Jeremiah’s final top 150

I think Jeremiah is the guy whose scouting education will most closely mirror Douglas’, so what he says is interesting. He’s got kind of a contrarian ranking for the receivers and OTs respective to most of the mocks we’ve seen. Looks like this:

7. Becton

9. Lamb

10. Wills

11. Jeudy

12. Ruggs

13. Wirfs

14. Jefferson

18. Andrew Thomas

24. Aiyuk

27. Higgins

28. Austin Jackson

36. Shenault

38. Ruiz

39. Josh Jones

46. Mims

48. Pittman

• Upvote 1

If Joe Douglas’ board looks like this and if he’s less committed to having a starting tackle come out of this draft than the fan base is - both of which I think are plausible - then you could see why he’d move down with Denver or Atlanta if the opportunity presented itself. Lots of need meets value of similar players in the mid teens.

Also doubt it’ll matter for the Jets but interesting Jeremiah has Jefferson so close to the other top WR prospects. Doubt the Jets come out of the draft with him and I want a tackle in the first anyway, but I’m a big Jefferson fan.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, derp said:

If Joe Douglas’ board looks like this and if he’s less committed to having a starting tackle come out of this draft than the fan base is - both of which I think are plausible - then you could see why he’d move down with Denver or Atlanta if the opportunity presented itself. Lots of need meets value of similar players in the mid teens.

Also doubt it’ll matter for the Jets but interesting Jeremiah has Jefferson so close to the other top WR prospects. Doubt the Jets come out of the draft with him and I want a tackle in the first anyway, but I’m a big Jefferson fan.

Let’s say all 4 tackles are gone by 11, as is lamb to Jax.  If the jets trade back to 15 or 16, then I’d expect them to target Jefferson or Mims.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think Jeremiah is the guy whose scouting education will most closely mirror Douglas’, so what he says is interesting. He’s got kind of a contrarian ranking for the receivers and OTs respective to most of the mocks we’ve seen. Looks like this:

7. Becton

9. Lamb

10. Wills

11. Jeudy

12. Ruggs

13. Wirfs

14. Jefferson

18. Andrew Thomas

24. Aiyuk

27. Higgins

28. Austin Jackson

36. Shenault

38. Ruiz

39. Josh Jones

46. Mims

48. Pittman

He was the first guy out of the gate to rate Becton high.  Had him going 4th overall whlie most weere calling him a 2nd rounder.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, derp said:

I feel the same way about Jefferson. I think he’s the sort of target monster that can go out and make Darnold look good even if the pass isn’t perfect. He’s got that #1 receiver mindset, too. If they didn’t  need an OT so badly, I’d think about Jefferson at 11 even if Jeudy and Ruggs were on the board.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

He was the first guy out of the gate to rate Becton high.  Had him going 4th overall whlie most weere calling him a 2nd rounder.

We keep reading that people who are working for teams thinks the media-mocks are way off because of the shortage of information available to the hacks like Matt Miller and Todd McShay this year. It makes Jeremiah being connected and also having an actual scouting background pretty unique right now. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, T0mShane said:

I feel the same way about Jefferson. I think he’s the sort of target monster that can go out and make Darnold look good even if the pass isn’t perfect. He’s got that #1 receiver mindset, too. If they didn’t  need an OT so badly, I’d think about Jefferson at 11 even if Jeudy and Ruggs were on the board.

If you look at most expert rankings Jefferson is right there with the top 3 wrs.  Plus the guy ran a 4.41. 

I think you can make a case that trading back with atlanta and getting a 3rd and a 4th round pick and then drafting Jefferson is better use of the pick than simply taking jeudy, lamb or ruggs at 11.  Now, i will go on record as saying i think lamb is a stud and would be awesome on the jets, and as of now i think he is the pick.  I don’t think jeudy would be the pick at 11, no way, but ruggs, he’s intriguing obviously.  The fastest (pun intended) way to change the offense is to take ruggs, then pair him with a larger wr in the 3rd round.  You have added 2 weapons (before adding a late round rb with speed) who will change the way defenses have to play you.  This foots with douglas’ comments in the pre combine presser about speed, speed and more speed.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

If you look at most expert rankings Jefferson is right there with the top 3 wrs.  Plus the guy ran a 4.41. 

