What is the harder position to coach? OL vs WR.

Which position is harder to coach / improve a player? OL vs WR  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which position is harder to coach / improve a player?

• OL
    • WR

Taking a chance here with what may be a stupid question. But as a Englishman, we obviously don't grow up with American football from a very young age like you guys do. So in your eyes, what is the hardest position to actually improve a player?

I don't want this to be about another "which should we draft at 11 debate", but is it easier on coaches to take the talented WR and draft a lower round OL player and make him better?

Or is it easier to bring in the consensus "top-4" OL player and coach up the lower round WR?

Which relies more on pure physical attributes that whilst you can build muscle, you can't really coach? 

This is actually a really good question.  IMO, you can coach up the O-line more than you can coach up WRs.  The o-line functions as a unit and therefore needs to have more coordination with the guys playing next to you than receivers running routes.  It’s not to say that receivers don’t need that as well, but not to the degree of the o-line.  Also, technique is so critical for an offensive lineman, and coaching that up can make a world of difference.   Other than offensive coordinator, the o-line coach is the most important assistant  coach a team can have.  

• Upvote 2

It’s harder to coach the o line because they all have to work together as a team.  There are different assignments for run blocking, pass blocking, blitz pickups etc.  While receivers do have to play within the team concept a lot of what they do is more individual moves.

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

This is actually a really good question.  IMO, you can coach up the O-line more than you can coach up WRs.  The o-line functions as a unit and therefore needs to have more coordination with the guys playing next to you than receivers running routes.  It’s not to say that receivers don’t need that as well, but not to the degree of the o-line.  Also, technique is so critical for an offensive lineman, and coaching that up can make a world of difference.   Other than offensive coordinator, the o-line coach is the most important assistant  coach a team can have.  

I was typing mine as you were typing yours.  You did a much better job of breaking it down.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

That's a great answer, and one I was hoping to see. It does make me wonder how successful the most successful O-line coaches have been. I wonder if there's a guy somewhere that has developed a knack of turning lower round picks into solid Tackles and Guards.

I just got to thinking this clamor for picking the Tackle we want in the first round or he'll basically suck. Why can't a coach make a 4th round LT as good as a 1st round LT? What do they do for their pay if they can't do that?