One Big Fat Jamal Adams Thread, It's All The Same Discussion, Anyway (MERGED ELEVENTY-BILLION)

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

You can't fill those holes, at any rate, while paying a SS 18 million per year.

But a team with no holes will have the money and willingness to trade for Jamal and give him that big contract?

16 minutes ago, jgb said:

But a team with no holes will have the money and willingness to trade for Jamal and give him that big contract?

If that team has built the right way, they have the ability to blow their assets on a luxury player who is still on their rookie contract.

Honestly, I think it would be smart for the Cowboys to trade for Jamal while he's still on his own rookie deal, exploit that for 2-3 years, then let him walk.  They have a Super Bowl window.  We don't.  We should be looking to move him and his big mouth for assets, especially when he's made it abundantly clear that he really wouldn't mind going to Dallas.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

If we let him pick our pocket.

If he’s worth $16 mil per, then there will be several teams competing for his services, which will drive up the return. If nobody wants him and the return is underwhelming, then he was never worth $16 mil per anyway.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

If that team has built the right way, they have the ability to blow their assets on a luxury player who is still on their rookie contract.

Honestly, I think it would be smart for the Cowboys to trade for Jamal while he's still on his own rookie deal, exploit that for 2-3 years, then let him walk.  They have a Super Bowl window.  We don't.  We should be looking to move him and his big mouth for assets, especially when he's made it abundantly clear that he really wouldn't mind going to Dallas.

IF they are built the right way. Listen to yourself man. How else do you have a stacked team without paying anyone? Hitting every pick three drafts in a trow? So simple. Maybe we can try that.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

By Jerry.

If Jerry can afford Adams while paying Dak, Zeke and Cooper, why can't we?

Last thing Jets fans should worry about is "overpaying." Hell, what a luxury to have a player worth overpaying for once.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

If Jerry can afford Adams while paying Dak, Zeke and Cooper, why can't we?

Last thing Jets fans should worry about is "overpaying." Hell, what a luxury to have a player worth overpaying for once.

We can absolutely afford to pay Jamal Adams. 

27 minutes ago, jgb said:

IF they are built the right way. Listen to yourself man. How else do you have a stacked team without paying anyone? Hitting every pick three drafts in a trow? So simple. Maybe we can try that.

The Cowboys had an impressive run of successful drafts.  They established a core.  That allows you the flexibility to go out and add a "luxury piece".  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Cowboys had an impressive run of successful drafts.  They established a core.  That allows you the flexibility to go out and add a "luxury piece".  

16 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Beat me to it.

Guy next county over won the lottery. I'm not cashing in my 401k for tickets.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Guy next county over won the lottery. I'm not cashing in my 401k for tickets.

It's not a lottery.  More like a baseball batting average.  Difficult to hit, yes, but there are some much better than others.  You don't call Ted Williams "lucky" for hitting over .340 for his career.

Hitting on as many draft picks as possible is the only way to build a roster.  Not by trading picks for established vets.  Not thru free agency.  The draft.  Don't hate the game.  Just find a better player.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not a lottery.  More like a baseball batting average.  Difficult to hit, yes, but there are some much better than others.  You don't call Ted Williams "lucky" for hitting over .340 for his career.

Hitting on as many draft picks as possible is the only way to build a roster.  Not by trading picks for established vets.  Not thru free agency.  The draft.  Don't hate the game.  Just find a better player.

I don't hate the draft. I hate trading an All Pro player for something that even the great owns hit .400 in. And that .400 is for contributors. Probably .010 or less in finding all pros.

This is why my price in draft picks is 3 first rounders for Jamal. No one would pay it. So I wouldn't sell. I would only be interested in trading him for a package where most of the value is in players. But of course, NFL GMs have confidence in their drafting ability. Otherwise they would not be NFL GMs. Thus they tend to overvalue draft picks despite the sobering historical hit and bust numbers.

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

I don't hate the draft. I hate trading an All Pro player for something that even the great owns hit .400 in. And that .400 is for contributors. Probably .010 or less in finding all pros.

This is why my price in draft picks is 3 first rounders for Jamal. No one would pay it. So I wouldn't sell. I would only be interested in trading him for a package where most of the value is in players. But of course, NFL GMs have confidence in their drafting ability. Otherwise they would not be NFL GMs. Thus they tend to overvalue draft picks based on the historical hit and bust numbers.

Since the draft is literally the only way to build a contending team, they don't have much of a choice but to value picks highly.  

Even Adams himself is a very good player who was also simultaneously a bad pick.  Such is life.   

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Since the draft is literally the only way to build a contending team, they don't have much of a choice but to value picks highly.  

Even Adams himself is a very good player who was also simultaneously a bad pick.  Such is life.   

That I agree with.

Regarding the first part, building through the draft is important. But I still want value for an All Pro. Again, the argument here is that Jamal is not an impact player and will not influence a franchise's fortune, but that someone out there will unload a massive package of super valuable draft picks for him. I don't see it. One side of that equation must be flawed.

I think JD will indeed trade Jamal for less than I would take. And likely for picks. Doesn't mean I think it's the right move. Then he will either rise or fall based on what he does with those picks and be judged with the benefit of hindsight. That's just the way this business works.

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

That I agree with.

Regarding the first part, building through the draft is important. But I still want value for an All Pro. Again, the argument here is that Jamal is not an impact player and will not influence a franchise's fortune, but that someone out there will unload a massive package of super valuable draft picks for him. I don't see it. One side of that equation must be flawed.

I think JD will indeed trade Jamal for less than I would take. And likely for picks. Doesn't mean I think it's the right move. Then he will either rise or fall based on what he does with those picks and be judged with the benefit of hindsight. That's just the way this business works.

Unfortunately, I think it's the massive package of super valuable draft picks part.  I sure as hell wouldn't trade a one for him and then pay him 15M+, as I wouldn't pay him that to keep him.

18 minutes ago, jgb said:

This is why my price in draft picks is 3 first rounders for Jamal. No one would pay it. So I wouldn't sell. I would only be interested in trading him for a package where most of the value is in players. But of course, NFL GMs have confidence in their drafting ability. Otherwise they would not be NFL GMs. Thus they tend to overvalue draft picks despite the sobering historical hit and bust numbers.

You keep acting like they don't have to sign him.  After this year, he will be making as much as more as a similar player.  They could trade him for picks and sign Logan Ryan.  They would then have the picks .1st for 5 years and whatever else x 4 years. 

It isn't Jamal vs draft picks.  It is Jamal and his salary vs. draft picks + whatever we can sign with that salary.  I am pretty sure you are not so dense that you don't realize this, so I guess you are just antagonizing people.  I'm just not sure who.  80 seems too mild mannered to bother trying to spin up.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Unfortunately, I think it's the massive package of super valuable draft picks part.  I sure as hell wouldn't trade a one for him and then pay him 15M+, as I wouldn't pay him that to keep him.

Yep. I have a feeling if we trade him both those who want to keep him and those who want to trade him will be disappointed.