I think you can make a case that trading back with atlanta and getting a 3rd and a 4th round pick and then drafting Jefferson is better use of the pick than simply taking jeudy, lamb or ruggs at 11.  Now, i will go on record as saying i think lamb is a stud and would be awesome on the jets, and as of now i think he is the pick.  I don’t think jeudy would be the pick at 11, no way, but ruggs, he’s intriguing obviously.  The fastest (pun intended) way to change the offense is to take ruggs, then pair him with a larger wr in the 3rd round.  You have added 2 weapons (before adding a late round rb with speed) who will change the way defenses have to play you.  This foots with douglas’ comments in the pre combine presser about speed, speed and more speed.

I think what you’re saying about Ruggs is right, but I think having Perriman on the roster already diminishes the need for that straight speed element. It feels like what the offense is missing now, especially with Enunwa being a question mark, is an intermediate receiver who can go get it and get smacked around. That’s why I like Lamb and Jefferson over Ruggs and Jeudy. I just don’t trust the Jets to develop Ruggs at all and could end up with a Tavon Austin situation.

• Upvote 3

I'm still perplexed as to why, when evaluating Chase Young, no one brings up the fact that he basically disappeared in Ohio St's last 3 games vs Mich, Wisc. & Clemson and only had 6 unassisted tackles in those 3 games. Kirwan mentioned it on NFL radio during one of their mock drafts last week. He only had 32 unassisted tackles for the season. Personally, I got Vernon Gholston flashbacks when I watched him in 2 of those games.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/19Season_Final.pdf

• Upvote 3

Just now, T0mShane said:

I think what you’re saying about Ruggs is right, but I think having Perriman on the roster already diminishes the need for that straight speed element. It feels like what the offense is missing now, especially with Enunwa being a question mark, is an intermediate receiver who can go get it and get smacked around. That’s why I like Lamb and Jefferson over Ruggs and Jeudy. I just don’t trust the Jets to develop Ruggs at all and could end up with a Tavon Austin situation.

Thing is, ruggs isn’t merely a straight line speed guy.  But i hear you, what darnold needs is a go to guy on 3rd and 6, and a guy he can find improvising when it’s 3rd and 11 and darnold is scrambling and needs a wr who can find that spot and jump and grab it.  I think lamb is perfect for the jets, but i did read a mock this am where the top 4 tackles and lamb were all gone by 11.  Maybe this is unlikely, but it is a scenario, and i trust douglas is prepared.  Truth, i think Jefferson is much closer to jeudy than these other guys, I would rather have Jefferson and extra day 2 picks than simply taking jeudy. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Thing is, ruggs isn’t merely a straight line speed guy.  But i hear you, what darnold needs is a go to guy on 3rd and 6, and a guy he can find improvising when it’s 3rd and 11 and darnold is scrambling and needs a wr who can find that spot and jump and grab it.  I think lamb is perfect for the jets, but i did read a mock this am where the top 4 tackles and lamb were all gone by 11.  Maybe this is unlikely, but it is a scenario, and i trust douglas is prepared.  Truth, i think Jefferson is much closer to jeudy than these other guys, I would rather have Jefferson and extra day 2 picks than simply taking jeudy. 

No doubt. If all four tackles are off the board, that’s the apocalypse scenario. I think, though, based on the rumors (fwiw) these guys are all lock top nine.

1. Joe Burrow

2. Chase Young

3. Jeffrey Okudah

4. Isaiah Simmons

5. Tua (the artificial hip stuff is smoke)

6. Justin Herbert (someone will bite)

7. Mekhi Becton-OLT prospect

8. Andrew Thomas-Clean OLT prospect

9. CeeDee Lamb

Derrick Brown could be in there if someone really wants a big NT, but meh. Question then becomes what the Browns do at ten, and if the Broncos jump up for Jeudy. IMO, the Jets end up looking at Wirfs and/or Wills. And I think they have to take either one no matter who else is on the board unless Douglas lovvvves Josh Jones.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

No doubt. If all four tackles are off the board, that’s the apocalypse scenario. I think, though, based on the rumors (fwiw) these guys are all lock top nine.

