One Big Fat Jamal Adams Thread, It's All The Same Discussion, Anyway (MERGED ELEVENTY-BILLION)

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

In theory yes but Adams is not going to get better, if anything he will become less effective as the team adds pieces like a legit pass rusher.

His history also suggest even if we control him for more years he will start lamenting not being paid as he deserves.

I'll say one thing we will learn a lot about Douglas in how he handles this.

I think it’s unfair to assume that adding a great pass rusher will make him less effective...the more good players we add to the roster the better everyone should become. 
It’s no coincidence that we’ve been among the worst teams in terms of creating INTS for years, not just in Jamal’s time here, and the common denominator is that we’ve had nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing.... zilch... pass rush...-the occasional clever Rex Ryan scheme apart. 
An even remotely decent slightly improved  pass rush means more hassled QB’s which means more rushed and errant throws which logically dictates less completed passes and more INTS. 
Adams is just as likely to be even more effective as a PR when there are threats coming from all angles and OC’s don’t know where the pressure is coming from and how to stop it. 
I know some people dislike Adams and want to trade him but I just don’t agree with the logic here

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

You all know these guys are a total pain in the rectum when it comes to money. The Jets have to sign him now or trade him now. No in between, to avoid a total headache.

You're right about that. The longer this gets dragged out the more disruptive he's going to become which will only drive down his value in any trade proposals. Either trade him on draft night or sign him to a new contract before the season opener.

2 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

The Ravens did not trade Ed Reed or Ray Lewis.....You do not trade a guy like Jamal Adams who wins games for your team single handedly...He makes average players better around him.

He can't be replaced. 

He's the heart and soul of both our locker room and defense. 

He was he before Joe Douglas. 

He immediately called our veterans for a losing locker room culture and loser mentality (after being molded within a winning LSU program) he absolutely hated what he witnessed from a losing Franchise dating back to the 1970's. 

He welcomed dogs like Sam Darnold, C.J Mosley and Le'Veon Bell into his locker room with open arms. 

Just watch the 1st 30 seconds as he led as a ROOKIE!

He's an emotional leader who can not be replaced by "draft picks". He's the heart and soul of our up and coming team right now. 

You're telling me that Joe Douglas sucks so bad that he must trade away our greatest player since Revis despite 1st, 2nd, x2 3rd and a high 4th round pick in order to build our offensive line?

Well then Joe Douglas needs a billboard too!

gaseign.jpg.78f4f1d36eef67a2015ba96c90048798.jpg

• Upvote 1

In theory yes but Adams is not going to get better, if anything he will become less effective as the team adds pieces like a legit pass rusher.

His history also suggest even if we control him for more years he will start lamenting not being paid as he deserves.

If Douglas is as old-school as we think he is, he has to do this the bull-goose loony way.

If his hands aren't tied by a fool

cut.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

77th Jamal Thread... 

its a trap GIF

And people think I created this Adams mess. Nope. I was invited into it (was here before I came). 

The only way it's win-win is if he's signed long term. 

Bums @ Safety dating back to Victor Green's departure haven't been "win-win" as they've all completely sucked and we've WASTED a lot of draft picks and resources because of it. 1st rounders and all!

He's also the heart and soul of his locker room. 

Become disloyal to Adams and trade him away for more busts and watch that piss off Sam Darnold before looking to jet out of NY for a California team (sooner rather than later). Gregg Williams too. 

This isn't a Joe Douglas locker room. It's Jamal Adams.

Who's welcomed dogs into his locker room such as Marcus Maye, Sam Darnold, Avery Williamson, Le'Veon Bell, C.J Mosley, Quinnen Williams etc all with open arms. And still demanding an Outside edge pass rushers still to this day. 

Joe Douglas becomes a SNAKE and throws Jamal Adams away well then I pray he loses his entire locker room including Sam Darnold along the way; would become well deserved. 

• Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1

He's a great player but not a cornerstone. He's no Revis.

I'd happily take the 1st and 3rd. No point in giving a fat contract to a DB, which is what he'll demand.

I'm sure douglas will dangle him around and wait to see who gets desperate.

Truth is, Adams could easily net you more than a 1st and 3rd. Look at the Jags, for example...they're the kind of suckers who could fall for it after dismantling their once-great defense.

