Luxury vs. Necessity

southtown24th

3 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Well that is an Italian word and I am 50/50 Italian and Irish so good call on the luxurious Cadillac.

If only the Jets offense had one

(hello 1996 and 2001). 

ahaha I am 50 Italian 50 German/Irish.   Cadillacs are nice cars, very nice...just reminds me too much of Ortley Beach, NJ.

• Upvote 1

As a Queens kid who moved to Florida age 15 I've got my money on Jerry Jeudy and the state of Florida vs. any of these 2020 O-Lineman lol. 

Deion Sanders.
Ray Lewis.
Emmitt Smith.
Michael Irvin.
Brian Dawkins.
Devin Hester.
Chad Johnson (Ochocinco).
Frank Gore.
Chris Johnson.
Derrick Brooks.
Warren Sapp.
Santana Moss.
Andre Johnson.
Laveranues Coles
Deacon Jones.
Vince Wilfork.
Anquan Boldin.
Derrick Thomas.
Edgerrin James.
Leon Washington (Jet fan favorite).
Antonio Cromartie.
Fred Taylor.
Jevon Kearse.
Willis McGahaee.
LeRoy Butler.
Patrick Peterson.
Jonathan Vilma.
Bo Jackson.
Sean Taylor (RIP kid).

I can't even name them all.

Lamar Jackson.
Dalvin Cook.
Fowler Jr (we share the same 4 years old niece together as my sisters 1st daughter my first ever niece had a baby (now my great niece) with his little brother who I love him to death awesome kid to my niece knew him since he was just a middle school kid (way faster than his big brother but tore his ACL Akron) as my family and the Fowler family have been close friends for almost 10 years now too many awesome foods to count and I've continued to bust his balls about one day playing for my Jets every chance I get knew Fowler before he became a Florida Gator same city St.Pete as every Florida Football family loves FOOTBALL down here
Xavier Rhodes.
T.Y Hilton.
Antonio Brown.
Amari Cooper.
Frank Gore.
Geno Atkins.
Nick Bosa.
Joey Bosa.
Khalil Mack.
Derwin James.
Derick Henry.

I'm tired.

Vince Carter.
Roy Jones Jr.

Too many to count.

I've got my money on Jerry Jeudy and the State of Florida as Jerry Jeudy is our prized possession tonight he's the pride of the entire State of Florida's 2020 Draft Class tonight. 

I know enough about Florida Football (starting since before high school) as it's a religion and a culture down here and exactly 20 years later I 100% know that Jerry Jeudy is one of the most freakish Florida athletes of All-Time once on the football field coming out of HS/NCAA.

And you're a fool if you ever pass him up (while staring @ you dead in the face) for an overrated 1st round O-Lineman who's not on Jerry's skill level because Jerry himself is on another level.

An elite State of Florida level.

2 hours ago, southtown24th said:

This false notion that it's: "either or" is not not what I am getting at here...

I am saying: you build the offensive line, make it solid, make it good, make it a great foundation...

THEN

you add in the luxuries AFTER the necessities.

It’s also a false notion that WRs are a luxury, not a necessity. 

And you can improve both the OL and WR corps in any order in the draft, and yet have essentially improved them simultaneously. The team isn’t going to suffer between tonight and tomorrow if they take a WR In the first and an OT in the second. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Does a great OLine guarantee a 1,000 yard rusher?  Nope.  You need a player called a Running Back.  Likewise, a great OLine doesn't guarantee a QB not getting sacked.

Sam would be served well by having some targets that get open so he doesn't have to sit back there and take sacks.  

I think there is a really good argument for great oline being able to produce a 1,000yrd rusher with an average or below average RB and elevate an average to below average QB. I keep bringing up the Titans. They are a perfect example. Henry is a good RB, he's not below average. But he's also not a star RB, he did not break 1,000rds until his 3rd season. Every year he was on the titans they kept building the O-line. Last year they had a nasty O-line. He had a career year, the Titans went to the AFCCG with an average QB in Tannenhill and a pretty weak receiving corps. AJ Brown being their one and only major threat. It was the dominance of the O-line that allowed them to do that. Sure the Defense was stout, but if you watched the games, it was clear that the play of the O-line is what lead to their offense controlling the game.

This is just one example. There are numerous examples where a dominant O-line elevates the QB play, the RB play, the WR play, every aspect of the offense. And the Jets actually have solid TEs and a talented QB and a proven vet RB and SOME talent at WR (Crowder, Perriman). While at OT they have Fant and Edoga. Literally, thats who we are going with? 

And the argument here is do we take a WR at 11 or do we take an OT if one is there. I don't think ANYBODY is suggesting we ignore the WR position in the draft or reach for the 5th OT on our board. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, slats said:

It’s also a false notion that WRs are a luxury, not a necessity. 

