One Big Fat Jamal Adams Thread, It's All The Same Discussion, Anyway (MERGED ELEVENTY-BILLION)

13 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The non-story take is about as uniformed of a take as there can be on the topic.  If anyone pays remote attention to how modern day sports reporting works, they'd know this is likely the first step in an eventual break-up between the Jets and Adams. 

It's a clear sign the relationship is strained from at least one or both sides.  Someone told Schefter to post this to create buzz and grease the wheels for their desired result.

The entire Mookie Betts saga this  baseball off-season all started with a seemingly harmless story about how far off he and the Red Sox were in negotiations but "had plenty of time".  These sort of stories/tweets aren't done for no reason.  Schefter knows where his bread is buttered.  

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Your statements are counter to each  other.

Yes the jets hold the hammer and don't have to do anything.

Jamal the great team leader is skipping them, hell when there is nothing else in the world to do these days.

This is only going to get worse, I think the jets front office and or owner told jamal they would reneg his contract.  When they decide not to reneg right now he will bleat like a sheep.

Maybe, but right now this is just as much of a non-story as any other star player, with contract negotiations coming up in the next two seasons skipping voluntary virtual workouts. It's not uncommon, it doesn't nec. mean anything and so it's a non-story. That's just how I view it. Everyone knows Jamal wants a new deal, its no secret. I'm not surprised Jets brass don't want to extend him yet. These are voluntary, he has no obligation to be a part of it. I'm not surprised he's skipping it.  

This could mean the Jets trade him next week to Dallas on draft night OR it could mean he pouts all season (while playing like a stud) then the Jets extend him and he's happy as a clam OR it could mean he pouts all season (while playing like a stud) and the Jets trade him next season OR it could mean the Jets wait until he hits FA and resign him to a mega deal or he gets injured or he holds out or a number of other scenarios that would take entirely too much time to predict. Right now this is barely news.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

He’s the chess piece that’s key to the rebuild. Trade Adam’s to Dallas (1’s and 2nd).

Take the Tackle or Receiver at 11, then use the Dallas pick to take one you didn’t take at 11. Draft a Safety later, or sign Logan Ryan and move him to Safety.

That's not bad at all but there's no evidence that a team is going to give up their 1st and 2nd round draft picks for a safety. I think at the end of the day Jamal Adams is going to be worth more to the Jets than he is as trade bait unless a team like Dallas wants him bad enough to overpay.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The non-story take is about as uniformed of a take as there can be on the topic.  If anyone pays remote attention to how modern day sports reporting works, they'd know this is likely the first step in an eventual break-up between the Jets and Adams. 

It's a clear sign the relationship is strained from at least one or both sides.  Someone told Schefter to post this to create buzz and grease the wheels for their desired result.

The entire Mookie Betts saga this  baseball off-season all started with a seemingly harmless story about how far off he and the Red Sox were in negotiations but "had plenty of time".  These sort of stories/tweets aren't done for no reason.  Schefter knows where his bread is buttered.  

Do the Jets even know who’s participating in the program, that’s what, two weeks from now? I figure they go into assuming all players will participate. 

That’s why I think it’s 100% Jamal or his agent, telling Schefter to tweet this. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I was hoping he’d develop into a guy that turned the football over, like an Earl Thomas. It’s not happening for him. It’s not in his skill set. He is what he is. And what he is isn’t worth CB1 money. 

T0m, you know he's our 2nd best linebacker respectively.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Do the Jets even know who’s participating in the program, that’s what, two weeks from now? I figure they go into assuming all players will participate. 

That’s why I think it’s 100% Jamal or his agent, telling Schefter to tweet this. 

I 100% agree that it's Jamal and his agent.  Which should indicate Adams ultimately doesn't want to be here, as this doesn't do anything as far as getting him an extension sooner.  

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Milloy was making $4.5 million per season and Belichick wanted to give him three million.

As much as (Belichick) liked Milloy personally … he didn't like the way the numbers sat on the salary cap. He wasn't thrilled with the '02 production, either, but he could accept it if it were next to a cap number different from $4.5 million. Belichick had thought about it the entire offseason. Once, during a draft meeting, scout Tom Dimitroff made a comment about the big plays he'd seen Milloy make in '02. "I'd like you to come up with some examples," the coach said. "I can't think of any."

Belichick thought about it in March when the Patriots signed former Chargers safety Rodney Harrison, and he continued to think about it in April when safety Tebucky Jones was dealt to the Saints. He wanted the team to negotiate with Milloy's agent, Carl Poston. If they could work out a deal that would give Milloy around $3 million per season, that would be OK.“

Spin it however you want. At 26 years old they gave him a new deal and made him the highest paid safety in the NFL. So don’t use the “the pats are great and they would never pay a safety” logic

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

LOL, you make it sound as if 17 mil a year is a lot of money. Its not nothing, I get it, but in the grand scheme of things it also doesn't handcuff your team. Its only when you have multiple contracts like that and your players are not performing when that becomes and issue. They can pay Darnold and skill players and the O-line and still allocate money towards one of the best safeties in the NFL. This whole notion that they can't is a fallacy. As long as Adams plays at a high level there should be no issue. Maye might be extended before Adams but only because he will be a much cheaper deal, to the point where it won't have much impact on what Adams get paid.  

