MMQB (Couple Of Jet Things)

KRL

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/20/joe-burrow-path-number-one-pick-mock-draft

I’d keep a very close eye on the Jamal Adams’ situation. There’s no questioning his game-wrecking value to the Jets defense. How he fits into the program is another question. Word last fall was that while he was annoyed with his name being connected to trade rumors, he warmed considerably to the idea of going home to Dallas. Obviously, it didn’t happen. But that sort of thing can lead a player to think a little differently about his future. And at the time, a couple execs floated the idea that he could wind up being the 2020 version of Jalen Ramsey if the Jets didn’t reward him with a deal that reset the safety market. Ramsey, you’ll remember, showed up to training camp in a Brink’s truck, got in a verbal altercation on the sideline with Doug Marrone in Week 2, then went on the shelf with a back injury before being traded in mid-October. We’ll see what measures Adams takes to make his point.

This will be an important time for young quarterbacks. Teams with new coaches get started today with their offseason programs, and most of the other 27 with incumbent coaches will get going next Monday. And in there, there’s really good opportunity for young quarterbacks to move forward as leaders, and so I figured I’d pass along this story from a podcast I did a couple weeks back with Jordan Palmer. Palmer told me that he relayed to Bills QB Josh Allen and Jets QB Sam Darnold how he used the 2011 lockout as an opportunity—and encouraged them to do the same. That offseason, Palmer’s older brother Carson had retired (temporarily), but Jordan remained on the Bengals roster and Andy Dalton wouldn’t be drafted until late April. So he made a point of reaching out to teammates, even the defensive ones, to set up workouts and discuss ways to make up for all the time lost, and he found the bonds he built (even though he didn’t wind up starting that fall) were strong. And he thought that helped everyone once things got back to normal that summer. So Darnold and Allen got to work on that, and it’ll be interesting to see how that might help once teams are back in their facilities and we know what’s to become of the 2020 season.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, KRL said:

he warmed considerably to the idea of going home to Dallas

Likewise, though I was apprehensive at first, I’ve warmed considerably to the idea of becoming independently wealthy and spending my days banging lingerie models. 

Adams desperately wanted to be traded to Dallas and threw his embarrassing little tantrum because Douglas wouldn’t cave to Jerry, not because he was upset the Jets tried to trade him. Ryan Clark confirmed Adams’ plan, as did Michael Irvin and, when finally called out on it, Adams admitted to it. He’s an entitled douchebag who smeared the entire organization because he’s a weak, me-first scumbag. And if he was a better player, Jerry would have coughed up the third round pick for him last season. But he’s not, and the one guy in the world who was motivated to trade for Jamal knows it, too.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

There is just too much out there for a happy ending with Adams as a Jet.  I don't know if they will be able to get a trade completed for this draft, but I am almost certain he will not be a Jet by this time next year, at the absolute latest.  

Whether anyone likes it or not, the writing is on the wall.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Likewise, though I was apprehensive at first, I’ve warmed considerably to the idea of becoming independently wealthy and spending my days banging lingerie models. 

Adams desperately wanted to be traded to Dallas and threw his embarrassing little tantrum because Douglas wouldn’t cave to Jerry, not because he was upset the Jets tried to trade him. Ryan Clark confirmed Adams’ plan, as did Michael Irvin and, when finally called out on it, Adams admitted to it. He’s an entitled douchebag who smeared the entire organization because he’s a weak, me-first scumbag. And if he was a better player, Jerry would have coughed up the third round pick for him last season. But he’s not, and the one guy in the world who was motivated to trade for Jamal knows it, too.

I said it at the time - Adams wasn’t upset that the jets entertained offers, he was upset at what his actual trade value is.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

There is just too much out there for a happy ending with Adams as a Jet.  I don't know if they will be able to get a trade completed for this draft, but I am almost certain he will not be a Jet by this time next year, at the absolute latest.  

Whether anyone likes it or not, the writing is on the wall.

With the nfl saying they’ll allow extra time to commensurate trades, i wonder if teams take stabs at Adams in the teens.

• Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Dallas or New Orleans. Probably wont happen until after the draft.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing that it may not happen until draft, but it just doesn't make sense to me to do that from the Jets end.  I would think you'd want to move on as quickly as possible, get your assests in place this year. Let's assume those landing spots are two realistic spots and at minimum a 1st Rd pick is in the equation..

Both teams have very good rosters without Adams, both capable of very good seasons next year.  You are risking losing potentially 10 draft sports or more with Dallas with a 2021 pick, maybe 5-6 spots  with New Orleans.    I just think from the assets you could potentially get back, doing it for this draft seems like the better scenario

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing that it may not happen until draft, but it just doesn't make sense to me to do that from the Jets end.  I would think you'd want to move on as quickly as possible, get your assests in place this year. Let's assume those landing spots are two realistic spots and at minimum a 1st Rd pick is in the equation..

