very physical style of play which makes it more likely he will continue to get Injured. I hate that crap like with Chris Ovary. He was so electric and nasty but then he was off of the field for long stretches. Sucked. 

that is the risk.  The question is would you be willing to take it?  I would in a minute and just take another receiver say Bryan Edwards in the third as insurance. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Yea I kinda fall in line with that line of thinking. I would put Shenault ahead of Reagor but that's just because of the style of WR they are. Shenault runs like a WR and hits like a RB, I'd fully endorse taking him with our 2nd or 3rd round pick if the above names were off the board.

What will be really funny is when we trade up to get him. ?  SHENAULT!!!! 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

that is the risk.  The question is would you be willing to take it?  I would in a minute and just take another receiver say Bryan Edwards in the third as insurance. 

So here's where I stand. I have Shenault in a group with Mims, Higgins and Pittman. Higgins at the front of it and Pittman at the back end.  Oh... and my new love affair is with Claypool. Someone here inspired me to look deeper into him and I seriously fell in love. But I'm not sure he's in that group yet.  So that said, if any of those guys were still there the injury concerns may coerce me to take any one of them over Shenault. If it's Reagor, Aiyuk, Ruggs or Peoples-Jones on the board with Shenault, I'm Shenault all day. 

Whats scary is this is our year to actually attempt to grab a true #1 for Sam. Taking a guy who just might be off of the field for large chunks every year would be a shame. But I absolutely love his game. He's my favorite WR in the draft. But he is a scary prospect. 

]

14 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

So here's where I stand. I have Shenault in a group with Mims, Higgins and Pittman. Higgins at the front of it and Pittman at the back end.  Oh... and my new love affair is with Claypool. Someone here inspired me to look deeper into him and I seriously fell in love. But I'm not sure he's in that group yet.  So that said, if any of those guys were still there the injury concerns may coerce me to take any one of them over Shenault. If it's Reagor, Aiyuk, Ruggs or Peoples-Jones on the board with Shenault, I'm Shenault all day. 

Whats scary is this is our year to actually attempt to grab a true #1 for Sam. Taking a guy who just might be off of the field for large chunks every year would be a shame. But I absolutely love his game. He's my favorite WR in the draft. But he is a scary prospect. 

]

true #1 for Sam?  Cee Dee Lamb. Not one WR on the list can contort for all those errant, improvised Sam Darnold throws as well as Cee Dee.  You are all forgetting how your QB operates.  Throws on the run, WR needs to naturally adjust to the ball....  Lamb is best a that.  I see it as a freaking perfect match and that's rare.  

Then again we can just take whatever tackle that falls to us and miss this rare, exceptional opportunity.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mackman55 said:

He's ALWAYS hurt. That's a huge red flag, I hope he's not on our board.

Do you think for a second this dude is not going to go in the first or second round?  He is not ALWAYS injured or he wouldn't have been among the top rated receivers in college football.   He had a somewhat down year in 2019 and did struggle with some injuries.  All I know is some team is going to a huge steal.   

16 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

]

See GB that is the beauty of this years draft.  There are so many other good receivers that you can take chance on greatness with Shenault and still draft a Edwards or Tyler Johnson as "insurance".  I would be estatic if we came away with both Shenault and Claypool or AGG to go along with Perriman and Crowder! wow!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

true #1 for Sam?  Cee Dee Lamb. Not one WR on the list can contort for all those errant, improvised Sam Darnold throws as well as Cee Dee.  You are all forgetting how your QB operates.  Throws on the run, WR needs to naturally adjust to the ball....  Lamb is best a that.  I see it as a freaking perfect match and that's rare.  

Then again we can just take whatever tackle that falls to us and miss this rare, exceptional opportunity.

Hm have you seen Bryan Edwards or AGG?  Those dudes have catch radius unlike to many players I have ever seen.  When I see AGG I think of a young Brandon Marshall. 

54 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Interestingly I heard something today about the Sam Darnold tendency actually being a negative for drafting such a precise route runner like Jeudy. And that Lamb would be a better fit in that respect. That actually supported exactly what you're saying. It's a good podcast from Jets X factor called "cool your Jets". I think you'd like it. 

but here's the caveat for the argument opposite the point you're making. We have only seen Sam on the run via the 31st OL in 2019 and the 29th in 2018.  Grabbing a WR to match that is backwards. Which would strengthen the argument to take a tackle at #11. Sam needs an Offensive line man. Even more than he needs a WR. a great QB can elevate the skill guys around him. But he can't do that with no OL.  We obviously both like the WR's at the top of the draft boards. But its about order of operations. The T is the most important and should come first unless the talent is not comparable. 

I've been doing quite a few mocks where I take the WR at #11. It's ugly man. Just taking some T like Peart or Wonoghu later and depending on them could have devastating consequences. 

Shenault, Mims, Jefferson, Higgins, Pittman and a host of others can legitimately be true number 1 WR's. I don't feel the same way about the 3rd tier of Tackles. It's scary.