Extreme Value at WR in Day 2

Dunnie

25 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

If we can't grab one of the top 3 Tackles ...maybe we go edge ?

I'll never complain about taking edge over WR (especially when there's a need there).

I hope JD realizes that taking a WR in the 1st round might be a sexy pick, but value-wise, edge is the better way to go (after O-line of course).

13 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I'll never complain about taking edge over WR (especially when there's a need there).

I hope JD realizes that taking a WR in the 1st round might be a sexy pick, but value-wise, edge is the better way to go (after O-line of course).

If we don't move down, I'll be complaining.  Value-wise, I'm not loving this edge class at 11.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Depends which player is on the board. Can’t just go by position.

But, as far as player quality, all things equal...EDGE over WR, especially in this class.

You can find 2 starters at receiver n rounds 3 & 4.

You can find "starters" at WR in rounds 6 and 7.  They just wont be great starters.  We had Berrios playing last year and he was a free agent.  If we want the guys that come in early and contribute, especially in this year where there will probably be an abbreviated training camp, we need to get some WR studs early and get some developmental WRs late.  Our depth and talent there is frightening.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

You can find "starters" at WR in rounds 6 and 7.  They just wont be great starters.  We had Berrios playing last year and he was a free agent.  If we want the guys that come in early and contribute, especially in this year where there will probably be an abbreviated training camp, we need to get some WR studs early and get some developmental WRs late.  Our depth and talent there is frightening.

Otherwise it becomes

Year one Darnold - He was a rookie

Year two Darnold - He was sick and had sh*tty receivers

Year three Darnold - He had sh*tty receivers

Year four Darnold - Let's see what he's got now oh crap he actually sucks

Year five  there is no year five

32 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

I’ll rephrase sir. You can find GOOD starters, long-term playmakers and significant upgrades in rounds 2/3.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I’ll rephrase sir. You can find GOOD starters, long-term playmakers and significant upgrades in rounds 2/3.

This year I think you can extend that to the 4th round and possibly even 5th, but I get your point. 

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

...according to Cris Carter ... And I agree completely.

Or ... Maybe ...

WR,WR,OT.

https://www.vikings.com/video/cris-carter-vikings-must-add-a-wide-receiver-with-high-end-speed-via-the-draft

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

What Edge player are we taking at 11? just saying. Who? Chaisson? No thank you. There just isn't any edge player I want to take at 11 other than Chase Young. The next guy I want is Baun followed by Weaver. WR maybe, Edge, no thank you. 

And if you are talking about taking an OT in Rd. 3 you are going to get a project, a question mark, a guy will not be able to start this season. You are taking a huge chance on whether you will even be getting a starting caliber NFL OT. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

Posted this earlier.

Go LT in rd 1 and grab a couple receivers later on.

agree!! why I did my template mock thread to see some nice quality WRs drafted by JN guys in 3rd Rd..there were some guys in Rd3 that would have been late Rd1, Rd2 in most years

I agree with the sentiment that we need to get at least one high tier WR, hopefully with our 2nd round pick.

Heck there is good potential value with guys into the later rounds who could be sleepers for one reason or other.

guys like:

Juan Jennings - Tennessee

Joe Reed - Virginia

James Proche - SMU

Quez Watkins - Southern Mississippi

Binjamin Victor - Ohio State

Jeff Thomas - Miami

Tyre Cleveland - Florida

Becton scares me a bit. Mostly because he is a project. But to be honest I would not complain at all of we took him. He is massive man.

Turns out I was right and I didn't even realize it. Although now I might grumble.

Van Jefferson is a late round receiver I've become completely enamored with.  He's not a big time athlete, but is a master technician.  He knows how to get open, where yo be, and then catches it.   He could replace Crowder in the slot in a year or 2.

Jets will obviously know a lot about him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Van Jefferson is a late round receiver I've become completely enamored with.  He's not a big time athlete, but is a master technician.  He knows how to get open, where yo be, and then catches it.   He could replace Crowder in the slot in a year or 2.

Not sure how late he will go.  I doubt he will still be on the board for our 4th rounder at 120, but if he is I would love to grab him.  Would not mind if we took him at 79, depending on who else is on the board.  He is a guy who is ready to come in and contribute immediately.  That said, if we draft V Jefferson, I hope he is the second WR we draft.  I would be disappointed if he is the first or only WR we take this week.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Lith said:

Not sure how late he will go.  I doubt he will still be on the board for our 4th rounder at 120, but if he is I would love to grab him.  Would not mind if we took him at 79, depending on who else is on the board.  He is a guy who is ready to come in and contribute immediately.  That said, if we draft V Jefferson, I hope he is the second WR we draft.  I would be disappointed if he is the first or only WR we take this week.

