Why Do Out Of Touch, Corporate Types That Have Never Played Football Keep F*cking Up Logos & Uniforms

PCP63

I like our new uniforms. They are cleaner and more vibrant. The logo is a fail but not sure anything with a Jet would work either. They are far from perfect. Many love the old Namath uniforms which were NOT the same as the ones we recently wore. They are nostalgic and we like them because we are used to them but they are actually pretty awful. I am sure at some point we will change again and everyone will hate the new uniforms all over.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PCP63 said:

Nothing, I guess. But maybe someone that actually watches football would realize that these "new, hip, corporate" logos are not what NFL fans want.

I must admit that it frustrates me, who is an athlete and follows most sports, but is a graphic designer for a living, when companies pick designers that aren't plugged into the sport, to design their identity. The other point is that the more dynamic logos are exactly what the young fans want. If you judge most of the NFL logos as a teenager with no loyalty to a team, you won't get many positive responses. And logos and uniforms are two entirely different things. A person that designs the logo most likely wouldn't be the person that designs the uni. The uni should always play off the elements the logo has established, not the other way around - like what the Rams just did.

Playing football is not a pre-requisite to good design. These logos suck because the clients suck. They crowd-source the design, approve by committee, and homogenizecthe designs to please focus groups. Basically the only outrage they can handle is that the logos are boring. They go out of their way to avoid anything disruptive.