Becton fails drug test

Just now, section314 said:

To play Devil's advocate here....after the Pitino fiasco, and the disaster that was Julie Herrmann, the witch that Rutgers hired to be AD, that was from Louisville, and lasted about 10 minutes before they threw her ass out, does anyone feel confident that somebody is watching the store at Loiusville?

good Point.  But I am sure that kind of stuff happens everywhere.  I went to UVA, and I lived next to a house of football players for one year...lineman.  They would tell me some stories...so much for the UVA Honor Code!  But still if he messed up I hope it was just a rare occurrence.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, section314 said:

I agree, that should eliminate weed. But it also would mean it's something much worse in NFL eyes, like PED's. That will make a difference.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was for a dilute test. If you watched his interview during the combine he said he drank a ton of water for hydration and then weighed in at 364. He said the next day when he ran the drills he was down to 355. Just a theory but a plausible one.

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, RobR said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was for a dilute test. If you watched his interview during the combine he said he drank a ton of water for hydration and then weighed in at 364. He said the next day when he ran the drills he was down to 355. Just a theory but a plausible one.

Nope. No way he could drink enough water to dilute a drug test to a significant degree. Samples are usually diluted after the urine is already in the sample cup, and 99% of the time, if the specific gravity of the sample is above a certain level (1.0035), it's almost guaranteed the person is covering up drug use. 

• Upvote 1

Not actually true at all. 

He was never remotely considered a top 15 pick until the combine. Everything I saw had him slotted as a late 1st/early 2nd at best. He most certainly was a level below Wills/Wirfs/Thomas, and deservedly so. He has sloppy technique. He’s a project, he always was. If his combine performance, which very clearly had all the draftniks drooling, turns out to have been PED fueled there’s zero chance we should be drafting him. My honest prediction on Becton is he will be fat and out of the league in 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

This makes me think back to the Jets passing on Marino and Sapp. Not saying he will be a HOF Tackle, but Dbrick type of career would not be a bad thing. So much depends on what he wants for a career one cash cow or a future.

Brick stepped in day 1 and never looked back. If you want that, Thomas is the guy. If you want a guy who might turn into a great OT in 3 years and just as likely might bust out of the league, by all means Becton is your man.

i have a feeling this guy is going to drop a lot farther than people think.  he's kind of a freak size for the position no matter what he showed at the combine.  nfl teams like certainty and there have been lots of large players who were missing other attributes needed for football.  matuszak comes to mind as does mandarich.

• Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, RobR said:

Yep, Baun as well. Hope for the kid it's not anything bad.

43 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

This makes me think back to the Jets passing on Marino and Sapp. Not saying he will be a HOF Tackle, but Dbrick type of career would not be a bad thing. So much depends on what he wants for a career one cash cow or a future.

To be fair, IIRC pretty much the whole league passed on Marino. I seem to recall he tested very poorly, too, and came off as real dumb. So, most teams may have thought he was a stoner. 

8 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Brick stepped in day 1 and never looked back. If you want that, Thomas is the guy. If you want a guy who might turn into a great OT in 3 years and just as likely might bust out of the league, by all means Becton is your man.

Brick stepped in Day 1, and never missed a game.  Brick also took about 2 years to add on some additional muscle mass before he could handle the stronger D Lineman, like Seymore.   Don't get me wrong, I loved him, and I like the pick at the time, but he wasn't an instant impact starter.

What's funny is, that was supposed to be an all time draft.   Look at the top of the draft, Brick may have been the best player, and definitely the best pick for the Jets.

draft.JPG

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

He was never remotely considered a top 15 pick until the combine. Everything I saw had him slotted as a late 1st/early 2nd at best. He most certainly was a level below Wills/Wirfs/Thomas, and deservedly so. He has sloppy technique. He’s a project, he always was. If his combine performance, which very clearly had all the draftniks drooling, turns out to have been PED fueled there’s zero chance we should be drafting him. My honest prediction on Becton is he will be fat and out of the league in 3 years.

You didn’t look hard enough. A lot of mock drafts and experts had him in the top 10 beginning with Daniel Jeremiah way back in Late January.