And you can improve both the OL and WR corps in any order in the draft, and yet have essentially improved them simultaneously. The team isn’t going to suffer between tonight and tomorrow if they take a WR In the first and an OT in the second. 

one 

then

the

next

5 hours ago, southtown24th said:

FACTS.

Logical guy. Probably a decent business man or woman.

Also, probably has a bachelor's degree.

I simultaneously completely agree with your premise and find much of your posting to be completely churlish.

O-line is "the" necessity behind QB. After QB, O-line play is the potentiator for the both the pass and run games. Although WR and RB are necessary the O-line is the foundation.  Without that foundation you have what we saw last year.

I don't know if being condescending is just part of your schtick on the boards but the piece of paper you and I share is barely a barometer for intelligence. If it is a barometer for anything it is for discipline. It takes discipline to complete a curricular regimen, there are plenty of disciplined dolts who were able to make it through college.

I have a bachelor's degree and work in corporate asset management and sales for a real estate investment trust. Without being overly specific, I produced enough that my corporate overlords saw fit to award me more than the allotted "max" bonus. I worked with a lot of small businessmen and women who don't have degrees. They started their businesses while their peers were in college and I don't necessarily think they are less  intelligent or are worse off for it.

That being said I would definitely rather we shore up the O-line in the first round and get a shiny new WR in the second. A trade back would be ideal in my mind but taking any of the top 4 OL will go down as a win in my book tonight.

21 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

I simultaneously completely agree with your premise and find much of your posting to be completely churlish.

O-line is "the" necessity behind QB. After QB, O-line play is the potentiator for the both the pass and run games. Although WR and RB are necessary the O-line is the foundation.  Without that foundation you have what we saw last year.

I don't know if being condescending is just part of your schtick on the boards but the piece of paper you and I share is barely a barometer for intelligence. If it is a barometer for anything it is for discipline. It takes discipline to complete a curricular regimen, there are plenty of disciplined dolts who were able to make it through college.

I have a bachelor's degree and work in corporate asset management and sales for a real estate investment trust. Without being overly specific, I produced enough that my corporate overlords saw fit to award me more than the allotted "max" bonus. I worked with a lot of small businessmen and women who don't have degrees. They started their businesses while their peers were in college and I don't necessarily think they are less  intelligent or are worse off for it.

That being said I would definitely rather we shore up the O-line in the first round and get a shiny new WR in the second. A trade back would be ideal in my mind but taking any of the top 4 OL will go down as a win in my book tonight.

sounds like you're poorer than me.

that's too bad.

22 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

PS where is your paper from?

Mine is from Villanova.  Doubt you can top that education at CUNY Purchase.

24 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

PPS how do you have two jobs?

the first one doesn't pay the bills?

Jeez. That's tough, I am sorry.  Set up a Venmo and I will send you a few shekels for good measure.

55 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

sounds like you're poorer than me.

that's too bad.

54 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

PS where is your paper from?

Mine is from Villanova.  Doubt you can top that education at CUNY Purchase.

52 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

PPS how do you have two jobs?

the first one doesn't pay the bills?

Jeez. That's tough, I am sorry.  Set up a Venmo and I will send you a few shekels for good measure.

Lol I think I love you already 😘.

Took three posts to get this out.

First, proper syntax would be poorer than "I", you would think coming from the hive of scum and villainy that is Villanova you would have that one down.

Second, my paper is from lowly SUNY Buffalo, alas you have me beat when it comes to elitist bs most humans don't care about. I went to an elitist Catholic high school so instead of continuing down that road I took the full tuition scholarship to UB and promptly partied it down the drain.😂

Third, no reading comprehension at Villanova surprising, it's  one position which entails both asset management and sales. Managing assets and leasing those assets.

However I do love parting a fool from his money, I'll PM you the Venmo info. 25 schmeckles should get me over the hump, thanks in advance. 

43 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

PPPS it's all a joke, in jest and a result of quarantine peak boredom.

relax.

enjoy the draft.

and all your jobs.

PPS.

Don't worry it's all fun and games to me .... I spent 3 weeks going back and forth with DWC calling him a Jamallpro Jock Strap sniffer just for fun ...

You can't hurt me I'm already dead inside.😜😘

My schtick is I say something semi serious and then get into a back and forth that devolves into debauchery. Why? Because it's kind of fun. 

Plus some people just show you where their buttons are and I can't help but press them. Love you @Defense Wins Championships

Jamal bad .... Peepee poopoo good😘

6 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

PPS.

Don't worry it's all fun and games to me .... I spent 3 weeks going back and forth with DWC calling him a Jamallpro Jock Strap sniffer just for fun ...

You can't hurt me I'm already dead inside.😜😘

My schtick is I say something semi serious and then get into a back and forth that devolves into debauchery. Why? Because it's kind of fun. 

Plus some people just show you where their buttons are and I can't help but press them. Love you @Defense Wins Championships

Jamal bad .... Peepee poopoo good😘

Join the ZOOM Chat with us Jet fans having a blast