Wait 'til draft day. For now, fishes will circle but won't bite.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Alka said:

I must say I got this idea from another thread today regarding first round values and trading partners.

The Jets drafted Jamal #6 overall, but if all NFL teams knew ahead of time that he would be a all-pro safety, I believe he would have gone either #2 or #3 in the draft.

Assuming he were to go #3 overall, then his draft value would be 2200 points.

The Cowboys have 950 points sitting at #17 overall, so I believe it is safe to assume that the Jets would need to get back #17, next years first round pick, and this years second round pick for it to be an equal trade.

We don't know what number the Cowboys will pick next year, but it could be a higher pick or it could be a lower pick.  That't the chance that both teams need to assess.

For me, this is the minimum, and I believe it's reasonable.

Anyone suggesting that we get the Cowboys #17 and a third round pick this year then believes that Jamal doesn't deserve the reputation he has earned.

You must be a stock broker

only someone mentally challenegd would gives 2 #1s...  Cimini doesnt often nail it, but i think he does here...

Douglas talks glowingly of Adams, but we've also learned he is a no-nonsense executive when it comes to money. Is he willing to pay, say, $16 million per year for a one-dimensional safety? Yes, he's great in the box, but doesn't make plays on the ball (two career interceptions)

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Since words don't work I figures I'd try to paint an (ugly) picture. 

We should trade him away and this way (while searching to replace him) we can draft the next All-Time great Jets Safety such as (too many to count) a....

Scott Frost: 3rd Round 1998).

8fa057e85aa143d9ddb03f28e8070a5e.jpg.6acded4496f2b1bda8488a6257661100.jpg

John McGraw: 2nd Round (2002). 

Bengals_v_Jets_7810736.jpg.b5cc6cc2f369118ad9ba79079fec4600.jpg

Kerry Rhodes: 4th round (2005).

kerry-rhodes-bed-shirtless-hollywood.jpg.3b65378fe8a8d307947e60b5aed29e58.jpg

Andre Maddox: 5th round (2005). 

front.thumb.jpg.f92e81ec6273cc43f6d039a21a56636b.jpg

Justin Miller: 2nd round (2005).

carolina-panthers-wide-receiver-keary-colbert-scores-a-touchdown-on-new-york-jets-cornerback-justin--e-nc-on-november-13-2005-upi-photonell-redmond-TXKBP2.thumb.jpg.96bb87b6ca0288ebbc9d20230425d757.jpg

(I'm sorry, Justin Miller was a busted CB and not a busted Safety (my fault) tbc...

Eric Smith: 3rd Round (2006).

gettyimages-158561260-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.5bfe0829ca787260b89579345f88b431.jpg

Kyle Wilson: 1st round (2010). 

3XLONO7QQGV7WDMOEPVFXKSDBU.jpg.e8c3bf84f66ec50473a401d11f7c62dc.jpg

I'm sorry for including another busted CB; I just remembered as a CB he was so bad @ turning his head around to the point of (genius) Jet fans begging for him to play Safety. 

Antonio Allen: 7th round (2012).

USATSI_9622651.thumb.jpg.79ac9f946c0cc5b89fc1a03d836edbae.jpg

Dee Milliner: 1st round (2013). 

dee-milliner-roger-goodell-getty-ftr-090316_t94grq4fi3j51k0iih4w8dyc0.thumb.jpg.d761a5c7743727e9fda6b789e84445a4.jpg

Sorry for yet another busted CB while taking busted Safety's but they say 3 times is a charm and/or 3 strikes and you're out (Justin/Wilson/Milliner). 

Calvin Pryor: 1st round (2014). 

USATSI_10447720.thumb.jpg.eedf897fc3016fe4af61ac8b61c386ee.jpg

Hi. My name is the Louisville Slugger and I stink so bad that I have a baseball nickname as a football player; was similar to a baseball player named "Center Fielder" because he could catch but couldn't hit.

Sounds like a great idea. 

Rather than just pay our greatest Safety of All-Time (regardless if Free/Strong) let's just...

Waste another good 7-10 future draft picks while trying to replace the SS hole left by Adams (similar to the hole left behind by Victor Green after 2001).

