Does JD have something up his sleeve?

Half this board want a LT, the other half want a WR with that #11 pick.  Its pretty commonplace that if a LT is taken at 11, then 48 automatically becomes a WR. But after thinking, which is all you can do stuck in your home for the last 4 weeks, I started to ponder that JD may have something up his sleeve.  JD has signed 4 OL this off season. Fant at LT, Lewis at G, McGovern at C, Van Roten at G.  All that's left is another T spot which is interchangeable LT or RT given Fant's abilty to play both spots.  JD stays true to his roots and takes LT Thomas or Wills. The OL is now complete.  But many here feel JD will continue to add on to the OL and grab WR's early.  But the WR's in this draft are deep so now it gets very diabolical. This team desperately needs an elite edge rusher and another top CB. The better edge rushes should be there at 48 but will not last into round 3.....Terrell Lewis, Curtis Weaver, Okwara.  So at Pick 48 JD takes Terrelle Lewis. Now it's getting very interesting. Of course JD is taking a WR in round 3. But with the 68th pick JD fills another desperate need with CB Bryce Hall.  So now everyone is really upset and they think OK here comes the WR with pick 79.  And indeed JD takes Claypool or Pittman to go along with Perriman.  Now on to the 4th round.  JD has spoken of his desire for SPEED.  So with pick 79, JD takes RB/WR Antonio Gibson.  Now to round 5.  OL is complete but needs depth. BUT this team cant sack a bag of potatoes.  JD goes back to edge and takes Kenny Willekes. On to Round 6. More secondary help for this depleted bunch as JD takes Sleeper CB Luq Barcoo.  And finally with his last pick JD takes S Tanner Muse.  

1-11 Thomas/Wills  T

2-48 Lewis Edge

3-68 Hall CB

3-79 Claypool/Pittman WR

4-120 Gibson RB/WR

5-158  Willekes  Edge

6-191   Barcoo  CB

6- 211 Muse  S

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Been saying for weeks that I hope the Jets have an offer on the table to the Redskins that they can accept up until the moment the Jets are on the clock.  A 3rd (or less) for Trent Williams and then you can afford to take the best WR on the board at 11.  If Washington doesn't agree to a deal, Jets take the best LT on the board or move back and grab Josh Jones in the middle of round 1 and add a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Before you make that trade don’t you want to talk to Williams and make certain his Jets helmet will fit and he will report or sign extension? I’d rather sign Peters and be done with it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Before you make that trade don’t you want to talk to Williams and make certain his Jets helmet will fit and he will report or sign extension? I’d rather sign Peters and be done with it. 

All of Williams' issues have been due to the 'Skins training staff blowing him off and missing a cancer diagnosis.  Can't blame him for being upset with them and no reason to think he'd have an issue with any other team.

I'd have no issue with Peters, but you do have to worry about age/recent injury.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Williams looking for long term large money extension. Peters 1 or 2 yr deal. Keeping the picks is important 

True, but Williams could give you 3-5 years of elite play.  Worth a 3rd or later IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

there are so many ways this can play out.  the jets are still short at tackle and need a player who can step right in.  maybe that guy can be found in the draft.  maybe trent williams via trade.  the bottom line is the biggest thing the jets need to be able to do is score points.  whatever it takes.

• Upvote 2

He did kinda box himself into a corner by not upgrading the offensive roster in free agency.

We know, and I image the rest of the league, that the Jets have to go OL and WR with their first two picks.

Although I do think JD would like to trade down - which would open things up a bit.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Half this board want a LT, the other half want a WR with that #11 pick.  Its pretty commonplace that if a LT is taken at 11, then 48 automatically becomes a WR. But after thinking, which is all you can do stuck in your home for the last 4 weeks, I started to ponder that JD may have something up his sleeve.  JD has signed 4 OL this off season. Fant at LT, Lewis at G, McGovern at C, Van Roten at G.  All that's left is another T spot which is interchangeable LT or RT given Fant's abilty to play both spots.  JD stays true to his roots and takes LT Thomas or Wills. The OL is now complete.  But many here feel JD will continue to add on to the OL and grab WR's early.  But the WR's in this draft are deep so now it gets very diabolical. This team desperately needs an elite edge rusher and another top CB. The better edge rushes should be there at 48 but will not last into round 3.....Terrell Lewis, Curtis Weaver, Okwara.  So at Pick 48 JD takes Terrelle Lewis. Now it's getting very interesting. Of course JD is taking a WR in round 3. But with the 68th pick JD fills another desperate need with CB Bryce Hall.  So now everyone is really upset and they think OK here comes the WR with pick 79.  And indeed JD takes Claypool or Pittman to go along with Perriman.  Now on to the 4th round.  JD has spoken of his desire for SPEED.  So with pick 79, JD takes RB/WR Antonio Gibson.  Now to round 5.  OL is complete but needs depth. BUT this team cant sack a bag of potatoes.  JD goes back to edge and takes Kenny Willekes. On to Round 6. More secondary help for this depleted bunch as JD takes Sleeper CB Luq Barcoo.  And finally with his last pick JD takes S Tanner Muse.  

