Jets draft history

It’s amazing how one organization can be so bad at the draft for so long. In 1987 they drafted a fullback in the first round. Obviously the Ken O’Brien > Marino, or Kyle Brady > Warren Sapp. Blaire Thomas, Jeff Langerman, Johnny Lamb Jones, Dewayne Robertson, Vernon Gholston, Quinton Coples, Kyle Wilson, Dee Milner, Darron Lee, Calvin Pryor, Mark Sanchez. Just awful picks year after year after year.  I feel like just by the odds we are DUE for a good draft. Let’s hope Joe D KNOCKS it out of the park tomorrow!

• Upvote 1

Darnold was one of my biggest draft day celebrations. I've had threads created while he was @ USC begging for the Jets to lose in order to draft Darnold #1 overall. Me. DWC. Here in 90 homer. Wanting to see my Jets suck for luck I mean suck for Sam. To see Cleveland blunder Mayfield 1st overall was a blessing. We got our kid. 

Jamal getting drafted was one of the most raw emotional moments ever captured on video. The kid cried as the Jets selected him. He was truly, finally; happy. One of my favorite draft moments. 

23 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Or the fact that he brought in no competition for a kicker that couldn’t make a kick in pre  season.  That went on to cost us a week one victory. 

I know cause then we'd be drafting 16 or lower because that one game mattered so much last year. I love to win games as much as the next, but this draft would have been better for us if we were in the top 8.... just my .02 lol

28 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Or the fact that he brought in no competition for a kicker that couldn’t make a kick in pre  season.  That went on to cost us a week one victory. 

Youre still beating the kicker to death?  

He had a K who quit in the last weeks of camp.   

4 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

I know cause then we'd be drafting 16 or lower because that one game mattered so much last year. I love to win games as much as the next, but this draft would have been better for us if we were in the top 8.... just my .02 lol

So, your position is ...

The Jets GM did a good job by not bringing in a better kicker in week 1, when it was clear the one we had was missing from everywhere in pre-season.  And that should be viewed as a positive on his record.  

Because now, after 15 more games - we have a better draft pick?

• Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Youre still beating the kicker to death?  

He had a K who quit in the last weeks of camp.   

Not beating it to death. But people keep talking about what a great job he's done so far.  I just haven't seen.  Not really saying he's done a poor job either.  I just don't have enough information to make that determination.  

But I haven't seen anything to date that tells me he's the guy to turn this thing around.  I'm not saying he isn't or won't be - just that I'm trying to look at facts and not emotion or wishful thinking.  

He's done a few nice things and done a few dumb things.   Let's see, at least one draft, before we anoint him.  That's all I'm trying to say.

I'm very much hoping he is...

2 minutes ago, FlightBoyz said:

The Jets History of Drafting is horrendous. The misses blow away the hits on players selected. Its embarrassing.  ? JD changes things for the better.

The Ken O'Brien's and Jeff Lageman's bother me more than the Blair Thomas's.  Blair Thomas was a consensus top 5 pick prior to the draft. Ken O'Brien & Jeff Lageman were total reaches by an arrogant front office at the time (post Walt Michaels 1980's) that always thought they were smarter than anyone else. 

• Upvote 1

2005 was a low key sh*tshow. The sensible thing to do was to stay put and take Heath Miller. F*cking everyone had us taking Heath Miller. 

But no we had eyes on Doug Jolley and used the pick we got in that deal, our first pick on that draft on a mediocre kicker who could barely hit a 50 yarder.

Good times. At least we got my boy Kerry Rhodes. Bless. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Not beating it to death. But people keep talking about what a great job he's done so far.  I just haven't seen.  Not really saying he's done a poor job either.  I just don't have enough information to make that determination.  

But I haven't seen anything to date that tells me he's the guy to turn this thing around.  I'm not saying he isn't or won't be - just that I'm trying to look at facts and not emotion or wishful thinking.  

He's done a few nice things and done a few dumb things.   Let's see, at least one draft, before we anoint him.  That's all I'm trying to say.

I'm very much hoping he is...

He was on the job how long?  

Macc let Myers go.  Brought in Cantanzaro who was in camp.  Cantanzaro quit at the end.  JD brought in Bertolet or whatever his name was and then replaced him when he was shaky with Vedvik who was traded for by the Vikes for a 5th and was thought of as a hot K prospect.  He failed, happens

He then got Ficken. 

Doesn't prove he is or isnt a GM or that he didnt bring anyone in to K.  Macc left a mess

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

He was on the job how long?  

Macc let Myers go.  Brought in Cantanzaro who was in camp.  Cantanzaro quit at the end.  JD brought in Bertolet or whatever his name was and then replaced him when he was shaky with Vedvik who was traded for by the Vikes for a 5th and was thought of as a hot K prospect.  Se failed, happens

He then got Ficken. 

Doesn't prove he is or isnt a GM

We finally agree on something!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

It’s amazing how one organization can be so bad at the draft for so long. In 1987 they drafted a fullback in the first round. Obviously the Ken O’Brien > Marino, or Kyle Brady > Warren Sapp. Blaire Thomas, Jeff Langerman, Johnny Lamb Jones, Dewayne Robertson, Vernon Gholston, Quinton Coples, Kyle Wilson, Dee Milner, Darron Lee, Calvin Pryor, Mark Sanchez. Just awful picks year after year after year.  I feel like just by the odds we are DUE for a good draft. Let’s hope Joe D KNOCKS it out of the park tomorrow!

While totally correct lets not forget:

Ferguson

Mangold

Revis 

Harris

Ellis

Abraham 

Keller

Cotchery 

Washington 

Greene 

Slauson

Lyons

Klecko

Gastineau 

Jenkins

Keyshawn 

Farrior

Glenn

Mickens

Fabini

Thomas 

Jordan

Moss

Coles

Walker

Clifton

Pennington

Toon.....and many more.

Jets have drafted well enough to kick some azz. Their choices in coaches have been even worse.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

So, your position is ...

The Jets GM did a good job by not bringing in a better kicker in week 1, when it was clear the one we had was missing from everywhere in pre-season.  And that should be viewed as a positive on his record.  

Because now, after 15 more games - we have a better draft pick?

Not saying that... however in the bigger scheme of things did it really matter if he didn't bring one in with the way the team was constructed last year. I don't think I'm going to fault him for that. And yes a better draft pick this year would have served us well.  That's all out the window this year going forward, cause now he's had enough time to construct a better team.

That's all I'm saying :-)

1 minute ago, TNJet said:

While totally correct lets not forget:

Ferguson

Mangold

Revis 

Harris

Ellis

Abraham 

Keller

Cotchery 

Washington 

Greene 

Slauson

Jenkins

Keyshawn 

Farrior

Glenn

Mickens

Fabini

Thomas 

Jordan

Moss

Coles

Walker

Clifton

Pennington

Toon.....and many more.

Jets have drafted well enough to kick some azz. Their choices in coaches have been even worse.

We've got some homegrown building blocks already in place for JDs draft tonight too. 

Jamal Adams. 

Marcus Maye. 

Sam Darnold. 

Chuma Edoga. 

Chris Herndon. 

Jordan Jenkins. 

Quinnen Williams. 

Kyle Phillips. 

Folorunso Fatukasi (Queens). 

Blessuan Austin (Queens).

With some hungry FA Veterans in C.J Mosley, Le'Veon Bell, Avery Williamson and Steve McLendon ready to lead them too. 

(Poole/Burgess/Hewitt/Copeland and Maulet as non drafted talents as well). 

• Upvote 2