Herm Edwards not interested in return to NFL coaching ranks

playtowinthegame

Herm Edwards has spent 128 games in the NFL as a head coach for the New York Jets and Kansas City Chiefs. Edwards has no intention of adding to that total at any point in the future.

Edwards, currently the head coach at Arizona State University, made his return to coaching two years ago after spending nearly a decade working as an analyst for ESPN. Edwards has had a solid start to his coaching resurgence as the Sun Devils have posted winning seasons in each of his two years in Tempe.

But Edwards isn’t interested in moving back to the professional ranks. He intends to finish his career right where he’s at now.

No, this is it,” Edwards said to Colin Cowherd on Fox Sports Radio. “This is my last stand right here. I’m going to build a program and hopefully, we can win the Pac-12, win a Rose Bowl and then hand it over to somebody else. That’s my goal.”

Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll found success in returning to the NFL after a stint in college at USC. Jim Harbaugh made a successful transition from Stanford to the San Francisco 49ers for four years before being let go by the 49ers and heading to Michigan. Kliff Kingsbury is currently attempting to make the jump after being a head coach at Texas Tech and now running the Arizona Cardinals.

But when it comes to Edwards, he’s had his fill of the pro game and is more than happy to tackle the demands of recruiting and the challenges ahead at Arizona State.

“That’s where it’s really fun, right? Where you’re talking to young people, you meet their parents and guardians of these young men because you find out a lot about the families. A lot of those homes are like my my home. I look at them like ‘hey, I get it. I understand this.'”

The Sun Devils went 7-6 in Edwards’ first season in 2018 and improved to an 8-5 record last year with a win in the Sun Bowl against Florida State.

• Upvote 3

Herm's the best! He's actually done a good job at ASU so far and I definitely hope he wins a Rose Bowl.  It would be sad to see him retire though.

Having said that, I'm very happy he's no longer HC of the NYJ and I still can't believe KC traded for him.

• Upvote 3

Herm is a perfect college coach, like what other posters have said.

He can recruit for his school, he comes off as a good guy who will care about the kids, and try to help teach them a bit about life.  He is not a super high level football strategist.  I wish him all the best, while being glad he isn't the HC of the Jets.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It's like blondes grow on trees out here, man.  There's even a restaurant/bar called The Bottled Blonde. lol

bottle-blonde.thumb.jpg.ecca7536100d91e0e27327ccd6b9e3a5.jpg

64719592_2141532475972772_5885454425136300032_o.jpg.d7afbc96f8ec81360e3cc3b1fc1710a2.jpg

You beat me to it jetstream. I noticed the blonde thing too, their softball teams ASU and AU are 90% blonde every year.

That settles it, I'm moving to Phoenix...

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

You play to win the game!

What's funny about that quote was in his most important game as a Jets HC, the 2004 divisional round playoff game against the Steelers, he coached "not to lose" rather than to "win the game." We all know how that turned out.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

What's funny about that quote was in his most important game as a Jets HC, the 2004 divisional round playoff game against the Steelers, he coached "not to lose" rather than to "win the game." We all know how that turned out.

Chad brought nothing to the table but I know what you're saying.

2 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Herm was the Right Choice at Arizona St. and a perfect college coach. You see the love he has for these young men.  Keep it going Herm and wish you luck doing the job for the Sun Devils.  

Herm is not really a pro coach but he does seem like he's turned out to be a pretty good fit for college (though I didn't initially think he would be).  He's incredibly easy to root for though.  I wish him nothing but success.

• Upvote 1

On 4/17/2020 at 12:26 PM, jetstream23 said:

It's like blondes grow on trees out here, man.  There's even a restaurant/bar called The Bottled Blonde. lol

64719592_2141532475972772_5885454425136300032_o.jpg.d7afbc96f8ec81360e3cc3b1fc1710a2.jpg

So which of the 3 girls are we all picking?  I think I'd lean toward the one in the middle.  Those are some racy outfits for a non-strip club btw.

On 4/17/2020 at 12:17 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I still can't believe KC traded for him.

KC didn't trade for him.  What they really did was tamper with an NFL coach that was under contract, and the NFL allowed them to do that and then negotiated a trade that was subpar to what value was for an NFL coach under contract (see Bill Parcells value to NY Jets and Bill Bellichick trade to NE Patriots.).

It was really a shabby deal that the Jets laid down for.

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

KC didn't trade for him.  What they really did was tamper with an NFL coach that was under contract, and the NFL allowed them to do that and then negotiated a trade that was subpar to what value was for an NFL coach under contract (see Bill Parcells value to NY Jets and Bill Bellichick trade to NE Patriots.).

It was really a shabby deal that the Jets laid down for.

Parcells was a winning HC with 3 SB trips, 2 SB wins.  He also was coming to be the GM of the Jets.  Far different resumes.  

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Parcells was a winning HC with 3 SB trips, 2 SB wins.  He also was coming to be the GM of the Jets.  Far different resumes.  

What was Belichick's resume?

The fact was, Edwards had 2 years remaining on his contract. The Jets played the deal stupidly and sold low on a item that someone else desired. Stupid negotiating and the Jets got bent over, and allowed it to happen.