NFL to abandon Pass Intereference Instant Replay...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/04/10/nfl-abandons-rule-that-made-pass-interference-reviewable-by-instant-replay/?fbclid=IwAR0rmcRRq59h6ziGsCBnSIHkuSIKqHv5xCd0mK5qdA8fcKRkxQQUd41Jg3Q

NFL

NFL abandons rule that made pass interference reviewable by instant replay

Add to list

On my list

SI3DARDI3QI6VMMZHKLZTRKFCI.jpg
The NFL is set to abandon the replay rule enacted in the aftermath of the infamous missed call on the Rams' Nickell Robey-Coleman in the NFC tile game Jan. 20, 2019. (Gerald Herbert/AP)
Mark Maske
Sports reporter covering the NFL
April 10

The NFL and its competition committee plan to allow the controversial rule that made pass interference reviewable by instant replay to expire after one season, according to two people familiar with the deliberations.

The league signaled its intention Friday when a renewal of the rule, ratified by the owners last offseason after the missed call in the NFC championship game that cost the New Orleans Saints a spot in the Super Bowl in the 2018 season, was not on the list of rules-related proposals released by the NFL.

[NFL appears poised to scrap rule that made pass interference reviewable by replay]

The rule was approved in March 2019 for one year only and needed to be renewed by the owners this offseason to remain in effect. But after a 2019 season in which players, coaches and fans expressed displeasure with how the new replay system functioned, teams were overwhelmingly against keeping it, according to the results of a postseason survey conducted by the competition committee.

The rule therefore will be allowed to expire, barring the owners unexpectedly reconsidering it on their own accord when they discuss related proposals during a meeting scheduled for next month. One person familiar with the deliberations by the league and competition committee said “no vote” of the owners is expected and described the rule’s expiration as being certain.

The Baltimore Ravens and Los Angeles Chargers proposed adding a “booth umpire” to each officiating crew. That is comparable to the “sky judge” concept that many coaches initially favored last offseason and sought to revisit this offseason. A sky judge would be a member of the officiating crew stationed in the press box at each game, empowered to overturn obviously erroneous on-field calls.

That proposal will be considered by the owners this offseason, along with a related proposal by the Ravens and Chargers to add a senior technology adviser to each officiating crew. Either of those proposals could be enacted for the 2020 season with the approval of at least 24 owners. But there was no indication Friday that either is being endorsed by the competition committee, and one person close to the process said this week it’s more likely that the sky judge would first be tested as a preseason experiment. That person added that more discussion of the concept is needed.

The rule that made pass interference calls and non-calls subject to replay review was ushered in last year amid the furor over the missed call against the Los Angeles Rams’ Nickell Robey-Coleman that led to the Rams, rather than the Saints, winning the NFC title game in New Orleans and reaching the Super Bowl. The competition committee, even then, had qualms about making a judgment call such as pass interference subject to replay scrutiny, but coaches pushed for the rule.

[NFL teams are overwhelmingly against keeping pass interference calls reviewable]

Things went poorly, and many coaches said last season they no longer knew what constituted pass interference and what did not. In the competition committee’s postseason survey, 21 of the 29 teams that responded said they would not be in favor of making the new rule permanent; 17 of 22 teams that responded to another question said they did not favor extending the rule for even one more year.

Owners are scheduled to meet May 18-20 in Marina del Rey, Calif. That’s where they would consider rules proposals. It’s not clear whether that meeting will be held, however. The annual league meeting scheduled to begin late last month in Palm Beach, Fla., was canceled amid the novel coronavirus pandemic. Owners spoke by conference call instead.

Good  Now let’s get rid of the rest of the inane stoppages of play and return the game back to a more simplistic state . Not saying to go back to leather helmets and winged t formations but back to when the games flowed far better than they do now cause the games are becoming more difficult to watch 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Good  Now let’s get rid of the rest of the inane stoppages of play and return the game back to a more simplistic state . Not saying to go back to leather helmets and winged t formations but back to when the games flowed far better than they do now cause the games are becoming more difficult to watch 

Awwww come on. I love a good Wing T formation.  :)   I actually thought we'd see some of that last year with Bell and  Montgomery or Powell. 

Al Riveron sucks more at his job than anyone I know. He doesn't what he's doing, ****s it all up on purpose and somehow gets his way. Next time the refs go on strike good luck looking for anyone to care. If they where halfway competent this would have never been an issue. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Awwww come on. I love a good Wing T formation.  :)   I actually thought we'd see some of that last year with Bell and  Montgomery or Powell. 

A lot of your D1 pistol offenses are top heavy on Wing T concepts.  That offense is far from dead.

On 4/19/2020 at 7:50 AM, GREENBEAN said:

Love that Delaware Wing T formation too. When run properly with all its options it’s hard to stop. I’m surprised it’s not used in the NFL. When I coached HS football we went to the State Semifinals two years in a row and faced Edgemount in NY and never seen it run better. Virtually unstoppable. They won the States back to back with that offense.

51 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Rather they'd abandon pass interference to be honest.

