football guy

2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Rumors and Reports

Readable, informative, good use of bolding and bullet points.
I give this OP one upvote. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Welcome to the board. Good info to chew on. Can’t wait for tomorrow night!

A few things to consider on draft eve: 

• The Jets want to make a trade to acquire more picks. Where it happens, unsure, but Douglas has made it clear that he feels the draft can go from good to great in day 3. He's going to want to get as many swings as possible. If all 4 of the "top OTs" go in the top 10, I think he'll find a team that wants to trade up for a WR. If he can't find a team to trade, I would imagine he goes with Henry Ruggs. But know this: Douglas is looking to acquire more picks, so anything is possible on draft day. One thing to consider regarding the OTs: there may be information that we don't know about (injury) that could swing the Jets decision one way or another. Otherwise, I think that's the clear selection if one of the 4 is available. 
  • Four programs that the Jets front office have deep ties with: Notre Dame, Alabama, Penn State, Louisiana Tech. Whether we see it come to fruition in the form of players drafted from those teams on draft day is unclear, but the front office certainly has deep ties with those programs. 
  • The Jets front office often selects players from the PAC12. I'm not saying this will occur on draft day, but it's something to look out for. All our top execs have a deep history scouting the PAC12 conference, just not from a specific program. 
  • Joe Douglas will draft guys from small school programs. Douglas has always done this, but I think he'll especially take advantage this year. With the lack of pro days and whatnot, he'll take advantage of value as teams opt to select player's from bigger programs where more info is plentiful. He'll rely on the tape. 

Thanks for the welcome gentlemen. I was on footballsfuture for a long time, but got really tired of the content/people in the Jets forum over there. 

I tend to write long, drawn out posts related to the Jets. I'm big on reading the breadcrumbs, dot connecting, and I'm fortunate enough to have a few friends and family members who work in the industry. Always a great source of information. 

The big name to keep an eye on is Austin Jackson. I don't think the Jets will take him, but they like him. He may be the panic scenario with our 1st round pick if all OTs are off the board and the Jets trade down. My cousin has a link in the USC program and they told her back in March that he has some teams that really loved him in the top 15. Since then, noteworthy draft analysts have been saying the same.

Personally, I think Joe Douglas has a post-it with Mekhi Becton No Matter What in his pocket. His press conferences and media run have kind of alluded to it when he dismissed the drug violation as not being something that would change their opinion of a player since they trust their background work, and also dropped a very interesting quote in which he said:

"I think what sometimes can be perceived as a risky decision, internally may not be perceived as a risky decision because we’ve gone through the process, we’ve gone through the evaluation, we’ve done our homework... I guess, there’s an old saying ‘Scared money doesn’t make money.’ You can’t be afraid to take your shots but it’s got to be a calculated shot. You just can’t walk blindly into a high-risk decision. You have to back it up with a lot conversations, a lot of you know, with a lot of people that you trust. So I think we’re not going to be afraid to make an ‘unconventional decision’ or risky decisions. But for us, it’s not going to be risky because we’re going through the process.” 

There are not many Becton's that walk this earth. There are very few people who have played tackle in the NFL with his kind of size:  Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Brown Sr., Bryant McKinnie, Trent Brown, and Orlando Brown Jr.  Interestingly enough, 4-of-5 of these guys were former Baltimore Ravens. Daniel Jeremiah (former Raven scout) is the lone draft analyst who has Becton as his top offensive tackle in the class. Maybe something, maybe nothing. Being said, Ozzie Newsome comes from the Belichick/Parcells tree, and they always diverted back to "Planet Theory": there are not many big men that can move on this planet, so when you find them, you take them. Some may perceive it as a risk because (1) Becton has a frame - albeit only 17% body fat at 364 - where he could easily balloon to 400+ if he doesn't keep his weight in check; (2) there's an increased worry for injury with men his size; and (3) he's a little more raw technically then the other top tackles and with the lack of an offseason, you worry how ready he will be day 1. All being said, I think Joe Douglas has a gold star next to his name. He's the mecca of OL prospects for Douglas: he has elite size, elite athleticism, elite power. The Jets can plug him in on either side and he immediately becomes our best run blocker day 1. He's a finisher with a mean streak, plays hard, and has a good football IQ (especially in the run game). He has some technical work, but the talent is undeniable. When he's on the field, he always works hard and gives effort. He's also a high character guy. The biggest question - and a valid one - is his commitment when he's off-the-field. Is he going to eat right and keep the weight off?

