Denzel Mims vs Stephen Hill

Rhg1084

On 4/24/2020 at 7:15 PM, thshadow said:

How can someone be really good at the 3-cone drill, and really bad at the 20 yard shuttle?  I thought they both tested similar things.

This is like asking how can @The Crusher be so good at eating porterhouse steaks and really bad at eating Kale salads?  I thought they were both food.

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 10:35 PM, Rhg1084 said:

How’s this comparison looking now? Mims can’t catch a football 

I think it's a flawed comparison if you are looking at knowledge we had predraft. Mims had way more catches and a much larger body of work. Similarly if you are just using the analytics comparison someone already gamely pointed out that Julio Jones has a similar profile to Hill. Can't just blindly follow metrics.

Also if we get into the weeds from a stats standpoint the specificity and sensitivity of the metric are key to really understanding how to utilize it correctly. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/18/2020 at 5:20 PM, Rhg1084 said:

Denzel Mims is Stephen Hill. 

and they both struggled with contested catches against talented competition. 

I thought Mims was heavily touted as one of the best WRs in college on contested catches and last year he caught quite a few.

Yeah, Hill was no where near Mims.  

11 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

But Chase Claypool wasn't.  I would have stayed put at 48 and taken Chase.  

Those extra draft picks for dropping to 59 we got James Morgan and Cam Clarke.

Yeah, not really worth it in hindsight. 

I think Douglas mindset in trading back was he wasn't in love with anyone at 48 and he could get a player in his same grouping at 59 so why not trade back.  It was spun a different way by the fanbase but I don't think JD was in love with Mims to begin with or he would have taken him at 48.  That trade back hasn't aged well and I wasn't crazy about it at the time...and it knew it would be a bust when the Steelers took Claypool a team who hits on every 2nd and 3rd round WR they take.

• 1 year later...

The biggest problem with Mims seems to be between the ears, he honestly sounds like someone that just doesn't care about football.  I don't think any of us as keyboard scouts could see that.  Even the quote by Campbell seems to indicate the guy isn't contributing much in the locker room before they cut him.  

On 4/18/2020 at 11:20 PM, Rhg1084 said:

Denzel Mims is Stephen Hill. 

They look identical on film: They run the same, they both aren't good route runners, they both struggled with drops, both are excellent blockers, and they both struggled with contested catches against talented competition.