JETS Draft Weekend WR guide (Paradis edition)

You tend to be focused on good receivers - particularly in the R2+ area - and seem to have more of a comfort with big bodied guys with ball skills. Which makes sense, as those guys have translated well historically. It’s where my comfort level and preference lean as well.

That being said - Gase seems to prefer speed at the WR position and Douglas has alluded to wanting to add speed at the WR position. Perhaps I’m taking them too literally - but I’m curious to see what way they go.

I’d be (pleasantly) surprised if they take Higgins, Pittman, AGG, Hodgins, Edwards, is Hill. Think several of the safest prospects and I would guess they don’t fit the prototype the Jets are looking for. Would love to be wrong.

Have you watched Darnell Mooney at all?

7 minutes ago, derp said:

You tend to be focused on good receivers - particularly in the R2+ area - and seem to have more of a comfort with big bodied guys with ball skills. Which makes sense, as those guys have translated well historically. It’s where my comfort level and preference lean as well.

That being said - Gase seems to prefer speed at the WR position and Douglas has alluded to wanting to add speed at the WR position. Perhaps I’m taking them too literally - but I’m curious to see what way they go.

I’d be (pleasantly) surprised if they take Higgins, Pittman, AGG, Hodgins, Edwards, is Hill. Think several of the safest prospects and I would guess they don’t fit the prototype the Jets are looking for. Would love to be wrong.

Have you watched Darnell Mooney at all?

thanks

I flirted with spending some time on Tulane, but if I have a weak spot, it's that I basically take under-weight guys right off my board. 175 @ 6ft is not gonna work. At least as a GM i'm not touching it. 

From what i remember, he reminded me of Hollywood Higgins. Great off line, sheds him man with relative ease, but get pushed around too. 

Agree to disagree on Lamb. 

Agree that Laviska is not a 2nd rd prospect

John Hightower is better than Joe Reed and will be a really good NFL WR. Would be an excellent Robby Anderson replacement. 

Otherwise, can't really disagree with your assessments. It's an UNREAL WR Draft class and we need to come away with at least 2 of these guys. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, peebag said:

I'm curious as to why you dislike CeeDee Lamb?  Did he piss in your martini?

i don't dislike him. I've gone out of my way to say I love him...

If you said no to claypool at #11, does that mean you dislike him? Lamb is an incomplete prospect who I love in round 2. 

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Proche as a late round eventual replacement for Jamison Crowder?

guys like Proche are hanging off trees in your front yard. Or cacti?

I think the Jets are the first time to have to pay for a slot WR. 

Unrelated @Tony The Wiz  - care to get involved in this thread? I noticed you don't post much if it's not your own thread.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

guys like Proche are hanging off trees in your front yard. Or cacti?

I think the Jets are the first time to have to pay for a slot WR. 

Unrelated @Tony The Wiz  - care to get involved in this thread? I noticed you don't post much if it's not your own thread.  

I'm sorry about that but I am always looking at tape and preparing the next position. I love Proche. His hands are excellent. I watched many games he was in this year 

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

As you can see, while this class is thought of as "Deepest" and "Best class in 20 years"... it's really just top heavy. Day 2 will be a bonanza of WR selections, who all appear to be promising... but the cliff on day 3 is very, very real. JETS cannot afford to "wait around" for a WR while they splurge on OL, CB, Edge... which has been the theme of years past more or less. 

While I agree with you that this class is top heavy and the Jets shouldn't wait around to take a WR, you certainly don't mention A LOT of names, so theres a ton of prospects with nice upside (especially if you are looking for size) who will be available late in the draft. I think taking a finished product early and a developmental prospect late makes a ton of sense for the Jets. 

15 minutes ago, PepPep said:

While I agree with you that this class is top heavy and the Jets shouldn't wait around to take a WR, you certainly don't mention A LOT of names, so theres a ton of prospects with nice upside (especially if you are looking for size) who will be available late in the draft. I think taking a finished product early and a developmental prospect late makes a ton of sense for the Jets. 

go on... tell me of these late round guys that i've forgotten about... I didn't see anyone outside of maybe the Wisconsin kid who beat a rape charge. Not interested. Open to hearing of others. 

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I’ve been warming on the idea of Hodgins in the 3rd or 4th to pair with a possible Ruggs at 11 scenario.   I love the way Hodgins goes up and gets the ball.   He would be a nice compliment to Ruggs and a MUCH needed red zone target.  

try and find some bad tape on Hodgins! It doesn't exist... I think at this point, I have him as a round 3 just because. His game is tight. 

Rounds 2 and 3 are the sweet spot for a WR in this Draft.  The talent is compressed, meaning there's no Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson here....but there's a large quantity of guys who are quite similar in terms of grading.

Just a lot of really good late 1st round to early 3rd round WR talent.  I think the Jets are sitting pretty at #48, 68 and 79.

18 minutes ago, Paradis said:

oof. 

1. Higgins
  2. Mims
  3. Pittman
  4. Hodges
  5. Duvernay
  6. Gandy-Golden
  7. Claypool
  8. V. Jefferson
  9. B. Edwards
  10. C. Johnson

If the top 3 are gone at 48, would your plan be to trade down then take Hodgins? 

Or take something else and target Hodgins at 68 (or in a trade up)?

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If the top 3 are gone at 48, would your plan be to trade down then take Hodgins? 

Or take something else and target Hodgins at 68 (or in a trade up)?

Horrible position to be in - and i've considered the exact sentiment you're illustrating... there comes a point where some of these guys have a little more work to do than others -- and really are a round 3 grade WR... 

I think if I got the sense that the WR were coming off the board hot and fast, I'd probably be comfortable taking Hodges, mayyyybe Duvernay... I know guys like Jefferson/Edwards will be there in R3...

• Upvote 2

Just now, Paradis said:

Horrible position to be in - and i've considered the exact sentiment you're illustrating... there comes a point where some of these guys have a little more work to do than others -- and really are a round 3 grade WR... 

I think if I got the sense that the WR were coming off the board hot and fast, I'd probably be comfortable taking Hodges, mayyyybe Duvernay... I know guys like Jefferson/Edwards will be there in R3...

I noticed no Shenault in your top 10.  I thought you liked him?

ROUND 2 (#48):  (expected to be gone for sure; Mims, Jefferson, Lamb)

1. Higgins (Clemson) - Chances are he's gone, if not, slam dunk pick. Prototype (X) on the outside.  Hands, ball tracking, run blocking, total package. MASTER of the back shoulder; a Darnold special.
  2. M. Pittman (USC) - Floor over ceiling. Pittman is super safe, bolt-on split end who will force Defenses to honor the perimeter. 
  3. B. Aiyuk (ARZ St) - Ceiling over floor. Still developing, yet explosive. Underutilized in a conservative offense. Big Play threat every time he takes off downfield. Ruggs-lite.
  4. D. Duvernay (Tex) - Smash mouth WR. Can play anywhere you ask him, but excels in a Julian Edelman capacity. Sam's true safety valve, and a FINISHER

I'm so happy you were wrong about that :D

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, morny said:

What was your take on Mim's then mate - clear you rate him but didn't do a summary as assumed he'd be gone. If you don't mind me asking?

i've been aroused by Mims since he stood out year ago on film while i was watching a different player. He's got a rare knack for knowing where he has to be and when... great timing on his routes, a natural tracking the ball into his hands and plays through DBs like an NFL WR.

Slam Dunk

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

So why did he drop all the way to almost the 3rd?

Why did Keenan Allen drop to the 3? 

I said in the OP that every year at least one player lasts further than you'd expect. I guess that was Mims. Their loss is our gain

• Upvote 1