With the Jets newfound focus on sports science and their meal prep program, I think they can avoid a potential problem by being on the guy 24/7 to make sure he's eating right (at least in his younger years) and make it clear that they want him to be playing in the 350 range. If Becton buys in, he'll be a franchise player. 

I'm hoping the Jets land Becton tonight, but this is the most unpredictable draft I can remember given what's going on in the world right now. Most excited I've been for a draft ever. Cheers everyone and enjoy. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, football guy said:

A few things to consider on draft eve: 

• The Jets want to make a trade to acquire more picks. Where it happens, unsure, but Douglas has made it clear that he feels the draft can go from good to great in day 3. He's going to want to get as many swings as possible. If all 4 of the "top OTs" go in the top 10, I think he'll find a team that wants to trade up for a WR. If he can't find a team to trade, I would imagine he goes with Henry Ruggs. But know this: Douglas is looking to acquire more picks, so anything is possible on draft day. One thing to consider regarding the OTs: there may be information that we don't know about (injury) that could swing the Jets decision one way or another. Otherwise, I think that's the clear selection if one of the 4 is available. 
  • Four programs that the Jets front office have deep ties with: Notre Dame, Alabama, Penn State, Louisiana Tech. Whether we see it come to fruition in the form of players drafted from those teams on draft day is unclear, but the front office certainly has deep ties with those programs. 
  • The Jets front office often selects players from the PAC12. I'm not saying this will occur on draft day, but it's something to look out for. All our top execs have a deep history scouting the PAC12 conference, just not from a specific program. 
  • Joe Douglas will draft guys from small school programs. Douglas has always done this, but I think he'll especially take advantage this year. With the lack of pro days and whatnot, he'll take advantage of value as teams opt to select player's from bigger programs where more info is plentiful. He'll rely on the tape. 

This is solid content. I approve.

Rank me your WRs. 

It's been a really long time since I've been on this or any other JETS board.

I'm hopeful for CeeDee Lamb at #11. My thinking is because the Jets have attempted to make the OL better already in Free Agency with four completely new guys in the OL room. Sure we can still get better and draft the next best  available LT at #11, but that said maybe Lamb is the target.

Lets score some freaking POINTS!!!

But those working the draft are a lot smarter than I am with this sort of thing......LOL.

Go JETS

Becton is an interesting prospect.  He is definitely a bigger tackle than we are used to seeing but he is what will be pretty common among future offensive linemen.  

https://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-offensive-lineman-are-big-2011-10#2000s-bryan-stork-c-new-england-patriots-9

Average lineman size by decade:

• 1920s: 6'0" 211
  • 1930s/40s: 6'1" 220
  • 1950s: 6'2" 234
  • 1960s/70s: 6'3" 251
  • 1980s/90s/00s: 6'4" 270-313
  • 2015: 6'5" 312

Compare that to high school prospects coming into college:

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&Position=OT

In the top ten, 2 are 6'5", 3 are 6'6", 3 6'7", 2 are 6'8".  They will all put on weight throughout their college career but the offensive lineman in the NFL are going to get bigger and bigger.  There was an article the other day talking about a high school junior who is 6'6" 330, runs a 4.92 40, and id 26 reps at bench. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2885702-the-mountain-is-coming-to-college-football

Becton is just one of the first.  If he didn't have the size, would he still be considered a top tackle based on experience, skills, technical ability?  I am not saying he doesn't but that is the question evaluators must ask themselves. Using Becton's size and athleticism as a justification for his potential is a challenge for evaluators.  As more and more linemen enter the draft in the upcoming years with "rare" size and athleticism, it'll be harder to separate out the highly graded skilled linemen vs linemen that are highly graded due to their size and athleticism potential.  Prospects in the NFL, not only linemen, are getting bigger, faster and stronger.  Seems like every year some combine record gets broken.  When looking at these prospects, evaluators need to be careful to understand how much emphasis they put in these prospects that may be "rare" today but common in tomorrow's NFL.

7 hours ago, football guy said:

Thanks for the welcome gentlemen. I was on footballsfuture for a long time, but got really tired of the content/people in the Jets forum over there. 

