Redskins listening to offers on # 2

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001110240/article/nfl-draft-buzz-redskins-receiving-calls-on-no-2-pick

NFL draft buzz: Redskins receiving calls on No. 2 pick

Print
  • 0ap3000000923721.jpg
  • By Nick Shook
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: April 21, 2020 at 08:20 a.m.
  • Updated: April 21, 2020 at 11:37 a.m.

Perhaps the top two picks aren't as guaranteed as we thought.

The Washington Redskins have begun to receive calls from teams interested in trading up to No. 2 in Thursday's first round of the NFL Draft, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported. They aren't intent on moving out of the pick, but Washington is listening, Rapoport added.

The first pick is all but guaranteed to be LSU quarterback Joe Burrow, and most everyone believes Ohio State defensive end Chase Young will go to Washington at No. 2, so this development piques interest. They seem like the two no-brainer selections in a draft filled with premier talent. With Cincinnati's need for a new franchise quarterback and with Young existing as the best player in college football who didn't win the Heisman Trophy, these two shouldn't take much brain power.

At least, that's what the thought has been.

We're in peak smokescreen season right now, and this could be just that. This is the same team that saw its new coach speak effusively about Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa earlier this offseason despite having drafted Dwayne Haskins in the first round of last year's draft. Ron Rivera's comments sparked a new belief that the Redskins might follow in the footsteps of the Cardinals and select a quarterback in the first round two years in a row, something that lasted in the national conversation for a healthy amount of time before eventually dying down.

A day after Rapoport and NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported the New York Giants (picking No. 4 overall) are open to trading out of their spot, and four days after Lions general manager Bob Quinn told reporters he's taking calls on the No. 3 overall pick, Washington appears to have joined the fray. While the important details don't indicate the Redskins are as aggressive in considering trade offers, the fact they're listening only adds further intrigue to what is setting up to be a wild first round.

Most everyone wants to make a move, it seems. Here's to hoping they all have as many phones as John Lynch.

NFL.com will keep you updated on the latest 2020 NFL Draft buzz, rumors and reports in the days leading up to Thursday's Round 1. Here's what else we're monitoring Tuesday:

»  Tua Tagovailoa is one of the draft's biggest question marks, but his college coach recently made a personal analogy for what could happen if a team passes on the Alabama star in this week's draft.

Nick Saban reminded the Wall Street Journal this week that he was head coach of the Miami Dolphins when they passed on Drew Brees in free agency.

"We failed Drew Brees on the physical," Saban said. "That's why he's not Miami's quarterback."

Saban did his best to quell any concerns about Tagovailoa's surgically repaired hip. "The skyâs the limit," he said. "I don't think any of the questions with Tua have to do with his ability to throw the ball and be effective."

For more on Tua's arduous path to the 2020 NFL Draft read Steve Wyche's Back 2 Campus feature right here.

• Upvote 1

If the Redskins are getting calls about #2, it means that a team is really serious about getting their quarterback. I imagine teams will have to give up a whole lot more to get to #2 than they would to #3 - not only because it's obviously a more valuable pick but it requires the Redskins to move off of Young.

Presumably the two teams most interested in moving up are Miami and the Chargers. Either of those teams moves to #6 and the Lions could potentially still get their guy or at least are assured someone in that clump of tier two defenders - Okudah, Simmons, Brown - they've been rumored to like them all. If the Giants' go OL at #4 then the Lions get draft capital and the guy they want - and at a cheaper draft slot. If it's the Chargers, sounds like Dolphins are going offense too. Win-win.

Redskins moving down, on the other hand, means Young falls to the Lions and the drop from Young to whoever the Redskins would take at #5 or #6 is far more dramatic.

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Assuming they go chalk, but Haskins is terrible and Young is far from a sure thing.

On a Redskins message board far far away... familiar excuses are being made as to why Haskins hasn't gotten an opportunity to succeed.

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Been saying Tua to the Redskins for a minute now. I bet Riviera gets his guy instead of pinning his job to Haskins.

I feel like this hasn’t been talked about enough, add in the fact they said this year mocks have never been so wrong 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I feel like this hasn’t been talked about enough, add in the fact they said this year mocks have never been so wrong 

If they didn’t see enough out of Haskins. (Which i don’t believe they did) then it makes total sense to take the gamble on a guy who could of been the #1 overall pick if it hadn’t been for the injury concerns or Burrow having one of the best seasons a college QB has ever had. Tua is a great choice to me if you can pivot and build around him as soon as you pick him. 
CCDACB67-60B3-446F-B557-E7990BB3D003.jpeg

I understand he didn’t start the entire year but I don’t love these surface stats at all

Just take Chase Young 

I don't Haskins is a bad QB. I just think he wasn't ready to start. He's raw and needs development. He showed flashes he can be a good QB. Stick with him, fix his mechanics a little bit, and he should be better as he gets more experience. 

Unfortunately we're in the era where QBs can't develop and are expected to be good right out the gate, which isn't fair to alot of QBs that need more time to develop, in a league that's as impatient as ever

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Who tells everyone that they're listening to phone calls for the second overall pick? This is a BS smoke screen. If they're getting phone calls then just do your business and trade out already.

Yep.  It's either "Look at me"  or "For the love of God, please help me trade back, we're desperate".

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Yep.  It's either "Look at me"  or "For the love of God, please help me trade back, we're desperate".

I don't think anything that happens ahead of us affects us in any way. We draft a LT, WR or trade back, pretty simple. Who it will be? Well that's the only question unanswered. 

Anyway you do these mocks a good player is staring us in the face! I think Lamb, Jeudy & Ruggs will all be studs. 

Interesting take on Tua's health from David Chao, who is about as tuned into this stuff as anyone could be.

Bottom line is he doesn't agree with the 'injury prone' label and also doesn't believe the injuries Tua has suffered will impair him as a player going forward.  I would put more stock in this than in what most of the so-called pundits are claiming they have heard from their 'sources'.

And when healthy, we know this dude can ball.  We could be rooting hard for MIA to draft him, only to have him turn into another Marino for all we know.  

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Interesting take on Tua's health from David Chao, who is about as tuned into this stuff as anyone could be.

Bottom line is he doesn't agree with the 'injury prone' label and also doesn't believe the injuries Tua has suffered will impair him as a player going forward.  I would put more stock in this than in what most of the so-called pundits are claiming they have heard from their 'sources'.

And when healthy, we know this dude can ball.  We could be rooting hard for MIA to draft him, only to have him turn into another Marino for all we know.  

Tua’s already had two major injures one of which us career threatening 

Do the math

32 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Tua’s already had two major injures one of which us career threatening 

Do the math

So you are putting your math above that of a former team doc with decades of experience working with injured athletes.  

Got it.

• Haha 1