And hey. If that doesn't work out again (draft picks) we can always sign guys off the street such as...

Ronnie Lott: 34-35 years old (1993-1994)

319341b48ebc3f7ad59696deefdab001.jpg.479a2e61d888d9efc848259af2e535d6.jpg

Steve Atwater: 33 years old (1999). 

gettyimages-161026397-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.7116512ec7ad907c57e788e8f21ec33f.jpg

Rudy: 2009-2011 (Jim Leonhard). 

14668307_download(7).jpeg.c07107c699cca5af4280d353f224140c.jpeg

James Ihedigbo: Undrafted (2008). 

james_feat1.jpg.4480fa2f6d0ae6d896af43048cd37374.jpg

Ed Reed: 35 years old (2013).

2133314305_NewYorkJetsvBaltimoreRavensjWiAnjaY5Ihx.thumb.jpg.a7a275c3824902cd9e9cbeeaf34c865a.jpg

Etc etc and like the Energizer Bunny I could still keep going. 

source.thumb.gif.32080fa24ff7456ad54d9cf6c2002f85.gif

Believe you me...

if we trade away Jamal Adams and I see us waste any more draft recourses and draft capital on more busts @ DB (instead of just swinging for O-Line, WR & Edge) along with any more past their prime washed up old veterans off the street such as Frost, McGraw, Sherry, Maddox, Miller, Eric, Kyle, Antonio, Dee, Louisville Strike Out Pryor, Lott, Atwater, Reed, Rudy or Ihedigbo etc

I will absolutely lose it; while mocking every Jets fan who ever wished to trade away my greatest Jets Safety of All-Time (while throwing away the heart and soul of our entire defense) @ the same time. 

unnamed.jpg.51e9df84132da8a9c336f6023428e734.jpg

Alot of these failed Safeties would be plenty good enough when teamed with Maye. Rhodes, Leonard, Antonio Allen, even Eric Smith were decent safeties. Your unnecessary CBs listed just ruined your list. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

only someone mentally challenegd would gives 2 #1s...  Cimini doesnt often nail it, but i think he does here...

Some combination of 1st, 3rd, CB/EDGE, future/additional picks. Gets it done. Lot of teams have needs, and they'll be tempted.

6 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Some combination of 1st, 3rd, CB/EDGE, future/additional picks. Gets it done. Lot of teams have needs, and they'll be tempted.

I'll be the first to admit I am not pretend GM. SO i wont throw some idea of what his value his...   how many in what round et cet..,.

but in broad strokes, yes, i iwlll say 2 #1 is a luaghable fantasy...   thats all.

6 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Sorry to start another Jamal thread, but this isn't to argue the same points back and forth. As most know I am in favor of keeping Adams but if we do trade him away it would be a good idea to replace him in this draft. (although I think that is what the Logan Ryan stuff is actually about) Can we get a thread of who people think would be a good choice to replace Jamal from this draft?  

I will offer my thoughts. There is a guy who we could probably get in the 5th or 6th rd. The S from Clemson Tanner Muse. I love this guy! He would be able to provide much of what Jamal offers in the box and seems to have a good nose for the ball in coverage as well. Thoughts? 

Positives
Smart, tough safety with linebacker size. Instinctive, displays a great head for the ball and stays with assignments. Tracks the pass in the air, gets vertical, and fights to defend throws.

Sells out up the field on the blitz, sacrifices his body to make plays against the run and plays with an all-out mentality. Quick out to the sidelines and displays a solid burst of closing speed. Keeps the action in front of him and rarely makes mental mistakes.

Negatives
Shows a bit of stiffness in his game. Lacks great range. Makes more plays with his head than his sheer physical skills.

Analysis
Muse was a terrific defender for Clemson who consistently made plays on the football, then turned in a great Combine workout, running much faster than anyone expected. He’s a versatile defender who can play a hybrid safety/linebacker position and add value on special teams.

Clemson S Tanner Muse ran the 40-yard dash in 4.41 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

An impressive time no matter the size, but this is excellent speed coming from a player who is listed at 6-foot-2, 227-pounds. Muse was also able to post a strong 20 bench press reps, and has impressed several in Indianapolis. Some teams view him as a linebacker, but there should be no more real questions about Muse's overall speed; at least in terms of straight-line.