1. Joe Burrow

2. Chase Young

3. Jeffrey Okudah

4. Isaiah Simmons

5. Tua (the artificial hip stuff is smoke)

6. Justin Herbert (someone will bite)

7. Mekhi Becton-OLT prospect

8. Andrew Thomas-Clean OLT prospect

9. CeeDee Lamb

Derrick Brown could be in there if someone really wants a big NT, but meh. Question then becomes what the Browns do at ten, and if the Broncos jump up for Jeudy. IMO, the Jets end up looking at Wirfs and/or Wills. And I think they have to take either one no matter who else is on the board unless Douglas lovvvves Josh Jones.

Denver trading with cleveland changes it for the jets.  This basically ensures that one of the tackles makes it to 11.  Of course, this guy may not be a guy that douglas wants at 11 and trades back anyway, but it does seem like a layup if he can draft his starting RT for the next decade.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

7. Becton

9. Lamb

10. Wills

11. Jeudy

12. Ruggs

13. Wirfs

14. Jefferson

18. Andrew Thomas

24. Aiyuk

27. Higgins

28. Austin Jackson

36. Shenault

38. Ruiz

39. Josh Jones

46. Mims

48. Pittman

Man I’d really be ecstatic if the Jets traded back to land Jefferson an extra 2nd rounder, and grab Jefferson, or just trade Jamaal for a pick in the teens to land Jefferson and an OL at 11.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Let’s say all 4 tackles are gone by 11, as is lamb to Jax.  If the jets trade back to 15 or 16, then I’d expect them to target Jefferson or Mims.

Jefferson is more of a slot receiver, and the Jets have a pretty good one at that with Crowder. Is Okudah gone, if not I would take him or Ruggs.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Claymation said:

Jefferson is more of a slot receiver, and the Jets have a pretty good one at that with Crowder. Is Okudah gone, if not I would take him or Ruggs.

I don’t think crowder should influence their pick at all.  The ruggs eval is difficult but my hunch is that the jets would prefer lamb over him.

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

FWIW, Damien Woody really likes Austin Jackson.  I think there is a lot of momentum overall on the Jackson train right now.

Obviously wouldn't be a pick at 11, but maybe in a trade back?

someone wrote about him, that he missed all of last year's training camp at USC to donate bone marrow to his sister, then he'd probably miss a lot of training camp this year b/c of restrictions.  so i don't know what you're going to get out of him his rookie year.  and i think this thinking is why the top 4 tackles are going to fly off the boards, in part b/c they don't need as much to get ready for the 2020 season.  

i do want extra picks but if the jets come out of the first round without a top 4 tackle and without a top wr, that's a buzzkill for me.  the jets need instant starters and impact players.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I'm still perplexed as to why, when evaluating Chase Young, no one brings up the fact that he basically disappeared in Ohio St's last 3 games vs Mich, Wisc. & Clemson and only had 6 unassisted tackles in those 3 games. Kirwan mentioned it on NFL radio during one of their mock drafts last week. He only had 32 unassisted tackles for the season. Personally, I got Vernon Gholston flashbacks when I watched him in 2 of those games.

I'd be scared to death to draft him, especially a team like Washington. 

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

FWIW, Damien Woody really likes Austin Jackson.  I think there is a lot of momentum overall on the Jackson train right now.

I like Josh Jones a little more than Austin Jackson in trade back.

We better be getting a 2nd and/or additional 1st for any trade back, because he fall off in talent between the top 4 tackles and top 3 receivers is significant.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

I like Josh Jones a little more than Austin Jackson in trade back.

We better be getting a 2nd and/or additional 1st for any trade back, because he fall off in talent between the top 4 tackles and top 3 receivers is significant.

this, although i don't think jefferson is that far behind the top wrs.  guy catches everything, can run crisp routes, runs a 4.41.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

someone wrote about him, that he missed all of last year's training camp at USC to donate bone marrow to his sister, then he'd probably miss a lot of training camp this year b/c of restrictions.  so i don't know what you're going to get out of him his rookie year.  and i think this thinking is why the top 4 tackles are going to fly off the boards, in part b/c they don't need as much to get ready for the 2020 season.  

i do want extra picks but if the jets come out of the first round without a top 4 tackle and without a top wr, that's a buzzkill for me.  the jets need instant starters and impact players.

