McCloughan says Trent WIlliams better option than top 4 OT's

AFJF

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

I know a lot of us have a ton of respect for McCloughan's draft record.

He says even if TW, at his current age, was in this class, he'd be the best choice.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/21/former-g-m-says-trent-williams-better-than-any-draftable-tackle/

It’s hard to find a consensus among evaluators about how to stack the top tackles in the 2020 NFL Draft.

But one former General Manager believes the best tackle available this week isn’t in the draft at all.

Via Scott Allen of the Washington Post, former G.M. Scot McCloughan (who now consults for multiple teams) said that wantaway Washington left tackle Trent Williams is better than any of the group including Mekhi Becton, Tristan Wirfs, Andrew Thomas, or Jedrick Willis.

He’d be the first tackle taken this year in the draft, hands down, . . . even at his age,” McCloughan said during an interview on Team 980. “You know what you got. You bring him in, you’re going to get three to four years out of him, and it’s going to be Pro Bowl years. He’s legit one of the top five tackles in the NFL, hands down, right now. … He’s a great guy and a great teammate. Players love being around him.”

While new Washington coach Ron Rivera tried to lure the 31-year-old Williams back into the boat with a new medical staff and a lack of Bruce Allen, Williams still wants out after missing last season following a medical issue and a disagreement with the old regime. He wants a new contract, and is very available in trade.

That could likely happen this week, as teams weigh whether they prefer one of the younger models, or find themselves unable to get one.

Jets don't necessarily need the absolute best OT right now for a lot of money but they do need one that can learn and get better and grow along with Sammy and stay with the Jets for the next 10 yrs.  Obviously Trent Williams is a better player than any of these rookies are going to be in the next few years - maybe.

1 minute ago, Nixhead said:

Jets don't necessarily need the absolute best OT right now for a lot of money but they do need one that can learn and get better and grow along with Sammy and stay with the Jets for the next 10 yrs.  Obviously Trent Williams is a better player than any of these rookies are going to be in the next few years - maybe.

Agree, but I like the idea of Williams because then you can go Lamb, Jeudy or Ruggs at 11 without worrying about George Fant or Ezra Cleveland protecting Darnold's blind side for 16 games.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Agree, but I like the idea of Williams because then you can go Lamb, Jeudy or Ruggs at 11 without worrying about George Fant or Ezra Cleveland protecting Darnold's blind side for 16 games.

Sure if you still have your 1st round pick left after you acquire him.

2 hours ago, 20andOut said:

disgruntled 32 year old, with serious health issues, that wants to be paid $16 Million a year? No Thanks.

Post a link right now regarding his contact demand and just stop the lies. The only thing that's fact is he wants to play with some guarentee under his contract as he has absolutely none at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Sure if you still have your 1st round pick left after you acquire him.

No way the 'Skins are getting a 1 for Williams.  Offer a 3rd at best.  Otherwise draft the top OT at 11.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I like the idea of Williams as well, however even if we trade for him I think JD will use our first pick for an OT. Not at 11 though. I say he moves back, gets an extra pic, and grabs an OT that may need a bit of time to polish technique.  Williams will play LT until the rookie is ready.  Because this wide receiver class is so deep and talented I can’t see how JD would give up the opportunity of an extra pick, when he can still grab an amazing wide receiver in the second third and fourth round.I realize the top three receivers are special but I’d rather have someone like Pitman and an edge rusher or CB.  I also think JD will take 3 OL this draft. He’ll grab a center and a guard between the third and fifth rounds.  I need the draft to START NOW!  

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

No way the 'Skins are getting a 1 for Williams.  Offer a 3rd at best.  Otherwise draft the top OT at 11.

The 3 we got from the Giants should be compensation enough. That's a high #3. And, its an absolute NO BRAINER FOR US. No player in this draft in the 3rd will be as good as Trent Williams THIS YEAR.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, AFJF said:

My .02

- He's disgruntled with the Redskins because they blew him off and missed a cacner diagnosis.  Can hardly blame him.

- He's missed some time, but you can pencil him in for 13 games of elite play at LT.  I can live with that.

- If you want elite players at premium positions, you have to pay.

In fairness, though, you could swap in Bell’s name a year earlier as the sure thing elite player for at least a couple years. And unlike Williams, Bell was 27 (sitting out a 100%-healthy age 26 season). Williams may very well go right back to playing elite where he left off, and be a reliable starter for 15-16 games. He also may be the next Bell, except at a different position and half a decade older. Plus a draft pick, probably on day 2, to get him in before he demands that instant new contract?

Every year for some time now there’s a been a pre-draft acquisition, or rationalization that it’s not an immediate hole, that excuses the Jets from drafting OL early. It’s always something that can wait to be addressed next year, and then next year comes and the same thing happens. 

Just do it. The draft is rounds deeper at WR than at LT, as most drafts are every year. The pay to play at LT is in the draft more than in FA or via trade. Most starting LTs are found by early day 2, if not in round 1 outright. Other than QB there isn’t another position with this strong of a correlation. Every now & then there’s an Orlando Brown in round 3 (after MacDufus opted for Nathan Shepherd :bag:), but it’s rare.  Far chance of finding a starting WR there (or later) than a reliable starting LT. 

Unless these guys are just severely overrated - and I’ll leave that ranking to others who know better - bite the bullet. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In fairness, though, you could swap in Bell’s name a year earlier as the sure thing elite player for at least a couple years. And unlike Williams, Bell was 27 (sitting out a 100%-healthy age 26 season). Williams may very well go right back to playing elite where he left off, and be a reliable starter for 15-16 games. He also may be the next Bell, except at a different position and half a decade older. Plus a draft pick, probably on day 2, to get him in before he demands that instant new contract?

Every year for some time now there’s a been a pre-draft acquisition, or rationalization that it’s not an immediate hole, that excuses the Jets from drafting OL early. It’s always something that can wait to be addressed next year, and then next year comes and the same thing happens. 

Just do it. The draft is rounds deeper at WR than at LT, as most drafts are every year. The pay to play at LT is in the draft more than in FA or via trade. Most starting LTs are found by early day 2, if not in round 1 outright. Other than QB there isn’t another position with this strong of a correlation. Every now & then there’s an Orlando Brown in round 3 (after MacDufus opted for Nathan Shepherd :bag:), but it’s rare.  Far chance of finding a starting WR there (or later) than a reliable starting LT. 

Unless these guys are just severely overrated - and I’ll leave that ranking to others who know better - bite the bullet. 

well said.  just get the tackle in round 1 and move on.  grab another in the 3rd round or later.  use the rest on wr's, cb's and whatever else the team needs.

• Upvote 1