Josh Allen vs Sam Darnold

28 minutes ago, jgb said:

Garbage got injured so the backup garbage played. 

Herndon and Enunwa were the Jets’ 2nd & 3rd leading receivers in 2018. Almost 1000 yards and 5 TDs between them. Maybe not NFL world beaters, but certainly big losses for the Jets. And the drop off was significant. I went into last season thinking Herndon might be the team’s leading receiver. 

41 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

Sar said the Bills had 0 injuries on offense. That was false, so I corrected him.

I never tried to equate the Bills injuries to the Jets.

Bills started with more talent on offense,  we can all agree to this.

Bills didnt have anywhere near the number of injuries as the Jets, we can all agree to this.

Darnold missed a chunk of the season and played a large part of the season with mono.

Cherry picking numbers to make Allen look better when everyone can see that Darnold passes the eye test when comparing the two, is pointless.

Also, saying Darnold is the more talented or passes the eye test isnt saying Darnold is top anything or a given 

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Bills started with more talent on offense,  we can all agree to this.

Bills didnt have anywhere near the number of injuries as the Jets, we can all agree to this.

Darnold missed a chunk of the season and played a large part of the season with mono.

Cherry picking numbers to make Allen look better when everyone can see that Darnold passes the eye test when comparing the two, is pointless.

Stating the season stats and average offense generated per game is the opposite of cherry picking. It’s looking at the entire tree.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hamat711 said:

It was in response to someone when discussing the 2018 season since they were both on bad offenses.

Now if you want to talk 2019......

Nothing changes.

Josh Allen averaged 1.93 TDs, 0.86 Turnovers and 239 Yards per game.

Sam Darnold averaged 1.61 TDs, 1.23 Turnovers and Yards 237 yards.

You're right nothing changes between the 2 QBs.

Darnold > Allen 

Now the teams and coaches around them is a different story.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

I totally understand our love for Sam.  I just hope he doesn't make many more of these...

darnold-int-vs.-mia-wk92019.gif

He did this same BS at USC, though. His backyard football style of play is fun to watch and Darnold is effective throwing on the run but he's had far too many of these kind of throws in his college and proffesional career. He's still young so hopefully at some point it stops completely.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Stating the season stats and average offense generated per game is the opposite of cherry picking. It’s looking at the entire tree.

When you leave out that Sam missed games and played ill, leave out ypa, comp %, yeah, cherry picking the stats to your advantage.  Yes, that's cherry picking.  

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

When you leave out that Sam missed games and played ill, leave out ypa, comp %, yeah, cherry picking the stats to your advantage.  Yes, that's cherry picking.  

So then retort with whatever data you think makes your point. That’s how a debate works. 

3 minutes ago, vtbx said:

OT. I was listening to Boomer and Gio today when they mentioned a Josh Allen incident similar to Becton/Tunsil before the 2018 draft.  What happened?

Don’t remember anything drug related, but he did have a number of potentially racist social media posts scrubbed away. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TNJet said:

You're right nothing changes between the 2 QBs.

Darnold > Allen 

Now the teams and coaches around them is a different story.

When is it ever Darnold's fault?

All I ever hear is..............

Coaching

Weapons

O-line

Mono

Injuries

At what point does Darnold deserve blame? 

• Thumb Down 1

19 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

The guys got a cannon for an arm - *BUT* - he's been playing football all his life and accuracy is something you can't teach at this point in a QB's career. Josh might be able to throw it a mile but all the gurus and QB coaches in the world can't fix his inaccuracy at this point no matter what.

Where's @SAR I -  Josh is a running back playing QB.

The 4th qtr of the playoff game where Josh choked like McNabb in the SB tells me all I have to know that Sam will lead the Jets to a run of AFCE division titles is inevitable.

Allen was horrible that quarter.   I don't know what these doofbots were talking about.   There is no question Sam Darnold is the best QB in the AFCE and it's not even close.  You could say Allen has a better situation, but he'll never be the better QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

Coaching

Weapons

O-line

Mono

Injuries

Blame doesn't make a Quarterback worse than Josh Allen. We can all agree to blame Allen for their playoff loss. He looked like a Division 2 college QB in the second half.

• Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

So Steven A Smith says that Allen is better because:

1  Sean Mcdermott is a great coach?  I thought his background was in defense....

2  The Bills have a great defense?

3 The Bills have surrounded Allen with weapons?

4 Josh Allen is a good runner?

These are the reasons Allen is the best QB in the division?   Or why the Bills are most likely to win the division?

Exactly right!  What Steven A. said made no sense.  He answered the question who is on the better team?  Not one statement that he made said that Josh Allen was better than anyone albeit #4, which to me doesn't make him a good QB.  