I agree.  In my mind, the perfect WR draft would be a more high end WR in RD 2(assuming OT in RD 1) and someone like Jefferson in RD 3 or 4.

I'll also be interested to see where he goes.  Normally you'd see someone's stock to fall with the questions about athleticism he has and then the foot surgery added on to that.  He seems to be gaining momentum though.

20 hours ago, Lith said:

I don't know. 

Just because there is a lot of depth in a draft at WR, I do not agree with the idea of waiting until R3 or R4 to select one.  Seems like a very Idzickian strategy to me.  Select Calvin Pryor ahead of Brandin Cooks because you can get WRs later on.  Select Jace Amaro ahead of Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry and Davante Adams because you can get WRs later on.  Select Dexter Mcdougle instead of Donte Moncrief or John Brown because you can get WRs later on. 

Select Jalen Saunders later on.  Select Shaq Evans later on.  Select Quincy Enunwa later on.

I really want to come out of this draft with a top talent at WR.  Not wait until 15 other guys are selected and pick from whomever is left.  

11 - Lamb if there.  Awesome talent set suited for our QB's wild throws.
Package 48 + a third and move up for Josh Jones or the falling Becton.

How's that offense look on Day 1 now?  There are times when the BEST strategy is to trade up.  I know Jets fans will hate it but do not be surprised.  I would be giddy with Lamb-Becton or Lamb-Jones.  Could possibly be the best draft trade in Jets history.

Next year’s draft looks good at WR and OT as well.

I would grab Ceedee Lamb at 11. I believe in him. Hearing what Chris Carter had to say only makes me feel better about him as a prospect. I would then grab Michael Pittman in round 2. Another way to look at the depth of this class is that with our second round pick, we’ll be looking at a guy that normally would go in the late 1st. And Lamb is a top 15 pick in any draft.

Then grab Hennessy and Peart/Bertch in round 3. Sign Jason Peters to a 1 year deal.

While this is not the ideal order to build a team, this draft presents us the opportunity to surround Darnold with legit weapons. We would be set long term at QB and all the skill positions. The OL will be a work in progress but Peters buys us a year to continue to build the OL. With Hennessy, iOL will be set. It’ll just be the tackles that need long term answers. For this year, we’ll roll with Peters and Fant/Edoga and Peart or Bertch.

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think the ideal wr pairing for the draft is to get a dynamic wr in the first 2 rounds then get more of a precision route runner/cotch type in the later rounds.  

On 4/17/2020 at 9:09 AM, Dunnie said:

...according to Cris Carter ... And I agree completely.

Or ... Maybe ...

WR,WR,OT.

https://www.vikings.com/video/cris-carter-vikings-must-add-a-wide-receiver-with-high-end-speed-via-the-draft

If Douglas agrees with this he HAS to get another 2nd rounder draft 2 WR’s and fix that position for the next 4 years minimum.

58 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Next year’s draft looks good at WR and OT as well.

I would grab Ceedee Lamb at 11. I believe in him. Hearing what Chris Carter had to say only makes me feel better about him as a prospect. I would then grab Michael Pittman in round 2. Another way to look at the depth of this class is that with our second round pick, we’ll be looking at a guy that normally would go in the late 1st. And Lamb is a top 15 pick in any draft.

Then grab Hennessy and Peart/Bertch in round 3. Sign Jason Peters to a 1 year deal.

While this is not the ideal order to build a team, this draft presents us the opportunity to surround Darnold with legit weapons. We would be set long term at QB and all the skill positions. The OL will be a work in progress but Peters buys us a year to continue to build the OL. With Hennessy, iOL will be set. It’ll just be the tackles that need long term answers. For this year, we’ll roll with Peters and Fant/Edoga and Peart or Bertch.

Building the oline last for an offense and a young Qb is always a recipe for disaster and one day you wake up and have andrew luck.

• Upvote 1

Think of it in the simplest of terms. How many late round or even non drafted WR go on to have big careers? Tons!! conversely how many beast late round or non drafted big men go on to dominate? Not many. There’s your answer. Get the line FIXED!! We have a young QB that needs to be developed- you don’t get a second chance to do this- get it right Joe D!! There will be plenty of receivers to choose from in later rounds or after the draft or even camp cuts. 

• Upvote 1