Luxury vs. Necessity

I have seen a theme throughout the board and throughout the fan base: inability to decipher between what is a LUXURY and what is a NECESSITY when building a successful NFL franchise--or frankly, building ANY business.

Let's dive deeper, shall we?

Luxury: the state of great comfort and extravagant living.

Necessity: the fact of being required or indispensable.

Ok...so, when building an NFL franchise, a successful one, a long term, sustainable one, you can file SAFETY under "luxury".  What does this mean?  This means that you do not NEED an All Pro safety to build a Super Bowl winning franchise, let alone a playoff franchise which is what we need.  Ok?  Make sense?

In addition, a top 15 pick, top of the draft Wide Receiver, you might ask?  Is also what you might call a LUXURY...this is not a NECESSITY when building a successful NFL franchise.  When you are trying to protect your QB, keep him upright, give him time to develop, Safeties and Wide Receivers are LUXURIES.  Safety is a MAJOR luxury and a top wide receiver is a lower level luxury but, a luxury nonetheless.  When you build a franchise, when you build a successful business, you START with necessities...then, if you have time, energy and resources, you add in luxuries once you have the basic foundation of success set...

Now, you might ask, what is a NECESSITY, when building a franchise or a successful business?  A Left Tackle.  Offensive Tackle.  Steady, stable offensive line. This is the foundation.  Would you build a mansion without a foundation?  Would you put $100.00 tires on a Maserati?  Would you buy a $3000 television and $10,000.00 furniture pieces if you are RENTING YOUR home?  NO.  The answer is no.  Those are not direct parallels but, these are fundamentals.  These things are the foundation of building success.

As we build this thing out and build around our potential "franchise QB", we need to BUILD THE FOUNDATION first...build the structure first...get fundamentally sound first...acquire the necessities first...Jamal Adams is not a necessity...a top 15 WR is not a necessity...

Tonight, we build our foundation by starting with a top 15 level offensive tackle...Joe Douglas is not a moron, Joe Douglas is not the guy buying the beautiful flat screen TV while living in his mom's basement...build the foundation...

It starts tonight.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

By the way some of you talk and think, I can only deduce the fact that you do not know how to build a firm, sustainable business with a firm foundation...and I am glad you are sitting on here tossing around your moronic opinions and not actually building a franchise.  Stick to your day jobs.

• Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 1

37 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

By the way some of you talk and think, I can only deduce the fact that you do not know how to build a firm, sustainable business with a firm foundation...and I am glad you are sitting on here tossing around your moronic opinions and not actually building a franchise.  Stick to your day jobs.

I think you're missing the point that a lack of WRs increase the risk of the QB getting sacked or injured.  The idea that only Offensive Line improvement will help protect Sam and reduce sacks is flawed.  A WR who beats coverage 2-3 seconds let's a QB release the ball earlier and mitigates the problem of having an OT who can only sustain a block for a short amount of time.

It's like asking whether a car's engine is a necessity or a luxury?  Would you pick having wheels (WR) or an engine (OT)?  Even if I don't have an engine I must have the wheels in order for a car to roll downhill with no power.  If there's no place for the QB to throw the ball then having OTs who can clock for 10 seconds won't even matter.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

How dare you criticize my foundation that’s made out of mashed potatoes!!

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

Understand the premise, but having a true #1 WR is important also in today’s nfl. How great was B Marshall a few years ago? Guy made a huge difference 

GREAT EXAMPLE

Problem: Mangold and Ferguson joined the team in 2006.

Braylon Edwards joined the team in 2009.

You JUST proved my point, thanks! Well done!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I think you're missing the point that a lack of WRs increase the risk of the QB getting sacked or injured.  The idea that only Offensive Line improvement will help protect Sam and reduce sacks is flawed.  A WR who beats coverage 2-3 seconds let's a QB release the ball earlier and mitigates the problem of having an OT who can only sustain a block for a short amount of time.

