Book thread

AFJF

Storm of Swords

Lying  - Sam Harris

and I’ll read anything on the French Revolution:

A new world begins 

Liberty or Death: The French Revolution 

If you’re at all interested in history or politics, I highly recommend reading about that time period.

Also enjoying Rutger Bregman’s Utopia for Realists recently. 

At some point I have to check out the Dune series and the Expanse series.

I’m reading Beyond Broadway Joe a book by Bob Lederer c2018 about the ‘68 team I got as a gift from one of our kids along with a Mets book. Its ok nothing special. One interesting debate they had was whether Namath guaranteeing the win helped or hurt the team. Many of the players thought it helped. And that kind of brashness built their confidence esp since most experts gave them no chance to win. Weeb had told the players to shut up before the game he didn’t want to give the Colts any bulletin board material. And he was mad at Joe even though he loved the guy and never busted his chops. He let Namath know how he felt that time but without any drama. 

Knocked out a few in quarantine thus far:

Both Borne and Dead Astronauts by Jeff Vandermeer are amazing and hilarious.

The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson was indeed splendid. So timely, and inspiring to see what true leadership can do for a community in the face of a horrendous crisis.

These Truths by Jill Lepore, loved it. 

Dreams of El Dorado was a nice concise history. Enjoyed it quite a bit. I have been on a big western expansion kick the last year and it paired nicely with Federalist Frontier by Kristopher Mauldin, Ghosts of Gold Mountain by Eric Chang, Pioneers by David McCullough, and a few others. I just ordered the Three Cornered War by Megan Nelson so that will probably be a nice conclusion to my exploration of the topic. 

The City that We Became by NK Jemison was good but her other stuff is better. I will give her credit that the concept she tried to tackle in this new one was a challenging one so she deserves the benefit of the doubt with it.