Isaiah Simmons vs. Jamal Adams? #SwissArmyKnife?

Because Maxman gets a nickel of ad revenue anytime someone says Jamal I thought I'd see what people thought about this comparison...

I see some similarities.  The question about Simmons is whether he's an OLB, a strong safety, a free safety, etc?   He's a bit of a swiss army knife that doesn't have that one, true home position.  Jamal is clearly a strong safety but does a lot of the same things Simmons does.  Both can rush the passer, both are excellent open field tacklers, etc.

In this regard isn't Simmons pretty similar to Jamal who is predominately a SS, but who was brought down to the Edge almost as an OLB several times last year and registered 6 sacks?  I'm interested to see what team takes Simmons, at what spot he gets taken (before or after #6 :D ) and what position he'll be lined up at by that team.

Question - Player for player, would you rather have Simmons or Jamal Adams?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Because Maxman gets a nickel of ad revenue anytime someone says Jamal I thought I'd see what people thought about this comparison...

I see some similarities.  The question about Simmons is whether he's an OLB, a strong safety, a free safety, etc?   He's a bit of a swiss army knife that doesn't have that one, true home position.  Jamal is clearly a strong safety but does a lot of the same things Simmons does.  Both can rush the passer, both a excellent open field tacklers, etc.

In this regard isn't Simmons pretty similar to Jamal who is predominately a SS, but who was brought down to the Edge almost as an OLB several times last year and registered 6 sacks?  I'm interested to see what team takes Simmons, at what spot he gets taken (before or after #6 :D ) and what position he'll be lined up at by that team.

Adams hands down! 

• Thumb Down 1

Wake me up when he's an All-Rookie, 2x Pro Bowler and 2x All-Pro and not another Darron Lee or Vernon Gholston type of bust. 

Great, great talent but still a long ways to go before mentioned within the same sentence as Jamal Adams. 

I remember i thought 20 years ago that LaVar Arrington was going to become one of the greatest LB's ever; he wasn't. 

• Upvote 1

It's funny. They're both "tweeners". But Simmons is actually a linebacker size wise (6'4, 238 I think), faster (4.38 vs. 4.55), somebody somewhere pointed out that where he lined up for Clemson compared to where Tyrann Mathieu lined up - lots in the slot, and he still had seven sacks in that role.

I'm not sure why Simmons is not more highly regarded. He is an insane prospect. Being that big, that fast, and that productive is absolutely wild. The rumor that the Falcons want to move up for him makes a ton of sense. They play in a division with Kamara and McCaffrey, have a history of being aggressive in the draft, and he's somehow flying under the radar as a complete physical freak who's highly productive. He fits so well in the current NFL too.

• Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, derp said:

It's funny. They're both "tweeners". But Simmons is actually a linebacker size wise (6'4, 238 I think), faster (4.38 vs. 4.55), somebody somewhere pointed out that where he lined up for Clemson compared to where Tyrann Mathieu lined up - lots in the slot, and he still had seven sacks in that role.

I'm not sure why Simmons is not more highly regarded. He is an insane prospect. Being that big, that fast, and that productive is absolutely wild. The rumor that the Falcons want to move up for him makes a ton of sense. They play in a division with Kamara and McCaffrey, have a history of being aggressive in the draft, and he's somehow flying under the radar as a complete physical freak who's highly productive. He fits so well in the current NFL too.

He’s is highly regarded. You’re on a Jets forum where Simmons would play the same role as our best player. That’s why you here less about him.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

He’s basically the same. Just bigger and more athletic. I’d take Simmons just because he’d be on a rookie deal and not need a new contract.

I don't recall ever watching 52 rookies on 52 rookie deals that's ever won an NFL Championship...

Give me the proven 1st-team DOG of an NFL All-Pro over the unknown. 

Jamal is only 24 and you're worrying about a rookie deal?

2020: under contract. 

2021: 5th year team option. 

2022: Franchise Tag. 

2023: Still only 27 years of age. 

And if Corona virus cancells 2020 we'll be able to slam the franchise tag come 2023 until deciding by 2024. 

Fk a "rookie contract" when Jamal himself is already PROVEN and on a ROOKIE DEAL.. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I don't recall ever watching 52 rookies on 52 rookie deals that's ever won an NFL Championship...

Give me the proven 1st-team DOG of an NFL All-Pro over the unknown. 

Jamal is only 24 and you're worrying about a rookie deal?

2020: under contract. 

2021: 5th year team option. 

2022: Franchise Tag. 

2023: Still only 27 years of age. 

And if Corona virus cancells 2020 we'll be able to slam the franchise tag come 2023 until deciding by 2024. 

Fk a "rookie contract" when Jamal himself is already PROVEN and on a ROOKIE DEAL.. 

I’ve never seen a safety with 2 interceptions in 3 years get $15 million a year.