I tend to write long, drawn out posts related to the Jets. I'm big on reading the breadcrumbs, dot connecting, and I'm fortunate enough to have a few friends and family members who work in the industry. Always a great source of information. 

The big name to keep an eye on is Austin Jackson. I don't think the Jets will take him, but they like him. He may be the panic scenario with our 1st round pick if all OTs are off the board and the Jets trade down. My cousin has a link in the USC program and they told her back in March that he has some teams that really loved him in the top 15. Since then, noteworthy draft analysts have been saying the same.

Personally, I think Joe Douglas has a post-it with Mekhi Becton No Matter What in his pocket. His press conferences and media run have kind of alluded to it when he dismissed the drug violation as not being something that would change their opinion of a player since they trust their background work, and also dropped a very interesting quote in which he said:

There are not many Becton's that walk this earth. There are very few people who have played tackle in the NFL with his kind of size:  Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Brown Sr., Bryant McKinnie, Trent Brown, and Orlando Brown Jr.  Interestingly enough, 4-of-5 of these guys were former Baltimore Ravens. Daniel Jeremiah (former Raven scout) is the lone draft analyst who has Becton as his top offensive tackle in the class. Maybe something, maybe nothing. Being said, Ozzie Newsome comes from the Belichick/Parcells tree, and they always diverted back to "Planet Theory": there are not many big men that can move on this planet, so when you find them, you take them. Some may perceive it as a risk because (1) Becton has a frame - albeit only 17% body fat at 364 - where he could easily balloon to 400+ if he doesn't keep his weight in check; (2) there's an increased worry for injury with men his size; and (3) he's a little more raw technically then the other top tackles and with the lack of an offseason, you worry how ready he will be day 1. All being said, I think Joe Douglas has a gold star next to his name. He's the mecca of OL prospects for Douglas: he has elite size, elite athleticism, elite power. The Jets can plug him in on either side and he immediately becomes our best run blocker day 1. He's a finisher with a mean streak, plays hard, and has a good football IQ (especially in the run game). He has some technical work, but the talent is undeniable. When he's on the field, he always works hard and gives effort. He's also a high character guy. The biggest question - and a valid one - is his commitment when he's off-the-field. Is he going to eat right and keep the weight off?

With the Jets newfound focus on sports science and their meal prep program, I think they can avoid a potential problem by being on the guy 24/7 to make sure he's eating right (at least in his younger years) and make it clear that they want him to be playing in the 350 range. If Becton buys in, he'll be a franchise player. 

I'm hoping the Jets land Becton tonight, but this is the most unpredictable draft I can remember given what's going on in the world right now. Most excited I've been for a draft ever. Cheers everyone and enjoy. 

I think Becton will be the pick as well and the reason being exactly what you are talking about, the fact that JD has a different way of thinking about prospects, he won't be afraid to take someone like this because of the immense upside (guys like this simply don't come around very often). I think teams will be scared away and he falls b/c he is raw, due to the weight and the failed drug test. Of the top 4 I think Becton is most likely to fall to the Jets at 11. And I think JD will take him if he is there. 

I think Becton will start off at RT and straight up take the spot away from Edoga, barring serious struggles in pass protection, b/c in the run game he is an immediate upgrade.   

20 hours ago, Paradis said:

This is solid content. I approve.

Rank me your WRs. 

Who I want? Higgins. Who I think the Jets will take? Shenault or Hamler. 

Hamler is intriguing. We all saw how Marquise Brown worked out for Baltimore last year, and Hamler is pretty much a carbon copy expect with worse hands. Like Brown he played most of his snaps out of the slot in college, but he'd be a movement Z in the Jets offense. From what I understand Gase really likes him. Also, keep in mind that size is not a major evaluation factor for Gase. He had Albert Wilson, Jakeem Grant, Kenny Stills, and Danny Amendola in Miami and in fact, he used 5'7 Grant at the X at times. Not saying that is smart, but he'll be on board adding a guy like Hamler who brings the kind of speed we're looking for. Also: he has the same agent as Douglas/Gase/Darnold. 

