Gronk wants to play for Tampa

24 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Now is the time to trade with Tampa!

Jamal for OJ Howard and their 1st round pick.

Win-Win

We are set at TE. Anyone who watched the Jets in 2018 saw Herndon make impact plays, and in 2019 Griffin was even better than him. Plus we drafted Wesco last year.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TNJet said:

We are set at TE. Anyone who watched the Jets in 2018 saw Herndon make impact plays, and in 2019 Griffin was even better than him. Plus we drafted Wesco last year.

I am NOT convinced and I wouldn't call us "set" at TE.  I would take OJ Howard over Herndon most likely.  But that's not the question.  We don't even know what Herndon's health is.  OJ needs a change of scenery and I think his talent has been largely neglected by a stubborn coach.  How in the world can you be so confident between Herndon's compound injuries and his DWI...  "potential" is a hard thing to quantify.  But risk is easy to see and Ithink a lot of Jets fans flat out ignore Herndon's risks. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Do we really need to trade for a F'n TE?

I wasn't really serious...  come on McCock.. you're better than that.  Just trying to transform it into an Adams thread actually.  We don't NEED to trade for one.  But we could.  And it could help reduce the negative consequences of the Herndon risk factor list, which is longer than I like.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I am NOT convinced and I wouldn't call us "set" at TE.  I would take OJ Howard over Herndon most likely.  But that's not the question.  We don't even know what Herndon's health is.  OJ needs a change of scenery and I think his talent has been largely neglected by a stubborn coach.  How in the world can you be so confident between Herndon's compound injuries and his DWI...  "potential" is a hard thing to quantify.  But risk is easy to see and Ithink a lot of Jets fans flat out ignore Herndon's risks. 

But you are convinced in OJ? Arians is a stubborn coach but Gase isn't? Interesting.

15 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Ehhhhhh lol. I WANT to be sold on Herndon but he is coming up short so far. Year 3 he needs to make it the whole season and produce. 

41 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Herndon is a better receiver than Griffin but Griffin did show chemistry with Sam

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

5:18pm: Gronk has passed his physical and the deal is now official, per Adam Schefter of ESPN.com (via Twitter). Greg Auman of The Athletic tweets that the fourth-rounder Tampa is giving up is the No. 139 overall selection, which is a compensatory pick. The Bucs still have their own fourth-rounder, No. 117 overall.

Lots of steroids and HGH

38 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Ehhhhhh lol. I WANT to be sold on Herndon but he is coming up short so far. Year 3 he needs to make it the whole season and produce. 

Mostly because of his off the field garbage. On the field he looked like our best TE since Keller.

5 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Mostly because of his off the field garbage. On the field he looked like our best TE since Keller.

Yeah for sure, I agree with that. But he has only made the field 50% of his career so far. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

Yeah for sure, I agree with that. But he has only made the field 50% of his career so far. 

You got me there. I actually prefer Griffin. If he can do what he did last year again, Herndon won't be missed.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Film football, get caught, trade retired player for a fourth round pick? Haha, unreal. 

It really makes you wonder if Goodell actually serves any other purpose other than having some owner's hand up his ass... directing him like a muppet. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TNJet said:

But you are convinced in OJ? Arians is a stubborn coach but Gase isn't? Interesting.

convinced?  Nope.  Moreso than Herndon?  Absolutely.  I wasn't talking about Gase.  Gase could love Howard.  Or not.  Same risk with any player so it's irrelevant.  But it is a fact that the coach did not like Howard. Just like Gase with Drake.  Whether or not he does that with Howard is unknown. But Arians doing that to Howard is known. 

I might be out of it in terms of rumors even though I’ve been watching parts of draft shows etc. Maybe some of the reporters are too. We’re all somewhat disconnected. But this deal came as a big surprise at least to me it did. I thought Gronk wanted to go into the WWE or something?.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001110443/article/battista-with-gronkbrady-reunion-bucs-aiming-for-super-bowl

Battista: With Gronk-Brady reunion, Bucs aiming for Super Bowl

• 0ap1000000234885.jpg
  • By Judy Battista
  • NFL.com reporter
  • Published: April 21, 2020 at 08:31 p.m.
  • Updated: April 21, 2020 at 08:40 p.m.

