Last to post in this thread wins

Bulgogi bimibap.  One of the best values by weight in the District.

You would have loved the KATUSA I had assigned to my unit in Korea.

For the Korean New Year, his parents invited several soldiers over to their apartment.  There mother cooked a huge spread where you wanted for nothing as something ran out they cooked more for lunch being topped off by soju.  After a trip to the Folk Museum, they cooked another huge meal for dinner...again topped with soju.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

You would have loved the KATUSA I had assigned to my unit in Korea.

For the Korean New Year, his parents invited several soldiers over to their apartment.  There mother cooked a huge spread where you wanted for nothing as something ran out they cooked more for lunch being topped off by soju.  After a trip to the Folk Museum, they cooked another huge meal for dinner...again topped with soju.

A whole week!

A whole week!

Yeah, their New Year last like a week.

Due to regulations, we worked Monday and Friday.

On a side note, within 5 minutes of each other I bit my tongue and spilt my red pomemgranite water on my shirt because mouth.exe malfunctioned.  Luckily, I had a dark blue shirt on.

There was an article about that in the paper here.  The unibrowed sun monster?  The team is called the Jaguars.  How did that mascot replace this one:  Jaggy MacBee?

P1090603.jpg

It was because the team got new sponsors. Jaggy MacBee was the mascot during the time the team were sponsored by a company called Mac B. And I guess the new designer really, really hates kids.

And Jags does not mean Jaguars in Partick's case - it's from the thistle.

I'm sure it's afternoon there, but I just got to work.  A little hungry.  I wrote fork the first time.

It is.  My Yogurt and apple sauce hit the spot.  My issue is the amount of water I have drunk so far.

Steak and cheese with mushrooms and onions.  Did you drink too much water or too little?

I get to work at 7 central and usually between 2-3 pm, I am finished with my second 23.7 oz of water.

My office is so cold that I have soup (beef vegetable today) for lunch.  I have to walk around outside in the 90+ weather just to thaw out.  My feet are still cold at the end of my commute.

Same here.

The just fixed the HVAC and it is even colder.  I have a folder blocking my vent.

Same here.

The just fixed the HVAC and it is even colder.  I have a folder blocking my vent.

Everybody here has a space heater, but I don't know where they get them.  I just steal one from the office of whoever is out.  Somebody is always missing.  They took away control of the thermostat.  Supposedly this is a cost saving move.  I am not sure how that works since the A/C is blasting and ten people are running space heaters under their desks, but I'm sure there was an involved study with charts that proved the savings.

Everybody here has a space heater, but I don't know where they get them.  I just steal one from the office of whoever is out.  Somebody is always missing.  They took away control of the thermostat.  Supposedly this is a cost saving move.  I am not sure how that works since the A/C is blasting and ten people are running space heaters under their desks, but I'm sure there was an involved study with charts that proved the savings.

Yeah, they are not cool with space heaters.  If they are bought, the company doe snot buy them, they need to be the ones that shut off automatically.

Yeah, they are not cool with space heaters.  If they are bought, the company doe snot buy them, they need to be the ones that shut off automatically.

Sounds like here.  Nobody actually goes out of pocket though.  I think the ones we have are old stock that they bought when the heaters were being worked on.

That sounds safe.

I don't think it is too bad.  It is like a hair dryer at your feet.  They have a little pressure switch that turns them off if they are knocked over.  Would be better to just push the thermostat a few degrees.  Maybe set it at 62 instead of whatever they have it at.

I don't think it is too bad.  It is like a hair dryer at your feet.  They have a little pressure switch that turns them off if they are knocked over.  Would be better to just push the thermostat a few degrees.  Maybe set it at 62 instead of whatever they have it at.

That is what kills me.  We just spent 10s of thousand of dollars to get our HVAC fixed/upgraded. 

Before it was fixed, there were cold zones and places that you either froze or sweat to death depending on what time of year it was.  Our server floor was warm at best and my office right next to the entrance of the server floor was freezing. 

The guy said when it is fixed, it will be the opposite.  Nope.  My office is freezing.  There are still hot and cold zones.  And the server floor is still warm.

I had actually switched to the Daemons after a year.  Bunch of guys I played/coached with are with the Seamen now winning titles.  They have a big money program.  I believe started by Armani's significant other.  I couldn't get around the name.  

Sell out!   What the Daemons offered you deep dish?

How was the Italian pizza?  Germans made some good pies.

Sell out!   What the Daemons offered you deep dish?

How was the Italian pizza?  Germans made some good pies.

