OBJ update

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Our receiving core is beyond pedestrian. Our O Line may  not have a single guy that would be a shoe in starter on another team. So picking up OBJ let’s us bolster the line even further. We have a QB that could be very good going into his third year but has looked pretty awful in my opinion. OBJ needs a job and a home, we need some production on offense. It’s well worth the risk. I agree with you. 

Just imagine for 1 moment how hard it would be to cover Bell out of the backfield on the same side as OBJ? When the Steelers lined up AB & threw behind him to Bell to that empty space left they tore up Belichicks defense doing that. What OLBs do the Patriots have to cover out there? They can't use a safety because Crowder is awesome at getting open quickly, and we'll have Herndon busting the seams too. Now you throw in Perriman as the 3rd WR with the opposing teams 3rd or 4th CB with his size & speed and the defense has a dilemma. Sam has NEVER had a field to look at with that much space to work with, especially if his Oline is much improved.

OBJs presence would be tremendous for the New York Jets offense! 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Barton said:

Jets currently have 1 of the worst, if not the worst, WR/TE  corps in the entire league. There isnt even a #2 receiver on this team, let alone a #1.

If not OBJ, they better find another pro-bowl veteran WR. And they still have to draft another 1 or 2 WR/TE in the draft.

Current roster situation is just setting up Darnold to fail. Even if they draft a good WR at #11, the overall corps is barely above average unless they add a proven veteran. 

This has been said many times but since we're all bored as crap I'll repeat it. The rebuild is going to take more than one year. Start with the foundation - OL and the use the draft to fill in the WR, CB and edge depending on the depth of talent available in both this and next years draft. This year the draft matches up well with our needs at OL and WR. I'd like to see 4 of the 1st 5 picks go 2 OL and 2 WR. Then BPA at CB, edge or SS if you know who is playing on another team next season.

I've been through about 8 to 10 five year rebuilds but this one feels much different due to having Sam in place and having a GM that, hopefully, knows what he's doing and it looks that way after this years FA and we'll have a better handle on him after the draft. Another factor is I support Gase and his relationship with JD. They appear to be on the same page and that's a big factor. Is Gase a great HC, probably not, but I believe that he'll be a good competent HC who'll have his players prepared and will design an offensive that puts points on the board. How many 1st possession TD drives have you seen before Gase took over? Also base my favorable view of him as I've watched every game he's coached at Miami. His delegation of the defense to GW is a great move and shows he's going to concentrate on his area of expertise and not let his ego make him think that he has to be involved in D game plans. I hope we're able to hang onto GW for years.

I sound like a homer but believe me that's not been the case 80% of the last 50 years.

3 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

This has been said many times but since we're all bored as crap I'll repeat it. The rebuild is going to take more than one year. Start with the foundation - OL and the use the draft to fill in the WR, CB and edge depending on the depth of talent available in both this and next years draft. This year the draft matches up well with our needs at OL and WR. I'd like to see 4 of the 1st 5 picks go 2 OL and 2 WR. Then BPA at CB, edge or SS if you know who is playing on another team next season.

I've been through about 8 to 10 five year rebuilds but this one feels much different due to having Sam in place and having a GM that, hopefully, knows what he's doing and it looks that way after this years FA and we'll have a better handle on him after the draft. Another factor is I support Gase and his relationship with JD. They appear to be on the same page and that's a big factor. Is Gase a great HC, probably not, but I believe that he'll be a good competent HC who'll have his players prepared and will design an offensive that puts points on the board. How many 1st possession TD drives have you seen before Gase took over? Also base my favorable view of him as I've watched every game he's coached at Miami. His delegation of the defense to GW is a great move and shows he's going to concentrate on his area of expertise and not let his ego make him think that he has to be involved in D game plans. I hope we're able to hang onto GW for years.

I sound like a homer but believe me that's not been the case 80% of the last 50 years.

The rebuild isn't starting now, it started a couple of years ago.  We got the most important piece in Sam and now have to build around him

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Our receiving core is beyond pedestrian. Our O Line may  not have a single guy that would be a shoe in starter on another team. So picking up OBJ let’s us bolster the line even further. We have a QB that could be very good going into his third year but has looked pretty awful in my opinion. OBJ needs a job and a home, we need some production on offense. It’s well worth the risk. I agree with you. 

1 - "So picking up OBJ let’s us bolster the line even further."

How does adding a WR help us bolster the OL when un the OL is improved it doesn't matter who's playing WR if Sam is running for his life or sacked before the WR can get 15 yards down field.

2 - "We have a QB that could be very good going into his third year but has looked pretty awful in my opinion."

Wow - we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think Sam has looked as good as any QB could have given the circumstances he's had to deal with. Watching him hit WR's in stride, his pocket presence and ability to throw accurately on the run - going BOTH to his right and left is something I haven't seen in a Jets QB for a long time. Does he make a bad read and throw a stupid pick once in a while - yeah - but he's getting better at reading D's pre-snap and will continue to improve and be the best QB in the AFCE.

53 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

1 - "So picking up OBJ let’s us bolster the line even further."

How does adding a WR help us bolster the OL when un the OL is improved it doesn't matter who's playing WR if Sam is running for his life or sacked before the WR can get 15 yards down field.

2 - "We have a QB that could be very good going into his third year but has looked pretty awful in my opinion."

Wow - we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think Sam has looked as good as any QB could have given the circumstances he's had to deal with. Watching him hit WR's in stride, his pocket presence and ability to throw accurately on the run - going BOTH to his right and left is something I haven't seen in a Jets QB for a long time. Does he make a bad read and throw a stupid pick once in a while - yeah - but he's getting better at reading D's pre-snap and will continue to improve and be the best QB in the AFCE.

By getting OBJ we could use one less draft pick on a wide receiver and get poor Scrambling Sam another big horse up front.   Sorry if I wasn't clear, I seldom am. Yes, I agree we need to surround Sam with a better offense, I literally say this in almost all my posts about him. Yet, that doesn't change the fact he's playing like a bottom 10 QB in the league. Will he play better with a better offense? No idea. This is the reason Id like to trade Jamal for a 1 and 3 and pick up OBJ, give Sam a chance to prove himself with a NFL level offense. I 100% agree with you he hasn't had close to that yet. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

The rebuild isn't starting now, it started a couple of years ago.  We got the most important piece in Sam and now have to build around him

So let’s give Sam a great WR

If the jets got OBJ for their 2nd plus a middle round pick and still managed to draft a stud LT at 11 how is that not setting Sam up for success?

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

So let’s give Sam a great WR

If the jets got OBJ for their 2nd plus a middle round pick and still managed to draft a stud LT at 11 how is that not setting Sam up for success?

While would you want to saddle SAM with such a malcontent. I can see him yelling at SAM on the sideline for not getting the ball enough. Great receiver yes, but head case.... I believe in JD when he says he wants not only great football players but also those who have great character.

18 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

While would you want to saddle SAM with such a malcontent. I can see him yelling at SAM on the sideline for not getting the ball enough. Great receiver yes, but head case.... I believe in JD when he says he wants not only great football players but also those who have great character.

Sam would make OBJ a star again

Baker is a bust.  OBJ wants out of Cleveland because they are a mismanaged franchise with a sucky midget qb