#19 Tanner Muse/S Clemson – 6’2 227

The Good

– Great size, broad shoulders and large upper half, unique body type for the position
– Downhill, physical player who delivers a heavy blow on contact as a tackler
– Strong, reliable open field tackler with excellent grip strength and technique, wraps and drives through his tackles and knocks ball carriers backwards
– Versatile and lined up all over the field, variety of hats
– High energy player and tone setter on the team
– Takes good angles to the ball, tracks it well in the air with soft hands and ability to finish plays
– Elite testing numbers and excellent starting experience
– Seemingly a leader in that locker room on a talented defense

Who is your late round draft crush? I have noticed that I am not the only one crushing on Tanner Muse. A 6’-2” 227 pound safety that can run a 4.41 40, what is not to like? Perhaps you use him as a box safety or a hybrid? Perhaps you use him as a special teams ace while you turn him into a linebacker?

Muse had 74 tackles with six of them for a loss, two sacks, four interceptions and five pass breakups this year. Not bad for a slow guy that lacks fluidity.

Here is a couple of the negative remarks about him:

“Tight hips and plays too upright in space. Coverage is bulky and lacks fluidity”

Let’s compare that to the negative remarks about Richard Sherman coming out of college:

“However, he does not possess the natural coverage instincts, fluidity or burst to be considered a future starter.”

LOL Sherman Future Hall of famer

2 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

You all know these guys are a total pain in the rectum when it comes to money. The Jets have to sign him now or trade him now. No in between, to avoid a total headache.

I disagree Ash.... The Jets control Jamal Adams regardless of what happens for the next 2-3 years. Now, I'd much rather they sign him long term right now, but we certainly don't have to.

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer

Closer look at the Jamal Adams situation: Could it get ugly for Jets?

A look at what's happening around the New York Jets:

1. A virtual no-show: Now that we know safety Jamal Adams is unhappy with his contract, the question becomes: What happens next? Short answer: Everything is on the table.

The first pressure point is the NFL draft, which begins Thursday (8 p.m. ET, ABC and ESPN). While a trade seems unlikely, it can't be ruled out. Remember, Jets general manager Joe Douglas entertained offers last fall for Adams at the trading deadline. If a team calls, he won't hang up. Douglas and CEO Christopher Johnson are on record as saying they want to make Adams a Jet for life, but life can change quickly in the NFL.

From all indications, Douglas wants to extend Adams. I can tell you this: His measured approach to NFL free agency was done, in part, with an eye on the future, knowing potential big deals for Adams and quarterback Sam Darnold are looming on the horizon. It's important to note that Douglas at no point has revealed a timetable for an Adams extension, and my distinct impression is the Jets will be content to slow-play this into 2021 unless Adams accepts a team-friendly deal.

That won't sit well with Adams, who said in late January he wants an extension this offseason. The first sign of a staredown occurred Friday, when ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that Adams is planning to skip the voluntary offseason program, which begins virtually on April 27. Is it a big deal if he misses a daily video conference with defensive coordinator Gregg Williams? Of course not. Internally, the Jets weren't surprised by Adams' decision to skip.

The only surprise was the timing of the leak. If it came from the Adams camp, it created a poor optic for the All-Pro safety. He plays in a city that has been devastated by the coronavirus pandemic, and he won't gain sympathy from the fan base if he plays the "underpaid" card. He is enormously popular, arguably the face of the franchise, but he will squander his collateral if he whines about his contract. The Jets are allowing season-ticket holders to defer payments, a sign of the economic times in the region.

This will become a big deal if the Adams camp tries to force the issue behind the scenes with a "Pay-me-or-trade-me" demand. If that happens, it behooves Douglas to make a decision now on Adams' long-term future. If Douglas believes there is no hope of finding common ground with Adams on an extension, he should shop the All-Pro safety while his value is an all-time high. Why kick the can down the road? Take the draft picks and kick-start the rebuild -- but only if it's an offer he can't refuse. It has to be at least a first- and second-round pick.

Douglas is operating from a position of power, so there's no reason to settle. The Jets control Adams for 2020 ($3.5 million) and 2021 ($9.9 million for his fifth-year option), plus a potential franchise tag in 2022. They would be silly to deal him for anything less than a premium price.