How was Italian pizza?  What kind of question is that?  Almost exclusively great thin crust.  I used to pay 5 euro a large pie take out.  I would generally get a pugliese (onions) or with mushrooms.  Also liked it with rucola and shaved parmeggiano.  I am sure it was better in Napoli, but I never really went.  The Sicilians had some great square, deep dish style sfincione.  I had some tremendous ones in Palermo, but wherever you are there is a restaurant with some Palermitani serving it. In Milan there was a good one in zona 2. 

How was Italian pizza?  What kind of question is that?  Almost exclusively great thin crust.  I used to pay 5 euro a large pie take out.  I would generally get a pugliese (onions) or with mushrooms.  Also liked it with rucola and shaved parmeggiano.  I am sure it was better in Napoli, but I never really went.  The Sicilians had some great square, deep dish style sfincione.  I had some tremendous ones in Palermo, but wherever you are there is a restaurant with some Palermitani serving it. In Milan there was a good one in zona 2. 

Pizza in Germany was good as well. 

There was a small Italian restaurant near our kaserne.  Everything they made and I came close to trying everything was great.  Their thin crust was fabulous.  I do not know if it is a European thing, but their sauces were different, but very good.

Pizza in Germany was good as well. 

There was a small Italian restaurant near our kaserne.  Everything they made and I came close to trying everything was great.  Their thin crust was fabulous.  I do not know if it is a European thing, but their sauces were different, but very good.

The only time I spent in Germany was in a little town just north of the Swiss border.  Great drive - up through the lakes, Lugano, Lucerne (love the lion), Zug, Zurich, the falls at Schaffhausen.   Like 51 people live in the town and stayed with relatives of a friend.  Every morning they would deliver fresh bread for breakfast.  Because it was Germany that usually amounted to a sandwich of ham or sausage for breakfast though the jam was pretty good too.  I was partial to the pretzel bread.  I never tried the pizza.  I didn't see the point. 

The only time I spent in Germany was in a little town just north of the Swiss border.  Great drive - up through the lakes, Lugano, Lucerne (love the lion), Zug, Zurich, the falls at Schaffhausen.   Like 51 people live in the town and stayed with relatives of a friend.  Every morning they would deliver fresh bread for breakfast.  Because it was Germany that usually amounted to a sandwich of ham or sausage for breakfast though the jam was pretty good too.  I was partial to the pretzel bread.  I never tried the pizza.  I didn't see the point. 

It was actually quite good snob.

Granted, I have my suspicion that the two best places had transplants from Chicago and Italy.

Pizza Hut was very good and even the pizza place on Ramstein AFB was good. 

It was actually quite good snob.

Granted, I have my suspicion that the two best places had transplants from Chicago and Italy.

Pizza Hut was very good and even the pizza place on Ramstein AFB was good. 

I'm sure it was good, but why sample imitations when you are going back to the real thing?  I wanted to eat what the Germans were best at, which was apparently tons of sausages and ham with great bread and alcoholic beverages.  You are never too far from a beer-fest.  I can tell you where there is excellent sushi and Chinese food in Milan, but I wouldn't suggest anybody go there as a tourist.  Well, maybe Nobu, but that is just because Milan is a snooty fashion town.  Generally I will stick with Italian in Italy and German in Germany.

I'm sure it was good, but why sample imitations when you are going back to the real thing?  I wanted to eat what the Germans were best at, which was apparently tons of sausages and ham with great bread and alcoholic beverages.  You are never too far from a beer-fest.  I can tell you where there is excellent sushi and Chinese food in Milan, but I wouldn't suggest anybody go there as a tourist.  Well, maybe Nobu, but that is just because Milan is a snooty fashion town.  Generally I will stick with Italian in Italy and German in Germany.

Or a Brewhaus.Get any schnitzel?  Pommes Frites?  Sooo much better than American.

Or a Brewhaus.Get any schnitzel?  Pommes Frites?  Sooo much better than American.

Yeah.  The food was very good.  Mostly we had bbq and fair food.  I did have schnitzel.  It was plenty good, but I preferred the cotoletta alla Milanese which is the same basic thing.  Up in northern Italy things are more Germanic and Austrian and the two big dishes in Milan are the cutlet and risotto. Personally, I found Milan to have some of the worst food in Italy.  Especially compared to Florence,(huge insanely rare steaks) Umbria (wild boar) and Sicily (everything - especially seafood/swordfish).  The good places in Milan were generally run by people from other cities, but it was more international, so there was more variety. 

As for the beer, we mostly stayed in that tiny town, but the amazing thing was that a bunch of people had full bars in their basements.  Not like a wet bar, like an actual neighborhood bar with a sign.  If nobody was there you just call the guy and he comes down and serves you some reasonably priced beers.  Crazy.  We went on a tour of at least four of them in a town of 51 people.  We did get strange and special treatment for being from the States though.  Whole thing was surreal.

• Maxman locked this topic