Interesting/unsettling bit on Douglas’s grading system

On 4/19/2020 at 11:50 AM, Bugg said:

Simply only guy that worries me is Ruggs. he is not in the same class as Jeudy or Lamb, nor any of the tackles. Might very well be a servicable WR, but I'm not seeing him as a 11th pick. He is EXACTLY the kind of guy Maccagnan would sell everyone as the BEST PLAYER IN THE DRAFT, or MOST TALENTED PLAYER AVAILABLE. 

Would be such a classic Macagnan pick, esp with an OT on the board. Then you wouldnt be allowed to question it or youd be a SOJF.

So now Douglas and Gase are presumably on the same page and Douglas is bringing in guys to fit Gase's 'scheme'.  So, what if Gase craps the bed again?  He will likely be gone after the season and what will Douglas do with the 'Gase players' he brought in?  Will he need to find another coach with the same schemes?  I hope not!  While Douglas is taking a methodical approach to rebuilding this team (he has a six year contract!), Gase doesn't have that luxury.  Another shot-gun marriage arranged by the Johnson's.   

For the first time in 20 years (!) Brady is not in Beantown and the division looks like it's up for grabs.  The Bills look like an up-and-coming team and added a #1 receiver in Stefon Diggs; the Fish have five (!) draft picks in the first two rounds and the Pats have that coach who has won 37 Super Bowls.  And we have Adam (On A Short Leash) Gase and Joe (I'm Taking My Time) Douglas. 

What could possibly go wrong?

On 4/19/2020 at 10:47 AM, Samtorobby47 said:

I like it but also feel like it’s better to draft this way when you have a stable coaching situation. We could very well be hiring a new HC in a year or two. Then what?

You can't operate with that mentality.  Besides, JD will be hiring the next coach anyway.

On 4/19/2020 at 11:49 AM, Gastineau Lives said:

Just tell them you're a pastry chef. For some odd reason that is way more impressive. 

"I'm a pastry chef"

"OK then make me one of those decorative themed cakes like they make on those shows."

"...........................f**k."

Just a tidbit from the Raven's organization and the way "scheme-fit" is handled there.  After the scouts have deliberated enough and added their grades to each prospect, they invite the coach(es) to get their perspective on the players.  But the question they answer is a little different from what is being talked about here.  The coaches are told to be in the mindset of already having the player on the roster and going through a game planning situation.  They are asked questions like, "If player x is your starting tackle, what will this player allow you to do? What types of plays could you, or would you run with this player?"  It changes the perspective from limiting a selection due to their negatives to focusing on what a player is capable of doing.  If a coach cannot see how they would utilize a player, no matter how talented, that player would probably not see the field for that team.

An example of this is the Lamar Jackson selection in Newsome's last draft.  It was not that Jackson did not fit into the offense that was build around Joe Flacco, it was that Jackson could open up the offense and Harbaugh could do so much more with his skillset.  He would not have been the selection if they were looking for "scheme-fit".  

• Upvote 1