One Big Fat Jamal Adams Thread, It's All The Same Discussion, Anyway (MERGED ELEVENTY-BILLION)

26 minutes ago, Lith said:

If not, keep Adams, let him play another season under his rookie deal and look to extend him next season, whcih I still think is the most likely outcome.  

It’s really a rock and a hard place scenario for both sides. On the one hand, why would Adams agree to trust Douglas to extend him at a later date? He already distrusts him because of the deadline fiasco this year. On the other hand, why would—as you laid out here—Douglas hand Adams free money if he doesn’t have to? The only reason you’d re-do Adams’ contract now is to hand him a bunch of up-front cash with an eye toward opening up cap space down the line, but (as @derp detailed) the Jets don’t even have anyone under contract two years from now, other than Darnold, who they’re going to have to pay. Granted, Adams has minimal leverage at this point, but he’s likely to go the Jalen Ramsey/Yannick Ngouke route and make it hard to keep him in the building, and I wouldn’t blame him. If he can make a stink  that results in getting 1. To a team he wants to be on, AND, 2. A raise of between $10-$15 million dollars next year, he should probably go ahead and do it. 

2 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

manish is using his sources that stuff can be hit or miss . Jerry Jones is the source and even more important he just lost a top 5 CB in league cause he couldn’t afford him . He is gonna pay Jamal 15-17 mill.. When Dak still doesn’t have a long term deal?  Jones could of easily dropped the whole “We are looking into all options” line . Instead he tells them it Unlikley they trade for Jamal .

that isn’t to say Jamal won’t be traded I just don’t think it’s the cowboys . 

So, humor me here.  I'm not sure a trade will happen, but lets say that Jones is planning on doing so.  What would he say before it happens?  Keeping in mind that tampering is a thing.

Talk about having a chance to be in the time tunnel.......was watching the 2017 draft on ESPN last night. When Titans were on the clock at #6, Mel, Gruden and Riddick all said that Jamal was a layup pick for them, would be perfect for LeBeau etc. I think Gruden and Riddick had him #1, and Mel#3 on their boards. When we picked him, they were gushing about how we got the best player at 6. It's  ironic that he has basically done what they all said he would, yet half this board wants him gone. I know it's a business, and may turn out to be the best move, but it was kinda funny watching it again.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Pat Mahomes was on that board when they were so confidently talking up Jamal Adams as the best player in that draft.

I knew they weren't going to draft a QB because the year before Mac drafted Hackenberg in round 2.  It wasn't until the 2017 preseason when he realized that Hackenberg sucked.  Sad but true.

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I knew they weren't going to draft a QB because the year before Mac drafted Hackenberg in round 2.  It wasn't until the 2017 preseason when he realized that Hackenberg sucked,

I hear you. I’m just poking fun at the phenomenon where these guys say “best player in the draft” when they mean “guy who’s least likely to bust.” It’s a CYA tactic. Same with Quinnen last year. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

I knew they weren't going to draft a QB because the year before Mac drafted Hackenberg in round 2.  It wasn't until the 2017 preseason when he realized that Hackenberg sucked,

Mac was completely wrong for not taking advantage of the 2017 draft. The 2016 draft was after a year where we did better than expected and drafted a QB in the 2nd round while trying to “win-now” in 2016. 2016 was a disaster and we ended up with a much higher pick than expected. A time like that is a time to re-evaluate the situation since the team was in rebuild mode after failing miserably in 2016. You have to consider a QB with a high draft pick when you don’t have one yet.

I am fine with Mac liking the 2018 QB class better but you have to build up an OL and weapons for your inevitable young QB so trading down out of 6 would have been the no brainer if the plan wasn’t to take a QB in 2017. There was plenty of movement and demand for Watson and Mahomes to trade back. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Dude had 18 fumbles in 12 starts last year yet this is supposed to be super impressive lol.

If you so much as sneeze on Jones then odds are the ball is hitting the ground.

He extrapolates to most fumbles all time, at 16 games.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Pat Mahomes was on that board when they were so confidently talking up Jamal Adams as the best player in that draft.

I know. Maybe instead of the Time Tunnel I should have said The Twilight Zone, And Macc should have been sent to the cornfield.?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It’s really a rock and a hard place scenario for both sides. On the one hand, why would Adams agree to trust Douglas to extend him at a later date? He already distrusts him because of the deadline fiasco this year. On the other hand, why would—as you laid out here—Douglas hand Adams free money if he doesn’t have to? The only reason you’d re-do Adams’ contract now is to hand him a bunch of up-front cash with an eye toward opening up cap space down the line, but (as @derp detailed) the Jets don’t even have anyone under contract two years from now, other than Darnold, who they’re going to have to pay. Granted, Adams has minimal leverage at this point, but he’s likely to go the Jalen Ramsey/Yannick Ngouke route and make it hard to keep him in the building, and I wouldn’t blame him. If he can make a stink  that results in getting 1. To a team he wants to be on, AND, 2. A raise of between $10-$15 million dollars next year, he should probably go ahead and do it. 

My only problem with this is, what did Douglas do to lose Adams trust? Answer the phone?

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Dude had 18 fumbles in 12 starts last year yet this is supposed to be super impressive lol.

If you so much as sneeze on Jones then odds are the ball is hitting the ground.

Yep.  And I'm sure Jamal Adams has little chance of getting exposed next year by the likes of *** checks notes *** .....  Pat Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Phillip Rivers, Kyler Murray, Jared Goff, Jimmy Garoppolo and Baker Mayfield.

Uh-oh.  

3 hours ago, section314 said:

Talk about having a chance to be in the time tunnel.......was watching the 2017 draft on ESPN last night. When Titans were on the clock at #6, Mel, Gruden and Riddick all said that Jamal was a layup pick for them, would be perfect for LeBeau etc. I think Gruden and Riddick had him #1, and Mel#3 on their boards. When we picked him, they were gushing about how we got the best player at 6. It's  ironic that he has basically done what they all said he would, yet half this board wants him gone. I know it's a business, and may turn out to be the best move, but it was kinda funny watching it again.

Mel Kiper, Jon Gruden and Louis Riddick is about the biggest trio of numbskulls an analyst crew can offer.  Only way it could have been worse would have been adding Booger McFarland into the mix.  

We needed a QB.  Watson was the pick.  Period.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I knew they weren't going to draft a QB because the year before Mac drafted Hackenberg in round 2.  It wasn't until the 2017 preseason when he realized that Hackenberg sucked.  Sad but true.

Sure, but the draftniks should have been wiser about it.  The Panthers drafted Jimmy Clausen in the 2nd round in 2010.  The very next year they drafted Cam Newton # 1.  There was thus precedent for moving on quickly from a 2nd round QB.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, section314 said:

They predicted he'd average .35 interceptions per year? That's Nostradamus like.

• Haha 1