It was a few days before what would be Rob Gronkowski's last game before his retirement when he revealed the toll the game had on him. He spoke unsmilingly of the hits, and the pain they inflicted on every part of his body, including his mind. It was a sobering look behind the curtain at a player who once exclaimed "Yo Soy Fiesta!"

A year later, on Tuesday, with his body healed and his mind cleared, Gronkowski gave us a little more clarity on what more was going on in his head all along. It wasn't just that football had worn him down. Football in New England wore him down.

That, of course, is also the Tom Brady story. And after Gronkowski came out of retirement Tuesday and told the Patriots he wanted to be traded so he could play again with Brady, the erstwhile Patriots will be reunited and refreshed in Tampa for a late-stage run at post-Belichick championships. With one stroke, Gronk got his quarterback and Brady got his guy. The trade immediately provided Brady a security blanket as he adjusts -- perhaps without the benefit of offseason work -- to a new team and a new offense. And the Bucs got a big dose of toughness and the culture that, before Tuesday, Brady was going to have to import by himself. And fans got back one of the most joyful players in NFL history.

The offense in Tampa is likely to look much more familiar now, if turned up several notches with a level of talent among his weapons that Brady did not enjoy last season. Gronkowski's body had broken down in New England, and the offense often ceased to function properly without him, although he put on a blocking and receiving tour de force performance in the playoffs that led up to the Patriots' final Super Bowl victory with Brady. Gronkowski clearly loved retirement. He popped up at parties and television sets and wrestling rings, a slimmed down advertisement for not getting hit.

Gronkowski has not played 16 games since 2011 and at the end in New England, it was painful to watch him, diminished, try to play. But a year off, with the attendant weight loss and dabbling in pro wrestling, should be the balm Gronkowski's aching back and other assorted bruises needed. Gronkowski will have to put back a lot of weight to be able to resume his play-with-abandon style. But he will be just 31 years old whenever the NFL season begins, and if he can keep his body intact, especially with a reduced workload that Tampa can provide, he should certainly be able to play at least the two years that Brady will be in Tampa.

Gronkowski will surely be Brady's preferred target, that steamroller bounding down the seam like a Golden Retriever chasing a Frisbee, a matchup nightmare for defenses. Gronkowski is arguably the best tight end to have ever played the game and he comes with the added bonus of being able to help Brady explain what he wants from the other players on the offense, and to deliver the message that Brady demands full buy-in and will ignore anybody who is not on the same page. Those other players are already of a better caliber, in totality, than Brady has had in New England. Mike Evans and Chris Godwin are premiere receivers. Bruce Arians is a mad scientist of offense. It is clear, in adding Gronkowski, that the Bucs did not sign Brady merely to boost ticket sales and maybe win a few more games. They are trying to win a Super Bowl.

With the Saints and Falcons also in the division, the NFC South is one of the most difficult divisions in the NFL. But the presumed ascension of the Bucs is not far-fetched. They went 7-9 last season, in Arians' first in charge, after losing two games in overtime and with a quarterback who threw 30 interceptions. They led the league in passing yards and were third in points scored. Now they add the tight end who, when he played between 2010 and 2018, led the league in receiving touchdowns with 79 touchdowns.

What this says about New England is something else, and probably a topic more fully explored another day. In walking away in a quest for refreshment, Brady and Gronkowski may have most wanted to get away from Bill Belichick. That's fine for all parties. But in acquiring both players, the Bucs hope they are also acquiring the championship culture that Belichick built and Brady and Gronkowski executed. Belichick will figure something out for next season. The Bucs already have. Gronkowki said he was a party. Now, the celebration is most certainly headed to Tampa.