Could Adams stage a training camp holdout, assuming there is a camp? Under the new collective bargaining agreement, a player on his rookie contract is fined $40,000 per day (it can be waived later by the team if it chooses) and he loses an accrued season if he doesn't report on time. The latter penalty is harsh because it prevents Adams from getting closer to free agency. Adams has no leverage because he is under team control. He also plays a non-premium position; it's unusual for a safety to "win" a holdout. Earl Thomas tried it a few years ago with the Seattle Seahawks, and it backfired.

Douglas talks glowingly of Adams, but we've also learned he is a no-nonsense executive when it comes to money. Is he willing to pay, say, $16 million per year for a one-dimensional safety? Yes, he's great in the box, but doesn't make plays on the ball (two career interceptions).

Clearly, Adams has outperformed his rookie contract, which averages $5.6 million per year. If the Jets want to send a strong message to the team and the fan base, they will extend his contract before the season, the way the Carolina Panthers did for running back Christian McCaffrey, who was drafted two spots after Adams in 2017.

In the meantime, Adams needs to relax and the Jets need to do a better job of communicating their intentions to him. It would be a shame if the relationship with their best player since Darrelle Revis is destroyed. My prediction: Prepare for a long soap opera.

2. Draft buzz: The news that Louisville tackle Mekhi Becton had a flagged drug test at the combine could affect the Jets' draft strategy. The sense is they prefer to take a tackle with the No. 11 pick, but there's a decent chance Iowa's Tristan Wirfs, Alabama's Jedrick Wills Jr. and Georgia's Andrew Thomas could be off the board.

If Becton is available and the Jets have concerns -- Douglas has placed an emphasis on character -- it could prompt the Jets to draft a wide receiver at No. 11. In that case, the player to watch is Oklahoma's CeeDee Lamb. From what I hear, he might have the edge over the Alabama wideouts, Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs III. Lamb is the slowest of the three, but he is a big target (6-foot-2) and is known as a YAC (yards after catch) machine.

3. Trader Joe: The Jets haven't made a draft-day trade in the first round since 2009, when they moved up for quarterback Mark Sanchez. (They jumped up for Sam Darnold in 2018, but that trade was executed a month before the draft.) Don't be surprised if Douglas ends the streak.

Douglas, who came from two trade-happy organizations (Baltimore Ravens and Philadelphia Eagles), could bring a similar philosophy to the Jets in his first draft as GM. Sources say he is open to dropping a few spots in the first round. He would probably still get a much-needed lineman or wide receiver, along with extra picks. It would be consistent with his entire game plan this offseason, as the focus has been on volume.

"Joe is going to do very well in the middle rounds of this draft," said NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah, a former scout who worked with Douglas in Baltimore and Philadelphia. "That's where the sweet spot is. I would not be shocked if, either at 11 or 48, he traded down to get even more picks in that third- and fourth-round range, because then he can really upgrade the roster with this draft."

4. Did you know? Sanchez holds the record for the largest hand size (10½ inches) of any first-round quarterback measured at the scouting combine since 2006. Should Utah State's Jordan Love get drafted in the first round, it should be noted he also has 10½-inch hands.

5. Did you know, part II? The Jets are the only team that averaged fewer than 5.0 yards per play in each of the past three seasons, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. That covers three different offensive playcallers -- John Morton, Jeremy Bates and Adam Gase.

Translation: It's not the coaching. They need better players.

6. Where's the board? Because it's a virtual draft, with team officials working remotely, the Jets won't have a traditional draft board. In past years, they had a board that was protected under lock and key in the war room. This year, it will be an electronic draft board, one that can be accessed on a laptop.

Memo to Douglas and Gase: Write down your passwords and store them in a safe place. Take it from someone who knows the frustration of a forgotten password.

7. A touch of Bill Belichick: The Jets will be drafting with a new grading system, which Douglas learned from the Ravens and installed last summer upon his arrival. Former Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome picked up the system from the Cleveland Browns, where he worked under Belichick in the 1990s.

Simply put, it differs from the Jets' previous system in that it places a greater emphasis on scheme fit and preferred positional traits. Under the previous regime, they graded players in a vacuum, so to speak -- an objective evaluation based on overall talent.