1-11 Thomas/Wills  T

2-48 Lewis Edge

3-68 Hall CB

3-79 Claypool/Pittman WR

4-120 Gibson RB/WR

5-158  Willekes  Edge

6-191   Barcoo  CB

6- 211 Muse  S

First of all there's more to do than think t home man. Ever think ifs cleaning under your damned couch??? Clean that thing!

Secondly. I don't see this draft as that far from possibility. I am hoping they pepper Edge and cb in with the OL and WR pool. 

Just now, slats said:

Agreed. 

Jets defense was middle of the pack last year, and you should be getting Mosley back. Jets have lacked an edge rusher forever, another season isn't going to kill them. Figure you can trust Gregg Williams to scheme up a watchable product each week. 

The offense has been terrible for years now. It needs major upgrades at OT and WR, and those opportunities are there in this draft. Sure, it's cool that Eric DeCosta says you can find starting WRs in the fifth round this year, but that doesn't mean the Jets shouldn't grab a player from the top of the class. I'll be very disappointed if the Jets haven't picked a WR in the first two rounds. I really won't care at all if they don't address the Edge at all. 

Not to mention Q was basically a non factor, so if he comes on then the defense will really be much improved.  

At this point i think it’s close to 50/50 that douglas trades back, anywhere to 12-16.  He watched his mentors move up and down to get the guys they wanted and i do think he’ll have offers at 11.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Not to mention Q was basically a non factor, so if he comes on then the defense will really be much improved.  

At this point i think it’s close to 50/50 that douglas trades back, anywhere to 12-16.  He watched his mentors move up and down to get the guys they wanted and i do think he’ll have offers at 11.  

If he has a few guys there at #11 that he'd be equally pleased with, and he has the opportunity to move back a few spots, it's an absolute no brainer. You gotta make that move and add more picks. I'd be willing to bet he already has a couple potential trades in place depending on who's there - for the Jets and for any potential trade partner. Could easily see a team falling for a particular WR, for instance. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, slats said:

If he has a few guys there at #11 that he'd be equally pleased with, and he has the opportunity to move back a few spots, it's an absolute no brainer. You gotta make that move and add more picks. I'd be willing to bet he already has a couple potential trades in place depending on who's there - for the Jets and for any potential trade partner. Could easily see a team falling for a particular WR, for instance. 

true.  i completely see douglas wanting extra day 2 picks, and jeramiah tweeted something as much, that he assumes douglas is thinking this and tha the sweet spot of the draft is round 3 where they already have 2 picks.  

i think the algorithm goes soemthing like this:   if one of his top 2 tackles is there at 11, take him and don't look back.  if one of the other 2 guys is there, see what you can get to trade back, b/c i don't think they're taking a wr at 11.  i think that's the bluff, to try to get either denver or oak to trade up for a wr.  i think taking jefferson or mims at 16 is a much better use of draft capital than taking lamb at 11.  but the tackle situation, that's different, and it's really going to depend on how they're evaluated based on the metrics they're looking for.

Where the Jets pick and because of the extreme unpredictability of the first 10, the Jets should be in sales parlance "pounding the phones" working out trades for all the different possible scenarios:

1. Top 4 OT all gone

2. 3 of 4 OT there

3. Okudah drops, no OT there

4. Simmons drops, no OT there

5. Brown drops,. not OT there

6. And the flipsides of the above with WR

If I can get a Top 20 pick for Adams and another pick I do that considering Jets needs and the strength in this draft

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

First of all there's more to do than think t home man. Ever think ifs cleaning under your damned couch??? Clean that thing!

Secondly. I don't see this draft as that far from possibility. I am hoping they pepper Edge and cb in with the OL and WR pool. 