It's like asking whether a car's engine is a necessity or a luxury?  Would you pick having wheels (WR) or an engine (OT)?  Even if I don't have an engine I must have the wheels in order for a car to roll downhill with no power.  If there's no place for the QB to throw the ball then having OTs who can clock for 10 seconds won't even matter.

OL comes before WR every single day of the week when building a franchise.

Period.

• Sympathy 1

The line can protect Darnold all day, but if there is no one to throw the ball to, then it is meaningless. Offensive line is definitely, positively a necessity. But so is wide receiver. Quarterback is a non-necessity if there is no one to throw to...

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

PS WTF

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I think WR is an overrated first round pick 90% of the time. Good receivers don’t make a team. Good OL change teams so I agree with you.

FACTS.

Logical guy. Probably a decent business man or woman.

Also, probably has a bachelor's degree.

1 minute ago, southtown24th said:

Period.

Yes, and we already brought in 4 OL in FA. But it is stupid to take a tackle at 11 if none of the one's you want are there. Reaching for a tackle and passing up stud receivers is a recipe for another no-playoff season (or a few more...).

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, southtown24th said:

PS WTF

Does a great OLine guarantee a 1,000 yard rusher?  Nope.  You need a player called a Running Back.  Likewise, a great OLine doesn't guarantee a QB not getting sacked.

Sam would be served well by having some targets that get open so he doesn't have to sit back there and take sacks.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Period.

Unless you need a WR more than a OL because you've started the rebuild and the OL available when you pick won't add to the team as much as the WR.  

You have no clue what JD thinks about his OL right now.  

6 minutes ago, viffer said:

Yes, and we already brought in 4 OL in FA. But it is stupid to take a tackle at 11 if none of the one's you want are there. Reaching for a tackle and passing up stud receivers is a recipe for another no-playoff season (or a few more...).

If no OT is there at 11, you trade back...duh.

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Does a great OLine guarantee a 1,000 yard rusher?  Nope.  You need a player called a Running Back.  Likewise, a great OLine doesn't guarantee a QB not getting sacked.

Sam would be served well by having some targets that get open so he doesn't have to sit back there and take sacks.  

right...that's not the argument.

The argument is: which one comes first? And a solid OL comes first EVERY SINGLE DAY...

Sorry, you lose.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Unless you need a WR more than a OL because you've started the rebuild and the OL available when you pick won't add to the team as much as the WR.  

You have no clue what JD thinks about his OL right now.  

guess what? We will know in 5-6-7 hours...and I will bet you he is prioritizing OL, like I would, because he's not an idiot...

9 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

GREAT EXAMPLE

Problem: Mangold and Ferguson joined the team in 2006.

Braylon Edwards joined the team in 2009.

You JUST proved my point, thanks! Well done!

think I get what you’re saying here...not sure why brought up B Edwards 

I’m on the draft a tackle train but won’t dismiss the top WR....Need playmakers as well. Ask a KC fan who’s more important 

T Hill or E Fisher

in the mood to play devils advocate today 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Titan24 said:

think I get what you’re saying here...not sure why brought up B Edwards 

I’m on the draft a tackle train but won’t dismiss the top WR....Need playmakers as well. Ask a KC fan who’s more important 

T Hill or E Fisher

in the mood to play devils advocate today 

I didn't say we don't need a WR.

What I am saying is: we need a big time LT FIRST...then the WR comes AFTER that...

5 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

guess what? We will know in 5-6-7 hours...and I will bet you he is prioritizing OL, like I would, because he's not an idiot...

You may be right.  And I think that's the way he could go

Or he may think a stud WR will help the team more than the 3rd or 4th best T would.  

Which is why there is no you draft the OL first period here.  

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You may be right.  And I think that's the way he could go

Or he may think a stud WR will help the team more than the 3rd or 4th best T would.  

Which is why there is no you draft the OL first period here.  

we will see.

I bet my mortgage he goes OT.

1 hour ago, viffer said:

The line can protect Darnold all day, but if there is no one to throw the ball to, then it is meaningless. Offensive line is definitely, positively a necessity. But so is wide receiver. Quarterback is a non-necessity if there is no one to throw to...

