One Big Fat Jamal Adams Thread, It's All The Same Discussion, Anyway (MERGED ELEVENTY-BILLION)

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Contract Year 4 (2020)

Option Year 5 (2021)

Franchise Tag 6 (2022)

So yeah, if Dallas wants to wait until 2023 for Jamal they can do it.  Zeke will be complaining again by then, their OLine won't be what it is today and who knows how much Dak would be costing them.

I am predicting Revis type holdouts

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"making plays".  A couple TFL's is making plays?

"strong in coverage".  He played zone or blitzed on about 80 % of his snaps last year.  Gregg Williams doesn't trust him in M2M, and even less in standard 2-deep Safety coverage.  

"against the run."  Yep, he's good against the run.  

"as a blitzer."  When he blitzes, it puts a strain on the rest of the secondary.  Sacks on Daniel Jones and Dwayne Haskins were nice last year.  He'll be facing a much, much tougher schedule next year, and opposing OC's will be ready for him.  Most of the time when a Safety blitzes, a smart QB is very happy to see it.  

WOW you are really undervaluing him as a player. Tackles for loss are exactly what making plays is. Those are good things. So are pressures, QB hits, etc. You're trying to just write off the things he does well.

He dropped into coverage on 515 out of 959 plays last year and graded out as one of the better cover safeties in the league. What exactly is wrong with that?

Safeties blitz from time to time. That's part of how a defense works lol. It puts a strain on any defense if that is your argument. He blitzed more than most safeties last year but he was also very effective at it. 

It sounds like you just don't like him because you're writing off all of the things he does well. 

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because we haven't won d*ck with the "good players" we have.  Macc built the roster terribly.  We need to reverse those mistakes, not double down on them.  

If it's not QB, OL, EDGE, CB or WR I refuse to get behind spending heavily.  If Douglas were to hand Adams $17M a year that would be proof enough that he is another in a long line of GM's who "doesn't get it".  

I agree that that's exactly how we need to be building our team. QB, OL, EDGE, CB, and WR. No arguments from me on that. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't pay a player we drafted who has performed incredibly well at another position. 

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I am as big of a critic as there  is (other than Shane) about jamal adams.

Some  of those are no where near enough other than perhaps Detroit.

Tyron Smith and 17 would be good enough

We would be getting robbed blind on the 11 and jamal for 9 and 20

17-82 not enough, ngokue not enough

Yea I explain these are bare bones trades in the video haha

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

"The Rams don't take calls on Aaron Donald...the Patriots don't take calls on Tom Brady. That's where I hold myself, in that regard" –

go earn it first Jamal.

Management owes you nothing this year. 

Meanwhile the Pats let Brady walk away for nothing. That's how they roll.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Signing Mosley was a mistake. But trading Jamal doesn't undo that. Just like we can't undo the Bell signing. 

Why not just keep our good players and draft well...

There is some truth to this, but the other side of the coin is that people talking about how good Adams is against the run and up at the line are talking about ILB traits.  That side of the argument is that Mosley and Adams overlap and that is too much money to have tied up at ILB or similar.  They can't get out of Mosley's deal for a bit, so why pay Adams for the same?  I guess the other is that Mosley and Williamson going down forced Adams to play more at the line and less back in coverage;  I tend to lean more towards the former than the latter, but I am interested what the coaches and front office think.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:
47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The defense can survive just fine without Jamal Adams.  It hasn't been elite WITH Jamal, either.  We've used 10 of our last 11 first round picks on defense.  Figure it out, Gregg.

And the WR group will need rookies regardless of whether we trade Adams or not.  

So in your expert opinion, the D will be exactly the same without Adams?  Thats the story based on what?  The D, as highly ranked as it was a year go with an All Pro S will be better without him?  Or just as good

That s the BS youre selling now? 

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What's your point?  That Jamal makes an impact?  Explain exactly how he does that.  

Explain how you can prove he doesnt make an impact.  Prove what the D would be without him

This should be good.  

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Because if it’s not Jamal’s camp then it’s the Jets front office. The leak serves a purpose so you ask yourself “Cui Bono?” It’s either Adams camp or front office.

Really.

Then that's it.  lol.

Now, the purpose it serves to either side?  

11 minutes ago, tdoublee said:
33 minutes ago, choon328 said:
If the Jets leaked this Jamal would have already whined about it on Twitter.

The fact that it came from Schefty and not one of our beat reporters smells like it's from another team.

Schefter gets the majority of his tips from agents. This could be Adam's agent trying to stir up trade talk

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

#4 please.  I like Jamal but I'd risk COVID to drive him to the airport myself for his flight to Dallas.

Solving LT with a Pro Bowler like Tyron Smith AND getting a 1st round pick jumpstarts this team like no other move could.  We take WR1 at #11 and probably an elite Edge rusher or CB at #17.  Jets come back with another OT or WR at #48 and still have two picks in the 3rd to hit some combination of RB, OG, or the Edge/CB position that you didn't hit at #17.

