Howie Roseman comment on Joe D re: draft

AFJF

Didn't hear this presser and Forbes is a terrible source for "insider" news but this is him directly quoting Howie Roseman asking Joe Douglas to "call me" about a possible trade up to 11 from 21.  

Do you entertain that if you're Joe D?  

I say go for it if the Eagles are parting with multiple picks and at least one proven starting player.

Eagles have picks 21, 53, 103, 127, 145, 146, 168, 190

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I like the idea of going from 11 to 17 more than 11 to 21.  But if this draft class is what people are saying, it makes sense to slide down a bit.  11 to 21 is a big jump, so the price would have to be pretty good. I was never good at draft math, so I don't know exactly what else it would bring.  Their 2nd rounder and a 5th?

Just looked at two of the many draft value charts online and if team charts were similar and Eagles willing to pay it would be:

Jets get:

Eagles get:

That would have them within a few points of each other

If I'm Joe D I ask for 21, 103 and a veteran starter.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 2

No way! If anything it's pick 21 and pick 53 which is a second-rounder. The Eagles don't have a 3rd round pick and all of the value in this draft is in the second and third rounds. So if anything it'll take their first and second and 103 which is a high 4th. PLUS a player they're putting in to sweeten the deal!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

This guy drives a hard-ass bargain! I say we up the ante and tell him to throw in his left pinky, his two daughters, and a Year's worth of free pizzas!? Now you got a f****** deal? LOL

Hey, it's 10 team jump in the top 20 of the 1st rd.... it's Going to COST... point value goes out the window for a jump like that.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Hey, it's 10 team jump in the top 20 of the 1st rd.... it's Going to COST... point value goes out the window for a jump like that.

I'm with you 100% especially dropping down to 21 where we probably will lose out on the offensive lineman. This is where trading Jamal Adams comes into play. 

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Just looked at two of the many draft value charts online and if team charts were similar and Eagles willing to pay it would be:

Jets get:

Eagles get:

His knowledge of the roster makes getting a player back very interesting.

You would have to take 21 and 53 for 11. That would give the Jets 4 picks in the first 53 and two more third rounders, right?

That article the other day saying Douglas could get an entire line STARTER in round 3 is a crazy thought. That would be amazing.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Maxman said:

His knowledge of the roster makes getting a player back very interesting.

You would have to take 21 and 53 for 11. That would give the Jets 4 picks in the first 53 and two more third rounders, right?

That article the other day saying Douglas could get an entire line STARTER in round 3 is a crazy thought. That would be amazing.

I'm sure there will be day 1 starters available at WR and OL in rounds where we wouldn't normally expect it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I'm with you 100% especially dropping down to 21 where we probably will lose out on the offensive lineman. This is where trading Jamal Adams comes into play. 

Josh Jones should still there & who knows if Becton falls due to him testing positive... I'm okay at 21 but I Will Expect Proper Payment.... I guess I'm on the other side of the fence when it comes to Jamal... I have ZERO problem with him being a lifelong Jet & retiring in green & white,.. Sometimes a Team Needs to Keep a player like that.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, jetsons said:

A significant 10 team jump in basically the top 20 of the 1st rd of the draft IS A Significant jump... you can throw the numbers out the window when it comes to that... they can give 21, 53, 103, 127 & next years 2nd or 3rd & they have a deal... if not forget it.

Agreed, but I’ll make it simpler, 21, 53, and next years 1st.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

I like the idea of going from 11 to 17 more than 11 to 21.  But if this draft class is what people are saying, it makes sense to slide down a bit.  11 to 21 is a big jump, so the price would have to be pretty good. I was never good at draft math, so I don't know exactly what else it would bring.  Their 2nd rounder and a 5th?

That's why the trade of ADAMS for 17 and 82 is even better. So now we trade 11,211 to Eagles for 21,53, 103 or 127. We know have 17,21,48,53,79,82,103,120, or 17,21,48,53,79,82,120,127 

Lets say we move back to 21.  And we get the Eagles 2 & 4.  No reason we could not subsequently explore a trade up from 21 to say 16 or 17 so as not to lose out on a guy like Jones.  21 and 79 gets us up to 16/17.  We grab the tackle and still have two 2s and two 4s.

Even so, trade up/trade back is never guaranteed.  And we would risk missing out on a guy we really like.  We need a tackle to protect Sam's blindside for the next decade.  I have no confidence heading into the season with Edoga and Fant.  If a tackle that JD thinks can be the guy is on the board at 11.  No need to get cute.  Just take the tackle.

• Upvote 2

Daniel Jeremiah had a similar thought in the NYP yesterday, saying that Douglas is here for a while and isn’t shooting for the moon this year and could likely move around to get multiple players. Here’s the quote:

When you look at the grand plan there, Joe’s got a lot of years on his [six-year] contract, so they’re gonna be patient. The goal is in three years, when you look back, you want to see that you’ve accumulated a bunch of blue-chip players. That’s gonna be the challenge, is trying to move around the board, not just in the first round, but in other rounds, to make sure you can maximize that. I think the offensive line is the priority. If it’s close, you definitely go with the offensive line over the receiver in my opinion.