"We use numbers and alphabet," Newsome told ESPN. "It allows you to put players in a category. In that category, you have a very good understanding of what that player can do and who he’s being compared to."

Example: If a player receives a grade of 6.9 C, it means first-year starter with a character issue. They use letter notations that cover everything from body type to speed, with a grading scale that maxes out at 8.0. In essence, the Jets are speaking a different language under Douglas.

8. Bold prediction: Players always slip in the draft. The Jets know that better than most (see: Darnold, Adams and Leonard Williams). This year, the Most Likely to Slip is Isaiah Simmons, Clemson's do-everything defender. What if he falls to 11? That would present a fascinating decision.

9. Cap update: The Jets have $18.8 million in cap room, per OvertheCap.com, but that doesn't include the Jordan Jenkins, David Fales and Arthur Maulet contracts.

10. The last word: "Until you get [the offensive line] fixed, until you have the depth there, until you have the right personality on that line, you could throw Henry Ruggs out there or you could throw CeeDee Lamb out there ... they're not going to get the ball away on a regular basis. As rich as this [wide receiver] crop is, I believe it still has to start up front." -- NFL Network analyst and former NFL lineman Brian Baldinger.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/82870

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You haters are truly delusional. In no world does safety play get worse with a good pass rusher, ever.

where did Jamal touch you?

• Sympathy 1

Remember when rumors came out about robbie possibly being traded? Yeah everybody scoffed and said Sam needed more weapons so of course we dont trade robby. Then robby walked and we have ******* breshard perriman..of course i could be wrong but lets trade jamal before this happens again

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

My God, he's only 24.  I can't handle this fanbase sometimes!!!

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

My God, he's only 24.  I can't handle this fanbase sometimes!!!

What does that have to do with anything?  His success is a good part in due to him being set up to play in the exact way that enhances what he does well and protects him for what he doesn;t do as well.

I imagine you feel he will get a lot better, so 10 sacks, 4 ints and 75 solo tackles next year?

5 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Not for nothing, but is this “Maye is always injured” a myth? He missed half a season his second year but played all his rookie year and last year. Sooooo

Doesn't change the point that last year at this time everyone in Jetsville had Maye down as a question mark to every hold up for a full season.  I don't think anyone said he is always injured. Just that its a concern when talking about him being a box safety.  

He got injured the last game of his rookie year. Came back and got injured his second year, came back and got injured again. They held him out the entire training camp last year as a result 

Everyone is happy he made it through last year but I would at least consider his first two years of injuries before putting him in the box. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, ECURB said:

You haters are truly delusional. In no world does safety play get worse with a good pass rusher, ever.

where did Jamal touch you?

Oh but you are very wrong.  If Jamal Adams is expected to be like a more traditional safety rather than an in the box, blitzing guy all the time his results will be a lot worse.  The team will be better, Adams stats will not.

Adams has a certain skill set that the whole defense is set around right now by necessity we have no pass rushers.

We'll see who is right over the next few years.

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Oh but you are very wrong.  If Jamal Adams is expected to be like a more traditional safety rather than an in the box, blitzing guy all the time his results will be a lot worse.  The team will be better, Adams stats will not.

Adams has a certain skill set that the whole defense is set around right now by necessity we have no pass rushers.

We'll see who is right over the next few years.

So in your esteemed football opinion... when the JETS replace Jenkins with a real threat Adams will get less pressure than he did with Jenkins?

or are you saying Gregg Williams will ditch the package completely because it will be easier for Jamal to get to the QB?

why does upgrading the edge position eliminate safety pressure when in fact it would allow you to use it more????

educate me

5 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

I thought the same thing ............... until this recent Logan Ryan talk. Now I'm not so sure.

Me too. It wasn't the shifter tweet for me. It was the Logan Ryan interest. I read that we are actively working on him. Of course it could be for CB but I don't know. It just got me thinking. I was positive JA was going to be a Jet long term until that. 

All the pining from @Jetsfan80 @Beerfish and @T0mShane did nothing to sway my feelings.  :)  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Me too. It wasn't the shifter tweet for me. It was the Logan Ryan interest. I read that we are actively working on him. Of course it could be for CB but I don't know. It just got me thinking. I was positive JA was going to be a Jet long term until that. 

