RobR...the floor is yours!

The word “potential” doesn’t mean this guy is some average player who might be good some day. Bechtin is really good now and has the chance to be the game’s most dominant LT for the next decade. It’s a no brainer type pick. We got very lucky to land this guy at 11.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What I meant to was that doesn’t speak highly of Fant if Becton is already better than him. Should have said free agent and it agency. 

Why? One was an UDFA and the other was a high first rounder. 

21 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What I meant to was that doesn’t speak highly of Fant if Becton is already better than him. Should have said free agent and it agency. 

I don't think that matters much.  Becton wasn't likely going to start at LT right away, while Fant essentially has a 1-year deal.  Fant is the stopgap.  Becton is the future.  My guess is Fant is the Week 1 starter at LT while Becton starts at RT.  But I could easily be wrong.

It doesn't necessarily speak poorly of Fant that we drafted Becton and he's currently our best OT.  

13 hours ago, JTJet said:

Imagine posting your reply and still being so wrong. 

If he was "generational" he wouldn't have been picked 3rd at his position. Period. 

I don't think I've ever read anything quite as stupid as the above.  No offense.

the first one I checked was Jerry Rice and sure  enough he was the 3rd WR taken after Al Toon and Eddie Brown.  I'll bet I could find the same for every position on the football field.  

Where you are drafted within your position class proves nothing about whether you are a "generational talent" or not.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I don't think I've ever read anything quite as stupid as the above.  No offense.

the first one I checked was Jerry Rice and sure  enough he was the 3rd WR taken after Al Toon and Eddie Brown.  I'll bet I could find the same for every position on the football field.  

Where you are drafted within your position class proves nothing about whether you are a "generational talent" or not.  

Ok let me clarify. 

It's easy to compare past drafts with hall of famers after their body of works have completed to incoming rookies. Very easy. I too could find 100 instances as you said. 

But when we talk about a "generational talent" being available in a draft these days, and then he goes 3rd at his own position, a very real question should be asked as to why.

If he is as sure fire hall of fame as half the people on the board claim, how come 2 other OTs were taken before him, how come at least 2 other teams passed on even drafting him in favor of another position? 

I will bet you a buffalo nickel there are far more instances of players of his type being over drafted, than the opposite. 

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

Ok let me clarify. 

It's easy to compare past drafts with hall of famers after their body of works have completed to incoming rookies. Very easy. I too could find 100 instances as you said. 

But when we talk about a "generational talent" being available in a draft these days, and then he goes 3rd at his own position, a very real question should be asked as to why.

If he is as sure fire hall of fame as half the people on the board claim, how come 2 other OTs were taken before him, how come at least 2 other teams passed on even drafting him in favor of another position? 

I will bet you a buffalo nickel there are far more instances of players of his type being over drafted, than the opposite. 

Of course there's risk and of course there are more players who get over-drafted than under-drafted.

But using that as a reason why you don't draft Becton or why he can't be a generational talent or even that he's simply UNLIKELY to be a generational talent is just silly.  I posted 8 different instances just in the last 2 decades where a guy got passed on at his position group and ended up being an elite player at his position, and there were a bunch more I didn't include. 

If more than half of all drafts have that happen at least once in the first 2 rounds, why can't Becton be it?  Why is it a sure thing the other GM's got it right with their analysis of the OT's? 

He got passed on because he's an unusual talent and with a non-traditional build for his position.  It's how a lot of guys get passed over.  Drew Brees was passed on for a full round because he's "too short".  Ray Lewis was passed over for nearly a full round because he was "too small".  JJ Watt was passed over in the top 10 because he was a "tweener".  Aaron Donald was passed over in the top 10 for a similar reason.  

Becton was passed over because he's "too big to be an OL".  That's really the crux of it.  The drug test was really not a major deterrent.  His size was not a good enough reason to pass on a guy with his potential.  It might not work out, but its not because Dave Gettleman and the Browns thought Becton wasn't an elite talent.  It's because of his size.  Thomas and Wills were "safer" picks, the kind Mike Maccagnan would make.  They very easily could end up regretting those decisions.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Dan Marino was the sixth! QB taken in 1983. It's right up there among the most ridiculous comments I've seen for a while. Countless examples of HOFer's taken after somebody lesser.

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

Ok let me clarify. 

That’s an unprovable counterfactual logic. Every team that drafts a player at the same position after the first automatically got the worst player. It also means that all teams needing the same position are all mirror images of each other.

We’re dealing with personalities that vary in their responses to their environments.