What you doing under my couch?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

As a single man, I got rid of ALL of my  couches, problem solved.  (Though i do have a futon downstairs)

• Haha 2

We need to build around Sam early and often in this draft. If we didn't pick a defensive player until the 4th round I would be happy. We have plenty on D considering we have Mosely coming back, Q will be much further along, and Austin and our young LBs will have had solid game experience. The only way we win is if we build around Sam at this point. Offense wins in the regular season - you need to score points. OT and 2 WRs with the first 3 picks and I'll be happy. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

We need to build around Sam early and often in this draft. If we didn't pick a defensive player until the 4th round I would be happy. We have plenty on D considering we have Mosely coming back, Q will be much further along, and Austin and our young LBs will have had solid game experience. The only way we win is if we build around Sam at this point. Offense wins in the regular season - you need to score points. OT and 2 WRs with the first 3 picks and I'll be happy. 

I hope they double dip OL and WR with the first four picks. Both are big need areas and deep in the draft. OT in the first round, then in the third the best OT or C available.  WR in the 2nd and the other 3rd round pick. Build around Sam.

Starting in the 4th, they can take shots at a CB and Edge.  I'd also draft a developmental OT in the 6th.

• Upvote 1

It would feel like the 2014 Idzik draft.  In a deep and talented WR class waiting until the later rounds to grab a quality starter would put a lot of pressure on those top picks to be successful.  It would be easier to deal with picking the wrong one (i.e. 2012 draft: Stephen Hill over Alshon Jeffrey) vs totally missing out on a top notch WR (Cooks vs Pryor, Adams, Robinson or Landry vs Amaro).

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

Been saying for weeks that I hope the Jets have an offer on the table to the Redskins that they can accept up until the moment the Jets are on the clock.  A 3rd (or less) for Trent Williams and then you can afford to take the best WR on the board at 11.  If Washington doesn't agree to a deal, Jets take the best LT on the board or move back and grab Josh Jones in the middle of round 1 and add a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

This is precisely what I am hoping for 100%!!!

Most fans that have been doing mocks have been putting Edge and CB in the top 4 picks. It dust depends on who is available at what pick. Sorry to say but there is nothing out of the ordinary with this mock. Typically its been OT in Rd 1, WR in Rd. 2, Edge or CB in Rd. 3 and WR again in Rd. 3 but there are def. different variations on that- like waiting to double dip on a WR until Rd. 4 or 5, taking an edge or CB in Rd. 2 instead of WR or taking an IOL instead.  

9 hours ago, AFJF said:

or move up a tad if QBs go early for best pass rusher if he drops a bit?

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

But yet Jet fans WONDER why we have no WR's to throw the football too lol

Not taking a WR until the 3rd round?

After not drafting a 1st Round WR since dating back to 24 and 19 years ago?

Some tricks up his sleeves all riight;

All he's missing is a Rabbit jumping out of his hat.

Claypool/Pittman, if taken in round 3, would be absolute steals. In another draft those guys go in round 1.  And Gibson is downright electric and another steal in round 4 who would more than likely be a 2nd rounder if not the gluttony of wr's in this draft.  Perriman....tall fast.  Claypool/Pittman....red zone nightmares and very good possession wr's.   Gibson.....WR/RB can be used in a variety of sets and can score anytime anywhere.  add Herndon, Griffin and Crowder and Sam has a multitude of weapons.  Could we add more? Trade Adams for a 1st and 3rd and we can add more weapons and fortify the OL even more.    5 WR set     WR Perriman   Flanker Gibson    TE Herndon    WR Claypool   Slot Crowder

Thats nice weapons

wab.gif

2 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Claypool/Pittman, if taken in round 3, would be absolute steals. In another draft those guys go in round 1.  

wab.gif

Nope. 

In 2014 a LEGANDARY WR class there were 5 All-Pro WR's selectee first two rounds and a combined whopping 0 All-Pro WR's selected throughout rounds 3-7 (+ undrafted). 

I am NOT passing on Jeudy in order to draft a bunch of 3rd and 4th & 5th round WR"s lol give me the Future All-Pro 1st Jeudy. 

53 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Nope. 

In 2014 a LEGANDARY WR class there were 5 All-Pro WR's selectee first two rounds and a combined whopping 0 All-Pro WR's selected throughout rounds 3-7 (+ undrafted). 

I am NOT passing on Jeudy in order to draft a bunch of 3rd and 4th & 5th round WR"s lol give me the Future All-Pro 1st Jeudy. 

Nope