No to this one.  Injuries are starting to pile up on Smith and there were rumors on the USC forum that he was thinking about retiring.  He struggles to keep his weight up with back and knee issues it may come earlier than expected.

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

There is some truth to this, but the other side of the coin is that people talking about how good Adams is against the run and up at the line are talking about ILB traits.  That side of the argument is that Mosley and Adams overlap and that is too much money to have tied up at ILB or similar.  They can't get out of Mosley's deal for a bit, so why pay Adams for the same?  I guess the other is that Mosley and Williamson going down forced Adams to play more at the line and less back in coverage;  I tend to lean more towards the former than the latter, but I am interested what the coaches and front office think.

Agreed. But Adams plays well in coverage as well. I tend to think that having a healthy Mosley will allow Adams to play differently this upcoming season. I can't argue positional value though when it comes to Adams. He is just a safety at the end of the day. But I hate the idea of getting rid of a top player entering the prime of his career. Maybe i'm just being bias because we drafted him. 

Signing Mosley to that contract was stupid because of his positional value coupled with the fact that we already had a quality ILB in Avery Williamson at a much more reasonable price. We should have been able to pair Williamson with another cost friendly player and been fine. But Macc was terrible.

I also think you can cut fat in other areas. There's no point in keeping Avery Williamson on this team with Mosley already on it. I'm assuming they can't cut him right now because he's not healthy. Same goes for a guy like Winters. 

1 hour ago, SouthernJet said:

That is a given. It is there for all to see. Question is 

- Is he so good you think you can make a SB run with him before he is a FA (if Jets playoff team they use Franchise etc)

- Or realize his heart is with Cowboys, his family there and if you 90% sure he will bolt, get maximum value before you lose him for nothing (especially if you think a SB run is a bit 'down the road'

Then why are the Jets in existence if nobody wants to play there? Again the crippled child getting bullied

6 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Are you being dense on purpose?

How about instead of calling anyone who doesnt agree with you dense you explain how this help s Jamal.

Because it makes no sense other than youre saying it has to be from his side.

Because, well just because.

Hate to break the to you, we dont even know that its true. 

So F off 

• Sympathy 1

Not cutting and pasting because ads, but this guy has been all over the Adams to Cowboys thing from the Cowboys angle. The interesting point he brings up is that Dallas already know what it would cost to get Adams and they’ve already done the math on how to fit him into their cap, so things could move quickly if the Jets are serious. 
https://www.si.com/.amp-cowboys/nfl/cowboys/news/new-the-business-of-the-dallas-cowboys-examining-trade-for-holdout-new-york-jets-all-pro-safety-jamal-adams

27 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

No to this one.  Injuries are starting to pile up on Smith and there were rumors on the USC forum that he was thinking about retiring.  He struggles to keep his weight up with back and knee issues it may come earlier than expected.

Wow that's definitely interesting, I'd definitely try to get one of their linemen in a trade if possible. I love the idea of adding a proven player.

26 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

This is what I mean by the bullying. This is a non story that has become a story because people are desperate. This doesn't seem to happen to any other organization than the Jets. 

Players who skip these things tend to draw headlines

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

#4 please.  I like Jamal but I'd risk COVID to drive him to the airport myself for his flight to Dallas.

Solving LT with a Pro Bowler like Tyron Smith AND getting a 1st round pick jumpstarts this team like no other move could.  We take WR1 at #11 and probably an elite Edge rusher or CB at #17.  Jets come back with another OT or WR at #48 and still have two picks in the 3rd to hit some combination of RB, OG, or the Edge/CB position that you didn't hit at #17.

Hmm, you might want to reserve one of those picks for a safety... since we just traded our starting safety. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RSJ said:

Part of the new cba is that any player who misses training camp automatically belongs to the the team for a sixth year. Al the leverage is in the Jets corner on this one. I am all about trading someone for the right value - but honestly the 17th pick is too low. The first round WRs are just as good as the third rounders in this draft. If I am the Jets I draft a safety in the third round and get ready to bench Adams if he wants to be a malcontent.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On record as thinking 1. Adams is a decent safety but 2. he's a safety, and paying him what he wants is simply an insane misallocation of cap resources. You can fill that slot on the cheaper and not miss much about him. 

But this is more proof that DeMaurice Smith and the NFLPA could be the single worst union in the world. The simple act of withholding your labor will put players in a lesser position. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

Wasn't aware it was that bad.  There were rumors last Oct/Nov that Joe Douglas was interested in him in some type of Jamal trade.  If Tyron Smith at 29 yrs old could give us 5 more years (maybe 2 at close to Pro Bowl level and then 3 above average) I'd be all over trade #4 above.

• Upvote 1