After the "Big 4" who is your favorite OT?

Which of these OTs would be your target assuming the Top 4 are gone?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these OTs would be your target assuming the Top 4 are gone?

• Austin Jackson
    • Josh Jones
    • Ezra Cleveland
    • Lucas Niang
    • Prince Wanogho
    • Isaiah Wilson
    • OTHER (Post in thread)

My guess is that Austin Jackson has the most upside - between having uncommon movement skills for his size and not necessarily being 100% after donating bone marrow to his sister. Also has meh tape. But I tend to be more risk seeking and like taking a big swing there. I realize this won’t be a popular take.

Wilson is intriguing if you’re not committed to the tackle playing on the left side immediately Or at all. And I’m not sure Douglas is as much as the fan base is.

Jones is the clear favorite. I don't know how anyone can look at this group and view Jones, right now, as anything but the best OT prospect of the bunch. 

However, Jackson and Prince Tega Wanogho have immense upside as legit LTs in the NFL. I think you can put Cleveland in that category as well but he is more of a project and does not have the same functional strength that Prince and Austin have. All 3 are raw but Cleveland needs to get stronger before he can even step on an NFL football field, despite his elite athleticism.

Niang and Wilson I think are destined to stay at RT. Is that a bad thing? Not at all. But I think it definitely drops their value. They're bigger and beefier but not the athletes the guys I mentioned above are. Although could probably be plugged right in on the right side. Niang in particular is intriguing because he moves really well for a how long and massive he is and could probably fit as a swing in the right system. 

6 hours ago, section314 said:

Starting to hear some decent love for the UCONN kid, too.

Peart is another raw LT prospect. I don't think he has the tools that Prince Wanogho or Jackson or Cleveland have, and a lot of the same drawbacks, but represents good value in Rd. 3.    

6 hours ago, section314 said:

Starting to hear some decent love for the UCONN kid, too.

Matthew Peart?  He's been just under the radar because of how many OTs there are this year.  But he's good.  Would probably be a late 2nd rounder in any other year, but maybe he's an option in the 3rd if the Jets want to double-dip at OT?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Matthew Peart?  He's been just under the radar because of how many OTs there are this year.  But he's good.  Would probably be a late 2nd rounder in any other year, but maybe he's an option in the 3rd if the Jets want to double-dip at OT?

I think he goes much higher than most are predicting. He's another guy that is long but probably needs a little more time in the functional strength department. You can't teach length and he's played both sides as a four year starter. Pretty good tape too, although he looks more like a basketball player right now than an OT. I'm super high on him.

• Upvote 1

For the jets, one key attribute about these tackles is how long it will take them to be functional starters.  If they trade back and take jackson or take cleveland, how long is that guy going to take to be able to play on the left side?  And with limited group training, it will take longer.  This is why i think teams are going to take the top 4 tackles sooner, b/c they need less coaching to get them starting right away.  It would really suck if the jets took a wr in the first, then took a tackle in the 2nd who was basically on the scout team b/c he couldn’t get on the field (like edoga should have been last year if they had any kind of depth).

this report on Peart has really stuck out for me:

Was engineered in a lab with a frame designed for playing offensive tackle in the NFL. 

He’s the guy you get in round 3/4 (if you go RT in the 1st) and want a development LT for depth.  We have what, TWO tackles on roster and Alex Lewis who can RT in a pinch? 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Was engineered in a lab with a frame designed for playing offensive tackle in the NFL. 

He’s the guy you get in round 3/4 (if you go RT in the 1st) and want a development LT for depth.  We have what, TWO tackles on roster and Alex Lewis who can RT in a pinch? 

1 - Thomas, 2 - Higgins, 3 - Claypool, 3 - Peart sound pretty good?

It;s between Niang (love his ceiling, high IQ, footwork - this is assuming he passed medical checks and can return to his true form) & Robert Hunt (RT or G). Footwork is big for me. The other guys are all over the place with their footwork. Hunt needs work but his problems are coachable. 

Lucas Niang:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/lucas-niang?id=32194e49-4141-5291-d7fb-bf2caffb3446 

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2020/03/18/2020-nfl-draft-lucas-niang-scouting-report/

Robert Hunt:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/robert-hunt?id=32194855-4e36-0894-8461-dd1b950e2536

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2020rhunt.php

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

Since that is true how likely do you think he'll be available in the 3-4 round area? I don't at all, and I could see JD having this guy on his radar because he fits what they're looking for to a "T". I've been calling him a second round talent since I first watched his tape a few months ago. He's crazy long and very athletic and fits the profile that he would be higher on teams draft boards, rather than what these hacks are putting out. 

14 minutes ago, RobR said:

Since that is true how likely do you think he'll be available in the 3-4 round area? I don't at all, and I could see JD having this guy on his radar because he fits what they're looking for to a "T". I've been calling him a second round talent since I first watched his tape a few months ago. He's crazy long and very athletic and fits the profile that he would be higher on teams draft boards, rather than what these hacks are putting out. 

So you think Peart will be gone before #68?

After the big 4 who are complete prospects, I don’t want another guy for our scheme in round 1. Josh Jones is a good player but there is no way JD is drafting a guy with worse combine numbers than our C and G to play LT. After the big 4, I have:

1) Matt Peart

2) Ezra Cleveland (his combine is too good to ignore)

3) Prince Tega 

4) Lucas Niang

5) Austin Jackson

After that you have guys I like but aren’t necessarily tackles:

Jack Driscoll, Hakeem Adeniji, Saadhiq Charles

44 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

1 - Thomas, 2 - Higgins, 3 - Claypool, 3 - Peart sound pretty good?

I’d LOVE the first three picks.  

If we go with Wills in the first I’d be more open to Peart in the 3rd cause we’d have bookends. Thomas and Peart seems redundant cause I see them both as ideal LTs. With those first three I’d rather go Biadsz at 3b and move McGovern to RG. 

19 minutes ago, RobR said:

Thing is, he’s not a year-1 starter. He needs more strength and coaching.

I would hope that the first two rounds yield immediate returns. 

6 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Thing is, he’s not a year-1 starter. He needs more strength and coaching.

I would hope that the first two rounds yield immediate returns. 

He has day one starting abilities because he has almost 50 starts under his belt. I'd think he struggles as a rookie just like most offensive tackles do because it's one of the hardest positions too play. If what we are led to believe about JD and our philosophy, you'd have to think we would be targeting him. I would.