McCloughan says Trent WIlliams better option than top 4 OT's

AFJF

I know a lot of us have a ton of respect for McCloughan's draft record.

He says even if TW, at his current age, was in this class, he'd be the best choice.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/21/former-g-m-says-trent-williams-better-than-any-draftable-tackle/

It’s hard to find a consensus among evaluators about how to stack the top tackles in the 2020 NFL Draft.

But one former General Manager believes the best tackle available this week isn’t in the draft at all.

Via Scott Allen of the Washington Post, former G.M. Scot McCloughan (who now consults for multiple teams) said that wantaway Washington left tackle Trent Williams is better than any of the group including Mekhi Becton, Tristan Wirfs, Andrew Thomas, or Jedrick Willis.

He’d be the first tackle taken this year in the draft, hands down, . . . even at his age,” McCloughan said during an interview on Team 980. “You know what you got. You bring him in, you’re going to get three to four years out of him, and it’s going to be Pro Bowl years. He’s legit one of the top five tackles in the NFL, hands down, right now. … He’s a great guy and a great teammate. Players love being around him.”

While new Washington coach Ron Rivera tried to lure the 31-year-old Williams back into the boat with a new medical staff and a lack of Bruce Allen, Williams still wants out after missing last season following a medical issue and a disagreement with the old regime. He wants a new contract, and is very available in trade.

That could likely happen this week, as teams weigh whether they prefer one of the younger models, or find themselves unable to get one.

• Upvote 1

I want him! The guy was right under Tyron Smith as the best LTs in the NFC. Look what Whitworth did for Goff. We need a LT BUT we need to surround Darnold with nasty azz offensive weapons like Mahomes has in KC. You get Williams you can take who you believe to be the best WR in this draft! You could take the a top RB in the 2nd! ( Bell I said a GONER in 2021), you could dip again at WR in the 3rd. Solve the issues you have left in 2021 draft & free agency with Bell & Trumaine being off the books. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Does McCloughan still work with the Browns or was he booted with Dorsey?

He left almost immediately after the Mayfield draft and went back to advising multiple teams.  That's what he's still doing now.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

My .02

- He's disgruntled with the Redskins because they blew him off and missed a cacner diagnosis.  Can hardly blame him.

- He's missed some time, but you can pencil him in for 13 games of elite play at LT.  I can live with that.

- If you want elite players at premium positions, you have to pay.

everything always comes down to the price whether it be trade value or salary or whatever.  the thing is he is older, hasn't played in quite some time and he may give the jets all-pro caliber play for 13 games but what about those other 3?  those three could be the difference between playoffs or division championship etc.  and we've seen a lot of people talk about bell not being completely ready to play when he came back, and he was 7 years younger.

yes you pay elite players but after such a long layoff or spotty play williams needs to prove himself.

• Upvote 2

I’m all for Trading for Trent. He’s proven and as McCloughan said, you’re getting 3-4 pro bowl years and a great teammate.

Sam’s still a baby, we need a proven commodity who can come in here, anchor the line, and protect Sam as he grows.

Skip the rookie learning curve for a LT, if the alternative is a top 5 LT.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, AFJF said:

My .02

- He's disgruntled with the Redskins because they blew him off and missed a cacner diagnosis.  Can hardly blame him.

- He's missed some time, but you can pencil him in for 13 games of elite play at LT.  I can live with that.

We are the NYJ. We don't pay elite talent. We trade them for picks. Then we fill holes by paying average talent elite money.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I thought the Jets were struggling to free money for Logan Ryan. How will they afford Trent Williams?

Aren’t the jets like $35 million under the cap?

And we can cut scrubs like Winters and Williamson to free up another $10 mil

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I’m all for Trading for Trent. He’s proven and as McCloughan said, you’re getting 3-4 pro bowl years and a great teammate.

Sam’s still a baby, we need a proven commodity who can come in here, anchor the line, and protect Sam as he grows.

Skip the rookie learning curve for a LT, if the alternative is a top 5 LT.