Both teams have very good rosters workout Adams, both capable of very good seasons next year.  You are risking losing potentially 10 draft sports or more with Dallas with a 2021 pick, maybe 5-6 spots  with New Orleans.    I just think from the assets you could potentially get back, doing it for this draft seems like the better scenario

Totally agree. I just dont see Dallas or New Orleans giving up this years pick to acquire him. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Totally agree. I just dont see Dallas or New Orleans giving up this years pick to acquire him. 

I‘d imagine Dallas is going to be sitting at 17 looking at meh Xavier McKinney and maybe they say, “screw it,” and they choke up the extra pick for Adams. It’d get Jerry a bunch of good news cycles, which he’d love. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I‘d imagine Dallas is going to be sitting at 17 looking at meh Xavier McKinney and maybe they say, “screw it,” and they choke up the extra pick for Adams. It’d get Jerry a bunch of good news cycles, which he’d love. 

With a team like Dallas it would happen when they’re on the clock and Jerry gets the itch. If douglas is seriously considering trading Adams during this draft he better know who he’s taking at what point, and how his pick at 11 impacts this.

As an aside  - in his mock draft, Peter King basically sets the whole thing up so that the Pats can trade up and get Tua.  The most predictable thing ever coming from King.

On his headstone, someone needs to carve a picture of King with Bellicheat's ball sack in his mouth.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

With a team like Dallas it would happen when they’re on the clock and Jerry gets the itch. If douglas is seriously considering trading Adams during this draft he better know who he’s taking at what point, and how his pick at 11 impacts this.

This right here.

If a trade goes down it's going to be because someone Jerry really wanted is gone and he panics.

I'm not saying I'm 100% in favor of trading Adams, but if JD can take advantage of Jerry's flaws as the owner/GM/fanboy and get a good haul, he should do it.

This is essentially Douglas’ TRUE first season. The tone must be set. If he lets Adams run wild with this, it opens the door for future free agents to act the same way.

Let’s not forget this is the same player who said he “wasn’t ready to talk to” Douglas and Gase when the trade rumors started around the trade deadline.

It’s a bad example. He’s not Tom Brady / Peyton Manning and even they never acted like this when they would have had more room for those kind of comments.

Jamals good, hes a beast. But he has 2 picks in 3 years lol. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

This presumes Jerry will be the only bidder, though. 

8 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

As an aside  - in his mock draft, Peter King basically sets the whole thing up so that the Pats can trade up and get Tua.  The most predictable thing ever coming from King.

On his headstone, someone needs to carve a picture of King with Bellicheat's ball sack in his mouth.

King has gotten really depressing in his later years, in a very detached Mike Francesa kind of way.

21 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

There may be truth to this, but why do the Jets do this right after the draft?  If I'm not getting this year's picks, I am probably keeping him until near the trade deadline.  I'm not giving teams a discount from a 1 and a 3 by letting them delay them to 2021.  I'm not Jerry's bitch and I don't think Douglas is either.

• Upvote 1

The fact that Adams has been silent on social media about all of this reporting to me means that something is going on behind the scenes and he was told to keep quiet by his agent. Typically Adams is a baby so his lack of whining or complaining is telling in my opinion. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

There may be truth to this, but why do the Jets do this right after the draft?  If I'm not getting this year's picks, I am probably keeping him until near the trade deadline.  I'm not giving teams a discount from a 1 and a 3 by letting them delay them to 2021.  I'm not Jerry's bitch and I don't think Douglas is either.

Sure. Just depends on what Adams does then. Will he play without a new contract or just do what Ramsey did?

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Gonna go out on a limb here and guess that Douglas probably has the players in the draft ranked by now.

Yes but if he’s having discussions with teams while the draft is in the top 10, then the jets pick and he’s still having discussions about trading Adams, the guy they pick at 11 will certainly impact who they’d pick if they traded Adams and had another first rounder.

11 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Gonna go out on a limb here and guess that Douglas probably has the players in the draft ranked by now.

I'm sure he does, but nobody knows who will be available at 11. Let's say, for example, JD gets his tackle at 11, and when Dallas is on the clock one of JD's 1st round ranked receivers is still on the board. JD might be more agreeable to a trade at that point. But let's say there is nobody available that JD thinks is worthy of trading Adams for. Then he might not entertain an offer from Dallas, unless Dallas got desperate and made a ridiculous offer.

So it's not just a question of JD's draft board, but also of how the picks before Dallas go. Someone has to be left that JD values enough to pull the trigger.

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Sure. Just depends on what Adams does then. Will he play without a new contract or just do what Ramsey did?

Well, if they are offering 2021 picks, IMO that is not a serious trade offer.  If Jamal's going to throw a hissy over that, he will have to consider that those teams weren't that serious about getting him.  It might torpedo his value some, but I would be willing to play some level of hardball with him.  If nothing else, use it as a lesson for the others.

11 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Yes but if he’s having discussions with teams while the draft is in the top 10, then the jets pick and he’s still having discussions about trading Adams, the guy they pick at 11 will certainly impact who they’d pick if they traded Adams and had another first rounder.

I can guarantee the Jets already know they can trade Adams and what the potential package that's being offered is. I'm sure internally they've been debating it for a while.  Any trade during the draft would be pretty easy to facilitate bc the parameters are already there.  I'm also sure they've already prepared for the scenario in which they get an extra 1st this year.  