All the pining from @Jetsfan80 @Beerfish and @T0mShane did nothing to sway my feelings.  :)  

Three of the top 'social influencers' of our time.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Jets' hopes for quiet contract negotiations with Jamal Adams now virtually gone

Situation could become exact distraction team hoped to avoid

By Ralph Vacchiano | Apr 17 | 4:03PM

Jamal Adams was furious back in October when his name surfaced in trade talks, and livid at the Jets for even listening to offers. A peace was brokered after CEO Christopher Johnson made it clear he wanted Adams to be a "Jet for Life."

But it's clear now that the peace won't last.

That's a problem for the Jets, because it guarantees their emotional leader is about to become the one thing they were hoping he wouldn't be: A distraction. There's almost no way around that now, after ESPN reported that the 24-year-old safety plans to skip the Jets' virtual offseason program. The insinuation was that he's not showing up because the Jets haven't actively worked on a long-term contract extension as quickly as he wanted.

And from multiple team sources, that contract isn't likely to come any time soon, so any distraction could potentially be long-term.

In other words: Strap in, because next week could be especially interesting. It was curious, to say the least, that the leak came 10 days before the Jets' offseason program is set to begin (April 27) and in plenty of time to stir up some juicy draft-day rumors. It's really interesting when you consider where that leak could have come from. If it came from the Jets, it could be interpreted as them trying to drum up some interest in Adams on the trade market. If it came from Adams or his camp, it could be interpreted as him pushing them towards a trade.

Regardless, Adams and his future with the Jets is going to be a story from now up to, and possibly through, the first round on Thursday. After all, it was only six months ago that the Dallas Cowboys were furiously trying to trade for Adams at the trading deadline, though they were never able or willing to meet the Jets' price of a first-round pick, plus a lot more.

Would they do it now? It's certainly an open question. The Cowboys have the 18th overall pick in the first round and many believe they'll consider taking a safety. They did sign one in free agency - Ha-Ha Clinton Dix - but the one-year, $4 million deal they gave him likely didn't quash their desire for a player like Adams.

It's all speculation at the moment, of course, but this is the kind of nonsense the Jets had hoped to avoid. And now they can't. GM Joe Douglas is going to get asked about Adams' future and his happiness and his potential to be a distraction probably in the first five minutes of his conference call with the media on Monday. And there'll be a story about it somewhere every day up to and through the draft.

And whenever players are able to actually return to work, in person, Adam Gase and Adams and … well, everyone else is going to have to deal with questions about it, too.

Which brings up this important question: Why? Yes, in such a violent sport when careers are so short, players should absolutely try and get as much money as they can, whenever they can. But the reality is that Adams has no leverage at the moment. He's signed through the end of this season. Then by May 4, the Jets will pick up the fifth-year option on his contract, essentially extending him through 2021. And in the future they have the option of using the franchise tag on him, possibly twice.

So like it or not, he's under their control until 2022 or 2023.

Is that going to change because Adams won't turn on his iPad for two hours a day with the rest of his teammates over the next two months? Of course not. And now everyone is left to wonder and speculate about whether he'll turn his virtual absence into an actual holdout whenever training camps finally open. 

Also, if he doesn't, what will his mood be when he returns? Because it's impossible to forgot how he blew his stack back in October when he learned the Jets listened to teams hoping to acquire him in a trade. He vented first on Twitter. Then he refused to speak to Douglas or coach Adam Gase for days. Then he spoke to the media and admitted he was furious the Jets didn't just slam down the phone, because "The Rams don't take calls on Aaron Donald. The Patriots don't take calls on Tom Brady. That's where I hold myself in that regard."

Sure, distractions can be overblown media-creations sometimes. Adams still played well and the Jets finished strong so it's not like he derailed what was already a lost season. But make no mistake: Coaches and GMs are serious when they talk about team and culture and keeping their business inside the locker room. They don't like it when these things move their message off course.

So the world will watch to see what Douglas' tolerance level is for that, and wonder if he'll be more willing to listen to offers than he was before. And that will go on and on, long after the draft too, unless Adams gets a new contract or gets traded somewhere. The Jets were certainly hoping everyone would be able to quietly and patiently wait for something to happen.