My contention is that the best WR can't get open in time enough if the line is not providing time. I am enamored by CeeDee. I would love him in a Jets uniform. Having said that, LT would still be a weakness, yes none of the guys on this team are adequate at that position. Darnold would again take a beating and miss time. Darnold had no confidence in his line and his play reflected it. I can say with a high degree of confidence that with a very good OL, whomever the Jets use as a weapon, would look 20% better. 

2 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

My contention is that the best WR an't get open in time enough if the line is not providing time. I am enamored by CeeDee. I would love him in a Jets uniform. Having said that, LT would still be a weakness, yes none of the guys on this team are adequate at that position. Darnold would again take a beating and miss time. Darnold had no confidence in his line and his play reflected it. I can say with a high degree of confidence that with a very good OL, whomever the Jets use as a weapon, would look 20% better. 

WR is sexy.

And I love sexy.

But we have sucked for SO LONG that it's not a good time to be sexy...necessity over luxury.

• Upvote 1

I could create an entire list of nothing but 1st RD WRs full of Hall of Famers.

Many from just born and raised Florida too lol. 

I guess they were just luxury gimmicky gimmicks for offenses to feature and utilize too. 

ha. 

It was really Mawae, Mangold and Ferguson who were the luxeries within a passing league @ LT/C who couldn't keep Penny/Mark healthy couldn't catch TD passes for any of their QBs and couldn't win any SBs neither hah within a passing league they couldn't even rank as a top 5 NFL PASSING ATTACK. 

Give me the luxury RD1 WR. Please and thank you. 

I guess WR is a luxury we haven't been able to offensively afford as it's been 24/19 years ago since we've ever drafted one 1st round. 

(hello Thomas Jones/Shonn Greene let's run 40+x per game and call it Defense Wins Championships and SMASH MOUTH FOOTBALL awesome guys sounds like your JETS since 1996 and 2001

can't pass for crap offenses leaving Sanchez with Mason/Plaxico but with Marshall and Decker Jet fans got to celebrate WRs scoring TOUCHDOWNS again yaaayyy hand clap for the luxury afterthought receivers. 

This thread is genius. 

i heard Cadillac makes the greatest luxury cars (I have one, 2017 tho).

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.4b6cd53778bbdf6917a8335d30f8e506.jpg

Welcome to 2020 where elite NFL QBs have elite Luxury WR's who score all the TDs as the ones who put the points on the board (hello 2020 meet Luxury living). 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I could create an entire list of nothing but 1st RD WRs full of Hall of Famers.

Many from just born and raised Florida too lol. 

I guess they were just luxury gimmicky gimmicks for offenses to feature and utilize too. 

ha. 

It was really Mawae, Mangold and Ferguson who were the luxeries within a passing league @ LT/C who couldn't keep Penny/Mark healthy couldn't catch TD passes for any of their QBs and couldn't win any SBs neither hah within a passing league they couldn't even rank as a top 5 NFL PASSING ATTACK. 

Give me the luxury RD1 WR. Please and thank you. 

I guess WR is a luxury we haven't been able to offensively afford as it's been 24/19 years ago since we've ever drafted one 1st round. 

(hello Thomas Jones/Shonn Greene let's run 40+x per game and call it Defense Wins Championships and SMASH MOUTH FOOTBALL awesome guys sounds like your JETS since 1996 and 2001

can't pass for crap offenses leaving Sanchez with Mason/Plaxico but with Marshall and Decker Jet fans got to celebrate WRs scoring TOUCHDOWNS again yaaayyy hand clap for the luxury afterthought receivers. 

This thread is genius. 

i heard Cadillac makes the greatest luxury cars (I have one, 2017 tho).

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.4b6cd53778bbdf6917a8335d30f8e506.jpg

Welcome to 2020 where elite NFL QBs have elite Luxury WR's who score all the TDs as the ones who put the points on the board (hello 2020 meet Luxury living). 

ehhhh no cadillac for me

for gavones