The entire offense is in Flux besides Darnold. Paying Adams can impede on them trying to upgrade the offensive line or the WR position next FA period if they still need to.  That $17 million can be used to address holes on the offensive side of the ball. You say $17 million is nothing but in reality it could mean the difference between them bringing in the top Guard on the market next year or another playmaker for Darnold. Adams replacement can be had for 1/3 the amount and be a little less productive. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ECURB said:

Spin it however you want. At 26 years old they gave him a new deal and made him the highest paid safety in the NFL. So don’t use the “the pats are great and they would never pay a safety” logic

That wasn't what he was saying.  You're cherry picking one guy.  The point he was making was that many fan favorite players that played great and won multiple SB's with NE were traded or were allowed to leave in FA. They were replaced easily with less expensive players or draft picks who themselves went on to win multiple SB's with NE. For example Richard Seymour was traded to Oak for the 17th overall pick in 2011 after recording a career high in sacks for NE.  The Pats used that pick on Nate Solder who won 2 SB's with NE.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, choon328 said:

That wasn't what he was saying.  You're cherry picking one guy.  The point he was making was that many fan favorite players that played great and won multiple SB's with NE were traded or were allowed to leave in FA. They were replaced easily with less expensive players or draft picks who themselves went on to win multiple SB's with NE. For example Richard Seymour was traded to Oak for the 17th overall pick in 2011 after recording a career high in sacks for NE.  The Pats used that pick on Nate Solder who won 2 SB's with NE.

I mean the model has been in our faces for 20 years, but the Jets FO still reacts to twitter feelings. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

Maybe, BUT the Patriot way had to start somewhere, and so do we. 

Bellicheck was far from the greatest coach ever, and the GOAT wasnt the GOAT, when they started their model. 

Gase, Darnold and the Jets had a better first year than Belicheck and the Pats, and now we have an opportunity to possibly copy their model using Jamal as the first domino. 

Is it a smart move? Maybe/maybe not, but factoring in our history of ineptitude and rare blue chip player currently at maximum value, we almost have to take the chance to try. 

Some would argue “starting somewhere” begins with finding blue chip players.

55 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Sure once he was 30 and halfway into his SECOND contract. Not the case with Jamal... sure if the JETS can move him at 30 years old that’s fine.

6 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Some yes. 

But never has a dynasty been built around a safety. 

You need good players in several positions to make a dynasty. There are 100 roads to a championship and 95 start with a good QB. Since we (hopefully) have that, need good players in many places.

58 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

The real question is would It be better to trade him on the draft night or before that?

Trade him before the draft would be better in my honest opinion, then Joe Douglas can call up Jamal's agent to let him know the Prez is going to the Motor City to play for this guy.

Detroit Lions Coach Matt Patricia is Grasping at Straws ...

2 hours ago, ECURB said:

Theres no spinning anything, you just dont understand context in the least bit. 

The Pats that year had Ty Law, Teddy Bruschi, Richard Seymour, Willie McGinnest, Tom Brady, Ty Warren, Matt Light, Mike Vrabel, Asante Samuel, and Damien Woody. 

10 hall of fame players and a hall of fame coach when they chose to pay him, which means they had the luxury to overpay for that one piece to their puzzle. 

The Jets have MAYBE one future HOFer (Bell), and nowhere close to the luxury to spend resources on a safety. 

Also, it's worth noting the Pats had to restructure his contract barely 3 years later because it was so bad. 

15 minutes ago, jgb said:

You need good players in several positions to make a dynasty. There are 100 roads to a championship and 95 start with a good QB. Since we (hopefully) have that, need good players in many places.

I wont argue that.

But I think fair logic would say that if you can turn 1 blue chip player into 2-3 blue chip players, it is worth the risk.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ECURB said:

He is paying Gilmore 19mil this season.

your arguments are the weakest of weak

You're saying someone's argument is weak, then you compare the contract of a safety to a cornerback... ? 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ECURB said:

He is paying Gilmore 19mil this season.

your arguments are the weakest of weak

Well, E. Gilmore is the best CB in the league. Great CBs are worth CB1 money. SSs are not worth CB1 money. You pay a lot for caviar because it’s in rare supply. You don’t pay caviar prices for bologna because bologna is garbage meat. Jamal Adams is not caviar. Jamal Adams is worth bologna money.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1