Ideally I would prefer double-dipping at WR and wait until round 2 for Hamler. If he's not there, so be it. But as far as my preference: 

Tier 1 (dream round 2) 

• Tee Higgins - I can care less about the timed drills- the guy is an athlete. I love his style and I think having a "yolo" receiver that can go up and body out the opponents who catches EVERYTHING would be great for Darnold. He's not fast, but he's quick for a guy his size and good after the catch. 

Tier 2 (solid round 2) 

• Michael Pittman - It really all comes down to flavor here. I think Pittman is very much like Tee Higgins, but wasn't under the spotlight that was WR-U in Clemson. Tested better, and may be better than Higgins, but I'm just going off what I see and feel. Higgins has the edge. 
  • Laviska Shenault - totally different type of receiver with significant bust potential, but if there's one thing Adam Gase is good at its coaching receivers. He clashed with DeVante Parker, but otherwise he got the most out of some big name receivers before they became household names. Shenault is very similar to Demaryius Thomas coming out. Very raw. Wasn't used in a traditional way. Not a nuanced route runner. But get the ball in his hands... my god. His stop/go and change of direction ability is elite. He's the type of player the Jets take and slowly bring him on, but has Demaryius Thomas-like potential. He could very well fall because of COVID since teams have to consider that there won't be an offseason and the injuries are scary.

Tier 3 (hopefully round 3, understand if round 2) 

• KJ Hamler - Don't get me wrong, just because we're in "Tier 3" doesn't mean I think low of these guys. Any other draft the Tier 1-2 guys would be 1st round picks IMO, it just so happens this is the deepest WR class ever. I spoke about Hamler above and while I'm not crazy about his size, I think he'd be a fit in the offense. His hands scare me the most- he needs to work on his catching technique and has focus drops. Ideally, he'd be our pick at 68 but wouldn't complain if they took him in round 2 because I know he fits in the scheme. 
  • Van Jefferson - If you want to take a safe player who has a high floor, it's Jefferson. He's an old prospect (24), but he's extremely pro-ready and I think he'd come in and start immediately. Given the state of the world right now, there's significant value to that. I don't buy that he has a low ceiling- I think he has Chad Johnson ability. He's an insane route runner, is fast, runs well, and has an insane football IQ. It would also be pretty cool to pair him with his dad (our WR coach). I think he could go much earlier than people think. 
  • Denzel Mims - I'm not nearly as high on him as everyone else is. I get serious Stephen Hill vibes. Maybe he won't be a poor character off the field the way Hill turned out to be, but anytime you have a receiver who has that crazy elite athleticism yet clearly doesn't play that fast, you have to second guess. 
  • Lynn Bowden - I know this would shock many, but I think he's going to be a player in the NFL. He's another former Gase receiver, Albert Wilson, but he has more size and more skill. He needs some work, but he can be a legit weapon. You can't teach his quickness and his YAC potential is insane. I love how he's scrappy and looks to initiate contact. I think he's more of a 3rd round pick, but could see him as a "WTF" pick that actually makes sense. 

Just outside these guys who I think are worth selecting at 79/120: Bryan Edwards, John Hightower, Devin Duvernay, Quez Watkins

I didn't include Chase Claypool because I think he's more of a TE. If we were tiering TEs as pass catchers with this group, he'd be there in Tier 3. 

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Who I want? Higgins. Who I think the Jets will take? Shenault or Hamler. 

Hamler is intriguing. We all saw how Marquise Brown worked out for Baltimore last year, and Hamler is pretty much a carbon copy expect with worse hands. Like Brown he played most of his snaps out of the slot in college, but he'd be a movement Z in the Jets offense. From what I understand Gase really likes him. Also, keep in mind that size is not a major evaluation factor for Gase. He had Albert Wilson, Jakeem Grant, Kenny Stills, and Danny Amendola in Miami and in fact, he used 5'7 Grant at the X at times. Not saying that is smart, but he'll be on board adding a guy like Hamler who brings the kind of speed we're looking for. Also: he has the same agent as Douglas/Gase/Darnold. 

Ideally I would prefer double-dipping at WR and wait until round 2 for Hamler. If he's not there, so be it. But as far as my preference: 

Tier 1 (dream round 2) 

• Tee Higgins - I can care less about the timed drills- the guy is an athlete. I love his style and I think having a "yolo" receiver that can go up and body out the opponents who catches EVERYTHING would be great for Darnold. He's not fast, but he's quick for a guy his size and good after the catch. 

