A twist to selecting Becton at #11

Alka

Becton is a massive figure and a road grader.  With the more athletic quicker defensive ends in the league, Becton would most definitely struggle at left tackle.

What if the Jets put Becton in a left guard?  The guy is massive and would flourish at that position.  Fant at left tackle, move Lewis to right guard and say goodbye to Winters. Let Lewis and Van Roten fight it out for right guard.

Becton is bigger and stronger than Q. Nelson who the Colts picked up in the top 5 picks of the draft a couple years ago, and the guy is an all-pro.

Becton could possibly be an all-pro at left guard.  Yes, he is not technically sound like Nelson is, but try to run through or around Becton and see what happens.

Becton could then either stay at that position, or possibly develop into a tackle for either the left side or right side down the road.

• Upvote 2

I want whatever leads to us having average line play.  We would all like to call the Darnold evaluation done after this year and know what we have moving forward.

If we are going into year 4 saying the same about no protection, no weapons, no idea..... We're rudderless.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

Sure, put the guy with freakish athletic ability, long arms and movement skills at guard. 

And if he became an all-pro at left guard, then was he worth it?  Remember, you can initially put him at guard, and see if he can develop into a left or right tackle.  At worst, he will be a stud at left guard for the next decade.  At best, he can transition into left or right tackle.  

It's funny to me how people say he could be a bust.  Let's think outside the box, shall we?  I mean, we need to upgrade the offensive line, and if the tackle we want is not there, let's not just throw our hands up and say, "screw the offensive line, let's just take a wide receiver!"

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alka said:

And if he became an all-pro at left guard, then was he worth it?  Remember, you can initially put him at guard, and see if he can develop into a left or right tackle.  At worst, he will be a stud at left guard for the next decade.  At best, he can transition into left or right tackle.  

It's funny to me how people say he could be a bust.  Let's think outside the box, shall we?  I mean, we need to upgrade the offensive line, and if the tackle we want is not there, let's not just throw our hands up and say, "screw the offensive line, let's just take a wide receiver!"

I don’t think he’ll bust. I think he’ll be a very good left tackle. He should be the pick unless the other 3 OTs are available. If he comes in and struggles at tackle then worry about him becoming a guard. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Alka said:

Yes, exactly. You don't waste a high first round pick on a guard, and leave 2 or 3 stud receivers on the board. Pick up a guard later.

• Upvote 1

LG is an option for the first year. But by year 2, he has to be out at tackle. If by year 4, he’s struggling, than move him to guard.

But for year 1. Sure. Coaches should put the best line they can. If he’s the pick, only him, Fant and McGovern are sure starters. Those 3 guys are flexible. Van Rotten, Edoga, Lewis and hopefully another rookie can compete for the other 2 spots.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, viffer said:

Yes, exactly. You don't waste a high first round pick on a guard, and leave 2 or 3 stud receivers on the board. Pick up a guard later.

Sure, maybe we can get a guard like Ducasse in the second round or Winters in the third round.  Both are busts.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Alka said:

Becton is a massive figure and a road grader.  With the more athletic quicker defensive ends in the league, Becton would most definitely struggle at left tackle.

What if the Jets put Becton in a left guard?  The guy is massive and would flourish at that position.  Fant at left tackle, move Lewis to right guard and say goodbye to Winters. Let Lewis and Van Roten fight it out for right guard.

Becton is bigger and stronger than Q. Nelson who the Colts picked up in the top 5 picks of the draft a couple years ago, and the guy is an all-pro.

Becton could possibly be an all-pro at left guard.  Yes, he is not technically sound like Nelson is, but try to run through or around Becton and see what happens.

Becton could then either stay at that position, or possibly develop into a tackle for either the left side or right side down the road.

If we pass on Lamb or Jeudy for a chubby guard, I'm throwing my cat through my television. I don't even have a cat, but I will adopt for this purpose.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

If we pass on Lamb or Jeudy for a chubby guard, I'm throwing my cat through my television. I don't even have a cat, but I will adopt for this purpose.

I called the ASPCA and they've run out of cats.  They do have some poodles left.

• Haha 1

I am more confident the Jets can find two competent starters at guard - two of of Van Roten, Winters, Lewis, and McGovern with a draft pick at center - than I am two competent tackles out of Fant, Edoga, and McDermott.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Yeah who wants to protect our franchise QB!? Rubbish

Just now, TNJet said:

The best question is...how are his feet? Does he move well laterally? If not he'll be a Guard.

His feet are fine and he’s actually fast for his size he ran a 5.11 40

To put it in perspective:

Mekhi Becton 40-5.11

D’Brickashaw Ferguson 40 - 5.08

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Great... so we pass on Lamb so that we can draft a big project who needs to have his starting position changed?  

Are you crazy?

Better cut the Lamb umbilical cord man, he won't be the pick. We get Jeudy before him I'm sure.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

His feet are fine and he’s actually fast for his size he ran a 5.11 40

To put it in perspective:

Mekhi Becton 40-5.11

D’Brickashaw Ferguson 40 - 5.08

If true thats good. I want any of the Tackles so I'm on board. I just prefer the other 3 first.