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Once he shook the effects of mono and had a full month in the new playbook, what could Sam have done better than 6-2?  7-1?  8-0? 

Those games weren't won on defense, this wasn't Sanchez being carried or anything of that nature.  The offense put up strong points in all contests.  Sam had 15 TD's, 4 INT's, and a 92.2 Rating.  That's "producing".

SAR I

Correct, also the Jets had nothing on offense, and were a shambles on defense due to injuries.  The games Darnold lost were mostly on the Defense who was down to 2nd , 3rd and in some cases 4th string players till Williams got them to play together.

• Post of the Week 1

27 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

Coaching

Weapons

O-line

Mono

Injuries

Blame for what? He’s been pretty good for a 22 year old quarterback 

• Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

My bad.

But I think in a year or two even Bills fans will be accepting the fact that drafting Josh Allen set the team back three or four years.  Making the playoffs is good but Allen is the weak link.

This.

Darnold on the Bills goes to the AFC Championship Game last year.

It's justice, you know.  They got Jim Kelly.  We got Ken O'Brien.  We know what its like to come close to greatness and wind up with a bridesmaid. 

SAR I

14 hours ago, jgb said:

So then retort with whatever data you think makes your point. That’s how a debate works. 

Or just point out that the numbers were picked for a reason.

I'm not using numbers to totals up to now because more than once I've made it clear that my opinion is based on watching them play, not numbers.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Or just point out that the numbers were picked for a reason.

I'm not using numbers to totals up to now because more than once I've made it clear that my opinion is based on watching them play, not numbers.  

How very convenient.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

How very convenient.

I'm not getting your need to defend a Bills fans take and Allen over someone who keeps saying over and over again that in his view he sees Darnold as being the more talented player.  Thats my opinion.  Are you trying to convince everyone that that isnt true or that cold hard numbers without context is the end all when rating players, especially at QB.

Its droning into a mindless argument and its Sunday morning

I agree that Josh Allen is not a 'special" QB. Problem is, so far neither is Sam Darnold. Like Bill Parcells once said, "potential" is another way of saying haven't done it yet. There may be reasons (excuses) but the best grade I can give is incomplete.

Time for Sam to show us all that he has broad shoulders.

• Ugh 1

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm not getting your need to defend a Bills fans take and Allen over someone who keeps saying over and over again that in his view he sees Darnold as being the more talented player.  Thats my opinion.  Are you trying to convince everyone that that isnt true or that cold hard numbers without context is the end all when rating players, especially at QB.

Its droning into a mindless argument and its Sunday morning

Not defending Bills fans. Pointing out that if Josh Allen "sucks" then we are in deep poop.

Josh Allen is not a Quarterback; he's a gimmick who will soon be figured out (as was the Wildcat). 

He's a glorified runner who's an inaccurate thrower of the Football. 

Wyoming: 365/649 (56.2%). 

Buffalo: 440/781 (58.8%). 

He's already peaked.

His accuracy can not improve and it's never improved (because he stinks as a Quarterback with little room for improvement).

During his playoff loss it was his inaccurate accuracy issues as the reason why Buffalo couldn't win;

24/46 (52.2%), 0 TD's and a QB Rating of only 69.5. 

He sure likes to run tho. 

Wyoming: 232 rushes/767 rushing yards (3.2 yards per carry) and 12 Rushing TD's. 

Buffalo: 198 rushes/1,141 rushing yards (5.8 yards per carry) and 17 rushing TD's. 

And they should've let him continue running vs. Houston playoffs ala 9 rushes for 92 yards (10.2 ypc)

or even had him catch passes more often (1 reception/16 receiving yards for 1 TD Reception. 

Run the ball with him...

Pass the ball to him...

Just don't let him throw the football as his inaccurate accuracy within the 50's% will kill your offense almost half the time. 

The Problem with Buffalo? If they really wanted a game changing QB who runs the football? The youngest Heisman ? winner ever was on the board & they passed on him!

Like Allen, Lamar Jackson had a crap completion percentage in college @ only 57% (still better than mr. strong arm)

but Jackson was a proven runner (655 attempts for 4,132 rushing yards and 50 rushing TDs). 

How could they pass up on Jackson @ 7th overall if looking for a running QB and instead they take a Wyoming QB?!?!?

I loved Lamar coming out and I'm just glad Buffalo didn't. 

I don't think Josh Allen will be Buffalo's starter 2-3 years from today as they'll move on from him for a QB who can play the position accurately. 

Playoff defense is different than regular season which is why both Lamar and Allen have looked really bad there. 

• 3 years later...