40 minutes ago, KRL said:

As a Knick fan Jordan caused way too much pain!!!  But watching that show
made me really appreciate his mentality as an athlete.  Today everyone
kisses up to their opponents and never demands excellence from their
teammates.  It was refreshing to see Jordan "hate" his opponents and demand
his teammates to give their best at all times.  On top of that it was nice
to remember how Jordan dressed (like an actual adult/professional) which 
puts to shame these "clown outfits" of today

Brady has the same mentality. He doesn't LITERALLY hate his opponent, but while he's on that field there is no love lost. The great ones all have that trait. 

3 hours ago, KRL said:

As a Knick fan Jordan caused way too much pain!!!  But watching that show
made me really appreciate his mentality as an athlete.  Today everyone
kisses up to their opponents and never demands excellence from their
teammates.  It was refreshing to see Jordan "hate" his opponents and demand
his teammates to give their best at all times.  On top of that it was nice

You had the great rivalries, and players stayed for the most part.  Players have more power now, and good for them, but they move around and re-arrange themselves.

Jordan on the Bulls.   Patrick on the Knicks.   Reggie on the Pacers.   Stockton and Malone.  Hakeem in Houston.   Going at it back and forth for years, it was great.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

11 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

I hated watching Larry Bird growing up.  It was like watching your dad's drinking buddy who worked for the parks division come over on the weekends and beat your local NBA team.  I saw him put up 49 points, 14 boards, 12 assists and 4 steals against the Blazers team that went to the NB Finals in '92.  There were like four NBA All Stars on that team and he went through them like sh*t through a goose.  And that was with a slipped disc in his back and two re-attached Achilles tendons! When kids nowadays say that it's already a given that Luka Doncic is going to be better than Bird... I want to kick out their TVs out and tell them never watch pro basketball again as long as they live.

I feel ya on this.  When someone under the age of 30 says ".... is the best passer in NBA history" and the sentence doesn't start with "Larry Bird" I usually end the conversation right there.  He was like Daredevil out there...using sonar to find his players.  As a forward.  Ridiculous.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I feel ya on this.  When someone under the age of 30 says ".... is the best passer in NBA history" and the sentence doesn't start with "Larry Bird" I usually end the conversation right there.  He was like Daredevil out there...using sonar to find his players.  As a forward.  Ridiculous.

I'm 26, never really saw Bird play. LeBron is the best passer I've seen in my life. How would you compare the two? 

3 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I'm 26, never really saw Bird play. LeBron is the best passer I've seen in my life. How would you compare the two? 

I would say watch this video and accept that passes like this happened multiple times every game with him.  Freaking Sonar.  I hated him SO much back then.  Now I realize that was the last time I truly loved watching NBA games.  

On 4/20/2020 at 8:02 AM, KRL said:

On top of that it was nice

I hate young people as much as the next guy, and I know you are mostly talking about off-the court style, but I remember Jordan having his sneakers banned for "not having enough white in them" and being ridiculed for having long shorts compared to the John Stockton shorties of the era. 

No love for the Big O?  He was mostly before my time, but I met the all-time 50 at the Garden and I can tell you that Robertson seemed to be one of the ones getting the most respect.  Maybe it was the lawsuit.  Russell sat there waiting for everybody to kiss his ring(s) and a few actually complained about him.  

It is interesting to compare Jordan, Kobe and Lebron.  I am not sure who is the best, but I am 100% confident that if you needed one basket Jordan was most likely to kill for it. He was an assassin. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...