But Simmons is a fairly clean prospect and he’ll be real good (like Adams). It ain’t worth taking Simmons in any circumstance but I’ll take the rookie deal Simmons over $15 million Adams.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

He’s is highly regarded. You’re on a Jets forum where Simmons would play the same role as our best player. That’s why you here less about him.

That's why I said more highly regarded. I spend time off the Jets forum too. I'm not quite sure why he's not the slam dunk #2 non-QB in this draft class.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

But you can sure pretend he's an All Pro or a Pro Bowl player.

Nah, because if you draft Simmons, call him a linebacker, and he puts up 61 tackles, 6 sacks, and a garbage time INT, that’d be a pretty meager stat line for him

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, derp said:

That's why I said more highly regarded. I spend time off the Jets forum too. I'm not quite sure why he's not the slam dunk #2 non-QB in this draft class.

He is. Simmons, Okudah and Young are basically the next up after Burrow when you take away need.

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Nah, because if you draft Simmons, call him a linebacker, and he puts up 61 tackles, 6 sacks, and a garbage time INT, that’d be a pretty meager stat line for him

Yeah, because they're playing different positions

29 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

He is. Simmons, Okudah and Young are basically the next up after Burrow when you take away need.

I'd put Brown in there too.  While the first round will be loaded with very good OTs and WRs, the very top of this Draft features 4 elite defenders in those guys.  They're all better prospects IMO than Wirfs, Thomas, Jeudy, etc. from a position-agnostic standpoint.  Ignoring position, it should be Burrow and those 4 defenders as the Top 5.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I see some similarities.  The question about Simmons is whether he's an OLB, a strong safety, a free safety, etc?   He's a bit of a swiss army knife that doesn't have that one, true home position.  Jamal is clearly a strong safety but does a lot of the same things Simmons does.  Both can rush the passer, both are excellent open field tacklers, etc.

Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal  Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal  Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal  Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal Jamal SUCKS

Paid my JN fees for the year 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

In some places Simmons is second, some have Okudah after Young. I think it’s Simmons and not close. Other places have Simmons falling. The OU for Simmons’ draft position is like 7.5. He’s not *that* highly regarded.

l3itq3kixhkfudyv9wr0.thumb.jpeg.24d0f87dc229395a8acb286604375b82.jpeg

Isaiah Simmons: 

4 years (3 year starter):

College Football

238 career tackles (28.5 for loss), 6 fumbles forced, 20 passes defended, 4 INTs, 1 fumble recovery, 1 Defensive TD and 11.0 career sacks.

Jamal Adams is better at NFL Football than this kid is at college football (overall).

Jamal Adams:

3 year player (3 year starter):

NEW YORK JETS (NFL Football); All-Pro

273 career tackles (28.0 for loss), 6 fumbles forced, 25 passes defended, 2 INT's, 4 fumble recoveries, 2 Defensive TDs and 12.0 career sacks. 

Give me the proven NFL impact performer and All-Rookie selection, back to back Pro Bowl appearances (Co-M.V.P alongside Mahomes) along with back to back consecutive All-Pro selections (coming off of a breakout 1st-team performance). 

If Jamal Adams were to re-enter the 2020 NFL draft (with hindsight on an NFL level being 20/20) he's the 1st Defensive Player off the board and goes right after Joe Burrow and if he dropped he'd still become top 5 (instead of 6th). 

I'm keeping...

D-4U_ONWkAE7xwz.thumb.jpg.110c234af76a652e6674f668f58707cc.jpg

The same Jet fans praising Simmons for his college on field production haha

Are the same fans who don't realize/understand/know/comprehend how dominant Jamal's numbers have been as a Jet

Numbers aren't lying (look at Simmons and then compare them to Jamal Adams, x2). 

especially 2019 while leading us to a top 10 NFL Defense despite a depleted unit by injuries (Mosley), busts (Trumaine) and trades (Leonard)

8fa057e85aa143d9ddb03f28e8070a5e.jpg.fce4f53c72586a8ba7b4f94933c03c35.jpg

USATSI_10447720.thumb.jpg.11ed32a83a1a281b512b54c1b708d5de.jpg

Some of you guys really deserve more of Frost and Pryor. 

Jet fans deserve more of...

Jamal-Adams-1024x575.thumb.png.28a73dd21f1ba19218cbedc12aa8e878.png

Good luck for Simmons. Would be awesome to see NYG looking for their next big blue Giant Lawrence Taylor; it'll be interesting to compare their careers side by side on a yearly and seasonal basis; I've got my money ($$$) on #33 Jamal Adams. 

jamal_adams-1.thumb.jpg.cd1dbf79ab5d00b18e895bd5c86eec26.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

So would Jets fans extend a linebacker that can cover that makes the pro bowl?

Exactly. 

If not I could then label him "just a pass rusher". 

Some fane don't realize how 14 sacks per season is only 0.8 sacks per game because there's a lot more to being an OLB than "just a pass rusher" averaging less than 1 sack per game. 

That's why I hate using INTs and sacks as a way of judging a great player.