Austin Jackson has a high ceiling, but is a developmental prospect at this point. He’s only going in the first because of his premium position. Otherwise, he’s 2nd at this stage in his career.

57 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I agree.  Jefferson is a monster and has the mentality to be a number 1 WR.  I like him better than anybody, especially after his combine performance.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I skimmed the massive write up of the top 50 prospects ranked by a couple of guys that Peter King referenced in his piece yesterday. The weaknesses section for Jefferson ended up mostly being a long bit about him being labeled as a slot but there being evidence he can play outside as well from his sophomore year, and a tiny blurb about him timing faster than he plays.

Just seems like a really safe prospect. Produced in two different schemes and roles. Best size of the top 4 WR prospects, second best speed, young so there’s physical upside as well. And I think the amount you see him make plays in traffic is what makes him look like an NFL receiver. Need to be comfortable in tight spaces with bodies all over the place - he did a ton of that last year. And related - dude is a natural hands catcher, away from his frame, contorting different ways, holds on after he gets hit. That’s so important.

I think he’s the safest bet to be a top 3 producer from this class. Some smart team will draft him and laugh their way to the bank. Watch the Ravens move up for him into like the late teens and have him just dominate with Jackson for years.

Also saw your Ruggs comment in terms of having the speed element with Perriman already. I agree conceptually, but I still think Douglas wants to add even more speed. That also fits Gase’s MO. Also fits what the entire NFL wants to do now which worries me a little.  But I don’t expect him to go for a traditional possession guy. Would love to be wrong. Claypool is a nice blend of fast, athletic, big, and he plays special teams. He’s the most logical R2 target to me and I bet they’d love to still add a speedster with him.

Two guys on Jeremiah’s list who jumped out to me as guys we haven’t talked about at all on here but are fast and ranked higher than I’ve seen elsewhere - John Hightower and Darnell Mooney. Looks like Hightower could be a day two surprise. Great athlete. I’m a big fan of Mooney and if they only draft one receiver on day two I wonder if he’s a day three target. Maybe even if they draft two. I think those guys come off the board earlier than most are predicting.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

People get way too caught up in this “he disappeared in games” mantra.  If you look at just stats you aren’t really looking at anything.  If you watch those games, you would see that those teams specifically game planned on not letting Young beat them.  Constant double and even triple teams.   I can tell you from the Clemson game that they didn’t leave Young one on one unless it was a run play to the opposite side of the field.   Game context is vital if you are truly evaluating a guy.  I’m not sure how you can get Vernon Gholston vibes when watching Young, they are two entirely different players.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I could see this.

11 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Austin Jackson has a high ceiling, but is a developmental prospect at this point. He’s only going in the first because of his premium position. Otherwise, he’s 2nd at this stage in his career.

I agree - obviously the bone marrow issue held him back. Consensus was that he should have gone back to school - but he’s likely going to be a first round pick this year - to me that indicates teams think he could have gone pretty high in next year’s draft if he cleaned some things up. Obviously teams like the traits a lot.

I know we as fans want a tackle who can play right away. Does that matter as much to Douglas? I imagine with his contract he’s taking a longer view than we are.

• Upvote 1

Just now, derp said:

I could see this.

I agree - obviously the bone marrow issue held him back. Consensus was that he should have gone back to school - but he’s likely going to be a first round pick this year - to me that indicates teams think he could have gone pretty high in next year’s draft if he cleaned some things up. Obviously teams like the traits a lot.

I know we as fans want a tackle who can play right away. Does that matter as much to Douglas? I imagine with his contract he’s taking a longer view than we are.

i don't see douglas drafting someone in round 1 who may not be an impact player from day 1.  what team needs an instant contributor more than the jets?

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

People get way too caught up in this “he disappeared in games” mantra.  If you look at just stats you aren’t really looking at anything.  If you watch those games, you would see that those teams specifically game planned on not letting Young beat them.  Constant double and even triple teams.   I can tell you from the Clemson game that they didn’t leave Young one on one unless it was a run play to the opposite side of the field.   Game context is vital if you are truly evaluating a guy.  I’m not sure how you can get Vernon Gholston vibes when watching Young, they are two entirely different players.  