I’m with you on this. I like the rules they use in Aussie Rules for when the ball is in dispute in the air. It’s a different game so some would apply better than others, but: you can’t hold or chop the arms, can’t push in the back, can’t attack too early or too unrealistically. You can push off in the front or the side, you can entangle and fight for the ball as long as you don’t do anything illegal. The whole idea is that it’s a battle between to two men for possession of a 50/50 ball. As long as both players are making the ball their priority most contact is allowed. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, MaxAF said:

Love that Delaware Wing T formation too. When run properly with all its options it’s hard to stop. I’m surprised it’s not used in the NFL. When I coached HS football we went to the State Semifinals two years in a row and faced Edgemount in NY and never seen it run better. Virtually unstoppable. They won the States back to back with that offense.

Agree entirely. It will come back. Just like the Veer did. They just call it RPO's and Jet sweeps now. lol 

But it's the Veer.  When done right the Veer is very difficult to defend. When everyone adjusts to all of these spread college offenses it will be the in thing to throw a nice fat Wing T or wishbone out there and smash those small quick hybrid guys right in the mouth all day. Then RB's will be all the rage and making the big bucks. The other teams speedy WR's will be sitting on the bench all game watching the Wishbone bloody up their Defense to the tune of 48 min of Time of Possession. 

Could you imagine a Fb and two RB's coming at the Daron Lee's  and dime defenses of the world?  LMAO!!!!  4.7 yds a clip baby. 4.7 yds a clip! 

Ahhhhhh to be old ? 

On 4/19/2020 at 6:18 AM, SAR I said:

The Sky Judge is the answer and I’m glad they’re considering it.  

No delays, no challenges, just an NFL ref watching in real time on TV like the rest of us who know a bad call in 2 seconds and can call the field and correct it quickly.  They should have done this to begin with.  

SAR I

Agree 100%.  Sky Judge > Reviewable PI.  It will save time and do the exact thing the PI rule was meant to do, correct egregious misses and mistakes by on-field officials.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Agree 100%.  Sky Judge > Reviewable PI.  It will save time and do the exact thing the PI rule was meant to do, correct egregious misses and mistakes by on-field officials.

I've yet to see a single NFL TV broadcaster get the call wrong.  Have you?  Collingsworth, Fouts, Romo, Eagle, Aikman, pick one, they can look at a replay once and get it right along with millions in the audience.  Hell, let them do it.  It's not hard to get it right.  And no one would argue that it's a bad use of resources.  It just takes too long and breaks the flow of the game.  It's frustrating when we all know the truth in 10 seconds and it takes the crew 10 minutes.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Agree entirely. It will come back. Just like the Veer did. They just call it RPO's and Jet sweeps now. lol 

But it's the Veer.  When done right the Veer is very difficult to defend. When everyone adjusts to all of these spread college offenses it will be the in thing to throw a nice fat Wing T or wishbone out there and smash those small quick hybrid guys right in the mouth all day. Then RB's will be all the rage and making the big bucks. The other teams speedy WR's will be sitting on the bench all game watching the Wishbone bloody up their Defense to the tune of 48 min of Time of Possession. 

Could you imagine a Fb and two RB's coming at the Daron Lee's  and dime defenses of the world?  LMAO!!!!  4.7 yds a clip baby. 4.7 yds a clip! 

Ahhhhhh to be old ? 

Does Darron Lee still play? 

• Haha 2

They didn't even put enough faith into the rule to really use it effectively.  

"Call on the field confirmed." 

Again and again.  Okay.  Just back up the officials every single time.  No wonder it didnt take on.  Sky Judge should ne a no beainer by now.  But this the NFL we are talking about.

6 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Ahhhhhh to be old ? 

We’re starting to see some 2 set backs and the Ravens ran the veer option last year. Yeah the good old days of ground and pound. Emerson Boozer, John Riggins. It’s coming back. 

• Upvote 1

The PI instant replay was put in place to mock the saints and millions of fans that wanted it in place after the horrible call in the playoffs. 

You could tell in week 1 the the NFL was never serious about the plan by the way they refused to overturn some blatant PI by defenders. 

It was a brilliant move because now all those that were in favor of it have shut their mouths.

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

A sky judge will fix most of the reffing issues. Just get it done already. 

The NFL is insanely bad at making the obvious right call which a Sky Judge is. They are so afraid of making any changes that upset their ideas of tradition and place WAY too much value in the "competition committees" recomendations which are  ideas by committee which usually suck.

IMO the NFL should:

1. Get a Sky Judge

2. Insure that all games whether nationally televised or not have the exact same cameras and angles

3. Remove the automatic first down for illegal contact. Illegal contact must materially hinder the route of the WR or cause change in direction

4. Change pass interference to a 15 yard penalty, face guarding without contact is not pass interference. Enforce the uncatchable ball clause.

Rules 3 and 4 have become so onerous and poorly called that it has sapped some of the excitement from football by creating what I call a "micro-pause". On every important 3rd down when the defense stops the offense on a pass, instead of celebrating the stop you have to pause a few seconds to see if a flag is thrown for holding or pass interference which is called tighter in my experience on 3rd down than other downs.

4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

He may have to pawn it, since he’s a free agent, and no ones dumb enough to resign the smurf backer.

Interesting point. I wonder what will happen with him. If anyone will actually sign him.