Jets look to be late-round QB shopping

According to Mehta, the Jets have met with 5 Quarterbacks virtually: 

- Princeton QB Kevin Davidson
- Florida International QB James Morgan
- Michigan QB Shea Patterson
- Virginia QB Bryce Perkins
- Iowa QB Nate Stanley

All late round or UDFA types. Morgan should be drafted, Stanley and Davidson have a shot late. Perkins and Patterson probably potential UDFA pickups.

Definitely feels like the Jets have an interest in adding a potential long-term backup late in the draft.

Just now, Untouchable said:

I wouldn’t mind taking Morgan or Stanley with one of our 6th rounders, but no way in hell do I take a QB before that.

I agree. Take a guy like Morgan or Stanley in the 6th, if you like one of them. But too many other needs to consider a QB before that.

Personally, I really like Cole McDonald as a late pick, but haven't seen him linked to the Jets. Morgan might go higher, 4th or 5th round, so Nate Stanley could be our guy.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

We have enough holes . Don't need to be wasting picks on some QB to hold the clipboard . 

Our backup QB is currently David Fales. A 6th round rookie would quite possibly be an upgrade.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Our backup QB is currently David Fales. A 6th round rookie would quite possibly be an upgrade.

Luke Falk was a 6th rounder.

Most of the guys mentioned in that article are bad.  I wouldn't go ballistic if we used a late rounder on one but we need to fill other holes as well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

I wouldn’t mind taking Morgan or Stanley with one of our 6th rounders, but no way in hell do I take a QB before that.

Plus I have a feeling we will be acquiring some additional late round picks.  I think JD will trade down at some point 

30 minutes ago, RJIII said:

Bryce Perkins out of that list all day long. Kid can fly and certainly a dual threat. 

This is the kind of guy I want backing up Darnold. I'd prefer if the back up had a different skillset than the starter because it makes it harder to game plan for the opposing coach. It seems to work for any team that plays us. When the back up comes in, we look like we started playing the game without reading the instruction manual.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Good teams invest in QB’s regardless if they have their FQB. It’s about time.

Morgan or Perkins in the 6th.

I wouldn’t pick Shea Patterson to be a tackling dummy. Dear Lord why are we even looking at him?!

Agreed. You can never have too much depth at any position, and that includes QB. A good back up puts a little fire under the starter's backside.

50 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Agreed. You can never have too much depth at any position, and that includes QB. A good back up puts a little fire under the starter's backside.

And potentially becomes a bargaining chip for a decent draft pick at some point down the road.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

According to Mehta, the Jets have met with 5 Quarterbacks virtually: 

- Princeton QB Kevin Davidson
- Florida International QB James Morgan
- Michigan QB Shea Patterson
- Virginia QB Bryce Perkins
- Iowa QB Nate Stanley

All late round or UDFA types. Morgan should be drafted, Stanley and Davidson have a shot late. Perkins and Patterson probably potential UDFA pickups.

Definitely feels like the Jets have an interest in adding a potential long-term backup late in the draft.

Shea Patterson is the Cade McNown of Christian Hackenbergs

• Haha 2

If we're to take a flyer on a QB, hey why not but it's gotta be during the 6th round with our last pick. 

As we're not really in a N.E position to go Jimmy G (2nd round) just yet.

However we could be in N.E's position to go late round QB shopping (Brady 2000, 6th round, pick 1999 etc). 

Just in case something bad happens to Darnold, even for just a game or two; we've gotta do better than Falk. 

Find me an SEC QB with good numbers against the best defenses within the country; not a Bryce Petty ala no defensive conference type etc and call it a gamble. 

Even as an FSU fan out of the ACC (love when FSU/MIA are both awesome) but I'm SEC craved especially for Defense; I respect the few SEC QB's who've ever destroyed the conference (because it's extremely difficult to do historically speaking). 

Give me Kelly Bryant out of Missouri, SEC

6'4/220 lbs. 

23 years old.

Senior (5 years). 

Clemson (15-18) ACC. 

Transferred to Missouri (2019). 

And he did really well behind a suspect O-Line (watch the Gators film no chance) and a lack of WR threats (looked like Darnold running around like a chicken with it's head cut off vs the Gators). 

considering that you're never surrounded with too much offensive talent (as a QB for Missouri) compared to the likes of Alabama, LSU and sometimes Gators recruiting ability. 

At least if Sam gets banged up this kid would be fun to root for.