I do recall watching him a few times last year (at the end of the season) and thinking "I'm not sure I get what people are raving about.". One thing I noticed quite a bit with Young when I watched him (and also Gholston) was when the play goes away from them, not much effort to do anyting

My Gholston comparison is I remember distinctly watching OSU's last bowl game that year (focusing on Gholston) and thought he was doggin' it. I remember specifically him getting destroyed by a TE on a goal-line play and thinking "Why is this guy so hyped?". Watching Young the last few games I had the exact same feeling.

I may be completely off, but just my $.02

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, derp said:

I skimmed the massive write up of the top 50 prospects ranked by a couple of guys that Peter King referenced in his piece yesterday. The weaknesses section for Jefferson ended up mostly being a long bit about him being labeled as a slot but there being evidence he can play outside as well from his sophomore year, and a tiny blurb about him timing faster than he plays.

Just seems like a really safe prospect. Produced in two different schemes and roles. Best size of the top 4 WR prospects, second best speed, young so there’s physical upside as well. And I think the amount you see him make plays in traffic is what makes him look like an NFL receiver. Need to be comfortable in tight spaces with bodies all over the place - he did a ton of that last year. And related - dude is a natural hands catcher, away from his frame, contorting different ways, holds on after he gets hit. That’s so important.

I think he’s the safest bet to be a top 3 producer from this class. Some smart team will draft him and laugh their way to the bank. Watch the Ravens move up for him into like the late teens and have him just dominate with Jackson for years.

Also saw your Ruggs comment in terms of having the speed element with Perriman already. I agree conceptually, but I still think Douglas wants to add even more speed. That also fits Gase’s MO. Also fits what the entire NFL wants to do now which worries me a little.  But I don’t expect him to go for a traditional possession guy. Would love to be wrong. Claypool is a nice blend of fast, athletic, big, and he plays special teams. He’s the most logical R2 target to me and I bet they’d love to still add a speedster with him.

Two guys on Jeremiah’s list who jumped out to me as guys we haven’t talked about at all on here but are fast and ranked higher than I’ve seen elsewhere - John Hightower and Darnell Mooney. Looks like Hightower could be a day two surprise. Great athlete. I’m a big fan of Mooney and if they only draft one receiver on day two I wonder if he’s a day three target. Maybe even if they draft two. I think those guys come off the board earlier than most are predicting.

Jefferson 100% feels like someone the Steelers would pick. I see Hightower’s name a bunch in those “anonymous scout said...” bits. I’m really curious to see how this all goes down this year. Feels like a bunch of guys we think are fourth rounders go in round two and vice versa

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

We keep reading that people who are working for teams thinks the media-mocks are way off because of the shortage of information available to the hacks like Matt Miller and Todd McShay this year. It makes Jeremiah being connected and also having an actual scouting background pretty unique right now. 

McShay and Joe Douglas go way back as well so he may have some Jets stuff that I'm sure he can't/won't share or at least has a feel for what he likes.

I think they were actually roomates for a time.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i don't see douglas drafting someone in round 1 who may not be an impact player from day 1.  what team needs an instant contributor more than the jets?

I mean, several. And beyond that, I’m not saying he doesn’t draft an immediate contributor. I just think he’s going to take a longer view than we as fans do. Which GM’s always do, and we’re always surprised when they don’t take a plug and play starter. Which happens pretty frequently.

Douglas is here to put together a team for the long haul. If he really likes a prospect down the road and thinks he could be a long-term piece at a key position - I’m not sure he minds that he may not be a plug and play guy. I think he’s got his band aids in place in case the draft doesn’t fall his way. We might not like them but I bet he’s fine with them.

The other thing I’d throw out there. Adams is at least worthy of a second contract though he’s turning into a headache. Darnold hopefully. Before that...Wilkerson? Sanchez. Brick and Mangold. Revis was good enough. Maybe I’m missing someone. Jets haven’t gotten long-term pieces. I’d like some long-term players.

I’d also argue that this year presumably there are going to be a lot of interruptions of practice time and preparation if the season happens at all. So this is as good a year as any to take a long term view with draft prospects since we don’t know if we’re having a season or how much time the coaches will have to get guys up to speed. I think this rookie class probably has less impact than most.

• Upvote 3