Tier 2 (solid round 2) 

• Michael Pittman - It really all comes down to flavor here. I think Pittman is very much like Tee Higgins, but wasn't under the spotlight that was WR-U in Clemson. Tested better, and may be better than Higgins, but I'm just going off what I see and feel. Higgins has the edge. 
  • Laviska Shenault - totally different type of receiver with significant bust potential, but if there's one thing Adam Gase is good at its coaching receivers. He clashed with DeVante Parker, but otherwise he got the most out of some big name receivers before they became household names. Shenault is very similar to Demaryius Thomas coming out. Very raw. Wasn't used in a traditional way. Not a nuanced route runner. But get the ball in his hands... my god. His stop/go and change of direction ability is elite. He's the type of player the Jets take and slowly bring him on, but has Demaryius Thomas-like potential. He could very well fall because of COVID since teams have to consider that there won't be an offseason and the injuries are scary.

Tier 3 (hopefully round 3, understand if round 2) 

• KJ Hamler - Don't get me wrong, just because we're in "Tier 3" doesn't mean I think low of these guys. Any other draft the Tier 1-2 guys would be 1st round picks IMO, it just so happens this is the deepest WR class ever. I spoke about Hamler above and while I'm not crazy about his size, I think he'd be a fit in the offense. His hands scare me the most- he needs to work on his catching technique and has focus drops. Ideally, he'd be our pick at 68 but wouldn't complain if they took him in round 2 because I know he fits in the scheme. 
  • Van Jefferson - If you want to take a safe player who has a high floor, it's Jefferson. He's an old prospect (24), but he's extremely pro-ready and I think he'd come in and start immediately. Given the state of the world right now, there's significant value to that. I don't buy that he has a low ceiling- I think he has Chad Johnson ability. He's an insane route runner, is fast, runs well, and has an insane football IQ. It would also be pretty cool to pair him with his dad (our WR coach). I think he could go much earlier than people think. 
  • Denzel Mims - I'm not nearly as high on him as everyone else is. I get serious Stephen Hill vibes. Maybe he won't be a poor character off the field the way Hill turned out to be, but anytime you have a receiver who has that crazy elite athleticism yet clearly doesn't play that fast, you have to second guess. 
  • Lynn Bowden - I know this would shock many, but I think he's going to be a player in the NFL. He's another former Gase receiver, Albert Wilson, but he has more size and more skill. He needs some work, but he can be a legit weapon. You can't teach his quickness and his YAC potential is insane. I love how he's scrappy and looks to initiate contact. I think he's more of a 3rd round pick, but could see him as a "WTF" pick that actually makes sense. 

Just outside these guys who I think are worth selecting at 79/120: Bryan Edwards, John Hightower, Devin Duvernay, Quez Watkins

I didn't include Chase Claypool because I think he's more of a TE. If we were tiering TEs as pass catchers with this group, he'd be there in Tier 3. 

nice little write up. You know your jam...

Im going to be more optimistic regarding Higgins. The scenario of Shenault and Hamler is my worst nightmare. I think we'll wind up with Higgins/Pittman... gotta believe that getting someone on the perimeter is a priority.... I'm not sure Shenault isn't a better fit at Hback or something. Think he'll struggle with filling out all the needs of a true "X" and "Z"

I think I would be more excited about Higgins if it wasn’t so obvious he wasn’t the best WR at Clemson. Right now for me it’s all Mims, Pittman left in tier 1 of WR

4 hours ago, cant wait said:

I think I would be more excited about Higgins if it wasn’t so obvious he wasn’t the best WR at Clemson. Right now for me it’s all Mims, Pittman left in tier 1 of WR

I think Higgins is so legit. He may not be a prototype fit for this offense but I believe he's the type of player you scheme around. Very Brandon Marshall-like. AJ Green is a popular comparison too, although that's pushing it.

I understand having some issue that he wasn't the best receiver on his team, but was Hollywood Brown (CeeDee Lamb)? Justin Jefferson (Ja'Marr Chase)? Jarvis Landry (Odell Beckham)? DK Metcalf (AJ Brown)? Calvin Ridley (Amari Cooper)?...

I think more and more we'll see big programs have multiple elite WRs because of the trickle effect from the NFL- less emphasis on running the ball and more emphasis on throwing it.  

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company