I don’t think it’s smart to invest that much on the hopes of excepting 3-4 pro bowl years when he’s already 32 and that would take him to age 36. Especially since he has durability issues. Longevity in the NFL is usually for the players that don’t have injury issues. It’s just not smart to “count on” unlikely things to happen. 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

everything always comes down to the price whether it be trade value or salary or whatever.  the thing is he is older, hasn't played in quite some time and he may give the jets all-pro caliber play for 13 games but what about those other 3?  those three could be the difference between playoffs or division championship etc.  and we've seen a lot of people talk about bell not being completely ready to play when he came back, and he was 7 years younger.

yes you pay elite players but after such a long layoff or spotty play williams needs to prove himself.

Yes...it will need to be some kind of prove it contract.  If he's not reasonable to that notion IMO JD will not sign him.  

Even if it's a 3 year contract...like Fant and others JD signed.  TW has to play up to the $$$ contract amount or Jets cut him and move on. 

I'd like to see something like this happen. But I don't have a high level of confidence that it will.  All indications so far paint a picture of JD as a tough negotiator.  If a deal isn't of his liking...then it's no deal.

32 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Right now the'yre around $10 mil under.  They'll cut Tru but that money will almost entirely go toward the rookie pool.  Some more will be freed up through cuts but it's fairly tight.

34 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

According to over the cap, we are at $18.8 Mil.  But that includes $11M for Trumaine Johnson, who comes off our books on June 1.  The $18 mil does not inlcude $5MM for Jordan Jenkins.  Also does not include contracts for Arthur Maulet or David Fales.  So lets say we are at $10M now.  $21M after Tru's release.  Winters and Josh Bellamy could free up $9.5M.  Williamson another $6M.  If we want to trade for Trent Williams, cap space should not be an issue.  

I would still rather find a guy in the draft, but if there is an early run on OT in the top 10, Williams is a fall-back option that would let us go WR at 11 and then add a developmental OT in R2 or 3 who can compete on the right side and hopefull step in a year or two down the road.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I want him! The guy was right under Tyron Smith as the best LTs in the NFC. Look what Whitworth did for Goff. We need a LT BUT we need to surround Darnold with nasty azz offensive weapons like Mahomes has in KC. You get Williams you can take who you believe to be the best WR in this draft! You could take the a top RB in the 2nd! ( Bell I said a GONER in 2021), you could dip again at WR in the 3rd. Solve the issues you have left in 2021 draft & free agency with Bell & Trumaine being off the books. 

How do we trade for TW and still have a 1st and 2nd round pick?  If we are getting him for a 3rd rounder, sure that sounds good, but I'd be very surprised if we got him that cheap.

7 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

Yes...it will need to be some kind of prove it contract.  If he's not reasonable to that notion IMO JD will not sign him.  

Even if it's a 3 year contract...like Fant and others JD signed.  TW has to play up to the $$$ contract amount or Jets cut him and move on. 

I'd like to see something like this happen. But I don't have a high level of confidence that it will.  All indications so far paint a picture of JD as a tough negotiator.  If a deal isn't of his liking...then it's no deal.

unless there's a trade i don't see anything happening until after the draft.  hopefully the jets put this one to bed by drafting a couple of good tackle prospects.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

My .02

He's had multiple suspensions for failed tests and for conduct. I get the interest in signing him ST if he were a FA.  But I wouldn't give up a pick given how many holes the team has.  JMO...

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Does McCloughan still work with the Browns or was he booted with Dorsey?

57 minutes ago, AFJF said:

He left almost immediately after the Mayfield draft and went back to advising multiple teams.  That's what he's still doing now.

19 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think everyone was cleared out, including baby Wolf.

Yea, but McCloughan left in May of 2018.  Dorsey didn't get the boot until this January. 2020.  Technically, the Browns said they were restructuring their front office and Dorsey walked, but it came from them not liking his management style. When Wolf and Highsmith left, Ron Wolf said their analytics were out of control.  I think they are letting the math nerds run the show.  We can (probably) thank McCloughan for Darnold because he was the one that pushed hard for Mayfield at #1 overall. 

• Upvote 2

Not to start another debate but question. If you can get Williams for a couple of picks then sign him for let’s say what it takes to sign Adams who do you prefer. Do let Adams go via a trade for picks and sign Williams or pass on Williams and sign Adams. You can’t have both which is the ideal situation you make the call. Me I prefer Williams and trade Adams not that I dislike Adams but would prefer a offensive lineman