Joe Thomas on the top 4 OTs

6 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

This is stupid. Thomas is an NFL analyst these days, not a Browns employee

That means nothing. A lot of analysts and Reporters are merely mouthpieces for teams this close to the draft, especially former players. 

This is nothing new. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 3

28 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Joe Thomas biggest mistake was not analyzing Josh Jones or Jackson as the 4th guys as Wifts shouldn't even be in the convo. He's short of like the Josh Rosen of the group. 

How interesting. I like Wirfs a lot and see him as potentially having an easier time switching to LT than Wills who's literally never played the position. Wirfs is as athletic as they come and he's got the brains and attitude.  I really like him ., 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, JTJet said:

33 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Believe nothing from anyone this close to the draft. 

Aint THAT the truth? 

All this talk about Lamb and Ruggs from the Jets and no talk of Tackle? lol Seems more likely that it's a little something to get Denver to want to jump up and grab Jeudy or Lamb to me.  :)    

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Wills my #1 choice... I wouldn't Becton ONLY if Wills is already gone.

I don't dislike Wills since he would be a very solid RT in the worst case scenario.  Frankly I'll take a flyer on any of the top 4 and am hoping one falls to us.  I'd bet a lot that JD doesn't like at least one of these guys so I feel as if what happens at 11 with whoever falls to us might surprise.   

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Aint THAT the truth? 

All this talk about Lamb and Ruggs from the Jets and no talk of Tackle? lol Seems more likely that it's a little something to get Denver to want to jump up and grab Jeudy or Lamb to me.  :)    

100%. Without. A. Doubt. 

I believe absolutely nothing the week before/of the draft. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

This is Cleveland Browns leaked disinformation. They are just using Joe Thomas to put it out into the world. 

Basically they are trying to get someone to sleep on one of the lower "ranked" OTs on his list. 

So with 4 days to go to the draft you think an NFL gm is looking at Joe Thomas OL rankings and basing his decisions off of that twitter thread?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

How interesting. I like Wirfs a lot and see him as potentially having an easier time switching to LT than Wills who's literally never played the position. Wirfs is as athletic as they come and he's got the brains and attitude.  I really like him ., 

I think Wirfs is more of guard in the NFL. Not that the Jets couldn't use another guard. But I say Wills Thomas Wirfs Becton. 

7 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Let's pretend those scouting reports are exactly what the Jets FO wrote up on each player.  Not necessarily the rank, just the pros and cons.  Who do you think they'd prefer?

My money would say Wills, Thomas, Wirfs, Becton

Agreed. I’m always surprised to see how much the “freak athleticism” trait and the word “potential” clouds people’s judgment. 

So long as a prospect has the requisite level of athleticism to play in the NFL, or really, to warrant a first round selection - then scouts/GMs should be looking more at readiness, technique, experience, psychological makeup and grit.

Wills and Thomas are clearly better players, right now, than the other two. They’re going to be good because they’re NFL ready and they’ve got enough physical gifts to translate to the pro game.
Becton and Wirfs are projects... and I’m guessing some team will gamble and take at least one of them ahead of those surefire other two.

I hope it’s not us. 

• Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

So with 4 days to go to the draft you think an NFL gm is looking at Joe Thomas OL rankings and basing his decisions off of that twitter thread?

You clearly dont understand how the spread of disnformation works. 

They arent basing their decisions off one analyst, no. But enough disinformation getting out into the world can cause people to second guess themselves. GMs and Coaches are notorious for trying to read the tea leaves for years. 

Not sure why people are surprised about this? This is something that retired GMs/Coaches have talked about doing the entire history of the draft. 

• WTF? 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If the league wants to hand the Jets Tristan Wirfs, I’m all for it

I legitimately would be fine with any of them.  They all have their warts, but I don't think any of them will be total flops.  Wirfs and Wills probably have the most positional versatility, which also limits their complete washout odds.

I think any 1 of the 4 are instantly the best OL on the team, which is depressing.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

That means nothing. A lot of analysts and Reporters are merely mouthpieces for teams this close to the draft, especially former players. 

This is nothing new. 

There has been a guy on my B/R feed "leaking" stuff about Herbert literally EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.  Like every hour, on the hour.  I'm sure there are people doing the same thing about Tua.  The sh*t is so predictable it's not even funny.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, pdxgreen said:

There has been a guy on my B/R feed "leaking" stuff about Herbert literally EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.  Like every hour, on the hour.  I'm sure there are people doing the same thing about Tua.  sh*t is so predictable it's not even funny.

It's amazing the depths teams go to to spread the disinformation. It's well documented the crazy sh*t teams have done, and you're right, it's really predictable if you are paying attention lol.

Its also worth noting some of it is clearly fans with a compulsion to pretend like they have insider info, hell we have several of those guys on this forum. 

42 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I disagree that Becton and Wirfs are projects. I also disagree that Wills and Thomas are surefire. 