5 hours ago, jetsons said:

Completely disagree with this premise. Steelers went from 20 to 10 for Devin Bush last year. Gave up a second round pick and a future third. Point value basically held there, like 1315 versus 1300. And that’s conceptually almost identical to the premise of 21 to 11.

Not everything has to stick with the chart, but it weighs the earlier rounds more heavily. Doesn’t go out the window for first round trades. The 2 and comp 3 the Eagles would have to trade is a big cost.

Chart will go out the window for QB’s. Not this.

• Upvote 4

Just now, T0mShane said:

Daniel Jeremiah had a similar thought in the NYP yesterday, saying that Douglas is here for a while and isn’t shooting for the moon this year and could likely move around to get multiple players. Here’s the quote:

When you look at the grand plan there, Joe’s got a lot of years on his [six-year] contract, so they’re gonna be patient. The goal is in three years, when you look back, you want to see that you’ve accumulated a bunch of blue-chip players. That’s gonna be the challenge, is trying to move around the board, not just in the first round, but in other rounds, to make sure you can maximize that. I think the offensive line is the priority. If it’s close, you definitely go with the offensive line over the receiver in my opinion.

Its a good point and something I said when I saw Douglas got a 6 year deal. He’s getting top 5 gm $ too I believe. This guy is not rolling the dice on one offseason to make a splash.

He’ll be in no rush, especially to save Gase’s job, “friendship” be damned.

Douglas knows the roster is dog sh*t and needs a complete overhaul. Trading back is the Baltimore way. Unless, Douglas #1 or 2 rated LT is at 11, If there’s a good offer on the table for a trade back, we’re trading back.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

No f'ing way.

The Eagles better throw in the whole kitchen sink if they want to move up 10 spots in the top 20 of the draft. Roseman has already shown his cards indicating that he is desperate to trade up.  

8 minutes ago, derp said:

Completely disagree with this premise. Steelers went from 20 to 10 for Devin Bush last year. Gave up a second round pick and a future third. Point value basically held there, like 1315 versus 1300. And that’s conceptually almost identical to the premise of 21 to 11.

Not everything has to stick with the chart, but it weighs the earlier rounds more heavily. Doesn’t go out the window for first round trades. The 2 and comp 3 the Eagles would have to trade is a big cost.

Good point. If anything, we’d be hurt this draft. If everyone views this draft as unusually deep as the media does, then those 2nd and 3rd round picks are more valuable than normal. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Its a good point and something I said when I saw Douglas got a 6 year deal. He’s getting top 5 gm $ too I believe. This guy is not rolling the dice on one offseason to make a splash.

He’ll be in no rush, especially to save Gase’s job, “friendship” be damned.

Douglas knows the roster is dog sh*t and needs a complete overhaul. Trading back is the Baltimore way. Unless, Douglas #1 or 2 rated LT is at 11, If there’s a good offer on the table for a trade back, we’re trading back.

You’d also think, if he’s being patient, he’d let the Eagles keep the 2 this year and take their 2021 first instead. It feels like that’ll be a good QB draft where first round capital is more valuable, and neither the Jets nor the Eagles are locks to get to even eight wins next year. They could position themselves pretty nicely if Roseman gets desperate for a WR

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is why all of the mocks this year, as much fun as they can be, feel more useless than ever.  I'm convinced Joe is going to do everything he can to move around a bunch and add some picks.  Feel like he's gotta' come out of this with AT LEAST 10 picks.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You’d also think, if he’s being patient, he’d let the Eagles keep the 2 this year and take their 2021 first instead. It feels like that’ll be a good QB draft where first round capital is more valuable, and neither the Jets nor the Eagles are locks to get to even eight wins next year. They could position themselves pretty nicely if Roseman gets desperate for a WR

I’d much rather offer. I just don’t know if Philly would be willing to give up a 1st. If so, then yes a much better deal.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Butterfield said:

Ive been promoting this possible trade for a while now.  Hopefully Justin Jefferson is still available at 21.  

11, 158 and Avery Williamson

for

21, 53, 103, 190 and Alshon Jeffery

I think Jeffrey is done. 

How about #11 and Williamson to the Eagles for 21, 53, 146 and Josh Sweat. 

13 minutes ago, derp said:

Exactly.  Moving up to get a franchise QB is the only time the chart is worthless.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, deucebag said:

I think Jeffrey is done. 

How about #11 and Williamson to the Eagles for 21, 53, 146 and Josh Sweat. 

I don’t think Jeffery has a lot left either, but the jets have almost nothing at receiver.  He has one year left on his deal and think he could fill in like Thomas last year.