• Upvote 2

Generally speaking...OT is supposed to be one of safest top ten picks, when compared to other positions.  Becton probably had the highest ceiling-lowest floor of those top 4 tackles.   How safe a pick is he now?   

JD wants character guys...smart players.  Does Becton meet that criteria?

Wirfs-Wills-Thomas will be gobbled up for sure before pick #11.  

IMO JD has to be thinking Jeudy-Ruggs-Lamb if Jets stay at #11.  Or else a tradedown if offered.

2 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

We passed on Marino and Sapp because of drug allegations and both became hall of famers . Have we not learned anything ?

13 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Is it PED’s? Because it sure as hell wasnt his onfield performance that shot him up draft boards.

It is unlikely to be marijuana I think with the new CBA, but I read it and the new MJ policy is like super confusing. From what I have heard about Beckton I wonder if it is just a diuretic to lose weight or something like Aderall. If that is the case it wont affect him at all

57 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

dan marino holy shit GIF

I still don't buy that he didn't occasionally try blow at parties while he was at Pitt.  Where there is smoke there is usually fire.  And cocaine hit the Pittsburgh club scene in the late seventies/early eighties very hard.  You couldn't be that popular a level of a local athlete and not been offered it.  It's like saying, "Yeah.  I was a grunge musician in Seattle in the early 90s.  But what's this heroin epidemic from back then that I keep hearing about?  Me.  No way!"

53 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Gase picked tunsil after the bong vídeo, If he likes the Guy It Will not bê a problem

He would have to really really like him.  Like, have him as his first or second choice for OT.  Tunsil was the Consensus number one OL that year. He was one of the best OT’s to come out of the draft in a long time, and he dropped like ten spots.  Becton might turn out to be an all pro, but right now he’s just a big guy with a lot of upside.  He will get selected in the first rd, but I think he may drop a bit.  Although the thing that hurt Tunsil, was that idiotic video!  And the timing of its release.

1 hour ago, pdxgreen said:

I still don't buy that he didn't occasionally try blow at parties while he was at Pitt.  Where there is smoke there is usually fire.  And cocaine hit the Pittsburgh club scene in the late seventies/early eighties very hard.  You couldn't be that popular a level of a local athlete and not been offered it.  It's like saying, "Yeah.  I was a grunge musician in Seattle in the early 90s.  But what's this heroin epidemic from back then that I keep hearing about?  Me.  No way!"

I don't doubt he went skiing. The question at that point should have been how does he handle it? Was a he a junkie degenerate or just a guy who partied like most people when given the chance.

3 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I don't doubt he went skiing. The question at that point should have been how does he handle it? Was a he a junkie degenerate or just a guy who partied like most people when given the chance.

I don't think it would have been an issue if he'd have gone high in the draft.  But the questions were there when he was drafted and Marino has obviously been trying to deflect it ever since.  In a weird way, maybe the Dolphins got lucky from getting a guy who was empowered as a player from having been burned by a drug scandal.  Given the amount of blow that was traveling through the Miami-Dade County area in the 80's.

3 hours ago, Lil O said:

He would have to really really like him.  Like, have him as his first or second choice for OT.  Tunsil was the Consensus number one OL that year. He was one of the best OT’s to come out of the draft in a long time, and he dropped like ten spots.  Becton might turn out to be an all pro, but right now he’s just a big guy with a lot of upside.  He will get selected in the first rd, but I think he may drop a bit.  Although the thing that hurt Tunsil, was that idiotic video!  And the timing of its release.

Apparently it was Tunsil's father who released the tape btw.  I didn't remember that but just heard it on WFAN today.

46 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Apparently it was Tunsil's father who released the tape btw.  I didn't remember that but just heard it on WFAN today.

I think it was his Stepfather....not that that Necessarily makes a difference.  Depends on the family.  But yeah that was messed up.

• Upvote 1

The issue isn't really that he had a positive test, it's that he got busted during the combine.

If you know you're going to be tested yet you still go ahead and smoke/snort/ingest right before the biggest job interview you'll ever have, you just might be a moron.