Just as much as "potential" clouds judgement, so does "pro ready".  Josh Rosen was the consensus pro ready QB a few years ago.  Leonard Williams was pro ready.  Sometimes that's just another way of saying they are as good as they are going to get.  

Alright Hawkeye - we'll have to agree to disagree on our assessment of these four. You're certainly not wrong about the 'pro ready' mistake that's also regularly made.

I understand the freakishness of Becton and Wirfs, but if I'm the GM, I'm taking (in order) Wills, Thomas, Josh Jones, CeeDee Lamb and Jerry Jeudy over those two.

That's my order. Put it on the board!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

They arent basing their decisions off one analyst, no. But enough disinformation getting out into the world can cause people to second guess themselves. GMs and Coaches are notorious for trying to read the tea leaves for years. 

Not sure why people are surprised about this? This is something that retired GMs/Coaches have talked about doing the entire history of the draft. 

I love good conspiracy theories. So the browns GM contacted Joe Thomas and said “hey tweet out that Becton is the best tackle”. So Thomas risks his analyst job to tweet nonsense hoping Gettleman sees it and takes Becton. Do you actually believe that’s what happened lol

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

13 hours ago, JTJet said:

This is Cleveland Browns leaked disinformation. They are just using Joe Thomas to put it out into the world. 

Basically they are trying to get someone to sleep on one of the lower "ranked" OTs on his list. 

No.

I mean, i agree with the messaging -- but Joe Thomas is a media personality now with a bigger presence than just some dude who appears on Browns homer TV...

He's offering up his view as a linemen. That's it. He has zero association with anyone in the Browns regime presently, and is not that guy.. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I love good conspiracy theories. So the browns GM contacted Joe Thomas and said “hey tweet out that Becton is the best tackle”. So Thomas risks his analyst job to tweet nonsense hoping Gettleman sees it and takes Becton. Do you actually believe that’s what happened lol

Simply. Yes 100%. Theres way more history of this stuff to back up my point of view than not, and this would be tame compared to the levels teams have went to. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/page/hotread140312/nfl-draft-misinformation-smoke-screens-standard-fare-evaluation-season

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2019/04/20/nfl-draft-lying-season-means-dirty-tricks-misinformation-norm/3528356002/

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/The-time-of-disinformation-23210/

Theres about 1000 more articles detailing the practices if you're interested. I'm not sure how long you have followed draft season, but the first few weeks of April have a reputation for exactly what I'm talking about. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Becton frightens me because that type of prospect never works out for the Jets

Funny how a lot of Jets fans probably have this mentality.  Caught myself watching him one day and thinking "This dude's ceiling is HOF" and literally 10 seconds later thinking "I hope the Jets don't take him".

I'd honestly be fine if they did, but it just worries more more than the other guys.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, JTJet said:

Believe nothing from anyone this close to the draft

Or... what if they're using Joe Thomas to give their actual preference?

I used to 100% believe in the bolded, but I've come to realize that sometimes teams use the "hidden in plain sight" technique.

I remember there was one GM (the name escapes me) who would would always leak who he was interested in and end up drafting said player(s). It worked because everyone would assume it was a smokescreen, and nobody would believe. Honestly that's what I would do if I was a GM.

“There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.” - Sherlock Holmes

"How do you keep a secret from the world's greatest detective? By hiding it right under his big, pointy nose." - The Joker

7 hours ago, JTJet said:

This is nothing new. 

The naivete of this is the assumption that any team would be influenced by the comments of a TV analyst. Also, his comments are actually interesting and based on his depth of knowledge of the position. You don't have to agree with it, but the idea that it's some rearguard action to shape the draft is frankly ludicrous.

7 hours ago, JTJet said:

This is nothing new. 

Like who?  

In reality, not imagined.

6 hours ago, JTJet said:

This makes no sense.

They're not basing decisions off an analysis but off of an analysts tweet, blog, whatever, they're going to trade up or cause a team to make a move based on the this info?  

Which is it?  

Teams make their decisions off of inside info, inside rumors.  Not the guesses from the media

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JTJet said:

Simply. Yes 100%. Theres way more history of this stuff to back up my point of view than not, and this would be tame compared to the levels teams have went to. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/page/hotread140312/nfl-draft-misinformation-smoke-screens-standard-fare-evaluation-season

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2019/04/20/nfl-draft-lying-season-means-dirty-tricks-misinformation-norm/3528356002/

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/The-time-of-disinformation-23210/

Theres about 1000 more articles detailing the practices if you're interested. I'm not sure how long you have followed draft season, but the first few weeks of April have a reputation for exactly what I'm talking about. 

I don’t think that anyone is questioning that teams are putting out a variety of smokescreens right now, but rather the degree of certainty you feel about this specific smokescreen.

If it is bad information, depends entirely on the degree of Thomas’ loyalty to the Browns organization. Why not a former OL coach who Thomas got close to or ended up somewhere else? Or the GM who drafted him?

Also, Thomas is a former OL and a sharp dude - why can’t he be trying to build credibility and be honest to help him advance his post NFL career?

• Upvote 1