Clearly, though, that isn't part of the plan.

Jets' hopes for quiet contract negotiations with Jamal Adams now virtually gone

Situation could become exact distraction team hoped to avoid

By Ralph Vacchiano | Apr 17 | 4:03PM

Jamal Adams was furious back in October when his name surfaced in trade talks, and livid at the Jets for even listening to offers. A peace was brokered after CEO Christopher Johnson made it clear he wanted Adams to be a "Jet for Life."

But it's clear now that the peace won't last.

That's a problem for the Jets, because it guarantees their emotional leader is about to become the one thing they were hoping he wouldn't be: A distraction. There's almost no way around that now, after ESPN reported that the 24-year-old safety plans to skip the Jets' virtual offseason program. The insinuation was that he's not showing up because the Jets haven't actively worked on a long-term contract extension as quickly as he wanted.

And from multiple team sources, that contract isn't likely to come any time soon, so any distraction could potentially be long-term.

In other words: Strap in, because next week could be especially interesting. It was curious, to say the least, that the leak came 10 days before the Jets' offseason program is set to begin (April 27) and in plenty of time to stir up some juicy draft-day rumors. It's really interesting when you consider where that leak could have come from. If it came from the Jets, it could be interpreted as them trying to drum up some interest in Adams on the trade market. If it came from Adams or his camp, it could be interpreted as him pushing them towards a trade.

Regardless, Adams and his future with the Jets is going to be a story from now up to, and possibly through, the first round on Thursday. After all, it was only six months ago that the Dallas Cowboys were furiously trying to trade for Adams at the trading deadline, though they were never able or willing to meet the Jets' price of a first-round pick, plus a lot more.

Would they do it now? It's certainly an open question. The Cowboys have the 18th overall pick in the first round and many believe they'll consider taking a safety. They did sign one in free agency - Ha-Ha Clinton Dix - but the one-year, $4 million deal they gave him likely didn't quash their desire for a player like Adams.

It's all speculation at the moment, of course, but this is the kind of nonsense the Jets had hoped to avoid. And now they can't. GM Joe Douglas is going to get asked about Adams' future and his happiness and his potential to be a distraction probably in the first five minutes of his conference call with the media on Monday. And there'll be a story about it somewhere every day up to and through the draft.

And whenever players are able to actually return to work, in person, Adam Gase and Adams and … well, everyone else is going to have to deal with questions about it, too.

Which brings up this important question: Why? Yes, in such a violent sport when careers are so short, players should absolutely try and get as much money as they can, whenever they can. But the reality is that Adams has no leverage at the moment. He's signed through the end of this season. Then by May 4, the Jets will pick up the fifth-year option on his contract, essentially extending him through 2021. And in the future they have the option of using the franchise tag on him, possibly twice.

So like it or not, he's under their control until 2022 or 2023.

Is that going to change because Adams won't turn on his iPad for two hours a day with the rest of his teammates over the next two months? Of course not. And now everyone is left to wonder and speculate about whether he'll turn his virtual absence into an actual holdout whenever training camps finally open. 

Also, if he doesn't, what will his mood be when he returns? Because it's impossible to forgot how he blew his stack back in October when he learned the Jets listened to teams hoping to acquire him in a trade. He vented first on Twitter. Then he refused to speak to Douglas or coach Adam Gase for days. Then he spoke to the media and admitted he was furious the Jets didn't just slam down the phone, because "The Rams don't take calls on Aaron Donald. The Patriots don't take calls on Tom Brady. That's where I hold myself in that regard."

Sure, distractions can be overblown media-creations sometimes. Adams still played well and the Jets finished strong so it's not like he derailed what was already a lost season. But make no mistake: Coaches and GMs are serious when they talk about team and culture and keeping their business inside the locker room. They don't like it when these things move their message off course.

So the world will watch to see what Douglas' tolerance level is for that, and wonder if he'll be more willing to listen to offers than he was before. And that will go on and on, long after the draft too, unless Adams gets a new contract or gets traded somewhere. The Jets were certainly hoping everyone would be able to quietly and patiently wait for something to happen.

Clearly, though, that isn't part of the plan.

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/jets-hopes-for-quiet-contract-negotiations-with-jamal-adams-now-virtually-gone/313299460