What should the Jets do  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Jets do?

• Stay put and draft a need
    • Trade out of 1st n pickup a 2021 1st in the process
    • Trade 2021 1st and pickup an extra 1st now cuz it may be cheap
    • Trade down to 20-30
    • Trade up for the best OL

Let’s embrace the worse. I doubt we get to see meaningful games this year. If that’s the case, what should be the ideal strategy for the Jets in draft? I believe the value chart would devalue 2020 draft picks to a certain extent due to the uncertainty of not getting your draftees until essentially 2021.

Stay put? Trade 1st for future picks (ie 2020 1st for a 2020 2nd and 2021 1st) Gamble and use future assets to buy cheaper 2020 draft assets?

• WTF? 3

First off, I do think the NFL is the only sport that can get out of the situation with an entire season played.  It's an all-weather sport.  NFL can start in December and end in May if it needs to.  Empty stadiums or reduced capacity stadiums perhaps, but a full season is likely.

That said, if your doomsday comes true, all contracts would be held in-place if we skip a season, so there is no need to change any strategy.  Draft '20 as you would have if the season were played, draft '21 when it comes to it. 

SAR I

• Upvote 2

too many variables still in play to choose any of these choices

my simple answer is do what it takes to get a top OT on JD's board with our 1st pick

Whether that means move up, stay at 11, or move back ... whether that means the big 4, jones, or the next couple of names.  JD works the board as he see's fit, but make that 1st pick LT.

as far as involving 2021 ... I think the new collective bargaining agreement may play a role in what may be better or worse with the new structure ... I have heard particularly the 5th year option for 1st rounders may be up for debate

My understanding is the typical thinking is next years 1 is equal to a 2 this year ... so on that end make it another first rounder this year.  We can also dig into where in the round is the extra hypothetica. 1st?  etc ... etc

I know you are having fun and aren't digging that deep into it ... i can't bring myself to answer based on the info I have at this time.  I'm sure you're heartbroken that I can't answer! lol

• Upvote 1

The NFL is over 3 months away from even holding a meaningful practice.

There will absolutely be an NFL season and I’d wager that it begins right on schedule. Maybe they shorten the pre-season by two games but that’s as far as it goes.

The projected death rates in the U.S. from this have already fallen from over $2 million to around 60k. Everything is going to start opening back up within the next 4-6 weeks IMO.

2 hours ago, CurtMart said:

Let’s embrace the worse. I doubt we get to see meaningful games this year. If that’s the case, what should be the ideal strategy for the Jets in draft? I believe the value chart would devalue 2020 draft picks to a certain extent due to the uncertainty of not getting your draftees until essentially 2021.

Stay put? Trade 1st for future picks (ie 2020 1st for a 2020 2nd and 2021 1st) Gamble and use future assets to buy cheaper 2020 draft assets?

That's a great question.  Part of the answer though has to be what will the draft be like in 2021 if there are no standings for 2020.  There's no way they can just put every team in the same draft order as 2020, right?  They might have to just pick team names out of a hat to determine draft order.  That would mean KC could possibly pick #1 overall after winning the Superbowl.

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

First off, I do think the NFL is the only sport that can get out of the situation with an entire season played.  It's an all-weather sport.  NFL can start in December and end in May if it needs to.  Empty stadiums or reduced capacity stadiums perhaps, but a full season is likely.

That said, if your doomsday comes true, all contracts would be held in-place if we skip a season, so there is no need to change any strategy.  Draft '20 as you would have if the season were played, draft '21 when it comes to it. 

SAR I

Spot in. 

This is a really interesting topic. If this virus comes back in a second wave in the fall that is equally or even more dangerous I would have to think it could wipe out the season. This would make everything kind of hectic. First off most teams wouldnt even be able to really evaluate this years first rounders. A year without an offseason program may put a lot of players way way out of shape for an NFL season. It would honestly be a disaster. But getting back to your original question. I would have to think that it devalues the first round picks. Any team that trades away next years first is probably pretty smart. Another angle to this is that yes the NFL could probably play without fans - but I am not sure if college could and I am not sure if college will even be on campus in the fall. Also many colleges are going to have to adjust after this. A lot of their revenue comes from overseas students. Many may be forced to cut programs including football.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

No football 2020? 

Well then DWC will take a vacation and not return until 2021. 

Don't worry.

I'll let you guys have a parade while I'm gone for 1 year (i wouldn't be here to see it). 

No way I'm talking football for 12 months without any Football. Nope. Not happening.

Please God let there be Football (even if empty stadiums). 

10 hours ago, section314 said:

If there's no NFL this year, there will be no College football either. Therefore, scouts will not be watching any guys who would be in the 2021 draft. There probably wouldn't even be a 2021 draft. Just deal with this year.

Yup. If there is no NFL, there certainly won't be college and the entire 2021 draft would be a crap shoot..Joe burrow was a nobody heading into this past year. Now he's the consensus #1.

• Upvote 1