• Upvote 1

Who the hell is gonna be at 17 that Jerrah & his brother are jumping up & down for? Their Oline is set, they have their #1 WR, #1 RB, #1 Pass Rusher.

This is a team on a quest for a Super Bowl & they have 2 years to accomplish it snug up against the salary cap. While Jet fans are pretty meh, about a box safety, this is the type of trade that screams Dallas Cowboy offseason excitement! Based on the overview of our win vs Dallas last year, Jamal Adams was the only player on the field for the Jets defense. Never mind that he was covering a f*cking fossil in Jason Witten. 

Jamals a great player at a position that anyone close to a Super Bowl could buy a free agent Mercanary, except the Cowboys are up against the cap & could use him the next 2 years. Jamal goes home, Jerrah gets the press & a very good player, Jets get 17 & Dallas 3rd, everyone's happy! 

The more I think about this, the more I think it's a definite possibility when you match the Cowboys NEEDS to whoever is sitting there at #17. For the Boys Adams is totally worth giving up those picks.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

This is a big deal. It impacts the entire draft and the entire team. If there is a trade it has to be agreed upon before the draft not during. Maybe it's possible they don't announce it right away, but we can't pick at 11.. and then see if the Cowboys want to trade at 17. That's not a good plan.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Palmer is a brilliant grifter, man. Pure genius..

the Palmer family is actually rich AF 

like old "There will be blood" money

(except it was real estate not Oil) 

those dudes had grandparents in the Beverly Hills when it looked like the Windows XP background and was just hills 

TL;DR Carson never needed to play and Jordan doesn't need to coach.  

as for the grifting part of it I never met the dude but many ex-NFL'ers become far better coaches than they were players. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I can see a scenario where the tackles worth taking at 11 are gone and they then turn their attention to a deal involving Tyron and #17. I do think that makes a ton of sense for the Jets.  

Tyron Smith is old injury riddled they aren't going to trade Jamal for a short term lease on a left tackle. 

he's got like 1 year maybe 2 left

player for player deals are malarkey - they need a dump truck load full of draft picks to refill this roster full of 1 year players

as for Jamal trade, i've said this before and no one seems to want to process it: the 2020 draft picks have less value due to less information being available. No pro day's etc. Maybe jD can clean up cause he's a scouting wizard, we shall see. what will the 2021 draft be worth with potentially no fall CFB season? 

What would a fair deal for an All Pro on a rookie contract look like? 2 first round picks at least plus change? It's too huge for either side to consider.  

Sign Jamal forever is what the Jets should be doing. It's a world of uncertainty out there and that's why Tannehill got a deal and Dak and Yannick got franchised. Because we are living in a world with less and less information available and these picks are not worth what they used to be worth. 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the Palmer family is actually rich AF 

like old "There will be blood" money

(except it was real estate not Oil) 

those dudes had grandparents in the Beverly Hills when it looked like the Windows XP background and was just hills 

TL;DR Carson never needed to play and Jordan doesn't need to coach.  

as for the grifting part of it I never met the dude but many ex-NFL'ers become far better coaches than they were players. 

This is something a grifter would say.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KRL said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/20/joe-burrow-path-number-one-pick-mock-draft

I’d keep a very close eye on the Jamal Adams’ situation. There’s no questioning his game-wrecking value to the Jets defense. How he fits into the program is another question. Word last fall was that while he was annoyed with his name being connected to trade rumors, he warmed considerably to the idea of going home to Dallas. Obviously, it didn’t happen. But that sort of thing can lead a player to think a little differently about his future. And at the time, a couple execs floated the idea that he could wind up being the 2020 version of Jalen Ramsey if the Jets didn’t reward him with a deal that reset the safety market. Ramsey, you’ll remember, showed up to training camp in a Brink’s truck, got in a verbal altercation on the sideline with Doug Marrone in Week 2, then went on the shelf with a back injury before being traded in mid-October. We’ll see what measures Adams takes to make his point.

This will be an important time for young quarterbacks. Teams with new coaches get started today with their offseason programs, and most of the other 27 with incumbent coaches will get going next Monday. And in there, there’s really good opportunity for young quarterbacks to move forward as leaders, and so I figured I’d pass along this story from a podcast I did a couple weeks back with Jordan Palmer. Palmer told me that he relayed to Bills QB Josh Allen and Jets QB Sam Darnold how he used the 2011 lockout as an opportunity—and encouraged them to do the same. That offseason, Palmer’s older brother Carson had retired (temporarily), but Jordan remained on the Bengals roster and Andy Dalton wouldn’t be drafted until late April. So he made a point of reaching out to teammates, even the defensive ones, to set up workouts and discuss ways to make up for all the time lost, and he found the bonds he built (even though he didn’t wind up starting that fall) were strong. And he thought that helped everyone once things got back to normal that summer. So Darnold and Allen got to work on that, and it’ll be interesting to see how that might help once teams are back in their facilities and we know what’s to become of the 2020 season.

@HelenOfTroy ;-)