Rut-Roh! Anthony McFarland taken off one board for character issues?

Anonymous source and not sure if it's a smokescreen but this doesn't sound good.

Running back Anthony McFarland is hoping to hear his name called next week during the 2020 NFL Draft, but the former Maryland star didn't make a good impression on at least one team scout. 

Per The Athletic's Bob McGinn, an anonymous scout said his team took McFarland off the board because "his football character is absolutely atrocious" and he behaves "like a child."

McFarland was a two-year starter for the Terrapins before declaring for the NFL draft in December. His 2019 season was a disappointment in some ways after an ankle injury caused him to miss an Oct. 19 game against Indiana. 

In 11 games as a sophomore, McFarland put up solid numbers, with 614 yards and eight touchdowns on 114 carries. He went out on a high note with 134 yards and a touchdown on eight carries in a 19-16 loss to Michigan State on Nov. 30.

Entering last season, there were high hopes for McFarland thanks to a terrific freshman campaign. He ran for 1,034 yards and averaged 7.9 yards per attempt. The Maryland native became a household name thanks to a 298-yard performance in a 52-51 loss to Ohio State. 

B/R's Matt Miller has McFarland ranked as the 13th-best running back in this year's class.

Given the talent ahead of McFarland and the potential character concerns, his wait to find a home in the NFL next week during the draft could be a long one.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2887276-nfl-scout-anthony-mcfarlands-character-absolutely-atrocious-like-a-child

McFarland went to the same high school as Chase Young, they were in the same class at Dematha High School in Maryland.  McFarland had offers from a lot of the top programs in the country, I believe he had offers  from Alabama, Clemson and Florida.  A big part of the reason he stayed home and went to Maryland was because the people around him felt he wasn’t mature enough to go away from home and be on his own.  He’s not a thug, but the maturity issues certainly aren’t a new thing.  

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

McFarland went to the same high school as Chase Young, they were in the same class at Dematha High School in Maryland.  McFarland had offers from a lot of the top programs in the country, I believe he had offers  from Alabama, Clemson and Florida.  A big part of the reason he stayed home and went to Maryland was because the people around him felt he wasn’t mature enough to go away from home and be on his own.  He’s not a thug, but the maturity issues certainly aren’t a new thing.  

He might not be the kind of guy we want to drop in the middle of New York City on a Saturday night.

Debunking the anonymous scout quote about RB Anthony McFarland

A quote recently attributed to an anonymous scout alleged that running back Anthony McFarland of Maryland had “horrible football character.” That’s news to the people at Maryland. I spoke at length with Terrapins running backs coach Elijah Brooks yesterday, and he described McFarland in glowing terms.

“Anthony always showed up at practice. He loved competing, and we never had issues getting him going during the week,” Brooks told me. He described his time with McFarland as “fantastic” and said the running back was “a fierce competitor and also respectful … he was a great teammate, and other players gravitated to Anthony.”

More importantly for McFarland, coach Brooks told me that he’s spoken with almost two dozen NFL teams and passed on these same sentiments about his star running back.

link

• Upvote 1

Doesn't matter. Antonio Gibson. Just. Draft. Antonio Gibson. He's bigger, faster, stronger and more dynamic. Bring this dude to the Jets, let him return kicks, let him spell Bell, let him line up in the slot, he's a weapon all over the place. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

Doesn't matter. Antonio Gibson. Just. Draft. Antonio Gibson. He's bigger, faster, stronger and more dynamic. Bring this dude to the Jets, let him return kicks, let him spell Bell, let him line up in the slot, he's a weapon all over the place. 

Where would you take him?

Is he available at #120?  Can you wait until #158?  Or, do you have to get him with one of the 3rd round picks (#68, 79)?

12 hours ago, PepPep said:

I'm old enough that I couldn't help myself...

Six Million Dollar Man Art | Fine Art America

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Where would you take him?

Is he available at #120?  Can you wait until #158?  Or, do you have to get him with one of the 3rd round picks (#68, 79)?

Thats a good question. I think it depends on how JD views the need for a RB. If he really wants to make sure the position is addressed, take him at 79. If it's not very high on his list, wait until 120 and hope he's there. However, I don't think he will be there at 158, or at least you can't risk it if you actually want him. I think at that point, middle of round 5, too many teams are taking high upside guys, even if they are RBs, and Gibson will be gone. 

Or maybe you trade down from 79 to the bottom of Rd. 3 and take him there, netting a 5th or whatever. 

13 hours ago, PepPep said:

would be very happy to have Gibson go to the Jets this week.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
On 4/21/2020 at 6:42 PM, PepPep said:

Antonio Gibson would have been a great pick. 

• Upvote 2