Douglas Interview (ESPN Radio)

KRL

JD is pretty much a straight shooter until he shows me otherwise. I like this guy, a lot.

His comments about offensive linemen leads me to believe that Becton might not be in his top 4. He is exactly the type of OL that he would've over-evaluated in his younger days.

Joe Douglas says Jamal Adams 'a big reason' he joined Jets

'I feel this guy is a core player'

By Scott Thompson 

Dec 29, 2019; Orchard Park, New York, USA; New York Jets strong safety Jamal Adams (33) warms up prior to the game against the Buffalo Bills at New Era Field. Mandatory Credit: Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports (Rich Barnes)

Though the NFL Draft is two days away, Jets GM Joe Douglas continues to be peppered with Jamal Adams questions leading up to it. And that continued with Bart Scott and Alan Hahn on ESPN 98.7 Tuesday. 

On Monday, Douglas addressed Adams and his reported desire to not want to participate in the team's voluntary offseason program with the Jets due to extension talks not going on at the moment. But his answers to Scott and Hahn's question on Tuesday showed even more praise from the new GM. 

"He was a big reason I was excited about coming here," Douglas said, per Rich Cimini. "I feel this guy is a core player. ...The main goal that I'm trying to do right now is to surround him with like-minded players, because we know Jamal is a dog. We have to surround him with guys that play as hard as he does, that love football as much as he does and can match his intensity."

Douglas also told SNY's Jeane Coakley that his feelings of Adams being a "Jet for life" haven't changed.

Douglas might not have ruled out trading Adams, saying "I've also made it known I have to do what's in the best interests of this team," but the best interests seem to be building around their former first-rounder after these latest comments. 

Adams has said in the past that the Jets need some more "dogs" on the roster, and Douglas recognizes that he must get that done as ex-GM Mike Maccagnan didn't really do much on that front. Yes, C.J. Mosley was brought in and he was expected to be a force up the middle for Adams to work alongside before his groin injury in Week 1. But other than that, the Jets are still looking for those types of players. 

If Douglas is trying to find ones that match Adams' intensity, that's going to be a tough task. There aren't many in this league that play as hard as Adams every Sunday, but that alone makes players around him give 110 percent like he does on gameday.

For Adams, comments like these from Douglas should come as a sign that his GM truly wants to keep him around. Douglas did say, though, that there isn't "a set timetable" on getting an extension done. 

SNY's Ralph Vacchiano reported earlier this month that Adams probably wouldn't be extended this offseason because the team has control over him through the 2023 season due to his fifth-year option and potential franchise tags. 

6 hours ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

Or it could be media and fans trying to get a story to stick with no facts behind it. JD has been pretty up front about his plan for the team. I have no idea where this actively shopping Jamal story comes from? I guess people are just attached to the drama, this is why players don't come here tho stop trying to find a story where there is none. Unless given an insane offer Jamal isn't going on anywhere. It's really not more complicated then that.

Except it really IS more complicated than that. Signing Jamal to a long term contract is not a simple exercise. Douglas is not just going to pay Jamal whatever he wants. He is disciplined and will stick to a number. Jamal thinks he has the same impact of a Donald. He wants to be paid in that ballpark. At the minimum he will want $17 or $18 million a year. Jets may only want to pay slightly more than the highest current safety which is around $15 million. Maybe not even that. So there is no guarantee a long term contract happens.

So the Jets can just let the contract play out, but Jamal will be Mevi$ 2.0 in that scenario. He has already started with sitting out the virtual workouts. I doubt the Jets pay him what he wants so is it better to deal with the headache for a couple more years or trade him now?

• Upvote 1