The Tragedy of the New York Jets

I've been thinking about this for a bit and I bring it up from time to time in little spurts, but it just seems that the Jets are a crippled child that people love to kick. They are a hapless organization that everybody seems to go out of their way to jab or knock down. I say they are a crippled child simply because they have an owner who doesn't know anything about football. 

And it seems the NFL wants this, They want the Jets to be bad. It is their role. Almost like wrestling. It's just sad.

Now to humanize a multi million dollar organization to a crippled child may seem weird but if you look on Twitter and the social media, I don't think the Lions or the Jaguars or even the Browns get more flack continuously as the Jets. It's almost as if they are bullied. And I don't like bullying unless it is deserved. And being a hapless organization aka being handicapped seems reason for bullying.

• Thumb Down 10
  • Haha 1

Just now, munchmemory said:

I don't give two f*ks about Detroit or anybody else.  But the Lions have also been considered a joke for decades.

Quite true but not to the public outcry that the Jets get. Also you ask them to play better. A crippled child is crippled for a reason. Their owner and structure sucks so unless they change that, they can't play better. They are a crippled child

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I've been thinking about this for a bit and I bring it up from time to time in little spurts, but it just seems that the Jets are a crippled child that people love to kick. They are a hapless organization that everybody seems to go out of their way to jab or knock down. I say they are a crippled child simply because they have an owner who doesn't know anything about football. 

And it seems the NFL wants this, They want the Jets to be bad. It is their role. Almost like wrestling. It's just sad.

Now to humanize a multi million dollar organization to a crippled child may seem weird but if you look on Twitter and the social media, I don't think the Lions or the Jaguars or even the Browns get more flack continuously as the Jets. It's almost as if they are bullied. And I don't like bullying unless it is deserved. And being a hapless organization aka being handicapped seems reason for bullying.

Unitedwhofans obviously was kicked by a Jets fan in his youth while wearing an opposing jersey.  

10 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It’s unsupportive fans much like yourself that cripples the child. You’s are basically football fan equivalent of polio. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Coffee.png.47016ebaa6c4f775d3c4883ea08d501b.png

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Quite true but not to the public outcry that the Jets get. Also you ask them to play better. A crippled child is crippled for a reason. Their owner and structure sucks so unless they change that, they can't play better. They are a crippled child

Hey look, I agree totally that our owners and organization are abysmal.  Maybe there is something to your analogy of a disabled child.  I've said for years that nothing changes with this team until the Johnsons are gone.  But as owners of their personal printing press they call the NY Football Jets I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Just now, The Crusher said:

It’s unsupportive fans much like yourself that cripples the child. You’s are basically football fan equivalent of polio. 

I disagree. I am supportive. But I am logical and realistic. I know their organization sucks so I have extremely low to zero expectations (as I have said before, a fan having expectations of a team that they can't control is illogical to me). I would like to be rah rah. But not many people seem to want to do that. Especially those in the public eye aka The Fruit Salesman on WFAN

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Sir, the Thorazine isn’t available over the counter. You need a prescription. Also, this is a Wendy’s.

Sir. You are quite nice calling him Sir.  The term Sir is one of nobility.  This clown is more like a peasant reincarnated from medieval times. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Hey look, I agree totally that our owners and organization are abysmal.  Maybe there is something to your analogy of a disabled child.  I've said for years that nothing changes with this team until the Johnsons are gone.  But as owners of their personal printing press they call the NY Football Jets I don't see that happening anytime soon.

That's the point. They are a crippled child. And to make fun of them is to be bullying a crippled child. Which is abhorrent. I just don't understand the love of taking potshots at the Jets in particular. It might be because they are a New York team, which in  that case, I have thought for years the best thing for the franchise would be to move and get a fanbase all to themselves.

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I disagree. I am supportive. But I am logical and realistic. I know their organization sucks so I have extremely low to zero expectations (as I have said before, a fan having expectations of a team that they can't control is illogical to me). I would like to be rah rah. But not many people seem to want to do that. Especially those in the public eye aka The Fruit Salesman on WFAN

Illogical? Who do you think you are Who? Spock? Even Spock's logic understands the underdog is never to be underestimated. 

69 Mets, 68 Jets.  Both those championships defy any sense of logic or reality.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Disagree all you want, it changes nothing. Read you first post, you compare a team of grown damn man playing a near lethal game for your amusement to a crippled child. That’s like comparing a child to a pet rock if he gets a C on his arithmetic test. Not supportive. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Wonderboy said:

Illogical? Who do you think you are Who? Spock? Even Spock's logic understands the underdog is never to be underestimated. 

69 Mets, 68 Jets.  Both those championships defy any sense of logic or reality.

And yet because they were so long ago, the Jets aren't seemed to be credited for it. That also bothers me. 

2 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

If you don'tt want your team to be poked fun at then don't follow one in the biggest media market in the world.  If the gripe is with the writing that feeds the current hot take culture.  (groans)  Yeah.  Can't say I disagree with you.

Which is even weirder because it seems their location is the main crux for the ridicule. If they were in frickin' Omaha, nobody would care. they would just be a losing franchise with an insular fanbase. 

And the fact that the ridicule comes mainly from the location of the franchise doesn't seem fair to me. It doesn't seem just if you will

I have often thought that the Jets are treated differently in media because they have not won in like forever, and they are the second team in their own market.  No other team is in that position.  More than half NY football fans don't like us.  Half the football writers in town cover the other team.  I think it results in us being treated differently.

Win games and the respect will come, whether or not we "own" our home market.  But suck and play second fiddle to the Giants, this is what you get.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Which is even weirder because it seems their location is the main crux for the ridicule. If they were in frickin' Omaha, nobody would care. they would just be a losing franchise with an insular fanbase. 

And the fact that the ridicule comes mainly from the location of the franchise doesn't seem fair to me. It doesn't seem just if you will

It's juat a difficult thing to keep attention of the sporting public in the digital age.  There used to be a good balance between the "just the facts, ma"am" style reporting and the yellow journalism muck raking stuff.  Now with some pro teams it's just completely out of whack.  The Jets being a key example.  But at least you guys get coverage.  I follow the Trail Blazsrs and the last good beat report was just laid off and retired.  We are pretty much screwed.  Better to be talked about then not at all.